So on February 3rd....

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

JesusRocks765

Re: So on February 3rd....

Post by JesusRocks765 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am

Saber-Fury wrote:Toonces is like a blind, deaf donkey about to go off a cliff: you can't convince him to stop walking (he can't hear you)
Perfect analogy, and players who still put up with the game (Not having fun anymore, but tolerating) are riding the donkey.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 am

JesusRocks765 wrote:
Saber-Fury wrote:Toonces is like a blind, deaf donkey about to go off a cliff: you can't convince him to stop walking (he can't hear you)
Perfect analogy, and players who still put up with the game (Not having fun anymore, but tolerating) are riding the donkey.

Dont compare the democratic symbol to toonces.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 am

An @ss is an @ss either way you shake it

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
JesusRocks765 wrote:

Dont compare the democratic symbol to toonces.
What? I was exteding PJ's analogy - what does democracy have to do with this?

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 am

Your dumb donkey fault for hopping on a donkey walking towards a cliff...

omlow

Post by omlow » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

i agree with most of the points raised, and i too will sadly leave if this happens.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Noob: An idiot who cries and makes no attempt to get better, while whining every time someone makes their life even marginally harder in a video game and constantly begging for credits from people that actually made them the normal way
Vet: An idiot who, while skilled, whines constantly about how the game is too easy, then threatens to leave every times they get their wish, without even bothering to test out the new change

That definition of vet only seems to fit for this game, and it's pathetic how close it is to noob

Major

Post by Major » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

invaderzim wrote:Noob: An idiot who cries and makes no attempt to get better, while whining every time someone makes their life even marginally harder in a video game and constantly begging for credits from people that actually made them the normal way
Vet: An idiot who, while skilled, whines constantly about how the game is too easy, then threatens to leave every times they get their wish, without even bothering to test out the new change

That definition of vet only seems to fit for this game, and it's pathetic how close it is to noob
Shut the hug up.

Vets are allowed to complain and I love you man! as much as they want to about I love puppies patches, especially ones that push other veterans away from the game,. If you think that's noobish, then eat BBQ and die.

Lets all remember what makes starport fun above everything; the community we get to play with and against. And when retarded patches are released that push people away from the game, lets I love you man! and moan about it as much as we like to. We're being ignored anyway so it's not like it matters, right?

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 am

Major wrote:Image
Ironically, the people using SGE for free, without buying any tokens and thus without buying Double Domes, will be hurt the least, but the players who actually give money to the game will be inconvenienced greatly.

Major

Post by Major » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 am

agreed

i thought this point after posting and i was comforted by my infrequent token purchases for ships/fuel, more toward the flavor of donation and never once a DD, via player-trade or ad-club

I disagreed with buying anything supposed to be permanent in this game knowing its history, and common sense. This for me made sense financially.

Remember kids. You're not customers. You are butt-hurt-beta-testers making donations to a developer with very little transparency as to the profits, or lack of.

For all I know SGE is a poncy for the Romney super-pac.

We've been through all this time and again. I stand by my previous random Img.

(love ya Pj)

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am

It is a good pic. But my opinion is that it isnt representive of the sge dynamic: while players have the option to make purchases, the game doesn't have the option of existing without said donations. If sge had subscriptions or toonces was rich, I could see how there'd be less room for complaint. But it's not like that. Toonces is like a politician who just won office about to go against the interests of the donors that made his election possible. If it was bill gates then he could say screw them. But toonces "campaign" wouldn't have won without them - token purchases need to be held in at least some level of deference cause the game can't run without em either. Is screwing buyers within toonces rights based on his "donation" model? Yep. But it's a well documented way to lose money/support rather quickly.

I know what you and your pic mean about those great lil sites (or big in the case of wikipedia) that provide a cool service for free. And it probably applies for most other online games. But I think sge is different.

Love

PJ

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:25 am

I think I've said it enough, but perhaps repetition will get my message out and heard..

less usable/build able/desirable colonies in a galaxy = more space between colonized planets

Which means, less conflict

which means, no defined area for an empire (people love their own section of the map, it keeps me going and I'm sure other empire owners)

which means, less options for growing, expanding.. Less tokens sales.. more people quitting..

10 shot 120's aren't even hard to take.. You can do pretty well anything solo, and with a partner I'm pretty sure anything is takeable without dying, omitting double domes...

What's the point in making rockies weak? What is there to gain? Honest to god Toonces how will this BETTER your game? Do you ever have any answers to this?

If you're deleting servers because they take up space and apparently cost you more money, why don't you make every colony type desirable so you have a more concentrated player base instead of having two corporations owning a whole server?

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 am

Im gonna assume that the fact that toonces hasn't even looked at this thread means he doesn't care.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:06 am

Shedding some sort of light on the topic...

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 am

wow.... thats all i have to say to that

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 am

I think toonces brain is so cooked on weed that it is not possible for him to make any rationale decisions/changes to the game. Obviously he has no fuckin idea how this game works, what good solars are. All he wants to do is go against what works well, screw something up, patch it back...screw something up, patch it back.

Any real game has a team of trusted players that report back to the dev and make suggestions as to what the community wants. I'm sorry toonces but you don't have a god damned clue how your game works let alone actually play it. You do not understand what fundamentally made the game fun and what makes the game sucks. 10/120 solars are a challenge to most players, the older ones find it easy but the new players need practice. Gloins been playing since what...day one and you don't take his opinion seriously? I think he understands the game a hell of a lot better then you ever will.

The best thing you can do toonce is shut the game down for a month, take a real hard look at what is going on and pick a direction that you want to go with this game. The path you have been on the last few years has destroyed your own creation. Stop being a hugging noob and accept that you have no clue what is good for this game. If all you care about is how much money you make then mark my words, keep these garbage patches up and you won't have anyone left to I love you man! and moan about the game.
You have the last of the active vets on the forums disgusted enough that they will quit.....can't you see the writing on the wall? The handful of players that are left are going to quit your game. I hope this is what you want because since this idea of yours came to light 3/4 of the players of this game haven't been playing. The servers are a ghost town. Simple cause and Effect.....oh well anyways toonce....take your ball and go home. But realize this, you once had something very special here........and the parties almost over.

The players didn't ruin this game, the dev did that one all by himself.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 am

Toonces, do not do this.

By lowering the only militarily desirable colony you make invading even more long and tedious than it actually is because the only purpose for having rockys is for a 'military' stronghold. You will absolutely ruin what shed of balance is left in sge.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40 pm

1 shot solars and taking 100 cols in a night are fun. 10/120's are nothing but a grind. People just sit back and let their cols do all the work rather than actively defend them anymore.

Screw invading, fighting in space and massive space battles are 100 times better than invading. I think even Duece might come out of the closet on this.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

what it comes down to is whether the developers understand how whatever changes they make impact the game. Whether toonces is baked or not it's obvious he's lied about "actually playing his game."

From gloins screenies it's obvious that toonces has no idea how invading and building should be balanced. when he finds out 1 new thing he didn't know, he then thinks he knows everything, screws up a patch, then realizes there is yet another aspect he does not know.. and so on.

Almost all successful online games have people in the creative/developmental team who actually understand the feel of the game and how things work in it. They are the bridge between the coders and the players. With toonces' staff now just... him... he really needed a beta server a long time ago... it doesn't even sound like a hard thing to do.. so he should not be surprised that he keeps churning out unfavorable patches when he is clearly missing an important piece of his developmental team - people who test the game and understand how it's played.

Major

Post by Major » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Saber-Fury wrote:what it comes down to is whether the developers understand how whatever changes they make impact the game. Whether toonces is baked or not it's obvious he's lied about "actually playing his game."

From gloins screenies it's obvious that toonces has no idea how invading and building should be balanced. when he finds out 1 new thing he didn't know, he then thinks he knows everything, screws up a patch, then realizes there is yet another aspect he does not know.. and so on.

Almost all successful online games have people in the creative/developmental team who actually understand the feel of the game and how things work in it. They are the bridge between the coders and the players. With toonces' staff now just... him... he really needed a beta server a long time ago... it doesn't even sound like a hard thing to do.. so he should not be surprised that he keeps churning out unfavorable patches when he is clearly missing an important piece of his developmental team - people who test the game and understand how it's played.
Wasn't boundless supposed to be the test server?

Why wasn't this nonsense tried out there and await player response?

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Toonces: "Good for Builders"

Not even, how would you like one person destroying all your nukes? Toonces, you really don't understand that most of your patches are bad for everyone and not just one side of the builder/invader spectrum.

Dont do it, by weakening rockys (nuke cols) it makes them more cappable, and then by destroying all the weapons, they get trashed.

DONT DO IT

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I think what's most important is to try and remember to give him constructive criticism. We shouldn't run him into the ground because he has a very tough job trying to meet everyone expectations. If I were him, I'd literally go insane.

808gage

Post by 808gage » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 am

It's very hard to stay constructive when you feel ignored and abused...

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:44 pm

i learned 2 things from that screenshot.

first and foremost mac10 is once again proving to the wold his status as biggest a$$ kisser in the game and
second toonces is a pretty remarkable developer.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Lol....I love the bitches who support this as a way of making the game more accessable. Almost everyone here has taken a 10-120 rocky DD ratmaze or godfinger or shotty AT LEAST once, when the solar damage was nominal and shot count high and metal costs a mere 25 ore/burst. You should be making BBQ harder, that was the fun part. Invading and fighting were the best parts of this game. Now there is no more "epic", no more amazing caps, no greatness nor glory.

that is what I once played the game for. for teh lulz of success. Now it is all meaningless.

Anyone wanna try out STO with me? Since it became F2P i'm thinking of trying it out. Lot of cool people quitting it seems, might as well capitalize on some of that, maybe get a fleet together.

Caia

Post by Caia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:08 am

[quote]

Anyone wanna try out STO with me? Since it became F2P i'm thinking of trying it out. Lot of cool people quitting it seems, might as well capitalize on some of that, maybe get a fleet together.[quote]

Don't. Even as a F2P game, it costs too much.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 am

I might try STO, but time isn;t something I have in abundance.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:55 am

Caia wrote:

Anyone wanna try out STO with me? Since it became F2P i'm thinking of trying it out. Lot of cool people quitting it seems, might as well capitalize on some of that, maybe get a fleet together.

Don't. Even as a F2P game, it costs too much.
What...timewise? Or is it jsut massively mined for money via special items and BBQ available for purchase?

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:56 am

How many gigabytes is it?