A new Server

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Slider

A new Server

Post by Slider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 am

Heya all After playing this game for 8 years (Perm2) i miss the huge map with multi clusters it made the game have more then just 1 corp holding the galexy ... 2 months ago i came back and i couldnt find p2 so i go on p1 and try to start well withthe allinces being so big on almost every sever i practically quit all permas and have been playing blitz. Hope you can make a new sever like my home :) Thank you for your time and i hope you get the time to read this.

Slider

Re: A new Sever

Post by Slider » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 am

Alll i want Is a HUGE sever With many huge clusters P2 i think the max hops from one side of the galexy to the other was aroun 150-200 This way no one corp could rule the sever.

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm

with fogs, ratmaze and dtail layout

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm

with fogs, ratmaze and dtail layout

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

Sorry but P2 sucked, it never really took off and was the first dead server we had after all the other banged. There was a mass exodus from it because of the layout.

I would like to see a new server banged with no mods, the exp loss returned to the way it was before the patch and a true spiral server. P3 was a great layout, nothing was more then 30 hops from anywhere with great black hole locations. Also no random layouts cause I have said this before, new people have no idea how to build/defend colonies that have no suggestions from older players on what to build or not. At best they are all nuke eaters which is no fun to invade. With a little skill you could slide most of the guns and use skill acquired from invading the same planet layout. This teaches players the tricks they need invading thus keeping the game interesting for players old an new. I think this is why Golden Age is still the most popular server out of all of them cause it is very close to the old game settings. It would also be good if Toonce made an appearance in game so often like Blitz.

Best way to contact Toonces is thru forum PM's or at http://www.starportgame.com . If you nag him enough he will create the server that was discussed here. Make sure to attatch a link of this forum pod refarn post

If random layouts are retained then have it 80% traditional layouts and 20% random layouts. PM your ideas to Toonces, he is usually more receptive if you discuss this out of the public forum. No harm in creating a new server, whoever complains and does not like can go to a older server with the settings they prefer.

I think I have said this before but I think it should be a Pay-To-Play server, something like $5-$10 a month in Admiral Tokens. You could buy them which would be good for Toonces to cover his operating costs and make it worth his while or you could Pay-To-Play converting Admiral Tokens from another server to pay for the new server. That way anyone can play a Fog of War /Mod /Random Layout / Golden Age or a traditional Rebang. This could also be done with a rebang using the settings I described above, I know we already have a Token rebang but this may increase Admiral Token sales as well. The happier Toonces is by us buying Admiral Tokens to more flexible he is redesigning a server for us all. Remember purchasing Admiral Tokens keeps Starport GE going for everyone even for the players that play for free.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Slider wrote:Heya all After playing this game for 8 years (Perm2) i miss the huge map with multi clusters it made the game have more then just 1 corp holding the galexy ... 2 months ago i came back and i couldnt find p2 so i go on p1 and try to start well withthe allinces being so big on almost every sever i practically quit all permas and have been playing blitz. Hope you can make a new sever like my home :) Thank you for your time and i hope you get the time to read this.
Under this idea there would be a lot of one-way arms and dead-ends. Is that what you're lookin for? Also it sounds like you want a clusters style galaxy layout rather than say a spiral like p1.

HUSKER

Post by HUSKER » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 am

How about a cluster map but not as big. Like the old 11th dimension map. That was awesome and I hear everyone talking about it saying how it was the best map ever and I agree. I think the more nostalgic of us would love to see something like that come back.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:58 pm

P3 had plenty of dead ends and it was a spiral, as far as dead end clusters all that gets are corps that build only in dead ends and get all their cols taken in a few days. besides we don't have the player base to support any more servers. Delete the dead ones and put the player base back together on one-two servers.

The idea is to have a map where large corps can't go and hide in remote clusters where nobody wants to go, you need to have traffic overlapping on any map to promote invading. Contrary to what some may think Starport was never a game where you go build a area and nobody will ever bother you again. If you want this then go play the other 8 dead servers that nobody plays then enjoy your virtual empire.

Golden Age, almost 900 days old still kicks the crap outta all the other servers combined. 35 players logged in the other nite, 15-20 consistent towards the evening. This is your example of how successful servers are made, not all the other attempts. The single most important thing that this game needs is a consistent player base, it has shrank to maybe 10% of what it was a few years back, mainly because of all the upsetting of the balance of the game thru the crazy new server ideas. Good ideas but if only 2 out of 30 people like the idea then whats the point.

And husker all you heard about the old 11th Dimension was us reminiscing about how good the game used to be, nothing more.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 pm

I agree that we need less servers not more. I also agree that golden age is still kicking donkey. The only reason I can't seem to get interested in golden age is because it's the same old layouts that everyone knows and loves and domes the exact same places we've all invaded a million times. Random layouts are much more interesting for building and invading in my opinion, I only wish more people would play taurean sector.

I loved original 11th map because no system was more than 20 hops away from any other system and that's not even using black holes. This kept the action fast paced and made a big difference in how wars played out.

Perfect server to me would be classic settings with 25k population (never been done), large systems (15-30 colonizable planet systems all over), lots of ports and bases like most new servers, shields regenerate at a much faster rate for ports, cluster map like old 11th where you were never far from the action (10-20 hops from any location to any other location), random layouts, and no mods.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Ok, heres my opinion. I log on to sge and i see G.a with an average of 12-15 people, Taurean 2nd with 7-10 people, then EVERY mod server has 1-2 people online...sometimes lucky they get 4. The point is...11th and DMJ need to go. Far travalers is going...thanks. But you gotta seal the deal and close 11th and dmj , when that happens THEN we can talk about new servers... me personally i would like another partner server, corp size 2...

-cow

p.s. NO mod of course :)

HUSKER

Post by HUSKER » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't know. As much as I enjoy playing no mod and it being "like the old days", I sometimes enjoy going on to invade with some mods... But I totally agree with Breakdown. THAT server would be bomb.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 pm

breakdown wrote:Perfect server to me would be classic settings with 25k population (never been done), large systems (15-30 colonizable planet systems all over), lots of ports and bases like most new servers, shields regenerate at a much faster rate for ports, cluster map like old 11th where you were never far from the action (10-20 hops from any location to any other location), random layouts, and no mods.
That sounds like a pretty good start to an idea.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 am

Toonces wrote:
breakdown wrote:Perfect server to me would be classic settings with 25k population (never been done), large systems (15-30 colonizable planet systems all over), lots of ports and bases like most new servers, shields regenerate at a much faster rate for ports, cluster map like old 11th where you were never far from the action (10-20 hops from any location to any other location), random layouts, and no mods.
That sounds like a pretty good start to an idea.

One thing, please limit the Random Layouts to 40% of total galaxy. I've said this a few times but I will say it again, with Random Layouts newer players cannot be taught how to properly build colonies so when they spend tons of time building colonies only to be invaded by veteran players then we lose any new players that might have stuck around if someone taught them what to build and what not to (Traditional Layouts) Almost all of the Random Layouts are nukes eaters anyway and are no fun at all for invading. Also by having a percentage of Random Layouts the other players already know how to properly build the older layouts thus creating a better balance to the game. Oceans and Earths should have a solar buff cause they are the only cols that make good cash but are too easy to invade. Current planet settings has created cash poor servers. Also rethink volcano's, greenhouses and arctics, they are pretty much colonies types that nobody builds anymore cause they suck. Mountains just need to stop being pollution monsters and be useful again for creating resources to build other colonies in system (Atom Smasher). When all the player base builds are Rocky's then invasions suffer thus creating stagnant gameplay.

As far as 25k population colonies that is just a pipe dream, all it does is make monster corps even bigger with inflated colonists and OP Military. Make it like it was when the new GA banged and we could zound colonies pretty easy, sorry but 25k Rockies everywhere is just a bad idea. If you really are going to do another server please rethink the colony types and make them more builder friendly/better military instead of wasted planets in large systems of 15-20 planets.

Buy the way, good ideas Breakdown but they are only good for builders. Remember Permas are not ReBangs and Invaders are just as important to the game as Builders. This game was never about building colonies and thinking nobody should be allowed to invade them. If the ideas are not tweaked then the new server will be a repeat of Classics.....10k pop colonies 10/120 solars on all of them and greedy corps controlling everything and no small corps could survive. What the game needs the most is a influx of new players that will actually play on a regular basis and maybe recommend to friends, not creating Private Utopian servers just for the players that have been with the game for 6-7 years. Been there done that, the formula does not work anymore...

All the other underachiever servers need to be deleted, waste of bandwidth for the 2 players that actively play them. 11'th, DMJ, Hercules, Galaxy of Life all are stagnant....get rid of them. If players cry then they can go to FW with the Fog of war map and nobody will ever bother them again. Keep Boundless....last original server other then P1. Personally I think P1 should be deleted or rebanged, it's turned into the old folks home and does not perform well but for SGE history I guess it could be left alone.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 am

lots of ports and bases like most new servers, shields regenerate at a much faster rate for ports, cluster map like old 11th where you were never far from the action (10-20 hops from any location to any other location)
These options are all great for invaders and an improvement on any invading server out there in my opinion.

Lots of ports and bases are obviously helpful to both builders and invaders.

All systems close to each other means you can always attack a system from a base or a nuke base. Anywhere can be used to attack anywhere else practically so mounting an attack would always be an option. There would be no hiding in arms or building far from bases, period. You can also quickly and fuel efficiently get to any system to defend it from invaders.

Obviously cheap shields is a huge deal in wars and when it comes to planning your next invade, significantly faster regenerating ports would be a huge advantage to invaders.

Overall I think it would be a good server for building, invading, and hopefully fighting. But everyone has their own idea on what's good for the game and I'd love to hear from more of the community on what makes a server they will want to play.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 am

Well it is very simple, the game got turned upside down with the mod patch....fast forward a few years later and we got Golden Age banged with the old settings of the game. Out of all the other servers GA wins hands down and it's almost 900 days old. The players have spoken...no more silly idea permas...no one wants random layouts otherwise Taurean Sector would be more popular then a old server like GA. Random Layouts are a fail...just like the Fog of War and all the other things tried.

The players that play perma's that matter still want a game that is close as possible before the mod patch. I'm all for a new server but under the old rules of gameplay. Make a expert setting no mod server with whatever map and spice it up by making some of the cols random layouts and it will be a winner. We don't need another GA that has ports in every system and 30 cols in system either. P3 and 11'th had the best maps...bang a real old school server...none of this 25k crap and watch the game take back off again like it did when Toonces banged Golden Age. The constant activity alone is obviously what the players want. Not more of the game being turned upside down anymore.

Anyone that does not with to play the new server well there are plenty of others for them to play as well, to each their own but no more of these wild ideas for new permas that nobody wants.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 am

Making a new server will just hurt the activity in GA. why dont we just have GA, 1 Pax, and Blitz, and maybe a rebang or two?

And if activity increases, add servers. Adjust to the player base.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

10k pop, 300 npcs, no mods, no asteroids, cluster map, corp size 6

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 am

gamanche wrote:10k pop, 300 npcs, no mods, no asteroids, cluster map, corp size 6
this

HUSKER

Post by HUSKER » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 am

we already established that 10k pop would be dumb. Also, make corp size atleast 10. That promotes invading.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

gamanche wrote:10k pop, 300 npcs, no mods, no asteroids, cluster map, corp size 6

Been there done that, the server was called "Classics"

Home of 10k pop planets, all 10/120 and no pollution either.

Last time I checked it got deleted a few years ago.......oh yeah then TOR Banged. So I guess we need another new server for the 3 people that want to play it.

How about this, make a server with just "Builder Mods" available.....no weapons mods or ship special features at all just mods that make building easier. You could even offer double the capacity a ship can carry items like lasers and mines, NOT NUKES!!!! for 5k tokens a month. This would stimulate building a new server as well. Similar to a Dex Bolt that expire after 90 days. Now this server would be a hit.

A Hybrid mod/no mod server with above mentioned settings would attract a lot more players then another server of boring settings.
Last edited by WeGotDeathStar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm

I completly beg to differ, i think many people enjoy random layouts, it is VERY fun to build cols with corpys and debate over good col locations, every col is different and i love it , never heard anyone else say random layouts are bad

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Hybrid server would be good and keep the random layouts, just make like 50% old style cols, 50% random domes and I think everyone would be happy. Especially if we got builder mods the server would build up really fast then the wars start which stimulate token sales.

Win/Win for everyone.

ItsMcCrazy

Post by ItsMcCrazy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 am

How about a server like Battle Royale used to be? :D one maybe....with the 5k bio3 cols, single shot solar, pollution would still be mandatory of course, no mods, pretty much everything pre douchebags lmfao XD that would be epic...invading then was harder than it is now by far, and i think building was more matched with the speed it takes to invade back then also. Just a thought :D

Lookingglass

Post by Lookingglass » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:57 pm

I was always a fan of P2's layout, Battle Royal's after it became a perma and Ring of Fire's layout. Also love p1's layout but thats kind of a given seeing as it was my first perma XD

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Port Shield prices should go back too Old Skool ways too ...if a guy wants a planet that bad he should be made too work for it - i got fed up spending $ 6 mill building a colony .. only to see some guy take for $ 250k in Shields,

These things make the difference.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:24 am

Better solution is to make cols cheap to build. If the shield prices are too high nobody invades, ppl complain and game gets dead. Make cols a lot cheaper and easier to build and the cheaper shield prices would no longer be a issue.

Now a discussion on port negs was discussed on another post, I agree that they suck but we don't have noobs playing building cols with having stuffed weapons factories and everyone else that plays has been around long enough to know not to build weapons factories on junk cols, they select when and where very carefully as a good player should. Without the port negs nobody could invade in this current game environment due to the reasons stated. No invaders = no wars = no token sales. Builders can't have their cake and eat it too, the game is set up for building/invading/fighting. None of those should take special precedence of the others.

omlow

Post by omlow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 am

D-Tox1 wrote:Port Shield prices should go back too Old Skool ways too ...if a guy wants a planet that bad he should be made too work for it - i got fed up spending $ 6 mill building a colony .. only to see some guy take for $ 250k in Shields,

These things make the difference.
i think shields should be either 20 creds per shield and not effected by supply/demand (like it used to be) or minimum price 1 maximum price 40 and have the supply/demand effected by the amount of shields purchased rather than the amount of money spent on shields.

ItsMcCrazy

Post by ItsMcCrazy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Cut it back to old school shields, where it cost 140k for 15k worth of shields at 100%, and increases sell%...would definitely even out the build:invade table in terms of credits

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:02 pm

ItsMcCrazy wrote:Cut it back to old school shields, where it cost 140k for 15k worth of shields at 100%, and increases sell%...would definitely even out the build:invade table in terms of credits
/hugs

Somebody on the same wavelength. /salute :D

Unlimited Shield ability from Ports created mass invasions - which isn't fair for Builders one bit.
Bring back the art of having to work to Invade .. Builders have to do it - so why shouldn't the Invaders.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Lookingglass wrote:I was always a fan of P2's layout, Battle Royal's after it became a perma and Ring of Fire's layout. Also love p1's layout but thats kind of a given seeing as it was my first perma XD
How would you feel about trying your hand at making your own galaxy layout?