Interesting side project.

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

5p34k3r

Interesting side project.

Post by 5p34k3r » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Hey everyone. Long time player, rare poster.
I've noticed I rarely get the time I'd like to invest into SGE, what with work and everything else irl.

I noticed on the google play store a gentleman coder names Luigi has ported bochs virtual machine to droid. Now, I am still in the process of installing win xp (98SE worked, but Alas SGE doesn't run on 98) but I'd be happy to share the results if anyone is interested. I have a feeling it won't run very well, or at all, but it would still be cool to play SGE on my phone on slow days ^^

Low chance is still a chance! XD

Wish me luck! Lol in hour three of installing xp. Not that it's slow, just can't keep the emulator from pausing when you use your phone during its up time.

5p34k3r

Re: Interesting side project.

Post by 5p34k3r » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Forgot to mention, the app name in the store is ibochs pc emulator

5p34k3r

Post by 5p34k3r » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Droid seems to crash when win xp is finished booting (still some setting to mess with)
Think xp is having issues utilizing my devices cpu properly. Can see the ram I gave it is being distributed properly, no high spikes in task manager, but the CPU tends to run 80-100% before the app crashes :/

Anyone know if SGE worked on 2k, or ME?
Perhaps I should downgrade. I learnt 98 isn't new enough, but I'd like to save the time of downloading, and having to use msdos to format and install a new os little clumsy on the controls, as the keyboard has all the f buttons and other special keys added.

I'll post a link to a screenshot during my lunch break, so anyone interested can see it "in action"

Ustimas

Post by Ustimas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:48 am

I wish you luck with your endeavors. There have been several attempts to install SGE via VirtualBox, and even that hasn't been fruitful. I personally have attempted to run it using a virtualized Windows XP environment to no avail.

If you were able to get it to play on an android device, that would be very impressive.

5p34k3r

Post by 5p34k3r » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Sort of at a stand still atm. Fixed the crash issue, had to decrease the amount of ram I allocated to the VM.

Current issue is, Explorer.exe just doesn't seem to ever open. Tried task manager /new task / Explorer.exe can see it try, but just won't do it. I'll attempt to alter the speed settings, perhaps the IPS is to low for it to function securely. I'm able together the screen saver to pop up lol I'm usually testing at work, so it sits there loading for long periods...sometimes I forget to move the mouse to prevent screen saver. Also, right click doesn't seem to bring up any menu, so I'm starting to think it's just not getting a chance to fully boot up. Going to alter the IPS from 10-300 to realtime. Had some issues with the mouse like that, but there's got to be a compromise somewhere xD

5p34k3r

Post by 5p34k3r » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Update
In the process of trying a different emulator. Bochs.
Little finicky to set up. Omw to work so I'll tamper with it throughout the day if it gets slow. Got weekend off, hoping I can get to the bottom of this before Monday.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:30 pm

FYI, you would have better chances with a windows 7 emulator than an xp emulator.

Ustimas

Post by Ustimas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:37 am

Toonces wrote:FYI, you would have better chances with a windows 7 emulator than an xp emulator.
I wish even that worked. Recently though, I've unearthed an ancient laptop, hailing from around circa 2005. When I booted it up, I found myself staring at a desktop that contained relics of my youth: Warcraft, Winamp, and of course - Starport (with the ORIGINAL icon).

One of these days I'm going to find a VGA cable and set this thing up to a monitor, pour myself some Pepsi, and play me some SGE.