Solars!

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Solars!

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon May 21, 2012 12:56 am

Ok, thankfully the random d/c are now fixed. unfortunately there is a new problem: Solars, and pretty much everything associated with them, so I will detail all of that for all of you, right now!

-Toonces changed solars to automatically be aimed at the warp. That I have no problem with and feel it is a good change. The problem is that, whether through server lag, a glitch, or an ill-advised part of the change, the solar has already been shooting when you land on the colony. In the milisecond from when you hit the outside of the colony, to when your ship appears on it, if the col is domed at or close to the warp, the solar is already hitting you. This makes drop nuking more of a chore than it already is on most cols, and near impossible on anything directly below the warp.

-There is still constant server lag, and instead of making you d/c like it used to, the solar just stops, and you cant type or anything, and then like 10 seconds later it shoots like 38140174318008 blasts at you. If you're shields are low, or you're on a ring and are heading for warp, you have a good chance of dying!

omlow

Re: Solars!

Post by omlow » Mon May 21, 2012 1:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrNylOxBlo0

the first clip is what you're describing

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 am

That looked painful...solar burn.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon May 21, 2012 3:12 pm

yep omlow that's exactly it

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Seems like the solars are a bit more server side now, and in the gaps of lag that your client might have had before, it gathers a bunch of shots and then bursts them in yo face.

High-Roller

Post by High-Roller » Tue May 22, 2012 11:58 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:Seems like the solars are a bit more server side now, and in the gaps of lag that your client might have had before, it gathers a bunch of shots and then bursts them in yo face.
is that due to the roll back?

Caia

Post by Caia » Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:Seems like the solars are a bit more server side now, and in the gaps of lag that your client might have had before, it gathers a bunch of shots and then bursts them in yo face.
That was my thought as well.

High-Roller

Post by High-Roller » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Caia wrote:
but if u dont put it in full screen it wouldnt do that as much :D
-High-Roller-

omlow

Post by omlow » Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 am

High-Roller wrote:
Caia wrote:
-High-Roller-
how does that make any difference

High-Roller

Post by High-Roller » Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 am

-High-Roller-[/quote]

how does that make any difference[/quote]

less lag omlow cause lag causes the solor to do that

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 pm

High-Roller wrote:but if u dont put it in full screen it wouldnt do that as much :D
-High-Roller-
how does that make any difference[/quote]

less lag omlow cause lag causes the solor to do that[/quote]

Solars have never acted like this in the 5 years I have been playing this game, It all started after a fail attempt to fix a bug that was being exploited allowing players to circumvent all of the colonies defenses. We got a rollback because of a guy that owns 5 colonies, lag and disconnects costing a lot of lost tokens and warp fuel. This in not progress nor improvement.

This is not just a inconvenience, it is a detrimental problem to the games core dynamics that have been screwed up and not fixed because of the actions of a few players that felt the need to cheat. How can one take a mostly functioning product and ruin it to try to fix something?

I would like to buy some tokens as I am running low but I cannot spend hard earned money on a defective game and have all of my hard work get ruined because of a rollback that works to others benefit.

omlow

Post by omlow » Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 am

how does full screen vs windowed mode effect your internet connection

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sat May 26, 2012 4:15 am

omlow wrote:how does full screen vs windowed mode effect your internet connection
xD :roll:

High-Roller

Post by High-Roller » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
omlow wrote:how does full screen vs windowed mode effect your internet connection
xD :roll:
lol true:P and funny thing is most of genocide quit the game XD

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 am

i myself am enjoying the new solars as an invader, there was no challenge in planets that had to aim and fire at you. it's nice to see the bullets coming already for a change. drop nuking was stupid easy before and you NEVER took ANY damage.

omlow

Post by omlow » Thu May 31, 2012 9:21 am

Manilla wrote:i myself am enjoying the new solars as an invader, there was no challenge in planets that had to aim and fire at you. it's nice to see the bullets coming already for a change. drop nuking was stupid easy before and you NEVER took ANY damage.
i wouldn't mind if the solars were aiming at the warp to start off with, but implementing that by making solars more 'server side' wasn't a good idea.

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu May 31, 2012 9:32 am

i've had planets fire in the complete wrong direction for their first shot. which means they're still turning towards you, and haven't fired their first shot yet. this means that what is being descried is currently inaccurate.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 am

Manilla wrote:i've had planets fire in the complete wrong direction for their first shot. which means they're still turning towards you, and haven't fired their first shot yet. this means that what is being descried is currently inaccurate.
the first land they will fire the first shot backwards

then every other land after that they will shoot normally

it used to be so bad that when u landed, solar was already AT the warp. as omlow said, got no problem with solar being AIMED at the warp, just when theres stacks of it already when you land..

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu May 31, 2012 4:34 pm

i have yet to experience this issue, and so far i've invaded about 25 planets including a 10/120 reverse D-Tail that belonged to me before i went inactive.. and the dome on that is maybe 15 lasers distance from the warp.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm

well this is only an issue on @warp colonies. Domes 15+ lasers away from warp won't reach anyway

omlow

Post by omlow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:32 am

the problem isn't that its harder or whatever, its just that if you lag at all or if you "stick" to the side of the planet due to lag then by the time it takes you to the planet surface you've already lost a lot of shields, or died. because the server percieves you to land the moment you hit the planet and starts shooting you then, but your client stays outside stuck to the planet for a while.

its the same thing with the 'invisible solar' bug which i also have a video on, and the fact that when you have 2 players with above normal ping invading a planet, on both of their screens they see the solar shooting at the other person, while one of them takes damage - another form of the invisible solars.

also ping has a bigger effect on dodging solars, as a shot can fly straight past you, but if you were traveling the wrong way and have some ping, regardless of whether or not it hit you on your screen, you'll take the damage for it.

TL;DR game is less enjoyable because solars seen by the server can be out of sync with the solars you see on your screen. what you see may not be what you get.

High-Roller

Post by High-Roller » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 am

omlow wrote:the problem isn't that its harder or whatever, its just that if you lag at all or if you "stick" to the side of the planet due to lag then by the time it takes you to the planet surface you've already lost a lot of shields, or died. because the server percieves you to land the moment you hit the planet and starts shooting you then, but your client stays outside stuck to the planet for a while.

its the same thing with the 'invisible solar' bug which i also have a video on, and the fact that when you have 2 players with above normal ping invading a planet, on both of their screens they see the solar shooting at the other person, while one of them takes damage - another form of the invisible solars.

also ping has a bigger effect on dodging solars, as a shot can fly straight past you, but if you were traveling the wrong way and have some ping, regardless of whether or not it hit you on your screen, you'll take the damage for it.

TL;DR game is less enjoyable because solars seen by the server can be out of sync with the solars you see on your screen. what you see may not be what you get.
that happens with lasers too cause i lost 500 sheilds just coming out of the starport when ther was a laser in the system that was far away from me and it still hit me :/