How many of you would.........

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

How many of you would.........

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 pm

How many of the SGE community would actually consider coming back full time if Toonce restored the game to exactly the way it was before the mod patch? Would you play if it was a token to join server?

I'm sure there are many waiting in the shadows to peek back into SGE. Lets put it another way Toonces, how much would it cost us in initial token "Donations" for you to make us what we want? You coded the game once I'm sure it could be done again for the right price.

Oh yeah, by the way we mean the old Starport, the one without mods, you lose 25% of your exp if we bag you and none of this random dome layouts. Random dome layouts are a novel idea but they do not teach the newer players how to properly build/defend colonies. All the random layouts do is shake the boredom from the older players......give us some fresh meat to play with and trust me nobody will be crying about the random layouts being gone. We don't need more nuke waster cols...we need more people actively playing.

And I'll beat the Golden Age horse some more, 3 servers banged after it and it still has more players then the past 3 servers combined.

S1lver

Re: How many of you would.........

Post by S1lver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

OMG GUY YOUR SO hugging SMART DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES THE ONE AND ONLY KANGO IS IN THE HOUSE NIGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm

This has been proposed like 700 times. I think if Toonces banged a server like classic homeworlds again it'd spark some interest.

It'd be cool if we had some sort of a pre-registration for new servers. People who register get to play the server for 1, 2, or 3 days before anyone else.
This way players can see competition, also it will have A LOT more interest than just having a new server out of the blue.

Somebody needs to start a facebook group for Starport. I know this sounds geeky but honest to god it's the easiest way to contact people and try to get the old players BACK into the game. This DOES work. That way when a new server bangs we can let them know through FB. Also players can post their latest caps or news starport related.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 am

Classic Homeworlds Yes, not the 10k pop domes. They are dumb cause they are all 10/120's all day long. Noobs can't play these servers cause invading is just too hard for them to learn properly.

Think P3, Spiral map and the game without super thrusters and all the fail attempts at matching mods to the old settings. No mods, Expert server and every single aspect that the game was before the mod patch. Yay or nay on the ref slider patch but either way this was the best of this game before mods banged.

The excuse before is that the old game was not backed up and we were stuck with what we got but Toonces has been able to add Fog Of War servers, Random planet layouts, etc. So I say bull to the old excuse that it can't be done. All he has to do is watch the many SGE videos on YouTube done before the mod patch and it should be obvious on how to restore the game exactly to the old settings.

And I reiterate that many would be willing to make token "Donations" to make this happen. Whats the harm, it's only one server out of all the rest of the abortions people play on.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Or reverse engineer someone's old client. Sure there are a few of them laying around some old players comps. Think even crim might have something from 2006,

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:22 pm

avitohol wrote:Or reverse engineer someone's old client. Sure there are a few of them laying around some old players comps. Think even crim might have something from 2006,

Great Idea Avit, I think I have a old version on a IDE drive somewhere. I'll look for it.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 am

You guys do realize there's a whole ecosystem of great free AAA titles out there, right?

The old SGE was good in a different context (time, competition and community) and wouldn't cut it in these modern times.