Greenlight

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Khayman

Greenlight

Post by Khayman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

I saw this piece of Steam News today and thought of SGE immediately.

Steam has been accepting free to play games for quite a while now. With the new Greenlight system launching at the end of August, I think it be an awesome opportunity for SGE. If Toonces were to submit SGE for consideration, and it were approved, it'd bring in tons of new players for the game. It could really liven the community up and bring in a big rush of token sales. With enough votes from the current playerbase, plus old players who've been considering returning lately, I think the game could stand a fair chance at making it through.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: Greenlight

Post by Saber-Fury » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 am

exactly what sge needs, sounds like a great idea.

and toonces should give tourneys for a vote and good comment :wink:

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I knew the forums were dead, but I didn't actually realize HOW dead. Two days and only three posts on the forums, one of which was my thread and the other a reply to it.

It's like a ghost town here, and it's a shame. I remember when this place was so lively. Could just sit here and refresh the forums and every minute or two there'd be a new post or a new thread popping up. And that was before the Garbage Chute. Is the game faring any better? Servers active at all?

duece

Post by duece » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Khayman wrote:I knew the forums were dead, but I didn't actually realize HOW dead. Two days and only three posts on the forums, one of which was my thread and the other a reply to it.

It's like a ghost town here, and it's a shame. I remember when this place was so lively. Could just sit here and refresh the forums and every minute or two there'd be a new post or a new thread popping up. And that was before the Garbage Chute. Is the game faring any better? Servers active at all?
It all fell apart after you left, it turned out you were the one holding everything together.

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 pm

duece wrote:
Khayman wrote:I knew the forums were dead, but I didn't actually realize HOW dead. Two days and only three posts on the forums, one of which was my thread and the other a reply to it.

It all fell apart after you left, it turned out you were the one holding everything together.
I guess without the constant free exp from killing me, the game just wasn't worth playing any more. People must've run away crying. I may have been great with colonies, but god was I bad at pvp.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 am

I would also like to add that alot of the players from the last 2 years or so tend not to use the forums.

Otherwise good idea, i'll drop a vote. Think i got like 2 steam accounts. One from my old counterstrike 1.5 days and another just to get a non-glitchy KOTOR copy.

Caia

Post by Caia » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 am

Well hug you too then.
Last edited by Caia on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

It'll have my vote

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Sounds like a great idea, but it's not launching until the end of August. Good work Khayman.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Toonces wrote:Sounds like a great idea, but it's not launching until the end of August. Good work Khayman. Although it will probably make me a ton of money I have an idea that is a complete 180 of what you suggested so thanks for your input but unless I think of it myself it will not be implemented.

mArImBa

Post by mArImBa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
Toonces wrote:Sounds like a great idea, but it's not launching until the end of August. Good work Khayman. Although it will probably make me a ton of money I have an idea that is a complete 180 of what you suggested so thanks for your input but unless I think of it myself it will not be implemented.
who needs you, dingo? gtfo this forum if all you do is mocking the game.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 pm

mArImBa wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:
who needs you, dingo? gtfo this forum if all you do is mocking the game.
Mocking the game is part of the growth system in the game. I tend to think that veteran players are the ones that find enjoyment in the game. Not the ones that take it too seriously, which tends to kill the fun.

But yeah end of august is not too far away when providing a product to a larger market. Considering that a lot of the development is pretty sandbox.

Major

Post by Major » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Great idea!

Would love to see it exposed to so many new users.

TheMarine

Post by TheMarine » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Steam will not accept a failing game They look at the game from start to present and since they see its decline and players leaving.
They will not support this game. most of the fault belongs to the main owner who had ruined it over the last few years. and
Now he just don't give a care Even now he has the rediculous Idea that Pax BB should Have 16 million dollar dome's
how is that competitive? Plain and simple It is not.
His reply " its supply and demand, If someone buys them at cheaper prices then they will all be gone"
Wait who is the coder for this game? Two things This either proves he hasn't a clue as to how to program or
he wants Pax BB gone.

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 am

Bumping this thread as Greenlight is now official.

Toonces, please submit S:GE as quickly as possible.

You'll need the game, website, and forums of course. Some screenshots (Maybe have a screenshot competition to get some great ones. Winner gets tokens or something). A description to draw people in, and a nice looking piece of art to catch people's eye. The art is thumbnail size, 512x512.
Sample description from a current highly-favorited game wrote:DESCRIPTION
Official site can be found at: http://www.buttopaintauniverse.com

A puzzle game, telling the story of a little girls struggle to restore a broken sky. Play through a diverse adventure, where the rules change in every level, or test your skills in the time attack mode, trying for the best score. Enjoy a wonderful aesthetical experience, and get lost in the world of But to Paint a Universe.

But to Paint a Universe is a puzzle game with unique gameplay elements, trying to something different than the standard Bejeweled or match-3 type of play. It also features an interesting narrative and an intoxicating atmosphere, with beautiful levels, and a custom, piano-based soundtrack. This creates a charming and unique atmosphere, which combined with the varied and fun gameplay forms a casual, yet challenging game. The game contains an Adventure Mode, which takes you through 20 levels, each one different from the previous one, with a unique challenge, tied together by a narrative told through the environment.

- An adventure mode with 20 uniquely different levels
- Gorgeous imagery and a professional soundtrack
- Immersive gameworld, and challenging gameplay
- A storybook narrative, engaging the player to the game

"There seems to be a movement in the indie scene towards these very peaceful, gentle, Zen-like puzzle games. It’s like developers are deconstructing what a game is, reinventing what has traditionally been a very challenge-driven, competitive, high-pressure medium. Within that context, But to Paint a Universe succeeds admirably, and casual gamers could certainly do worse than pick it up." - Indiegamereviewer

"Gorgeous backgrounds. Soundtrack is very relaxing. Unique style of puzzle gameplay. - Gamezebo

"One thing is certain: we are not facing the usual more or less successful clone of Puzzle Quest, and congratulations in being able to find something new in this area are totally deserved." - Theindieshelter
Greenlight is entirely community-choice. So the players here need to get in there and vote. Create a Steam account if you don't currently have one. It's completely free and takes about 3 minutes between registering and confirming your email.

This could easily revitalize SGE. Bring in new players, which will liven up the community, bring in new token sales to benefit development, as well as bring in new ideas to possibly help Toonces decide what to work on next. Having the game on the Steam f2p list would be incredible. There's a limited number of games currently there, so SGE would be quite easy to find.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm

512 x 512 branding image:

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 pm

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Trailer, Youtube version: http://youtu.be/aTzgn4CfDS4

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Decent video but it need some music to get new player excited, the old music of starport was much better then the newer, dark music opening. Also the game looks slow and lame, maybe speed up some parts of the video to boost interest.

Also I see a lot of pre mod footage....hint hint :D Something that needs to change in game in that you should bring back the message that you defeated a flak/laser cannon. This is very important to a player especially when drop nuking among other things. If this was a issue in rebangs with free exp then that's fine, have the message tell them that is was defeated but give no exp on rebags or permas. Exp for killing guns is really not needed on permas but again it would be nice to know we killed our target.

Any way nice job but I would suggest that a few players here help with the video, you have no space fights at all. PVP has and always be a important aspect to any mmorpg game.

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I've just finalized the submission to Greenlight, and the game is now up. Please, get on there and vote. Creating a Steam account is 100% free and takes only a few minutes.
The Greenlight page can be found here

The more votes SGE gets, the more visible it is.

Screenshots that I currently need:
Biodome management screen
Pirate starport
IGP
5v5/better fight, or Corp v Corp fight
Drop nuking at the beginning of an invasion

An invasion video or two would be great as well.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I will see if I can get you some screen shots of the stuff I might be able to acquire by flying around on Taureen. Good Job though!

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks a lot Luna. I just remade my account, old one was deleted from inactivity I'm assuming. Not much I can do with a merchant ship and a peashooter, and the screenshot sticky in the Tavern hasn't been updated in months. All I ask is you scroll the chat window to the welcome message before you take the screenshot. The point where it says "Welcome to Starport. There are x players online. There are x accounts in the galaxy." Had to ignore a few good screenshots because of what was in the chat window.

We just hit 1200 views and 12 favorites. About the right ratio as far as Greenlight is concerned. Most games on there get 10/1000 views.

Biggest problem is the number of fake submissions. People submitting games like Mass Effect 3 as if they created it. Even found Sims and Minecraft on there at one point. :lol:

Clutters up the list and pushes real games back a page or two.

duece

Post by duece » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Khayman wrote:Thanks a lot Luna. I just remade my account, old one was deleted from inactivity I'm assuming. Not much I can do with a merchant ship and a peashooter, and the screenshot sticky in the Tavern hasn't been updated in months. All I ask is you scroll the chat window to the welcome message before you take the screenshot. The point where it says "Welcome to Starport. There are x players online. There are x accounts in the galaxy." Had to ignore a few good screenshots because of what was in the chat window.

We just hit 1200 views and 12 favorites. About the right ratio as far as Greenlight is concerned. Most games on there get 10/1000 views.

Biggest problem is the number of fake submissions. People submitting games like Mass Effect 3 as if they created it. Even found Sims and Minecraft on there at one point. :lol:

Clutters up the list and pushes real games back a page or two.
Where could I see this?

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

I posted it just above Luna's reply, but it was a small link.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=93592352

Also, just noticed that it got added to the large collection of space-genre Greenlight games. That ought to help with views a bit. Still waiting to hear back from Toonces. He hasn't yet seen the submission.

Don't forget to both Rate and Favorite it once you've made an account. Comments wouldn't hurt. The existing SGE community's support would give the game a nice boost, and help the Greenlight community see the game as well.

thorn

Post by thorn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 am

Hopefully the more comments the more likely people are to look at it :)

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Here's a new branding image we can try. Do you think they will let us sub it out, kayman?

http://www.starportgame.com/image/SGEad.png

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I like the image for SGE!

Khayman

Post by Khayman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:12 pm

Just got your message, Toonces.

Swapping out the branding image isn't a problem at all. The new one is in place.

Also, we just hit 8600 unique views. I'd say that's a great amount of free advertising.

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 am

Pretty good that image. I'm just here to relive my old life. Will new players last the distance??

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for your forums warrioring, Chicboy :)