Hey Old Vets! Come Play Hydra!

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

-Muffin-

Hey Old Vets! Come Play Hydra!

Post by -Muffin- » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Hydra Galaxy Settings:

No mods. (Extra cargo hold limits on Merchant Cruiser, Galaxy Whale, and Dreamsower)
5 players per corp.
5 IGPs
14 Black Holes
0.5 Fuel Regen
No Fog of War

So I figured I should post this in case any old vets who check out the forums every once in a while can see that there were some new additions to starport :D

A new server called Hydra was created and offers a fun new strategic design. Here's a picture of it before the suns were randomized by hand (annoying lol)

Some features include:

A warp hole in each limb of the Hydra (10 total) that send you to one another in a clockwise rotation, like a train. This allows easy transport all over the galaxy, which will make server wars very interesting.

2 "Black Hole Islands" that are only accessible by Black Holes. They are also very long arms, so they will be very difficult to invade. Kinda a social experiment. Hopefully it ends up making an interesting battlefield.

The northern half of the galaxy has more ports in it, and the southern half has less. So you can build in whatever environment you so choose.

The 5 IGPs have custom layouts that are very hard to capture, making the IGPs actually desirable.

No asteroids, and few warp paths that shoot across the middle of the system, so auto-piloting actually works in Hydra.

Smallish corp size, so no one corp can dominate the galaxy.

A port in every UN system, and in every system that borders the UN, a port right next to the UN warp to prevent lasering. This helps new players with trading.

A cute little Blitz system right next to Sol (Epsilon Arae).

A system named by Toonces: Jean-Luc Dick Hard.

Thanks. I hope you try it out. It's very active atm (as active as it gets these days). <3

Love,
Muffin

Galaxy Creation Credits go to Altair, Beowulf, and I.

Mattaf

Re: Hey Old Vets! Come Play Hydra!

Post by Mattaf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:41 pm

*A man in a black trench coat enters a darkened starport, long ago abandoned and left to rot in a forgotten star system. His footsteps echoing around the structure, he enters a familiar looking room, switches on the lights and looks around the remains of an old radio studio.*

I've been away too long... *Coughs violently* Wow, dusty...

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Mattaf wrote:*A man in a black trench coat enters a darkened starport, long ago abandoned and left to rot in a forgotten star system. His footsteps echoing around the structure, he enters a familiar looking room, switches on the lights and looks around the remains of an old radio studio.*

Matty!!!!! :shock:

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm

:shock:

Gloin

Post by Gloin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Mattaf

Post by Mattaf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Yup, I'm back! Now that Starport seems to want to work on my computer again... and with a brand new server to play on the timing it seems couldn't be better!

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Moleman wrote::shock:

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Moleman wrote::shock:

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 am

One of Crimson's pitches to me about as to why i should play this funny 2d space simulation game was "it comes with its own radio station!"

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

The problem with Hydra is the people who designed the map knew exactly where the UN cols are, invaded them and have a huge advantage versus the players that have to build cols from scratch.

Interesting map but the admins have a pretty significant head start which is not fair to everyone else.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:17 am

The UN Colonies had 1k pop and a refinery, and 7 flaks surrounding the dome lol

Except for the Blitz colonies right next to Sol which Swedish capped because we didn't want to be unfair. Alt wasn't in the corp at the time either. We also didn't dome any igps. We made sure to be fair :3

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 am

Funny how the custodians of Hydra had no problem using the rob port bug where players could get 100 million credits in a few hours. Maybe this seems like no big deal but Toonces relies on Token sales and when a new server bangs players always buy/bring Tokens over to the server to sell so the server can get built up. When players are accumulating huge amounts of startup cash in the first hours of a new server then there is no reason to bring Tokens into play and this ultimately hurts everybody that enjoys this game.

I would think that in the interest of fair gameplay server admins would report bugs like that, not exploit them.

Funny how its never a problem to anyone until they get caught or they are at the receiving end. It amazes me how selfish some players are with no consideration for the overall well being of the game and fellow players.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:36 pm

lol i made 5mil off of that xD
tbh it didn't help that much, and i was ultimately curious how it worked. And I thought it was something that had been around for years and that people were just used to it being part of the game. Didn't know it was a bug. My apologies. I'm not a perma player.

stgballa

Post by stgballa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Avi, we're about due for a comeback

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

-Muffin- wrote:lol i made 5mil off of that xD
tbh it didn't help that much, and i was ultimately curious how it worked. And I thought it was something that had been around for years and that people were just used to it being part of the game. Didn't know it was a bug. My apologies. I'm not a perma player.
What I had said is really more of a blanket statement, nothing specifically directed at you Muffin. I don't mean to come across as a nazi with this matter it's just that I have always been concerned for the well being of Starport so many can continue to enjoy it for years to come as much as I have. I've been playing 7 years so far myself and as I am not as active as I would like to be still I really do enjoy the game after all the time playing it.

The robbing port glitch has been around at least a year and I'm sure it was in play for rebangs as well meaning a lot of players got easy wins due to the unlimited credits from the ports. I can only imagine how much revenue Toonces lost in Admiral Token sales as a result of the bug

I know Toonces has been trying very hard to make changes to the game so everyone can enjoy it more and not have to deal with the monotonous tasks associated with building. If Toonces loses money in Token sales then everyone suffers especially Toonces. Bandwidth needs to paid for as well as IT expenses etc.

I strongly feel that if a player knows about anything wrong with the game they should let Toonces know, not use the same bugs/exploits themselves. Toonces has placed some players in a management role and if those people use exploits themselves then it really shows a lack of integrity.

Again please don't take it personally, I was just pointing out some behavior of others that disappoints me because of players being held to a higher standard.

So that's it for this tirade of mine, everyone have fun on the new server and it looks like it will be a huge success.

CaptKangaroo

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:35 pm

I totally understand. I'm constantly reporting bugs on blitz because the game should be fair for everyone, not just those who know the glitches. Because ofc, Blitz needs to be taken care of since it relies so much upon player-induced activity. And I care deeply for blitz.

Up until recently, I didn't give a hug about permas and how fair they were. But now I enjoy perma-ing and I completely agree. Toonces fixed it btw. I forget if you mentioned that earlier or not. Too lazy to check :3

_Fez_

Post by _Fez_ » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 pm

My last Forum log in was August 7th 2011 :o
This map & settings looks real cool. I havn't played in a few years now but I getting internet back & computer as I broke my lappy so i'm sure you may see me on the server next week.

See you about all & Fly safe. :-)

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 am

GUESS WHO'S BACK!

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 07, 2014 12:40 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:GUESS WHO'S BACK!

Who?

The suspense is killing me..................

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:GUESS WHO'S BACK!

Who?

The suspense is killing me..................
muh dick

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Sat May 10, 2014 6:47 am

MadAce wrote:
Mattaf wrote:*A man in a black trench coat enters a darkened starport, long ago abandoned and left to rot in a forgotten star system. His footsteps echoing around the structure, he enters a familiar looking room, switches on the lights and looks around the remains of an old radio studio.*

Matty!!!!! :shock:

~was this the guy i should be bashing in my BBQs or some other soreloser guy? help me out... hmmm madace.. i remember he was thinking too much of me back in the day... kind of nightmare for him....

or

i seem to remember this other "BARDIK" fella.....

i2k

Post by i2k » Sun May 11, 2014 4:50 am

word up im playing it :P (and a certain other old school SGE player who can option to tell you who he is or not himself :P)

PowerRanger

Post by PowerRanger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

I love how Muffin made this post, but quit the server XD

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Now that I've totally recovered from my accident more than six months ago, I might just check this out. I've been disgusted and after being gone so long I didn't want to log in to find everything I used to have gone from the time I missed. I might just have to drop back in and learn to play again. I have some mobility issues still lingering from my accident, but I think I might be able to handle it. I've wanted to log in for a couple of months, but didn't want to see the 800 planets I left dwindle to maybe 20 by now. Thorin and I had quite the empire when he left it all to me and quit. I let it die after I got hurt. I just couldn't play, it hurt so much.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 am

What happened to you Luna, don't remember hearing anything about a accident.

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:09 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:What happened to you Luna, don't remember hearing anything about a accident.
wegotBBQstar!

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:54 am

No.

VanadiumDragon

Post by VanadiumDragon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:12 am

-notorious- wrote:No.
what he said

greg

Post by greg » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:10 am

Not a bad server, save for some nasty attitudes. VD you should jump on, for old times sake!

anito_ush

Post by anito_ush » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 am

ye VD, come and play again. i came to play again... youll have this time the oppurtunity to see the likes of me, notorius, trillz, stormy battling each other... youll never have the chance to have this oppurtunity again...

besides, our enemies are weak... come play babe

PS: show me personally what made you somebody here coz i think ur just a BBQ here... rawr