crap... i think im a newb again X(

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Phase
Location: Invading your colony wile you waste time reading the forum.

crap... i think im a newb again X(

Post by Phase » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm

its been probably over a year since I last played starport to any degree, and Im getting back into rebangs... But needless to say things are different.
Colonies take more time and effort, but also make more money... and planetary defense has taken on a new dimension. Despite all the changes I'm able to hold second or third place most of the time...

My question is, how are some people getting 8k followers in the first few hours of a game? Solar cannons are very different now, they dont seem to be as powerful per shot... what is a good setting to keep them on? Also some people seem to have nearly limitless amounts of cash early on without using tokens... Although with the upgraded CEO ship trading seems to be more worthwhile.

Any advice is appreciated.

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm

its tokens. butheres nothign wrong with that. cuz if it wasnt for them, you wouldnt be playing.

Etho

Post by Etho » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm

1. The farther you get from Sol, the better the port prices for trading get. Start the rebang early so that you can hit the ports before everyone else.

2. The only real defense you need on your colonies is a good solar. Oceans, arctics, mountains, and rockies are the way to go. Put down at least 50 flaks for filler, and your solar should be able to do the rest.

3. You can recruit an infinite number of colonists from Sol. If you manage to build your base within 2 to 5 hops of sol, you can do amazing things.

4. Start early. The sooner you get your colonies built, the more exp you will end up making from them. I usually don't have to do very much during the last 7 days because I get so much done in the first 7 that no one can keep up.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:43 am

-notorious- wrote:its tokens. butheres nothign wrong with that. cuz if it wasnt for them, you wouldnt be playing.

:roll:

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 am

I also know some people *cough*whopostedinthistopic*cough* will come into the game late with a buddy and offer barging or something of value to the high ranked people and try to get a contract, then they hunt the guy down.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:59 pm

?? Any newb can take a 10 shot max mil with no lasers/flaks :shock:

Plump up the col with 100 flaks, a couple of lasers at the entrance, with as big a solar as possible, ( dont make earths your first planet, unless u want them to get a bunch of colonists overnight) I preferred mountains as a base planet, the harvesting gets nice solar, with a chunk of military to make the solar fast and build flaks for other planets... i usually start the other planets the next day, quickly (when i have a nice amount of resources to change into other resources for those cols ad build em with cash gotten overnight.

Dont build near sol, just get some nice rep from taxiing, killing evil npcs, whatever, and bring 150 colonists with you, whenever u pass sol.

Generally very hard to take on a rebang unless u get a nuke-token newb, or a good photoner with space to photon, and a low solar.

Make sure you dont have a 10 shot with 0 mil, the solar will be so slow, a good player can slide through it, torp a bit, then dodge the next one.

I tend to take n00b colonies too, they normally have some nice cash on em! :O

But talk to moleman, hes a pwnzorisational rebanger! :D

Nova

Phase
Location: Invading your colony wile you waste time reading the forum.

Post by Phase » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 pm

BlackNova wrote: Plump up the col with 100 flaks, a couple of lasers at the entrance, with as big a solar as possible, ( dont make earths your first planet, unless u want them to get a bunch of colonists overnight) I preferred mountains as a base planet, the harvesting gets nice solar, with a chunk of military to make the solar fast and build flaks for other planets... i usually start the other planets the next day, quickly (when i have a nice amount of resources to change into other resources for those cols ad build em with cash gotten overnight.

Nova
So... your mountainous has a weapons factory and solar cannon on day one and you cancel UN protection?...

Thanks for advice on planet types though, very helpfull.

I had an earthlike with this layout

with about 3 rows of lasers all around the dome to the right, and 4-5 rows at the blastoff, and a long long line of flaks on the left so that to wallslide you would have to make about 5-6 turns. sliding on the right was not an option as it was connected right to the dome... 50% mil strength and 4 shot solar, but a guy managed to take it without even reshielding... all the ports within 3 jumps had very little money in them and the shield supply was at 100% only a few hours after it happened... I'm still confused what I did wrong with the defense there...

anyway im too busy lately to be arsed with defenses so i think ill try a pax game... any tips for those?

OpsO

Post by OpsO » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:41 am

Can't help on the PAX games, but you need to buy a lot of shields before the availability goes below 100% it is not like the other comodities.

toast

Post by toast » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 pm

although the percentage doesnt change for shields, the price does. I think you can only buy like..10k shields before the price changes.

Otherwise, flaks dont take off much shields. idk how hard that cap would be, but with two people, it might not be too hard. The only trick is getting in without getting pounded too bad.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Phase wrote:
BlackNova wrote: Plump up the col with 100 flaks, a couple of lasers at the entrance, with as big a solar as possible, ( dont make earths your first planet, unless u want them to get a bunch of colonists overnight) I preferred mountains as a base planet, the harvesting gets nice solar, with a chunk of military to make the solar fast and build flaks for other planets... i usually start the other planets the next day, quickly (when i have a nice amount of resources to change into other resources for those cols ad build em with cash gotten overnight.

Nova
So... your mountainous has a weapons factory and solar cannon on day one and you cancel UN protection?...

Thanks for advice on planet types though, very helpfull.

I had an earthlike with this layout

with about 3 rows of lasers all around the dome to the right, and 4-5 rows at the blastoff, and a long long line of flaks on the left so that to wallslide you would have to make about 5-6 turns. sliding on the right was not an option as it was connected right to the dome... 50% mil strength and 4 shot solar, but a guy managed to take it without even reshielding... all the ports within 3 jumps had very little money in them and the shield supply was at 100% only a few hours after it happened... I'm still confused what I did wrong with the defense there...

anyway im too busy lately to be arsed with defenses so i think ill try a pax game... any tips for those?
Ew, i didnt say i cancel u.n protection lol :D

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 am

Grimoire wrote:I also know some people *cough*whopostedinthistopic*cough* will come into the game late with a buddy and offer barging or something of value to the high ranked people and try to get a contract, then they hunt the guy down.
if ur talking about me. thats I love puppies. i play from day 1 to the end. and fair.

and if not then, i dunno...