Rebang tactics: selecting home sector.

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

KiT

Rebang tactics: selecting home sector.

Post by KiT » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 pm

So, i came back to SGE after about 9 month of abscence, though dont tihnk anybody remembers me - i got bored before i could actually acheive anything serious.
A week ago i decided to return and try out a rebang. I did relatively well, but i noticed that my colony building tactics are far from optimal, so i decided to discuss it with the veterans.

The two main choices i faced when selecting sector for my firs cols were if i needed a spaceport there and if i should had built 1 col at a time or many.

1. Spaceport or no spaceport?
Obviously, presence of spaceport gives huge benefits like important resources for sale, some free colonists, ability to sell planets' resources there. On the other hand, it makes colony much easier to detect (Spaceports with low supply/demand are a very good hint for invaders looking for cols). It also makes it alot cheaper fuel-wise for invaders to invade the colony since you dont need to spend fuel to warp to other sectors.
This time i found a sector with alot of planets of all kinds so i decided that i could build multiple colonies which would complement each others' demands.
2. One by one or all at once
Building colonies one by one usually makes it necessary to have a spaceports with all the resources nearby so it takes alot of money to either buy supplies for that col if you set all population to build, or spend it on buying buildings if you set colonists to harvest.
Having multiple colonies being built at once makes them all grow alot slower - its too expensive to rush buildings on each one, its harder to fill the colonies with colonists from starports since you have more colonies to populate. Since it takes longer for them to grow, it is more probable someone will discower them before they are defended well enough.

As i have said, i prefered many at once + no spaceport combo, hoping that nobody will find my colonies and that proper resourse exchange between them will make them all grow smoothly.
The main problem i met was inability to concentrate my colonists on building. Every colony had to harvest alot of resources since there were no starports to fill their needs. The result was a bit below my expectations - the colonies grew too slowly meaning that it i had to maximise colonists growth rate by making the colones have 0% taxes, meaning that i had no decent source of income besides trading.

I'd love too see rebang veterans tell us their prefered tactics on these points and discuss which tactic is more useful in which situations.

Smeagol...

Re: Rebang tactics: selecting home sector.

Post by Smeagol... » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 am

KiT wrote:dont tihnk anybody remembers me
Everyone remembers you....... your the antichrist.....

Your arti idea will get you wiped anywhere you start.....

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:43 am

Smeagol... wrote:

i hate to be an arse and agree with smeagol bt yeppers

KiT

Post by KiT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 am

Smeagol... wrote:

Ah hahah, i love you too, baby! i see you have missed me so much!

Well, good luck with that wiping thingy, because nobody remembers or gives a hug. So youll have to come and get me personally.

And speaking of artifacts...alas, the idea hasnt even ben implemented yet. But i see the idea of classic server everybody was whining for, has been implemented. Its soo populated and fun now, as i see, lol!

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:24 am

KiT wrote:
Smeagol... wrote:

Well, good luck with that wiping thingy, because nobody remembers or gives a hug. So youll have to come and get me personally.

And speaking of artifacts...alas, the idea hasnt even ben implemented yet. But i see the idea of classic server everybody was whining for, has been implemented. Its soo populated and fun now, as i see, lol!
Sadly no it hasn't. I think we should bring it up again. I'm all for the arti patch, seems the rest of these noobs need the same ol artifacts to be able to play the game, rofl.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 pm

The tactics described in my colony building guide should get you around 100k followers and at least 250k exp at the end of the bang. If you want to discuss something that was written in there that was unclear or if you have anything usefull to add (like these two points/questions you have) then please do.

- Starport/no starport: This is one of those things I think is very subtle and a matter of personal taste therefor I will give you my opinion together with the reason why so you can make your own conclusions.

Personally I always build colonies in a system with a port. Why? I usually build pretty far from sol (10-15 hops) and more recently even further away from starbases. This makes me feel pretty secure and isolated, most invaders use scanners anyway so they will find your colonies if the pass the system. You need several starports in the area for colonists and resources so I don't think it really matters if you have a port in your colonies system, if I'm invading and I see a port with low resources, I'll just start scanning the surrounding area and I will find your colonies anyway.

As for the fuel loss that invaders would suffer should they have to reshield in other systems; it's a good reason to not build in a system with a port but I think as a builder you will always suffer more from this disadvantage then invaders will, especially on rebangs where only 1 or 2 people will ever find your colonies.

-All at once/one by one: This is also a really good question, again I will give my personal opinion and on what ideas they are based on. I personally, start building 2-3 colonies, then after a few days when these colonies get to have some spare resources I plant an additional dome every 24-48h depending on the circumstances. The reason I start out with mutiple colonies is the resources problem, it's pretty annoying to get aneroobs for an earth every few hours for example, so I generally start build on 2 different plant types that can support eachother. Further more it's better to start building sooner as more exp can and will be gained this way.

On the other hand you don't want to start out with too many planets or you will have no spare fuel and cash for emergency situations, I think timing is a very important issue here so it's better to build too few colonies so you can learn what resources (resources in the general meaning of the word) you can use more efficiently and how many domes your building style can support.

After I get my first few colonies up and running I can start planting more domes which can be build with resources and money from the (semi-)complete colonies. I usually wait a few hours between dome dropping so I can get the necessary cash and fuel for defences, colonists, etc., this also insures that I don't end up with 5 or 5 colonies comming out of U.N. together while I don't have enough fuel to get them all defended.

Thx for reading, I hope you enjoyed it.

Nightmare

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:32 am

KiT wrote:
Smeagol... wrote:

Lol kit noone has forgot. Stick to rebangs youll be safe there but you won't last long in a perma, the moment you start to get noticed you'll have a group of angry vets after you.

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Close to sol / Far from sol: are you expecting a lot of invaders and/or a few good invaders, or just noobs and the occasional medium invader? If the first is the case, go for an area far from sol and other starbase. That will make vulturing and barging negs and stuff harder. If it's just a bunch of noobs facing you, go for close to sol. This will give you the benefit of close people source (earth) and close flak/laser source for your initial planets. Close to sol you can build a lot faster due to unlimited people nearby, but leaves your planet more vulnerable for the seasoned invader.

Port or no port?: Again, this depends on the kind of opponents you'll be facing. Remember that a fully maxed 10 shot 120 burst hard layout with no port for a couple of hops will most likely not be invaded, but it's also harder to start them out and you can't sell resources in the same system.

Which planets?: The planet you want to keep should always be hard to invade. I have a couple of layouts that I like building. Also remember that earths and oceans are harder to keep on dangerous solar as you need to pump it up with ore to keep it over 3 shot (or really big, but then they still wont do 10 shot, unless you have the good research). Mountains and rockies are best for solar power.

All at once/one at a time: Depends a lot on where you choose to build! If you are far from sol you'd want to have one or multiple feeder planets first to give you enough colonists and resources to build up your good planets. Then it all comes to how much cash you have to defend them all. After you've built a couple good planets, they will be giving you a lot of defenses and colonists and you'll have a lot of colonists around to start building multiple planets.

Advise: Before you start building, make sure you made a couple of mil and are in a CEO ship.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:08 pm

ignored everyone except nightmare.