Trading Resources at Starbases

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Destinybound

Trading Resources at Starbases

Post by Destinybound » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Fairly simple, you would think that in a massive starbase, there would be a resource trader. Would be helpful for building colonies near starbases other than sol. An example of how this would be helpful would be a colony that I just started 1 hop from the PB, there's a port in the system but there isn't any oil for at least 10 hops. Food for thought.

Destinybound

Re: Trading Resources at Starbases

Post by Destinybound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 am

You really like trolling on my posts. This one wasn't even I love puppies. It makes sense to have a resource trader at starbases.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:53 am

Cloud1 wrote:So you want a port with resources that trade everything? or you just want people to gather from each base. This should be in the research lab.
A starbase should be able to buy and sell everthing, as there are a limited number of them. This makes it easier for people who either just started a galaxy, or are expanding from their colonies. In my case, the closest colony I have is 30 hops. I could invade, but I suck at it. I just want to be able to build without wasting 500 gallons of fuel per col.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 am

Better to actually have colonies around the bases instead of empty cols, that you cant build because you don't have resources. Understand what I'm getting at?

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 am

the thing hes getting at destiny, is that if you know what you're doing you can easily get a col to produce tons of oil for you. sure, that one col would suck most likely, but it would make all your other cols able to get the oil to grow.

yes, it might make a bit of logical sense for the bases to be better at trading, since they're hubs, but its not really necessary and id personally prefer toonces to work on other more problematic problems

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Can't you open up the sell/jettison window and sell your resources from there?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Toonces wrote:Can't you open up the sell/jettison window and sell your resources from there?
The prices are horrible, ALSO, its annoying when you try to jettison materials in a port. Cause if the port isn't buying that resource you have to leave the port to jettison.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:if the port isn't buying that resource you have to leave the port to jettison.
I believe i fixed that about a month ago. Can you verify that is still a problem?

candyman911

Post by candyman911 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 am

Toonces wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:if the port isn't buying that resource you have to leave the port to jettison.
I believe i fixed that about a month ago. Can you verify that is still a problem?
I'm still having that issue

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:39 pm

theres also hotkey overlap. F4 is jettison all, but when you're in a base its "buy shields, missles, and exit"

not that it bothers me much, just thought id point it out for while you were looking at that coding anyway in case you thought of a fix

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:26 pm

cloud is getting rather annoying, the next talak.winstar

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 am

gamanche wrote:cloud is getting rather annoying, the next talak.winstar

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 am

Destinybound wrote:Better to actually have colonies around the bases instead of empty cols, that you cant build because you don't have resources. Understand what I'm getting at?

I hope you don't take it personally but Cloud1 knows what he's talking about, and so do I. Over the last 6 years I built probably 2000+ colonies. I'm not an invader but my strong ability over the years was being successful at building. If every base had the resources then it would draw the experienced players to establish planets close and then use those to seed entire systems. You don't want experienced players building on top of your first planets, especially if they're seasoned invaders.

Build your first planet (Earth, Ocean). Build it up or pick a planet that produces the resource you're having a hard time obtaining. Once you get some population going, it will produce enough of the resource you need to seed more planets, until you no longer need the port for a specific resource. If you do this correctly the only struggle will be the first planet, and the struggle for resouces will be short lived. If you're really struggling for resources build a mountain as your second planet, and you can smash anything you need once population is high enough.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 am

candyman911 wrote:
Toonces wrote:
I'm still having that issue
Must be user error, this is working fine now.

Destinybound

Post by Destinybound » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Toonces wrote:Can't you open up the sell/jettison window and sell your resources from there?
I tried this... 250 spice was going for 1000 credits in all at Sol. I found a port 5 hops buying spice and sold it for 108k. Selling wasn't the only point of this post, although it would be helpful to have better prices. BUYING resources at Starbases like Sol or Launchport Andromeda is the other half. Making the Starbase both buy/sell every resource wpuld give builders a huge boost, because in some of the less active servers, cols around these bases are just dead.