Something awesome for 10 years of Starport?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

i2k

Something awesome for 10 years of Starport?

Post by i2k » Mon May 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Something awesome should go down for the 10 year anniversary which Altair pointed out is this year....

Drifter101

Re: Something awesome for 10 years of Starport?

Post by Drifter101 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm

everyone gets 10k free tokens?

and we all have a big wacky race around some maze planet

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

All Players shall receive 6.31475632 Admiral Tokens, some pocket lint and a slightly used Laser Disc of the movie The Goonies.

Thank You All For You Many Years Of Support.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am

Toonces is gonna launch a Kickstarter campaign for Starport 2. Although it'll be moderately steep (about $ 100K to $ 150K) and will probably fail. Unless he professionalizes and gets more people involved, which would jack up the price even more.

However, I remain convinced of the commercial potential of Starport. Especially since we're experiencing a free-to-play renaissance and it would seem no one has gone for the SGE concept.

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Tue May 20, 2014 3:30 am

MadAce wrote:Toonces is gonna launch a Kickstarter campaign for Starport 2. Although it'll be moderately steep (about $ 100K to $ 150K) and will probably fail. Unless he professionalizes and gets more people involved, which would jack up the price even more.

However, I remain convinced of the commercial potential of Starport. Especially since we're experiencing a free-to-play renaissance and it would seem no one has gone for the SGE concept.
blah blah blah.... blah blah... blah blah blah! more blah blah here... more blah blah blah there.... walk your talk

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue May 20, 2014 3:38 pm

MadAce wrote:Toonces is gonna launch a Kickstarter campaign for Starport 2. Although it'll be moderately steep (about $ 100K to $ 150K) and will probably fail. Unless he professionalizes and gets more people involved, which would jack up the price even more.

Normally I would be more cynical about this, but I do think you're right here. If toonces were to massively rebalance the game, he would have to gear it to have a much more shallow learning curve though. My roommate watched me play before my semester ended and was trying to get into it because he thought it looked cool. I don't know if he will, because of the difficulty of the mechanics though. He tries invading and bounces left and right and whatnot as I try and teach him, and while he can make easy caps, the grind of clearing lasers and reshielding constantly and dealing with powerful unforgiving solar cannons is just too much for him I fear, to be decent in any competitive sense. I think we've created a difficulty bubble of sorts... where the difficulty/time cost of invading has become disproportionately large compared to fighting and growth and building, and that has to be fixed.

I would argue that this bubble was created with the first multishot solars and the addition of pollution.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue May 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Oh, objectively speaking the game is a complete mess. SG2 should focus on the core concepts of a hardcore competitive PvP mmo with very strong RTS element and empire building.
This framework in itself is a niche and provides more than enough room to create something with a relatively low barrier of entry. But the game could never be for pussies.

Maybe I should see if I can hook up my old HDD with the Game Design Document I made.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue May 20, 2014 6:07 pm

I've heard rumors toonces is adding in a make-your-own-npc-slaves feature. Maybe that will lead to more rts elements.

And I'd love to see the design.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:I've heard rumors toonces is adding in a make-your-own-npc-slaves feature. Maybe that will lead to more rts elements.

And I'd love to see the design.
The basic idea is build ships at the weapons factory, and if you want you can launch them as drones. Fighter class ships would defend planets and systems while freighter class ships would transport resources between planets.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Toonces wrote: The basic idea is build ships at the weapons factory, and if you want you can launch them as drones. Fighter class ships would defend planets and systems while freighter class ships would transport resources between planets.
Neato. All ships or only certain types? Can one reship at these planets?

Oh, and since you're checking this thread, have you seen my idea? I'm just wondering what you think about it.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21741

greg

Post by greg » Tue May 27, 2014 1:34 am

How's about dismantling all the updates for the past 10 years for one server, call it the vintage server. Give the new players an idea of where it started. Hi all, anyone remember me? Death.adder?

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Tue May 27, 2014 9:27 am

greg wrote:How's about dismantling all the updates for the past 10 years for one server, call it the vintage server. Give the new players an idea of where it started. Hi all, anyone remember me? Death.adder?
I remember you. You nuked me once you jerk. Never forget.

Kickstarter for Starport 2 is a good idea but I think it'd crash and burn without already having SPGE2 in development before you even crowd funded it.

Major issues with starport are the learning curve and the time cost to progress. I don't have the many hours I'd need to be competitive in this game that I used to.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue May 27, 2014 4:10 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:Neato. All ships or only certain types? Can one reship at these planets?

Oh, and since you're checking this thread, have you seen my idea? I'm just wondering what you think about it.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21741
Yeah you can re-ship there too. It's only the hulls that swap out though, so you keep modules and stuff. Obviously this is more impactful in stock-mod games. And you can build most ship types, maybe not the top tier ones like ISC, IG, maybe Seth and a couple others.

Demonz

Post by Demonz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Toonces wrote:Yeah you can re-ship there too. It's only the hulls that swap out though, so you keep modules and stuff. Obviously this is more impactful in stock-mod games. And you can build most ship types, maybe not the top tier ones like ISC, IG, maybe Seth and a couple others.
And next your planets will be able to make warp fuel.

Zangetsu

Post by Zangetsu » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 pm

IGS and ISC shouldnt be built but seths should since PB is either 1 PB per server or is way out of way of everyones areas lol having a seth handy would help alot

i2k

Post by i2k » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:23 am

well I would be down to assist with any marketing aspects for a SGE Kickstarter campaign. It does have great potential.

EDIT : Though before that a marketing campaign for SGE as it is would be good.

DOUBLE EDIT : 100-150k? How/Why? (PM if you don't want it out there)

PowerRanger

Post by PowerRanger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 pm

MadAce wrote:Oh, objectively speaking the game is a complete mess. SG2 should focus on the core concepts of a hardcore competitive PvP mmo with very strong RTS element and empire building.
This framework in itself is a niche and provides more than enough room to create something with a relatively low barrier of entry. But the game could never be for pussies.

Maybe I should see if I can hook up my old HDD with the Game Design Document I made.
Sounds like EVE. ;O

It would be epic if the game was like...where you go to invade, you can literally land with troops and play a RTS or even a FPS (like Halo) where you would have some nooby NPCs helping you shoot and fight enemy defenses. It would just be a totally different feel with a new concept...that of course would take massive amounts of work...but then again... new and creative is the way to make money. Perhaps this is also where you would be able to customize character attributes more to help you invade or what not. SGE 2 would be awesome if that was added.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51 am

greg wrote:How's about dismantling all the updates for the past 10 years for one server, call it the vintage server. Give the new players an idea of where it started. Hi all, anyone remember me? Death.adder?
the way all the servers run off the same code and the back ups only house the last stable version it would be impossible to get a roll back like that without completely destroying everything every where.... which i would be fine with lol.

i2k

Post by i2k » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 pm

I remember you :X