Yay
77%
Nay
23%

Total votes: 13

BarbaraWalters

Gloins Wicked Idea

Post by BarbaraWalters » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Whenever the next new perma is banging, I think it would be cool to have these features.

2% pollution cap (would mean zounds would be top BBQ, lots of followers and experience)
No Equipment/Uranium consumption for building nukes/turrets (more weapon factories on all colonies = more war and more fun)
This would be a MOD server because 400 cargo holds is boss. Easier to build = fun server, more colonies.
Every colony would make a minimum of 10k credits an hour once out of U.N protection (lots of money to go around for invasion)

I think this would attract a lot of attention. You would only have to clean once every 25 days and there would be tons of nukes/lasers. This would be a war-style server with lots of activity.

Mel'Kaven

Re: Gloins Wicked Idea

Post by Mel'Kaven » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm

BarbaraWalters wrote:Whenever the next new perma is banging, I think it would be cool to have these features.

2% pollution cap (would mean zounds would be top BBQ, lots of followers and experience)
No Equipment/Uranium consumption for building nukes/turrets (more weapon factories on all colonies = more war and more fun)
This would be a MOD server because 400 cargo holds is boss. Easier to build = fun server, more colonies.
Every colony would make a minimum of 10k credits an hour once out of U.N protection (lots of money to go around for invasion)

I think this would attract a lot of attention. You would only have to clean once every 25 days and there would be tons of nukes/lasers. This would be a war-style server with lots of activity.
As long as the server is smallish (like IGH size), I agree.

The problem I see though is one corp can rule the hug out of the server quickly and not have to manage themselves, so no penalty for expansion

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

how about ports get supplied with twice as many negs?

i dont know what IGH's map looks like, but i know smaller maps are easy to hold down. but with a decent amount of negs in port, this shouldnt be a problem.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am

this is a great idea. but i think the server should be bigger for bigger corps to war.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

awesomepebble wrote:this is a great idea. but i think the server should be bigger for bigger corps to war.
I agree. It would have to be a big map. One corporation won't rule the server. That just won't happen. It will be too active for that. I truly believe this would bring back old players and put the spark back in starport.

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 am

puke on mods, puke on port negs.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 am

Dark.Cloud wrote:puke on mods, puke on port negs.
Mod's are fine once you get used to them. I like it how you can buy 8 cargo bulkheads and have 400 resource holds. Also you can mod up according to what best suits your artifacts.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 am

Sounds good, I would return for a bit to check things out if this was added. Maybe stay :0

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 pm

While we are at it, may as well delete research lab...

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:58 pm

CrazyChef wrote:While we are at it, may as well delete research lab...
Yes I know I shouldn't have posted in the tavern but atleast it gets viewed here.

Also I forgot to mention - perhaps this server would have a slow fuel regen rate to compensate for the lack of cleaning you'd have to do.

Basically the way I look at this server is like Classic Homeworlds, it was a huge hit when it banged and Classic's was the last great perma to bang in the past however many years. Why is that? Because of the reduced pollution, and having large empire's was much easier and sustainable.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I would leave the fuel regen at a normal, non nerfed rate. The way I see it is, the less fuel you have, the less of an incentive to chase invaders down, destroy them, and defend your holdings. Some of the best fighting ive had came from defending my colonies or fighting off defenders.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Yay, except the mod part.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm

BardockSGE wrote:Yay, except the mod part.
I'm not sure why people are against mods, they're definitely useful for building, and they give you more options for invading.

another note to add, with the 10k credit minimum per hour on colonies you could easily use galactic janitors to clean ALL your colonies instead of only ones which produce credits. (10k minimum = 240k creds/day ... 2% pollution = 200k per day )

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 am

BarbaraWalters wrote:
BardockSGE wrote:Yay, except the mod part.
I'm not sure why people are against mods, they're definitely useful for building, and they give you more options for invading.

another note to add, with the 10k credit minimum per hour on colonies you could easily use galactic janitors to clean ALL your colonies instead of only ones which produce credits. (10k minimum = 240k creds/day ... 2% pollution = 200k per day )

Because mods are stupid, fighting sucks with mods....mods keep having to be changed for the task like building, invading, fighting...etc. If Toonce made it so we could buy mods and be able to switch a mod set back and forth then I would say keep them but at the moment it is too much of a hassle to go to a starbase and change mods.

But remember this, we do not need anymore new servers.....we need more players. As far as players coming back i doubt that, GA is the closest thing to the old game and there are not anymore old players coming back for that server. Besides even if some players came back it is not worth it to create a new server just for the 10 old players that *might* come back.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 am

gloin, mods were too much of a good thing, especially in terms of invading. We traded fun, skill-based fights with nukes, torps, etc for gay weapon/flight mod spam. Mods should be limited to a handful of permas and blitz. Perhaps for your theoretical server there could be a flat bonus of +200 cargo holds per ship?

as angry stated... the problem here is lack of players. people aren't coming to the game. Different types of servers, whether they were 'huge,' like Herc, RoP, DMJ, had FoW like FW, or expanded like Orion, all failed. Not because they were bad ideas - but there aren't enough players to populate them all and make them competitive, so if you keep making servers, the player base gets stretched thin.

this server idea won't suddenly make people come back - simply because none of the previous servers created with this intent have worked.

the game needs more players. but toonces doesn't see it that way. I heard from someone, and I believe toonces even wrote it in a post - he doesn't feel that competition is an issue that needs to be addressed. He makes more money from the stagnant noob empires than he did from before, apparently - and honestly for a guy whose now managing this game alone, it's understandable that if he's making money, he doesn't want to risk trying to change anything up now that he doesn't have a team anymore. But it is what it is, and unfortunately, the competiton was why the game was so great before. That's why there were memorable wars and corps 5+ years ago that people reminisce about. In the past 3 years there's been random corps of noobs with cute coordinated names invading dead servers. Until competition is restored, the tweaks, patches, and new servers won't mean a damn thing.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 pm

What PJ said,,,,,,,,,,,not enough players = no fun. Even if you decide to start a server and build up a empire it soon becomes boring due to the lack of competition.

This game was slowing down slightly before the mods came out, with the mod patch it was the most destructive thing this game has ever seen in terms of players quitting. Looking back it hardly seems like it was worth it.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Builders 5+ years ago never needed 400 cargo holds inorder to be able to mass build an empire. Did they? Nah.

I say roll your sleeves up and deal with only 160-200 cargos. If this game needs to be quicker paced at anything at all, it's not building.

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:37 pm

BardockSGE wrote:Builders 5+ years ago never needed 400 cargo holds inorder to be able to mass build an empire. Did they? Nah.

I say roll your sleeves up and deal with only 160-200 cargos. If this game needs to be quicker paced at anything at all, it's not building.
builders 5+ years ago didn't have to deal with resource consumption/hr... my idea behind it is to take out some of the tedious in building.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:43 am

You don't need mods to give players 400 holds...

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 am

inevamis wrote:You don't need mods to give players 400 holds...
true, but it might be easier for Toonces to simply make it a mod server. I think to change the amount of cargo holds it would effect all servers.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 am

BarbaraWalters wrote:
inevamis wrote:You don't need mods to give players 400 holds...
true, but it might be easier for Toonces to simply make it a mod server. I think to change the amount of cargo holds it would effect all servers.

We have 2 no-mod servers and the rest are mod servers. if anything create a new, no-mod server. Only do this if the game becomes active again.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 am

i do agree that mods make building funner, and a bigger server size would mean bigger corps there, and bigger corps mean bigger activity

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 am

I like this idea, but why create a new server when toonces can modify an already existing one?

S1lver

Post by S1lver » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 am

BarbaraWalters wrote:Whenever the next new perma is banging, I think it would be cool to have these features.

just cut the resources in half that it takes to build the stuff on the col. Doing that would also make it so more the 1/4 of the server is built.

Voltage

Post by Voltage » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:49 am

JesusRocks765 wrote:I like this idea, but why create a new server when toonces can modify an already existing one?
A new server to test the idea maybe?

Major

Post by Major » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Voltage wrote:
JesusRocks765 wrote:I like this idea, but why create a new server when toonces can modify an already existing one?
A new server to test the idea maybe?
Boundless sea IS/WAS the test server.

(caught you talking to yourself again)