So on February 3rd....

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

So on February 3rd....

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am

Our rockies are all gonna lose 30% reproduction. That is a nice way to cut down some empires but a real kick in the face to the people that built the cols. Remember rockies are the hardest to build regarding resources.....now we are gonna get a patch that will wreck 30% of our pop, thanks a lot....thats what the game really needs. Plus all the double domes people bought are gonna turn to junk. I do not think anyone is going to be happy flying around resetting colonies for a few days. If the goal is to weaken the rocks so people can invade them easier that is great but where are the invaders going to come from?

I have a better idea, how about on February the 3rd you bang a real old school non mod server with all of the old settings, make it a set to expert and not trash the rest of the servers. You can call it Permaverse 3, the last server that actually was good and one of the last that held on until it got deleted.

Leave the built servers alone, they are populated already....... time to make a new one.

GRAWRG.

Re: So on February 3rd....

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm

yeah, hug off toonces. lots of people PAID REAL MONEY to double dome ROCKIES. rockies because they wouldnt have to check up on them, ever.

and now you're going to kill them off is people arent paying attention. what a prick move.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Yup. Real hugging awesome. like 75% of my empire is rockies? So I spent all this time building and invading a empire and now it's turning to BBQ and I have to go around and fix all of them? What the hug?

Rockies are fine

THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

30% increase population rate for VOLCANICS..

Dude you're doing BBQ backwards

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Rockies especially on no mod servers have become OP. The amount of extra resources you barge to them is completely worth it, and entirely miniscule compared to the 10/120/no pollution.Toonces never should of made rockies so obviously superior to other col types.

That being said the way to fix the rockies' imbalances isn't to make them suddenly weaker... because toonces himself created a dependency on rockies as superpowered colonies. As GRAWRG and kango said.. the colony type that most people DD'e... are rockies.

Toonces's patches created a dyanamic where rockies were the most prized col type, and people shouldn't be punished for playing the game the way toonces structured it to be.

The main two problems I see with this coming change:

1)Not fair to people who dd'd rockies, which constitute most of the dds and almost all the decent ones.

2)It seems like a very reactionary change, the kind which don't further the game at all, are ultimately nullified by another patch a couple months later, but cause handfuls of people to quit each time they've occured over the last 3 years.

a.Everyone remembers when solar damage was increased right...? then decreased several months later. Then no mod servers got the 'super' mods. How long before people complain it's too easy and toonces decided to double solar shots or something?

b. Years ago shield prices were changed from the standard $20 at 100% to a constant price of 1$... then changed again.. and again.. and again.. and every 4 months they change again, cause no one ever seems to like them.

It just seems like pissing off...everyone.. who bought dds isn't worth a reactionary change that will probably be undone when toonces cuts ore costs or doubles solar bursts when people complain in 3 months.

Toonces needs to pick a direction and go with it... if he wants to balance col types he should start by making volcs, ghs, and deserts more valuable. (toonces still thinks desert spice bonus is good, lol)

And when he does this to rockies he needs to follow up on whatever he wants to do.. because it can't be any worse than the flipping and flopping back and forth between strong and weak solars we've had over the past 3 years.

If he played the game, as in, actively played a perma for a month (playing blitz or rebangs doesn't count if he's going to be patching permas permas). Every year he seems to realize that something isn't what he intended it to be, but because he doesn't actually play that much he doesn't understand it's place in the game and what he should do to fix it. Like when he upped ore consumption to whatever it is now because he thought solars were too strong. fine. just stay the course. but then he increased solar damage...?? Then after people complained he decreased it. I estimate a new patch making cols stronger within the next 3 months....

A few months ago on GA he said he didn't realize you couldn't invade colonies in one land.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 pm

While what has been said is somewhat true just remember that Golden Age has Easy server settings like The Boundless Sea, that being said it is possible to have 8-12k population rockies with ease. Boundless Sea rocks also support high population because of the Easy server settings, not anything that Toonces did. It's been that way for years. All the other servers you are lucky if you can get a rocky to support 6k if you get good discoveries. Also rockies on the mod servers are a joke to invade. Leave GA alone, there is nothing wrong with it.

Really nothing has changed that made rockies any better, it's just the way the server was banged, I do not think that we should all be punished because it is too difficult for some to invade rocks, they have always been the cream of the crop cols to build for obvious reasons and also the hardest to build. There is no reason to destroy everyone's hard work that built up the rock cols knowing that they are good colonies in the long run. Also add that a lot are double domed and now we are going to be screwed out of REAL MONEY spent to dd them then we are essentially being stolen from. If Toonces wants to credit us back the tokens we spent to dd our rockies then maybe I may feel better about it but the way it sits he is going to piss a lot of people off.

And like I said by making the rocks easier to invade that's great but it's not like we have a 50% increase of players to actually warrant this change. If he does this change then expect people to quit.

Bang a new perma with ALL of the old settings and this problem gets solved very easy.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 pm

One more thing, anyone else that has a problem with what Toonce is about to do please PM him or /idea /bug in game to bring this to his attention before it is too late.

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Toonces, if you want to balance the planet types, then do so, bust start from the bottom up. Volcs, GHs and Deserts all need a significant buff before anything else. Rockies and to a lesser extent Mountains probably do need a slight nerf, but you've given people months and months and months to DD all the "best" planet types. I don't blame people for being upset when the planet types should have all had a once over for balancing purposes BEFORE haveing people spending money on DDs.

Ultimately, nerfing Rockies will probably improve them game. But the manner in which its being done is going to turn people off from the game. I'd suggest taking a week or two, going over every inch of game play and making a plan to change what you want to change in an order such that it has the least negative impact on the game. Had this patch been done before the DD patch, the amount of complaints you'd have gotten would have been minimal.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am

Remember remember the third of February, the rocky col treason and plot. I know of no reason why the rocky col treason should ever be forgot.

Trolled by Guy Fawkes

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am

Caia wrote:Toonces, if you want to balance the planet types, then do so, bust start from the bottom up. Volcs, GHs and Deserts all need a significant buff before anything else. Rockies and to a lesser extent Mountains probably do need a slight nerf, but you've given people months and months and months to DD all the "best" planet types. I don't blame people for being upset when the planet types should have all had a once over for balancing purposes BEFORE haveing people spending money on DDs.

Ultimately, nerfing Rockies will probably improve them game. But the manner in which its being done is going to turn people off from the game. I'd suggest taking a week or two, going over every inch of game play and making a plan to change what you want to change in an order such that it has the least negative impact on the game. Had this patch been done before the DD patch, the amount of complaints you'd have gotten would have been minimal.
QFT

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 am

This is just another screwd up idea by toonces

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:48 am

gg sge.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:55 am

Well I've already stopped invading and building, there's no point with this bull crap rocky nerf. If he actually goes through with this I will be for sure quitting and moving on to another game. I'm sure lots of other people will too.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 am

Toonces, why would you implement something that your entire player base strongly rejects?

Do you hate us all?

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:03 am

I will also be quiting if this rocky patch is implented.

Crimson King

Post by Crimson King » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 am

The energy for thrusting "adjustment", which is already working, almost made me lose igs lots of times and actually made me lose a lot of fuel with /warps since you suddenly stop moving while invading.And the patch itself sucks, doesnt matter if its fixed.
If the rocky patch is implemented Im another player and active token buyer quitting.

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:35 am

I'm all for radical changes. Go for it.

Then again, like I care if most of the above's empires are ripped to shreds.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 am

Ya add me to the list of quitting if this happens, the game finally got good and was heading in a positive direction. If the rockies all get hugged then that's it, I can't keep playing a game that the rules change every other week.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:01 pm

add me to the list for staying through another patch! :lol:

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 am

There is no such thing as winning Starport Galactic Empires. Good game gentlemen.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:56 am

BardockSGE wrote:There is no such thing as winning Starport Galactic Empires. Good game gentlemen.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 am

BardockSGE wrote:There is no such thing as winning Starport Galactic Empires. Good game gentlemen.
I don't think anyone said anything about winning

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 am

leave the fu cking rockys alone. toonces says they are oped, BUT ROCKYS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THAT ONE PLANET THAT WILL BY DEFAULT BE 10/120 solars! And with good research no pollution! leave them the hell alone rockys are PERFECT the way they are.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 am

This is sadly the only response i can make to this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrkgBVNuFcQ

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 am

avitohol wrote:This is sadly the only response i can make to this thread

lol

sooooo let's move this discussion onto something else.. like.. does anyone know of any other games to play? Diablo 3 is coming out soon..

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:25 am

avitohol wrote:This is sadly the only response i can make to this thread

:lol:

808gage

Post by 808gage » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

I hear space rambles is getting up there in it's development...

I'm going to quit if this patch is implemented. I've quit before, but this time I'm gone. The admins over at space rambles seem to know what's going on... clearly toonces needs some competition to bring him back to reality. >.>

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Could be worse ... he could be making Pollution a thing of the Past.
To be honest i was trying to think of one thing that they could mess up in the next few months - but have failed to think of anything else worth screwing with. :lol:
Maybe the Graphics are too " Crisp" and require a rethink.
Take into consideration the 20 minutes it takes to kill a pod now - *sighs - must admit .. Far more important adjustments should be taking priority. :wink:

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm

it is a terrible idea as outlined in my consequences thread that consideres the full scope of this patch's implications, and suggests a more common sense approach to fixing the percieved problem of rocks military capability.

i cannot figure out why toonces keeps taking the nerf route that always pisses off players, when the same eventual solution can be derived from a buff to something else, which in turn makes a player happy.

taking something away with no percieved reduction in a price, is almost always a negative experience, but providing an additional benifit with no increase in cost is almost always a positive. It is basic business 101

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 pm

This is why my reply was so awesome.

There's no point to mature summary. Or to outline the effectiveness of the games future. This has been done in years past. Back when the forum was populated by a large number of intelligent and capable people. not saying there aren't any left. Just saying there where a hell of a lot more before. And they couldn't even reach toonces.

So in all fairness all i have to say to people who still bother with actually trying to voice their opinions:

- Move on to another game. You'll find that the break is a good thing.

- Just let their empires die. No amount of money spent on a game can equate to the time you lose not enjoying something. Defeats the point of actually using money.

Toonces will find other players for the game to fill the gap. Most of the people on this forum are such players, when we all said the game was dying. Turn this game into a 2-4 week thing every year, when your corp unites and you hand out beating to the newbs of tomorrow. You'll enjoy and they will enjoy it.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 am

avitohol wrote:This is why my reply was so awesome.

There's no point to mature summary. Or to outline the effectiveness of the games future. This has been done in years past. Back when the forum was populated by a large number of intelligent and capable people. not saying there aren't any left. Just saying there where a hell of a lot more before. And they couldn't even reach toonces.

So in all fairness all i have to say to people who still bother with actually trying to voice their opinions:

- Move on to another game. You'll find that the break is a good thing.

- Just let their empires die. No amount of money spent on a game can equate to the time you lose not enjoying something. Defeats the point of actually using money.

Toonces will find other players for the game to fill the gap. Most of the people on this forum are such players, when we all said the game was dying. Turn this game into a 2-4 week thing every year, when your corp unites and you hand out beating to the newbs of tomorrow. You'll enjoy and they will enjoy it.
I'm beginning to realize this too.

Toonces is like a blind, deaf donkey about to go off a cliff: you can't convince him to stop walking (he can't hear you), but if you dangle a carrot the other way he will start coming back to safety.

He's not going to want to sift through page after page of long opinions. The few times he listens to players are when their demands are simple, easy to implement, and have a benefit for him. Case and point: Toonces making RoP for Kasonia and FW for Johnnyc - he thought it'd make people happy, it was easy to do, and he'd make money from token sales.

Any suggestions we make nowadays would have to be short, sweet, and simple if we want even a remote chance of them being heard. And it's still a big if.