Reform

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Dark.Cloud

Reform

Post by Dark.Cloud » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:34 am

Duece and I have been discussing a direction for starport we would like the players, and toonces too consider, basically it is this.

Colony Changes:
1. Building needs a buff. something like half time, 2/3 resource requirements.
2. Weapons production should be +50-100%, with a reduction in resource requirements so to make it to where you can actually pump out weapons fairly well.
3. Add research power increase research and get rid of commodities market(imo)
4. Add an ore buff to planet types that don't produce much(oceans, earths, greenhouses, deserts & IGP)
5. IGP needs to be better, it should be a colony everyone wants not a crappy one no one cares about except to say they have it.

Invading:

Abolish port negs all-together. The means for invading should not be in every system innately.

Ship/Module Changes:

Reduce the number of modules from 8 to 3ish. Make the modules more powerful, but create a stacking penalty. (example: Flight module 1 increases speed 15%, but flight mod 2 only increases by 7%, and so on and so forth.)

3 module slots with 1 weapon slot and 1 scanner slot, and recombine the battle scanners with tacticals.

Base ship stats should be the most importants, with these things as smaller increases.

Make vulture the only ship that can hold surface missles, increase its shields but leave its speed as is.

Cloaking only for avenger as a normal cloak, other ships can only use it to cloak from radar and decrease lock range of nukes because the ships cant compensate properly or something.

Fusion blasters increase power, make them a laser version of photons essentially, more for invading, slower rate of fire and more power consumption(4-5 burst to kill a lser)

Speed star speed increase, and make it have the afterburner instead of rookie ship.

Make dexterity important again for ship handling and speed, so suits are better, dont nerf sc though.

The other weapons should be more powerful on there natural ships as well.

I may have forgotten some things along the way, thoughts concerns, TOONCES?

EDIT: I want nukes to be dodgeable with ships, but in a manner that doesnt bone the nuker, its all on skill.

Luna

Re: Reform-Toonces

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Excellent ideas. One I would add to Building, is tweek the research so it acually is specific to the planet type. No lvl 5 strip mining on a rocky or lvl 5 bacteria farming on a damn greenhouse. Give plantets things they can use. Volcs could use weather prediction for example.

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Luna wrote:Excellent ideas. One I would add to Building, is tweek the research so it acually is specific to the planet type. No lvl 5 strip mining on a rocky or lvl 5 bacteria farming on a damn greenhouse. Give plantets things they can use. Volcs could use weather prediction for example.

i would like this, except on galaxy of life, strip 5 is actually helpful because population stablizes so low

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:31 am

great ideas, would like to see this implemented. you should make a poll!

Major

Post by Major » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 pm

do want

BardockSGE

Re: Reform

Post by BardockSGE » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Good ideas except for the building buff.

BUILDING IS TOO hugging EASY TO BUFF

Building is sitting at where it should be. There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Don't hug with something that's not broken, plain and simple.

Get good baddies.

duece

Post by duece » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:01 am

BardockSGE wrote:Good ideas except for the building buff.

Building is sitting at where it should be. There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Don't hug with something that's not broken, plain and simple.

Get good baddies.
Building is easy, but it's slow. The buffs in the OP are all speed related. When someone loses the cols they spent a week building in one day, 90% of the time they quit. If it only took them 3 days to build those cols, more would stick around and keep building. Also there would be more colonies to invade, so everyone along the food chain wins.

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 am

duece wrote:

Get good baddies.
Building is easy, but it's slow. The buffs in the OP are all speed related. When someone loses the cols they spent a week building in one day, 90% of the time they quit. If it only took them 3 days to build those cols, more would stick around and keep building. Also there would be more colonies to invade, so everyone along the food chain wins.
Buildings fine where it is ...

Its the Invading that needs stalling - Far too easy.. Invading's screwed up - don't screw up the Building too.

Just make Invading harder ..JUST MAKE INVADING HARDER

omlow

Post by omlow » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 am

D-Tox1 wrote:Just make Invading harder ..JUST MAKE INVADING HARDER
but then both will be boring, so there'll be no point in playing the game.

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 am

omlow wrote:
What like how its become boring now ?

The reason Starport was a huge success before was because it was challenging ... something that is now lacking in this game.

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 am

Invading:

Abolish port negs all-together. The means for invading should not be in every system innately.

Ship/Module Changes:

Reduce the number of modules from 8 to 3ish. Make the modules more powerful, but create a stacking penalty. (example: Flight module 1 increases speed 15%, but flight mod 2 only increases by 7%, and so on and so forth.)

3 module slots with 1 weapon slot and 1 scanner slot, and recombine the battle scanners with tacticals.

Base ship stats should be the most importants, with these things as smaller increases.

Make vulture the only ship that can hold surface missles, increase its shields but leave its speed as is.

Cloaking only for avenger as a normal cloak, other ships can only use it to cloak from radar and decrease lock range of nukes because the ships cant compensate properly or something.

Fusion blasters increase power, make them a laser version of photons essentially, more for invading, slower rate of fire and more power consumption(4-5 burst to kill a lser)

Speed star speed increase, and make it have the afterburner instead of rookie ship.

Make dexterity important again for ship handling and speed, so suits are better, dont nerf sc though.
Dark.Cloud - this is a great suggestion mate :D

Only thing i'd suggest also - is lose Afterburners as a mod attachment ( this should in theory make fighting more fun and fair )
Also id bring back normal Exp gain per Player kill - when the rubbish exp gain for killing high rep Players was brought in it screwed everyone over and means once you have say 10 mill exp - its gonna be hard to lose it

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 pm

the ironic thing is, even if toonces listened to his veteran players, he still couldn't fix anything, cause everyone has there own idea of how the game should be tweaked. We all agree it should be 'fixed' to like it was before, but 4 year rollback aside, doubt he could sort through all the ideas :?

duece

Post by duece » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

D-Tox1 wrote:
omlow wrote:
What like how its become boring now ?

The reason Starport was a huge success before was because it was challenging ... something that is now lacking in this game.
Starport was by far most successful in the 1 shot solar days, when invading was even easier than it is now, and building was even easier than that. When you eliminate the time people spend on the game, you increase the time they spend against other people and that ends up being more challenging and funner. If invading is easy, defending is hard, so in the end the difficulty of the game doesn't change. No game between people can be easy because if you run into someone better than you it'll be hard. So your entire post misses the point.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I respect tox's opinion but I'd have to agree with Deuce - Starport was indeed a huge success because it was challenging, but not because the game itself was terribly hard, but because there was competition. Making the game simpler and easier without keeping it tedious and time consuming like it is now, and there will be more people playing, thus there will be more competition.

It's like with any team sport, football, baseball, american football, etc - the game's not terribly complex, though there are rules and structure - it's the competition from many other players which makes it a challenge!

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 pm

I'd like to point out that there's two types of challenging:

PVE based challenging (boring)

PVP based challenging (Fun)

I think old sge fell under the second bracket. You could lose 100 cols in a night and take back 200 the next. The fun part was stopping people from doing this. For that to happen, you need a mixture of easily manageable cols and easy to take cols. Fighting needs a massive balancing session, since i consider it a dead aspect of the game, be it with mods or without.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:14 pm

avitohol wrote:I'd like to point out that there's two types of challenging:

PVE based challenging (boring)

PVP based challenging (Fun)

I think old sge fell under the second bracket. You could lose 100 cols in a night and take back 200 the next. The fun part was stopping people from doing this. For that to happen, you need a mixture of easily manageable cols and easy to take cols. Fighting needs a massive balancing session, since i consider it a dead aspect of the game, be it with mods or without.
QFT

SiN

Post by SiN » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 am

Little late to that suggestion cloud. I mentioned it quite some time back and agree...the problem is the only feasible gameplay would be PAX style on tablets. Fighting and invading would be considerably harder to make feel fluid

SiN

Post by SiN » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Im sort of opposed to moving your ship with your finger because your hand would cover much of the screen. For it to work id say add arrow keys you can touch and hold or tap to alter course with a touch on the up key acting like a touch and hold tap to deactivate. When you really think about controls on a tablet there's a whole host of problems with regards to pvp and invading.

What I'd like to see is an initial release of pax rebangs on tablets, and pvp controls tested for an extended period of time by a small group toonce gives access to. Having it all release at once just seems like a recipe for disaster especially if a group of people who thrive on the pvp and invading elements of the game aren't given adequate input on the feel of controls.

Also, with regards to invading planet layouts would likely need to be simplified just because of the nature of touch controls and the smaller screen. Again time to test a nd a group of people who love to invade giving input that is taken very seriously would be nice.

That being said, I would love to see a tablet version with a single player sandbox galaxy available for offline play that also contains an in depth tutorial so people could learn/practice building. techniques and other elements of the game. I could really see the game going places on tablets if it is done right, but the gameplay can't exist as it does now if you want to see an expanded player base.

TheMarine

Post by TheMarine » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:14 pm

If building is so easy WHY are there so many empty planets without colonies in Every server

Get good baddies.