Duece's 100,000 exp cap

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

inevamis

Re: Duece's 100,000 exp cap

Post by inevamis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:05 am

inevamis wrote:I think the death penalty was too harsh.. and it did cause people to quit. A new player could spend weeks building up exp only to lose it in seconds to some vets with nukes.

I think the best solution is to create a scale. Make it so you lose a low percentage until you have say 1,000,000 exp. This will protect newbs. Make it slightly higher from 1,000,000 to 5,000,000 because now you have players that slightly know what they are doing. Than make it higher from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000. Than make is slightly higher from 10,000,000+ however cap it at like 5,000,000.
This is kind of a happy medium, no?

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:58 am

duece wrote:But even on active servers the problem is the same. In a corp, whoever fights the least, invades the least, or is least active, will have the most exp. My point about Luna was that only a non-fighter can make it that far. And the server has to die... that's true as well. But its not like she was the last to gain a super-high score.. actually Thorin and I were giving her kills to help her gain it faster and because we were going to just lose it all invading. It would've been harder for her to get that far in the new system.

This won't do anything except make the rankings page more accurately reflect who has been most successful on that server. Instead of before it being a combination of being good at building and at not taking risk.

The only reason you've offered for why the old system is better was that it was fun to make people lose exp even though exp didn't matter.
Exp means nothing in a perma rankings wise. But to many it is bragging rights, a source of income selling deaths for tokens and respect from other players. Massive exp is earned by creating huge empires, nothing wrong with that if you work for it then you deserve the exp bonus. Many other reasons exist as well. When the game was more active it was rare to see servers with more then 150million exp in the #1 spot. These days because nobody plays anymore we have a massive increase in server wide exp

Don't tell me that if you died then lost 100million exp it wouldn't sting a bit. Might make you think twice about doing something stupid the next time.

Like D-Tox said this patch is enough to make us throw up. Lets be honest, the majority of the community does not support this change. As usual our dev continues to make adjustments to the game knowing full well that it will give just another reason for players to quit.

I've said this so many times but will say it again, Fix the game and get NEW players here. Why is it that the minority of the players ruin a game that we all have enjoyed for years. Especially during the Champs....thats basically spitting in the face of players that PAID to play the champs.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:05 am

i know this is an important topic, but i have to point out to Jr that SGE FORUMS is not a place to insult someone who PLAYS SGE A LOT. if a player "lives" on sge, all the more reason for him to be here, giving his opinion...

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:27 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:It takes the satisfaction away from killing a high exp player, it will keep the 2011 Champs legit this year, no more of the last minute kills to get a friend a easy cup.

Personally I'd like to drop a deuce on deuce's idea. It will not help anything whatsoever other then the champs.

How does this patch make Starport a better game to play?
Isn't the point of PK Champs is that you can kill and gain xp? If you want no PK go play PAX

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 am

CrazyChef wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:It takes the satisfaction away from killing a high exp player, it will keep the 2011 Champs legit this year, no more of the last minute kills to get a friend a easy cup.

Personally I'd like to drop a deuce on deuce's idea. It will not help anything whatsoever other then the champs.

How does this patch make Starport a better game to play?
Isn't the point of PK Champs is that you can kill and gain xp? If you want no PK go play PAX

Having the exp cap prevents the cheap wins that happen every single year on the Champs. It's been a monopoly for the same people for years, instead of being decided who gets cups prior to the end of Champs this will make it a level playing field for someone who works hard. The last 10 minutes of the Champs always has the same conclusion, a player gets robbed of a cup by a group that thinks they can control a competition.

Not this year..................

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:38 pm

inevamis wrote:I think the death penalty was too harsh.. and it did cause people to quit. A new player could spend weeks building up exp only to lose it in seconds to some vets with nukes.

I think the best solution is to create a scale. Make it so you lose a low percentage until you have say 1,000,000 exp. This will protect newbs. Make it slightly higher from 1,000,000 to 5,000,000 because now you have players that slightly know what they are doing. Than make it higher from 5,000,000 to 10,000,000. Than make is slightly higher from 10,000,000+ however cap it at like 5,000,000.
I think this is a pretty good idea, I remember when I FIRST started ( oh god 5-6 years ago? ) when 10mil was the cap and people with 9,997,980 experience would only lose 50 experience for dying.. it kind of reminds me of this, I think it's a step in the right direction so people who have lots of experience don't have to worry so much about dying and losing a substantial amount of experience, ESPECIALLY on big bangs/IGH etc

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 am

Drifter101 wrote:25% xp loss for dying was too harsh, as fighter/invaders plummet down the rankings which become dominated by builders and inactives as deuce said. HOwever, the 100k cap is too low, infact there shouldnt be a cap at all, otherwise someone with 100mill xp is untouchable and will NEVER drop down teh rankings even if you kill them 10 times. Just make xp loss purely a % and reduce it even further down to 10% xp loss per death, so a sort of middleground between old and new system.

Also so that invaders can make up the xp they lose from dying, there should be more xp when you cap a colony. BUT when you cap a colony the owner should LOSE some xp perhaps? This would negate possible exploits where lame people could swap colonies back and forth for xp.

Also there should be some kind of inactivty penatly or something, so if you dont play for bit your colonies will start to yield less xp, or maybe if you arent on for a week or more youll actually start losing xp gradually..
Agreed with 10% exp loss. I think this is fair.

Either that or how about this?

15% when shot down by a player and 10% when shot down by defenses. This way we can have it so players still get some satisfaction from pvp and shooting someone down but will keep invading practical at all experience levels.

duece

Post by duece » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:27 am

So.. some tweaks I think might be helpful.

-Raise the cap for deaths to other players to 2.5 million.
-If a currently running perma ends, give the trophies based on monthly rank. With the new system, people in the lead now have an insurmountable head start. But for any server that bangs after this point, give it out based on the total exp. P5 is an exception to this.

The rationale is a person should be able to gain exp from invading if they're good at it and combat should have more impact. The point about trophies has to be in there because without it, all existing permas are basically decided. The alternative would be to 0 out everyone's current exp, which I think would be much more unpopular.

I recognize that people who just want to go back won't like this either, but I think with these changes the new system is better than the old.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:53 am

Funny how all the mediocre Invaders/Fighters all seem to think this is a great idea while the people that actually know how to Fight/Invade think it's a stupid idea for all the servers.

Do it on IGH and thats it. Don't sh1t on the rest of us that are perfectly happy with the way exp has been handled for the past 4-5 years.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 am

ive never disagreed with a patch more. toonces you killed the game. look at blitz, not 1 game all day.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 am

I think the cap can be raised beyond 100k on permas and/or player to player kills. Something to think about. Maybe up to 250k, or up to 1 mil if the person has over 20 mil exp or something.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Toonces wrote:I think the cap can be raised beyond 100k on permas and/or player to player kills. Something to think about. Maybe up to 250k, or up to 1 mil if the person has over 20 mil exp or something.
This could work.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 am

Toonces wrote:I think the cap can be raised beyond 100k on permas and/or player to player kills. Something to think about. Maybe up to 250k, or up to 1 mil if the person has over 20 mil exp or something.
at least up the exp lost from player kills to 10%

mArImBa

Post by mArImBa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Let's remove exp gained for killing npc's too. This game has to be just about followers, no exp from npc's or haggling either. And how hard is it to find a starport? Come on, no exp for those too. And even better, 1 exp point per follower per hour. And remove total and monthly, we should rank us our hourly so we know who is the best.

Major

Post by Major » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:05 pm

mArImBa wrote:Let's remove exp gained for killing npc's too. This game has to be just about followers, no exp from npc's or haggling either. And how hard is it to find a starport? Come on, no exp for those too. And even better, 1 exp point per follower per hour. And remove total and monthly, we should rank us our hourly so we know who is the best.
this is sarcastic right?

mArImBa

Post by mArImBa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Even better yet, as you with no or just a hint of exp on permas have stated, exp means nothing on pemas, Let's remove exp totally, no more exp from anything. Let's get rid of exp if that bothers you kids so much. No more exp. Just your followers. Or: if you die you lose 1/4th of your dear followers. Let's make followers matter!

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 am

Are you on coke?

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 pm

wow I can't believe this pointless thread blew up. Well, I guess it is important in rebangs though.

Don't chastise me if it has been mentioned (too long didn't read), but;

why not have an xp loss cap apply only to deaths to defenses and be determined on a per server basis (rebangs have smaller caps) and keep standard player kills at 1/4 xp?

this will make solar bumping-up less annoying and faggy, prevent the recap-willies, keep invading rewarding by removing a penalty for creative attempts (fuel and cash costs from reshipping are enough of a penalty IMO), keep player killing rewarding, but my personal favorite is it will make laser spamming systems before fights a hell of a lot less attractive if you want xp. Bringing back some honor ftw!

plus flight spamming will go down accordingly. I flight spam when I know ill be going into a lasered system outnumbered. I can live without flight spamming and being outnumbered (dependent on skill of course), provided there are no gay lasers. this mentality of needing flights to counter lasers is fairly pervasive. Removing some motivation for that would be beneficial.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 am

Shameless double-post I know, but can I get some feedback on this? Toonces? Guys?

duece

Post by duece » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:12 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:wow I can't believe this pointless thread blew up. Well, I guess it is important in rebangs though.

Don't chastise me if it has been mentioned (too long didn't read), but;

why not have an xp loss cap apply only to deaths to defenses and be determined on a per server basis (rebangs have smaller caps) and keep standard player kills at 1/4 xp?

this will make solar bumping-up less annoying and faggy, prevent the recap-willies, keep invading rewarding by removing a penalty for creative attempts (fuel and cash costs from reshipping are enough of a penalty IMO), keep player killing rewarding, but my personal favorite is it will make laser spamming systems before fights a hell of a lot less attractive if you want xp. Bringing back some honor ftw!

plus flight spamming will go down accordingly. I flight spam when I know ill be going into a lasered system outnumbered. I can live without flight spamming and being outnumbered (dependent on skill of course), provided there are no gay lasers. this mentality of needing flights to counter lasers is fairly pervasive. Removing some motivation for that would be beneficial.

From the perspective of someone who likes the change, I'm cool with this but I think 25% exp is just too harsh of a penalty for a single death. You're weighing months (and sometimes years) of exp generation against a single death in a single fight. So I sort of agree with you but instead of using a percentage, I'd prefer that the cap be raised significantly for pvp only on permas to the 2.5m-10m range. For extended bangs, maybe 500k-1m, and rebangs/blitz somewhere from 100k-250k, but keep it at 100k for invasion.

Basically I think the test for if the system is working is that if a player is good at something (however you define that), then they should get more exp the more they do that thing. I'd be ok with raising the 100k cap if the exp given for capturing a colony was also raised, but I'm afraid that would be exploited too easily. The only way to stop people from letting people cap their colonies for free exp would be if that exp came out of the owner (which might not be a bad way to balance the problem of builders never losing exp).

Drifter101

Post by Drifter101 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:24 am

remember combat deaths can be numerous just like invasion death, i.e. large battles where players will kill and be killed, or fighting off mulitple players who are invading your planet etc, etc, . So the xp loss shouldnt be TOO different, Id like to see 200k cap for invasion death (increased from 100k), and a 1million cap for combat death.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 am

<3 duece

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 am

sooo tired of the war im in where shittons of high exp peeps die on my dds and i get almost nothing.. no...take this BBQ off permas...smfh

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:11 am

Perhaps a restriction on the maximum daily intake of experience..?

I dunno, can already see flaws with my proposal but whatever.

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:24 am

dayum.. sup inevamis...

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:37 pm

-notorious- wrote:dayum.. sup inevamis...
Haha what's up homie? In case you were wondering... I don't play anymore I just I love you man! on the forums hoping the one day Toonces will give us an old school server lol.

Chet

Post by Chet » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 am

awesomepebble wrote:I think that for every 1,000,000 exp you should lose 100,000 exp
thats called 10% nub

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 pm

mArImBa wrote:Even better yet, as you with no or just a hint of exp on permas have stated, exp means nothing on pemas, Let's remove exp totally, no more exp from anything. Let's get rid of exp if that bothers you kids so much. No more exp. Just your followers. Or: if you die you lose 1/4th of your dear followers. Let's make followers matter!
Who the hug is this dumbass?
Seriously, stop posting until you can form a valid argument without resulting in personal attacks.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:11 pm

no one else can see how brilliantly sardonic mArImBa is being ? :roll:

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I see it PJ...
Random thought... How about we average 10% of the monthly and 10% of the overall and that is your loss... so if someone had 5 mill exp for the month and 45 mill exp for the overall server they would take the average of 10% of each... 500k and 4.5 mill... averaging that would be 2.5 mill. First day of the month everyone would have 0 monthly... if you die and you had 50 mill exp overall you would lose... (0+5mill)/2... 2.5 mill

That protects the people with large exp overall.

/brainstorm.