Protect the Newbies!

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

GRAWRG.

Protect the Newbies!

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:08 am

So I've noticed one factor that makes gameplay exponentially more difficult for newbies.

SPACE DEFENSES.

New players don't know where they will be, how to avoid them (most use autopilot so they'll be taken through the same systems over and over again), or HOW TO DESTROY THEM.

I propose a lifespan on space defenses. Maybe 48-72 hours? OR that NPCs do proper damage to them again.

I'm tired of seeing newbies die 6+ times a day. And there are two new players that I have seen die that many times in the last two days. If we want this game to survive, we need to protect the newbies.

GRAWRG.

Re: Protect the Newbies!

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 pm

You fuckers. you know this is a good idea. NOW SUPPORT IT. there are too many god damn lasers on servers for newbies to even hugging trade or ferry or ANYTHING anymore.

Fr0nTLiNe

Post by Fr0nTLiNe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Never did i think Grawrg would be the last old player standing...i do like the fact your trying to make the game work..but your still bat sh it crazy :P . the real problem isnt the game.its the fact all our freinds enemys and rivals no longer are here..its the players who made this game great...this place used to be like the WWE with all the dramas and wars...it was a escape for us all..The game keeped changing to the point where you had 2 be on 24/7 to keep your corp alive...then invading got harder and harder..and when we got used to it and changed tatics...it changed again...it became all about trying to make you buy tokens.

Look i know me and you never got along ingame and we used to fight about dumb stuff all the time.. But For me Freind or Foe-Like me or not everyone on Starport was a big family and part of the ever changing Storyline
Blackhand,Broken Monkey,6 66,Epic col Killing Troll,and of course the first enemy i ever backed down to who later on became a good freind Jennifer.

/S We are the storyline but grawrg THE MIDDLE happened long ago
Also can i just say mass respect to Toonces
I was and have been running my mouth about every change he ever made to this game and not once was i punished for calling it how i saw it so thanks.

So to sum up look after your new players like grawrg said because all the old ones are GONE

Fr0nTLiNe

Post by Fr0nTLiNe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Besides i was thinking
how great it would be to get all the old players still floating around together for a come back tour
Let what happened in the past stay there between us all... corp up and own some stuff..i think you should start a topic up on this Grawrg...your more liked around starport than me.
What do you say?

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 am

i came back months ago front... and so are the others... some others have real life issues so they had to leave again... stormy is one of them... but for toonces? he can eat bbq and die... jaja!!!

Fr0nTLiNe

Post by Fr0nTLiNe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 pm

stormy my g bro where did he go?
anyone else of these "Others" worth metioning

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:28 am

stormy has this work issue he had to attend to. His soldier duty under me was too short, damn it! Bad donkey fighter i wished could have played more

-Fez-

Post by -Fez- » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:35 am

Not all the old players are gone. But the best stories are definitely at an end, So it's time to make new ones and not dwell in the past & I have to agree look after the new players they need help with the game and to learn the game, If they cant do anything because of lasers in space and constant deaths and podding then they will just not play the game.

Anyway peace all.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 am

Not a Newbie ... But I remember how annoying lazer walls were if you just wanted to do your own thing and not get involved in any server drama or conflict. I also remember how awesome they are when you do...and to help defend your built up systems from attack or add to the strategy during wartime. How bad have they gotten?

Anyone have any suggestions for an old timer thinking of coming back for a visit? Fallen Empire still active? Anyone remember Merlin and Space Templar Alliance?

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 am

Merlin wrote:Not a Newbie ... But I remember how annoying lazer walls were if you just wanted to do your own thing and not get involved in any server drama or conflict. I also remember how awesome they are when you do...and to help defend your built up systems from attack or add to the strategy during wartime. How bad have they gotten?

Anyone have any suggestions for an old timer thinking of coming back for a visit? Fallen Empire still active? Anyone remember Merlin and Space Templar Alliance?
Hey hey merlin! my old commander from P2 Space Templar Alliance era! If you want to visit, come to hydra or GA, ush or anito is my name in those 2 permas...

RedPhoenix

Post by RedPhoenix » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56 am

I think its admirable that a seasoned player would be looking out for the little guy in a game where squashing the little guy seems to be the status quo. Of course, the whole subject is predictably dodged and becomes a thread to reminisce between experienced players of yesteryore. As something of a noob myself, I love this game enough to put up with the tyranny from on high, but it cant be good for recruiting new blood. If we're not careful, Toonces might enforce more gentle standards just to keep his cash cow afloat. Its really obvious when a newbie floats into the galaxy. Arent the galactis spirals big enough for a community to stretch out? Why squash new players before they figure the game out? Why assume that everybody playing the game has an encyclopedic knowledge of all its ins and outs? Who are the admins? Where are the helpers? I get that its survival of the fittest, and frankly thats part of the games allure, but being 'nice' while playing any game is considered sportmanlike in any culture. I'm sure this will encourage no one and probably earn me hackles of derision, but cheers to GRAWRG for even bringing the subject up!

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:11 pm

To recruit young bloods still perplex me in what you ppl's opinion...

I started this game and it led me to both either forming ties or challenging anyone in the game be it a fellow newbie or a seasoned player... As i played, i got recruited into the respected Organized Crime group and I was also forming rivalry with the likes of awmalzo the diva, bardock the 4-inch pencil, whitenova the wannabe, thorin and so many gungho seasoned players. I was a new player but got interested because i was having rivalries with this so called divas of the game. So i stayed and played the game and learned what needed to be learned.

So it goes anito went head to head and had happiness and the evil smile seeing as my foes goes berserk and gaga over my presence.... muahahahaha! muahahahaha!

my point is, a newbie that dies so many times over mundane situations then quits is not fit for this game.

omlow

Post by omlow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:00 am

anito newbies only die over mundane situations because the learning curve of the game is too steep for them, not because they don't have the potential to go on and become good players.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:32 am

^^^
Anito learn how to use punctuation and not use run on sentences and see things as they are and know what you are talking about.

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 am

omlow wrote:anito newbies only die over mundane situations because the learning curve of the game is too steep for them, not because they don't have the potential to go on and become good players.
Hmmm, omlow, think of the army that requires you to be physically fit and of sound thinking before they enlist you in, get it? Going back to the mindset of a starting new player for this game, I think its really not how dangerous space is. Its how you connect with people to reach your goal. I connected with the players who knows the game and i learned from them.