Things that are annoying me

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

BarbaraWalters

Things that are annoying me

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 pm

#1, needing 3-4 nukes to kill one laser on a 100% military colony
#2 nukes that don't lock onto a turret, they simply fly in a straight line and hit nothing
#3 nukes that do a 180 degree turn to hit something BEHIND it.
#4 when drop nuking on a ring or a layout with lasers close to warphole, you take damage even when the laser fire is nowhere near you

#1 is the most annoying

Please post if you agree, I just came back from a break and these are things that are driving me crazy only after a few days of invading.

duece

Re: Things that are annoying me

Post by duece » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 pm

#2 was a patch, nukes don't lock on to lasers if there's a wall in between them. I think 1 is some type of lag-effect, but it sucks.

homegrowndurbin

Post by homegrowndurbin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I agree wit #4. This has been happening more and more...

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 am

duece wrote:#2 was a patch, nukes don't lock on to lasers if there's a wall in between them. I think 1 is some type of lag-effect, but it sucks.
Also another thing to add, if I shoot 2 nukes, and the first nuke kills the laser, the 2nd nuke simply doesn't lock onto anything else and flys right past other turrets.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 am

Good points Gloin. I will be fixing most of these things soon.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Toonces wrote:Good points Gloin. I will be fixing most of these things soon.
fix robbing while ur at it

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 pm

The nukes turning 180 degrees has been like that forever. It was improved about a year ago then went back to the old way. 2 nukes should always kill a gun while drop nuking unless the military is set high on the colony. The higher the military the faster the guns regenerate and heal.

I don't know if the energy bug was fixed but the way it was you could not hold thrust while attempting a cap without losing energy. this means drifting into a dome and if any lasers hit you energy goes down and stays that way.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:The nukes turning 180 degrees has been like that forever. It was improved about a year ago then went back to the old way. 2 nukes should always kill a gun while drop nuking unless the military is set high on the colony. The higher the military the faster the guns regenerate and heal.

I don't know if the energy bug was fixed but the way it was you could not hold thrust while attempting a cap without losing energy. this means drifting into a dome and if any lasers hit you energy goes down and stays that way.

Yeah he messed up something with energy, not sure if it was intentional or not.

I noticed this quite a long time ago when nobody else had. simply holding down the up arrow key never used to consume any energy, but now when you hold down the up arrow key (no shift) your energy regen is considerably slower. This is exceptionally shitty when you're in close, dodging 10 shot solar shots and trying to nuke at the same time.

Energy regen is just wonky now in general, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's super fast... it's not a huge deal really but I preferred it the old way

duece

Post by duece » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 pm

You're right about the thrusting, that was a change Toonces made while I wasn't playing and noticed it when I came back. I'd like it if it were reduced just because it mostly affects the things that were already the most difficult.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:39 am

One day I realized that it cost no energy to thrust. To me that seemed like an error, so I fixed it. You could make the argument that the cost is too high right now, but I don't think there's much of an argument that it should be completely free.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Toonces wrote:One day I realized that it cost no energy to thrust. To me that seemed like an error, so I fixed it. You could make the argument that the cost is too high right now, but I don't think there's much of an argument that it should be completely free.
Wow

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

If Toonces actually played this game almost everyday like we have then he would realize that changing something like energy which always was a given upsets the basic balance of the game. Invading on a non-mod server requires an invader to have 3 superconductors just to invade.

When he patched the energy regen there was not one person that supported this change, maybe noobs that want to have virtual empires liked it because invading became much more difficult. But in reality the good invaders could nuke out some guns at the dome then cap, with the energy bug this change is nullified by destroying all the guns near the dome and all this does is waste more time. When a fun thing like invading is turned into a chore players lose interest. It used to be that you could slide domes and cap because you had skill, changing the basics only creates a game that becomes bland and does not promote better players thru practice.

This is not the only problem but if the philosophy that has been implemented by our dev continues then ultimately gameplay suffers and the game continues to die. Best thing I can say Toonces is don't change things you do not understand the ramifications of. Just because you may want to listen to the ideas of one player doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer from poor decisions. The number one thing that should be done is any changes should be limited to one server, not a blanket change. It has been discussed in the past and should really be implemented from now on. I'm sure that the changes Toonces make are not meant to upset us but if things are changed without consideration of the majority then we will continues to have posts like this with complaints.

Something to consider is maybe you should create a group of players to discuss and major game changes. Have builders, invaders, builders, rebangers and anyone else that has been playing and fully understands the subject matter to hear about new ideas and build on the good ones. I'm sorry to say Toonce and don't take this the wrong way but you have shown that you are out of touch with the basics of this game and most things you change have detrimental effects to the well being of Starport.

duece

Post by duece » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Toonces wrote:One day I realized that it cost no energy to thrust. To me that seemed like an error, so I fixed it. You could make the argument that the cost is too high right now, but I don't think there's much of an argument that it should be completely free.
It should definitely be reduced. I don't know exactly how much energy it takes now, but cutting it in half would be a good start. It had a negative affect on invasion because the more advanced techniques (like precision nuking and torping under cannon fire) became less effective compared to the basic things (like sitting still and firing nukes).

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:30 am

duece wrote:
It should definitely be reduced. I don't know exactly how much energy it takes now, but cutting it in half would be a good start. It had a negative affect on invasion because the more advanced techniques (like precision nuking and torping under cannon fire) became less effective compared to the basic things (like sitting still and firing nukes).
I agree, I'd rather see it taken out, but reduced if nothing else

duece

Post by duece » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:13 am

Actually, I have another pet-peeve. Energy on stock-mod servers is less than what it was pre-mod, some level of energy dynamo needs to be worked into the stock-mod setup to be closer to the 'classic' feel.

S1lver

Post by S1lver » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:21 am

what he should do is dont even put mods on a server and just buff the ships stats

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:34 pm

I think Toonces has no idea how many people are just sitting back angry and disgusted at what the game has become and just waiting for him to make the right decision to put the game back on the right track.

You have a ton of people here that have 5-7 years under their belt of SGE that cannot stomach the current product, just make us one true pre mod patch server and let us play in peace on it.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 am

1 thru 3 have been addressed. Working on 4 now.

Let me know how it feels if you get a chance to test out the new dynamics.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 am

Toonces wrote:1 thru 3 have been addressed. Working on 4 now.

Let me know how it feels if you get a chance to test out the new dynamics.
It's great so far, thanks :)

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Try out #4 now if you can

Caia

Post by Caia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:48 am

Well, I'm very impressed. Things are being fixed. Good job, Toonces. :)

Keep this pace up for a while and I'd imagine people are going to get curious enough to check out the game again.