Screen Resolution

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Screen Resolution

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

Ok So I have this problem, my native resolution is normally 1920 x 1080. It is locked out at 1024 x 768, it cannot be reset to the correct resolution. Because of this the desktop icons are too large ad webpages are difficult to view due to the screen size and having to scroll left to right and up and down I have tried re-stalling the video driver, rolling it back to a older version. Reloaded the monitor drivers as well. I updated the video driver about a week ago but the problem started long after the driver was updated. I shut down the computer and turned back on a few days later only to have this problem pop up.

The monitor is being detected as a generic PnP, it used to show the correct brand and native resolution. I even checked the cable in case it had come out slightly. Everything I have thought will not work and I am at a loss on how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance for any help.

WeGotDeathStar

Re: Screen Resolution

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

I forgot to add could this be a monitor issue being it not being recognized as a Acer 23' monitor
and it only being shown as a generic PnP? I have not tried connecting the monitor to the built in video card on the motherboad.

Computer specs as follows: ASUS M3N-VM 78 motherboard
8 Gigabytes of DDR2 Memory
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 ghz Cpu
550 watt Ultra Power supply
23" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 64bit Operating 7

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:21 am

Do you have a discrete gpu (Graphics card)if so which one?
Or are you using onboard graphics?

From there i will give u some steps to try.

MJS - builder of the finest gaming rigs

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:22 pm

I have a nvidia chipset on the card, it is a nvidia 9800 GT 1gb memory. It's basically the same cars as a 8800 but a little tweaked.

The problem started for no reason that I can tell, turned the computer off for the night then turned back on then the resolution was messed up. the one thing that i noticed is it only recognizes a generic PnP display, it used to say Acer A231H which is what i have so i suspect to monitor may be to blame. I will reset it to factory defaults ans see if that helps. I still have to connect it to the built in video on the motherboard to see if it makes a difference. The video chipset on the motherboard is nvidia as well.

I'll try it later then post the results, thanks for the reply MJS......much appreciated.

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I am not sure what u mean by I will attach it to the built in video on the mobo, the vga or dvi connector on your rear connection panel connects to the
on board gpu.

Anyhow this is what I would do, (forgive me if you have done these steps) - go to nvidia site and download the latest drivers (they may have a prog like amd's catalyst utility which will notify you automatically of updates). I would download these and re-start pc and if it didnt sort it out Id go and check in device manager and check "display adapter" not "monitors" to see whether your 9800 is available and enabled.

Other steps would be to go to the manufacturers sites for the chipset and your monitor and download the latest software.

I found someone posted with more or less the exact prob as you: "Has anybody had problems with 64-bit Win7 where it only recognizes your monitor as a generic NON p-n-p device?
On my (very) old XP machine I had a nice Viewsonic VP930B-3 happily calibrated and working well at a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024. As soon as I plugged it into the new box Win7 downshifted it to 1024x768. It classifies it as a generic NON plug-n-play monitor and only allows the 1024x768 res as the maximum. I cannot find any settings in the Nvidia Video card, Control panel or anywhere else that will allow me to change these settings "up." There are a number of lower resolutions available, but nothing higher.
"

This guy did similar to what I advised to resolve his issue, I would also consider windows update as he upgraded his OS.

Note: my monitor is described as generic pnp monitor in device manager, but thats cos Ive never bothered with the drivers...my display adaptors both my card and onboard are listed in "display adapter" and I have the full range of resolutions available.

So lets check your display adapter is recognised and listed.

And finally this forum is pretty poor for getting any tech advice, I recommend these forums (you can either post or always find someone with the same problem):

tomshardware.co.uk
bit-tech.net
rog.asus.com (republic of gamers forums) - Im mjssge there

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks for the advice Joel.It's strange that this happened by just restarting the computer. I've been building computers for years and have never encountered it before.

Only issue I ever had was when I got a 19" widescreen monitor but the video card did not have DVI/HDMI outputs so I had to used the D-Sub which would not allow me to get full resolution.

My monitor was always recognized as a 23" Acer A231H on the change resolution section. I am thinking that maybe Battlefield 3 is causing a conflict. EA/DICE use Origin as a launcher and maybe it updated and messed up the operating system.

I will install monitor on another desktop I have and see what it does. BTW I always update my nvidia driver manually cause automatic sucks when you are in the middle of a round of BF3 or Starport. Even did a system restore with no luck.

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Ah cool another PC builder ;-)

Let me know how you get on, good idea with the monitor on another pc...process of elimination.

Best to start with the simple b4 getting elbow deep.

My next purchase a test bench for components after my i5, 7970 overclocked rig had faulty psu, then Im gonna give
a Vic20 a 21st century overhaul (got letter in custompc mag published about the project).

Good luck with it.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Still pissing me off, I had Win7 Ultimate 64 installed when this crap started out of nowhere, suspected a keylogger intrusion so a nice DoD 5 pass LLF was done. Clean Installed Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit, same crap, stuck at 1024x768. Another LLF was done and now we have Win7 Pro 64 bit, same crap 1024x768..... :evil: :evil: :evil: . Removed video card, connected to built-in video card, nvidia 8800. Same crap, stuck at 1024x768.

I did set it custom to the native resolution of 1920x1080 on all operating systems but it's a band-aid at best. Really starting to think this monitor is junk, it used to come up as a Acer A231H in device manager now comes up as Generic PnP Display.

Bios, no changes. DVI-D cables, changed. Even used my old HDMI to DVI adaptor cable I had to use years ago. Factory reset on LCD monitor, guess it forgot how to communicate with Windows, 3 different OS's later looks like the mobo or display took a BBQ.

Regedited a few things, uninstalled/locked out factory drivers...all new nvidia drivers. I'm stumped, someone pls help :)

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

BTW joel, separate subject. I need to update this ole motherboard, still a AM2, ddr-2 dinosaur. I have a AM3+ Phenom II 965 3.4ghz Quad Core cpu thats not being used anywhere up to its full power. What do you recommend as a budget mobo? I don't do heavy gaming and I plan on keeping my old nvidia 9800GT card, 1gb gddr-5 ram built in. I play BF3 and I thought it was a laggy mess but realized I get a solid 50-75 frames so I guess it can be saved for at least another couple of months till the newer gtx560-570-580 cards come down in price.

I should be able to break even selling off the old stuff, DDR-2 still goes for a lot resale more then DDR-3 so it won't cost me much, I have been out of the loop a bit so I need guidance. I would prefer a ASUS or GIGABYTE mobo, had good luck with them and I prefer a nVidia built in video chipset. One more stupid question, I have ASUS M3nVM-78 MOBO atm with a nVidia 8800 built in, I know nothing about how SLI works SLI but can you link a external PCI-E NVidia 9800GT to the built in nVidia 8800 on this MOBO I have? I would also like to do it on a new AM3+ mobo with the nVidia video chipset if possible.

Thanks

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm

No problems, Ill send u a pm with my email addy and if you cut and paste this in to a email Ill start putting some advice, figures together for u.

Joel

p.s. did you manage to get the monitor working on another pc to isolate whether is the gpu (on board gpu) or the monitor itself, Id also grab a discrete gpu (spare or friend?) and disable the on-board gpu...this would indicate whether on-board gpu was shagged.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 am

Problem solved, my ACER A231H monitor is defective, not communicating with the video card. I didn't have a widescreen DVI-HDMI monitor at the house, just old LCD D-Sub oldies floating around. I went to my parents and hooked up to my old 17" Hanspree.

Sure as sh1t I get 1440x9o0 native resolution and windows sees the monitor as a Hanspree. Now it's time to warranty this monitor, year old and it is horrible compared to my old 17" Hannspree.....what a picture on that one. Anyone considering buying a Acer you get what u pay for, blurry picture and resolution problems for no reason. I highly recommend a Hannspree/Hans-G if anyone is getting a new one.

Thanks for all the tips joel, I should have gone to my parent a month ago instead of reloading windows 3 times.....lol getting old and forgetful sucks ;)

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 pm

A pleasure my friend. :D