He he killing off starport?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 57

Thavy

Post by Thavy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:36 pm

KUKA wrote:KUKA would like to say he has left the game because life got too busy, or because he was trying to kick a habit. KUKA would like to say that when he reads the forums it sounds like the game has gotten better and that the trend of pissing people off has been reversed, but the opposite is true.

It does not matter if the number of people playing has never been higher, because no-one knows what the number of people who WOULD have still been playing could have been if an attitude of "let's take the tedium out, and add fun gameplay elements" had been adopted. Heck, KUKA would have even been satisfied with "we won't do anything about the tedium, and instead will just add fun gameplay elements". Unfortunately, none of that can be said.

There will be the perpetual fan club bitches who endorse everything, and there will be the perpetual whiners who have a I love you man! about everything. But speaking as someone who had a lot of fun with this game for a long time - through a LOT of changes - and now has no more energy to be disappointed anymore, it is a true shame that there could not have been more universally applauded changes (ex. holdings detailed management) rather than the huge number of nerfing changes (ex. pollution, nuke limits, gravity, etc.).

Is it really that hard to come up with changes that improve the game for everyone?

QFT.........from a wise man.........KUKA the wisest starport player i know

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Indeed KUKA is a really wiseman.

Maybe if I can really get into the whole programming thing I'll give a go at making a game, if I ever do I'll email you MadAce :P.

I'm stickinga round cuz I still have a little bit of faith in Toonces, he screwed the game in beta, I left, came back and it was good. So I'm willing to wait a little to see what he comes up with altough my expectations are pretty low cuz I don't want to get too disappointed.

Nightmare

Dolphin

Post by Dolphin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:54 pm

Madace, I don't think the amount of players playing Starport matters if Toonces keeps making more and more servers. Its like hes tring to keep a quota. I want all my servers to hold 10 people... CRAP! The newest one has 30!!! AHHHH! I must make some more permas to balance this.

Weyoun

Post by Weyoun » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:34 pm

I'd like to clear something up on my end... I'm not just a 'fan club I love you man!' who endorses everything. I personally think that the 24-hour-negatives patch is a bit extreme, and would also put a vote on a time limit closer to a week. I think that just because a government is a democracy (citizens voting on their own laws etc) it shouldn't be banned from producing nukes, I don't see how the two are relative.

However, a big gripe of people is tedium... and I don't really understand it. It seems, (to me, note, only an opinion) that some people expect this to be more of a first person shooter, fly around kill and destroy, invade etc, muahahaha.... I've seen others try to maintain an actual 'character'... starting a barging corp even tho barging isn't the most profitable of careers... I've seen yet others practically refuse to invade, but rather consider themselved builders...

The fact of the matter is, at least imho, that this game is a combination of all... It's a Shooter, Strat, Building (Sim City?) game with RPG undertones. All of these aspects play into and off of eachother. Sure, it's tedious to have to ferry resources from ports to planets in the beginning to get your upgrades... It's tedious to run back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and well... you get the idea... Does anyone remember any of the old '-craft' games? (War, Star, etc?) You started with an SCV or a peasant and a dream... You had to mine minerals just to get more miners... And on campaign mode, you usually started with piss-donkey missions and extremely limited tech trees before it got very interesting...

Now, as far as tedious runs after an empire has already been established here... like let's say running resources from your own planets rather than ports... sure, again, it's tedious... but this isn't any different from any other sim-build type games... Micromanagement was always a necessity.

In otherwords, I don't understand why people are shocked or indignant about some of the things that, quite frankly, I thought everyone would just assume to be part of game mechanics. I know I did... When I first started this game I expected to have to go collect resources and money for expansion... And, because of that, I never expected that that would just go away either as I got more established.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:20 am

The main tedium that i know of comes from two things, building and cleaning

If you build, the main thing you spend your time doing is moving resources around. Click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click go to source planet, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space, click refinery, click resource, click pick up tab, click pick up, click go to space, click pilot to destination, click refinery, click drop off, click go to space...

That's what building is, 90% of the work involved is like that.

Then there is pollution...what's the goal of the game again? Big empire, right?
land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet, land, goto refinery, click clean, and again until 0%, leave, next planet...

that's where the tedium is

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:22 am

Fact is, that we all liked the game so much because it DIDN'T have that one bad quality, some people seem to find it "fun" or "necessary" but we old players don't and frankly it's pissing us off. Micromanagement was never a MUST part of this game, especially not in rebangs

It's like Noo metal, metal turned in to pop (<-- sucks most of the time IMO), if you catch my drift... .

Nightmare

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 am

Id just like to note that i skipped a lot of the clicking tedium.

If i were to copy and paste as many times as it takes to build a planet or clean an empire worth cleaning, it would exceed the post size limit.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:32 am

Some people actually like building believe it or not...*gasp* People like tedium! Yes, some people like doing that *cough* MG did mostly that for along time *end cough*...When I started on perma2 back in december all I did was build, we were 36 hops from sol and 27 from freeside, there weren't many planets around to invade, any we could find were usually yay. Even into Frontier Wars I did nothing but build for awhile, it wasn't until well into it that I started to learn to fight/invade. (when the cause broke up, you remember that Mua, darkslide hired me as a builder)

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:02 am

Dolphin wrote:Madace, I don't think the amount of players playing Starport matters if Toonces keeps making more and more servers. Its like hes tring to keep a quota. I want all my servers to hold 10 people... CRAP! The newest one has 30!!! AHHHH! I must make some more permas to balance this.
Actually I have always said, and I was always say: Quality ABOVE Quantity.

I think someone like Kwijibo trakes up 50 noobs. Not because of his skill alone, but because of his skill AND his attitude.

So yes, the game is a bit hugged. And the largest part of the game consists of the community, and the community is the biggest hugged part.

Yes.
But I'm hoping and praying some fun stuff will come... As has been promised.

But I fear it will only be something as dull as missions and stuff...

The future will tell. I'm converting to a bunch of religions and I continue to pray.

Dolphin

Post by Dolphin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:18 am

Yes. I agree quality over quantity. However, this game needs some quanity on EACH server to make them worthwhile IMO. This game needs some more player interaction. But when you have so many servers with the current playerbase it destroys all that except for the newest perma server, until its also replaced.

I also believe the quality of the game has gone down now a lot recently. I play a game to have fun, not to do virtual chores. I want to see some new things that spark the fun back in this game for me. I'm very inactive now and thought I'd give rebangs a try, but even that doesn't seem to add the fun back. Only certain additions can.

And I also worry like you that these "additions" will be something dull like missions. The only thing that really could add more fun to this game for me is stuff like more player interaction. But each time a server is added, that just screws me more and more because I'm not the kinda person who wants to start over on a new server, infact I hate starting over, yet each new server takes players away from the one I'm currently on.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:33 am

Furiae wrote:Some people actually like building believe it or not...*gasp* People like tedium! Yes, some people like doing that *cough* MG did mostly that for along time *end cough*...When I started on perma2 back in december all I did was build, we were 36 hops from sol and 27 from freeside, there weren't many planets around to invade, any we could find were usually yay. Even into Frontier Wars I did nothing but build for awhile, it wasn't until well into it that I started to learn to fight/invade. (when the cause broke up, you remember that Mua, darkslide hired me as a builder)
Some people like it, some dont.

I have enough tedium at my job. I have enough chores at home. I dont do those for entertainment, i play games or go out with friends.

spiroshark

Post by spiroshark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Last edited by spiroshark on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phase
Location: Invading your colony wile you waste time reading the forum.

Post by Phase » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:23 pm

I vote that Toonces hires KUKA as an assistant developer

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Somebody SAVE this game, SOMEBODY please help us!!

Nightmare

guy355

Post by guy355 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:00 pm

well, some people still like the game even though they have to clean hundreds of planets and drag makes invading harder, actually, that stuff kinda makes the game funner! I always play a DF and give away money and such, invade, clean, i say those patches made the game better, now if anybody actually wants an empire they gotta play more, and the drag patch makes it a little easier for noobs to get started.... i say, good work Toonces! :D

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:02 pm

I just love SGE... Enough to set this board as my homepage.
100/5!
Meow!
Awesome game.
There's just too many whiners that spoil it, and these people giving it bad reviews just contribute to it... Most don't even TRY to have fun! People glance at the review rating first, then determine if they should try it or not. If these chumps spoil the rating, then people just skip past the game.

And what is the deal with Toonces and a "Barrel 'O Monkeys?"
It's somewhat entertaining, though...

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:02 pm

/slap.

Ohh can you implent that in-game while you're at it?

Nightmare

TopGunSF

Post by TopGunSF » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:22 pm

Whiners annoy me. Go away whiners, you ruin the game, not Toonces. And yes, /slap would be awesome.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:13 pm

Phase wrote:I vote that Toonces hires KUKA as an assistant developer
I vote Toonces hires me (doesn't even have to pay me) as a content director.

Toonces: "Mate, you can't have ships that are 3 times the size of a system, and you can't have missiles the size of planets."
MadAce: "Then make the systems bigger..."
Toonces: *cries silently*

Phase

Post by Phase » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:52 pm

guy355 wrote:well, some people still like the game even though they have to clean hundreds of planets and drag makes invading harder, actually, that stuff kinda makes the game funner! I always play a DF and give away money and such, invade, clean, i say those patches made the game better, now if anybody actually wants an empire they gotta play more, and the drag patch makes it a little easier for noobs to get started.... i say, good work Toonces! :D

are you making fun of me?....

Emokid_07

Post by Emokid_07 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 am

No he's making fun WITH you!

P.S. http://www.purevolume.com/honestdifferences goto that and click on Reckless it's a new song we just recorded!

Check it out!

Phase

Post by Phase » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:09 am

I think toonces is NOT killing starport, its the peopel whining and making up lies to post in bad reviews about starport just cause their mad

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:05 am

Yes. Definitely

When nightmare gets pissed over something, and dozens of people who previously LOVED the game quit...yes.

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:28 am

Well, I first played it about a month and a half ago, or something like that. I will say that the game has changed drastically since I joined, and not for the better, either.

Spectre

Appology

Post by Spectre » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:53 am

I wanted to appologize for my last post here I honestly barely remember writing it (I was wrecked drunk). Sorry for being offensive, this will be my last post here anyway so it barely matters but for what its worth I'm sorry.

Spectre

Mattaf

Post by Mattaf » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:02 am

guy355 wrote:well, some people still like the game even though they have to clean hundreds of planets and drag makes invading harder, actually, that stuff kinda makes the game funner! I always play a DF and give away money and such, invade, clean, i say those patches made the game better, now if anybody actually wants an empire they gotta play more, and the drag patch makes it a little easier for noobs to get started.... i say, good work Toonces! :D
I assume you're joking, but if not... WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON DUDE?!? These patches hurt noobs the most! Imagine you're a noob who's just earned a load of cash to start a colony, and you don't log on for a day... you loose all that money and have to start again! Noobs are never going to get anywhere like that!!!! :roll:

Crosseyed

Post by Crosseyed » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:55 am

I don't really understand the motives behind this.

In the beginning, Starport was designed as a casual game that anyone regardless of whether they had massive blocks of time to commit could play. That's what Warp Fuel was about: To balance out the people who had way too much time on their hands against those who didn't, for all had the same warp fuel.

In an abrupt reversal of that philosophy, now you're forced to grind to avoid being raped in XP and rep merely because you're conserving fuel for a later session? What happened to when people could pop in for a short while, do a few things, and then log off for fuel?

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:23 am

Indeed this is what I meant when I said that SGE is losing it's value, it's unique feature, that you don't HAVE TO play every single day.

*sigh*

Nightmare

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 pm

I think next we are going to lose/stop making warp fuel for inactivity. So then when we come back to do all that grinding crosseyed mentioned to keep our exp/rep/cash we have to buy tokens to do so. :x

Ooooh, that's a good one, you don't make warp fuel atall when you are offline sleeping or something, but only when you are online and cleaning pollution or buying outrageously priced shields. ie, flying around using fuel, if you are lucky you are in an IG ship so you come close to breaking even and only have to buy a minimal amount of tokens.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:09 pm

Mua'Dib wrote:Yes. Definitely

When nightmare gets pissed over something, and dozens of people who previously LOVED the game quit...yes.
lol...