Dead Server idea

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Luna

Dead Server idea

Post by Luna » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 am

I was thinking of a use for dead servers. Perhaps Toonces could keep one server. Eliminate ownership of all colonies. Remove ranks and just have a listing of players on that server. No pollution or dying colonies. Make population stable, and keep solar at 5-10 shots. Let people have unlimited shields, and let ships and weapons cost nothing. Stock colonies with nukes, and defenses so you can redefend and try again. In effect use the server as a learning tool.

If you don't have to replace your ship, and you don't have to spend money to learn, then people could aquire skills on this server that would carry them through to other servers. Invading would be learned by trial and error without penalty. No more steep learning curve. You could try to invade a colony 50 times and fail or succeed. If you need revenue for this server have it cost a tourney point to participate. SGE has always had a steep leaning curve and after solar shots went to 10 it became even more difficult for new players to get up to speed. This would help keep new players interested and allow everyone to perfect skills needed to succeed.

What does everyone think?

mArImBa

Re: Dead Server idea

Post by mArImBa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:55 am

Sounds like a great idea.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

This sounds insane. But a good type of insane. Only problem is that dead servers will become active servers, and active servers dead servers!!

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 am

Luna, I wish you were a developer, I bet SGE population would double.

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am

JesusRocks765 wrote:Luna, I wish you were a developer, I bet SGE population would double.

*Hint* I would greatly benifit from a server like this. I suck at pretty much everything anymore. The last time I had any measure of success at invading I belonged to a Mega Corporation with tons of money, and solar was one shot. I proably have captured roughly 20 planets total since 2006. I'm horribly uncoordinated, can't seem to fly around corners or even straight for that matter. Forget planets with complicated maze patterns to get to the dome, or half the new layouts. The solar always caused me to panic, and I could never think fast enough to react to what needed to be done. By the time I figured out the path to take and how to do it I'd died 10 times over, and still had to take out nearly every defense to manage a cap. This would give me and many other players an opportunity to LEARN without years of frustration.

I can see this leveling the playing field for many players. Lets face it half the new people quit because they can't pick up the skills needed fast enough to compete. They run out of energy, and money long before they're actually competitive. Many of the really good players learned when solar was one shot, and have honed their skills since then. I pity those that had to jump in with some of the horrid new layouts, and pounding 10 shot solar, and try to be successful. This just seems more logical since we don't have many actual learning tools for SGE.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 pm

great idea, needs to be altered somehow though. there needs to be a way to keep the practice server from becoming the main server. maybe you can only hold one planet at a time? that way it's purely practice, and people dont end up playing there just so they can non-stop easy invade.

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 am

Very good idea.

Perhaps capping the number of players allowed online at one time? E.G Max 10 people at once?

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

The basic concept is to enable people to learn. It could be tweaked in whatever way is needed to keep it from being a replacement server. A time limit per day or a limit of some sort would probably be in order to keep people moving along and not just invading constantly. No idea how to keep those with skills off the server so those without skills could learn. Observer mode would be handy so newbies could actually watch invasions and learn what works and what doesn't.

I'd love input on how this could work and what you feel would need to happen to keep it from taking away the playing element on other servers. Basically we need a "invading for dummies" server to assist people until their comforatable with their skill level.

mArImBa

Post by mArImBa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 am

Daily rollbacks?

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 am

Rollbacks could reset the planets that had been invaded. Good idea. We need more ways to keep it from becoming a replacement server for active perms. No rank would keep people from worrying about whose number one. All players would just be listed with no stats, just in the order they joined the server or in the order they played that day. My only concern would be taking away from the real servers.

Major

Post by Major » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:11 am

Luna: Name me an active server.

Missionary

Post by Missionary » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

Name me a server!

Chet

Post by Chet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:08 am

sounds like a fun idea.. eliminate boring bull BBQ to invade

angelizer

Post by angelizer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 am

I like this idea a lot. its not only helpful for new players but old ones as well. It will result in a more skilled player base which means more competition and more fun. It can also act as a test server for Toonces crazy ideas.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 am

angelizer wrote:I like this idea a lot. its not only helpful for new players but old ones as well. It will result in a more skilled player base which means more competition and more fun. It can also act as a test server for Toonces crazy ideas.
angel!!!! whats up!!!

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I don't play any server currently, and haven't since Classic Homeworlds was deleted. I couldn't give a name of an active server unless I logged in daily and actually knew who plays what. Sorry, I couldn't actually answer the question.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 am

maybe he could just have pollution go down for older servers?

Faint

Post by Faint » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:44 pm

he needs to keep new players away from the mainstream players. Nobody has patience for them..so i agree with this...give them something to not need to work for but to practice.