Consequences of feb 3rd patch

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

LordSturm

Consequences of feb 3rd patch

Post by LordSturm » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 pm

These are the eventual consequences i believe, of the rock growth rate reduction patch.

the most easily identified one is that it will cause players to quit, however there are much larger and more damaging long term implications.

Rock planets have long been valued as the safest place to keep weapons factories, and in many cases people will almost exclusively put weapons factories on their rock planets, With the introduction of the refinery sliders any patches that require delegating more % harvest to a population growing resource OR as in the case of the 75 ore patch colonies require more metal, the first 3 resources to be abandoned in consideration to mitigating military capability loss are spice, equipment and uranium.

this patch will basically force anyone that wants their military ability on their rocks to be impacted as minimally as possible will naturally stop harvesting the 3 previously mentioned resources. This patch will cause an eventual and severe drop in the production levels of various weapons production, further stagnating an already dangerously stagnant game.

TOONCES if you are concerned with the military capability of rock planets being too powerful. I STRONGLY urge you to consider a much more common sense approach such as dropping the damage solars on ROCKS ONLY do by 5 to 10 percent.

this solution solves the problem of them being overpowered (if you actually think they are, im personally for leaving them alone) and requires NO going around to every rock planet a player owns and waiting the week it will take for population to stabalize just to find a way to remanage them, it quite possibly prevents the problem of severe cutting of weapons production because no harvest is required to be reallocated to increase metal or other resource harvest.

avitohol

Re: Consequences of feb 3rd patch

Post by avitohol » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

In all fairness this isn't that fatalist as everyone puts it. I can think of 4 patches that had a bigger impact than this.

All this will do, is make the people who aren't having fun with the game anymore quit.

I quit 3-4 weeks ago. But i can already think of alternatives and tweaks to my empire building methodology to deal with this change. My research system tends to yield mainly channel discrambling, weather production and Strip mining. All i can think of is the fact that rockies now won't produce weapons while they don't make pollution. Which means that rockies in my imaginary empire will now produce pollution. So if you have oceans and arctics then it'll be on your cleaning route.

River:

Post by River: » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree with what check said.....

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 pm

either he decided not to do it, or scaled it back enough that my 11 charisma could cover the loss/ because my rocks seem to not have lost anything, definately not 1/3 their population.