Lasers in space

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

LordSturm

Lasers in space

Post by LordSturm » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

something really needs to be done about this, it destroys the flow the galaxy should have, obliterates any chance new players have of ever exploring the galaxy, makes the goto system useless, and hampers players ability to move around the galaxy unless they happen to have huge missile reserves literally everywhere and has days to spend taking the lasers down. which can be placed back up in about 1 minute.

all thats being done is solidifying the stale state of your servers as now ports cannot regenerate anything unless visited by a U.N ship and since the two servers i would consider playing have lasers in almost every system all the U.N. ships get killed and the ports recieve no shields.

Caia

Re: Lasers in space

Post by Caia » Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 am

While perhaps something should be done, its not quite as bad as you say. Nearly anyone can buy a Vulture and spend some time clearing the way. That said, this has been an ongoing issue for newbies for quite some time. It still might be a better idea to have lazers degrade or make NPCs target them even more than they currently do.

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

admittedly mechanics could of changed from the last time i stopped playing as it has been awhile. but the main reason i stopped playing golden age is that almost every system was lasered, and ports would never regenerate shields because U.N ships would be blown up before they could get anywhere.

vultures need to be changed back to their original missles or be given "super surface missiles" that have a longer range and are more powerful because surface missiles have been so far nerfed nobody uses them anymore.

if npcs would capably fight lasers again i think this would solve some of the problems. their AI currently makes them completely unable to fight them. while it seems they take reduced damage to lasers they basically just sit around getting shot and what apears to be having no energy to fire weapons. they also dont focus on one laser they just haphazardly fire at whatever laser they are closest to so the end result is they kill nothing and get blown up.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm

The main problem right now in permaverses/rebangs is that the laser fire rate is much too high. Toonces INCREASED the fire rate of space turrets for the Blitzkreig server but in turn it made them too powerful for other servers.

But he also decreased the amount of turrets you can place in space, another change he made is that space cannons can now blow up NPC's, therefore space cannons don't just "go away" with time of npc's hacking away at them.

Another change is when you first place a cannon in space, another player or NPC can come along and 1 shot it with 0.2 seconds of a grav or 1 photon/fusion. (which is pretty annoying as far as wars go)

so, there's a few things he could do to address this. Perhaps NPC's should weild more Negotiators/nukes so they stand a chance in space battle? Maybe NPC's should have more resilience against space cannons? I'm not sure.

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am

BarbaraWalters wrote:The main problem right now in permaverses/rebangs is that the laser fire rate is much too high. Toonces INCREASED the fire rate of space turrets for the Blitzkreig server but in turn it made them too powerful for other servers.

But he also decreased the amount of turrets you can place in space, another change he made is that space cannons can now blow up NPC's, therefore space cannons don't just "go away" with time of npc's hacking away at them.
Mmmk. I'm apparently too far out of date to be of much help.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun May 19, 2013 2:48 am

The npc's need to be patched to kill the lasers again, it has gotten stupid with the lasers everywhere. Defeats the purpose of invading if the shields and negs are not regenerated in the ports.

This just brings the game down further as nobody wants to play with annoyances in space.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue May 21, 2013 6:57 pm

If people feel it's important to address this, there are a few different ways we could go:

1. Limit maximum number of deployed lasers in a star system down from 60 (current setting) to 30 or 40
2. Reduce re-fire speed of lasers in space
3. Make lasers more expensive at ports and longer to build on colonies

What do you think is the best way, or combination of any of the above ways?

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 pm

noooo dont reduce the ammount of lasers ..again..

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I vote #2

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 pm

I vote 2

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 am

I vote #2 as well, and please patch the NPC to kill the lasers again. Ports never get regenerated with Negs + Shields cause the barges cant get in.

And it is very unfair to new players, I wouldn't want to bother learning this game if all I did was get killed exploring.

BTW thanks for the 10% exp loss patch for PvP, makes fighting fun again....Good Job Toonce.

One other thing, if one person lands on a col and more follow the solar/lasers are pounding you at the warp if you do not all land together....Same with ports. Can this be fixed as well?

DaKango

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 am

Sweet! I'm going to return this summer :)

NightstarRage

Post by NightstarRage » Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Hello Toonces.
NPC's are already so weak against space lasers.. perhaps we could have super low damage being dealt to them from space defenses, or like old times.. no damage?
Because lasers rape NPC's now.. lasers are everywhere. And when they prevent UN ships from getting in ports.. shield prices stay low always. low shield prices and lasers everywhere means a less fun game.. and it also means newer players will have a harder time getting starting.

PeNguiN-

Post by PeNguiN- » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Lasers seem less OP now and pretty easy to fly around while still blocking off ports.. somewhat

A negative side effect seems to be solars being able to go down to 30 shot making them terrible with no military and requiring more to get to like 90 shots, 100 shot still 100% military.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

yes, the lasers are perfect now imo but solar should be able to go back up to 120 bpm again to compensate on cols

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Was something done to the lasers recently that I am not aware of?

Fill a noob like me in on the secret :)

Ahh I see it in the news, imma dumbass :)

Ya 10/120 was fine the way it was, solars kinda lame atm. Cols used to puke out solar bursts back when they were fast.

HUSKER

Post by HUSKER » Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:

One other thing, if one person lands on a col and more follow the solar/lasers are pounding you at the warp if you do not all land together....Same with ports. Can this be fixed as well?

DaKango
This isn't broken. weapon fire used to be on your computer. Now its server side. Therefor it appears on your screen even if it's firing at someone else. makes more sense doesn't it? say someone is having a firefight in a house somewhere but when you walk in any bullets that were in the air don't exist for you. Then only once you are inside do bullets start appearing to you. It makes a whole lot more sense this way. I like it. It also makes drop nuking a little bit harder and needing more coordination if doing in groups. nbd