A new Server

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: A new Sever

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Toonces wrote:
How would you feel about trying your hand at making your own galaxy layout?

I would love to, I want a percentage of token sales on the new server I make cause it's gonna be a huge success :)

Toonces
Site Admin

Re: A new Sever

Post by Toonces » Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
Toonces wrote:
How would you feel about trying your hand at making your own galaxy layout?

I would love to, I want a percentage of token sales on the new server I make cause it's gonna be a huge success :)
That's not a bad idea, and worth consideration. At first it'll be a lump sum and chosen by a democratic approach where players can vote on whose galaxy to elect as the next public one. Then, that player or players gets a lump token prize (given in a different galaxy so as not to give the designer(s) a head start in their own galaxy), as well as a design credit.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: A new Server

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 am

I would gladly do it for free, just kidding about the tokens. my only wish is to see the game succeed. How hard would it be to make the mod tools to allow the game to be reset back to 2007 settings, I'm sure someone has a old copy of the game somewhere before the mod patches. Can this be used as a template to create a new galaxy?

Of course there will be unhappy players, no matter what you do there will always be resentment as I'm sure everyone knows. Maybe a poll can be implemented with some ideas on how a new server should be created? Only thing is this must be done in-game as the forums can be manipulated too easy by people making multiple accounts. You have the Universal Announcements in place so maybe they can be used as a voting tool?

BNK

Post by BNK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 pm

just thought i would post my enquiry on this issue as im soon to be homeless with no planets to dome as my server is closing :(

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:01 am

I would be more inclined to see a map like Classic Homeworlds, it was big had some good arms, medium sized. The problem right now with a HUGE map is there isn't enough player base and it would die off too rapidly, and the problem with a smaller one is they always die quick, like civil war and P6. But CH was to my recollection a very successful server as far as activity for a lengthy period.

Ive also always been a fan of 10k dome build settings, obviously hatezor mods.
5 man corp max, too big of corps sticks too many friendlys together and causes a rapid take over, or at least too much stagnation because everyone is trying to NAP the big dawg/ most active corp.

Limit the number of contractors, maybe 1 per person or something, can't completely cut out the friends who are going to work together, but you can make it more difficult, may be able to generate a little more competition.
That's my 2 cents :)

EDIT; Id also like to see all old layouts, none of the player drawn ones, and no randoms, reduce solar shot back down to 50/per and letter rip!

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:27 am

No mods is all I care about.

Gloin

Post by Gloin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 am

Dark.Cloud wrote:I would be more inclined to see a map like Classic Homeworlds, it was big had some good arms, medium sized. The problem right now with a HUGE map is there isn't enough player base and it would die off too rapidly, and the problem with a smaller one is they always die quick, like civil war and P6. But CH was to my recollection a very successful server as far as activity for a lengthy period.

Ive also always been a fan of 10k dome build settings, obviously hatezor mods.
5 man corp max, too big of corps sticks too many friendlys together and causes a rapid take over, or at least too much stagnation because everyone is trying to NAP the big dawg/ most active corp.

Limit the number of contractors, maybe 1 per person or something, can't completely cut out the friends who are going to work together, but you can make it more difficult, may be able to generate a little more competition.
That's my 2 cents :)

EDIT; Id also like to see all old layouts, none of the player drawn ones, and no randoms, reduce solar shot back down to 50/per and letter rip!
what he said. 10k pop max with the reduced pollution so that the max any given colony would have would be around 3%/day

I STAND BEHIND HAVING EMPIRES THAT ARE EASY TO CLEAN AND NOT HAVING SOME COLONIES 14%POL/DAY AND OTHERS 8% AND OTHERS 2%... hugging GAY...

k but yeah in all seriousness Classic Homeworlds was the bomb

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:41 am

Gloin, the option in colony management called "Environmental Research" was made for players to combat pollution in their empires without cleaning or hiring janitors.

Are you making the case that the effect of "Environmental Research" is still too weak in comparison to the effect of other workforce options such as "Military"?