In 50 words .. Create

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

In 50 words .. Create

Post by D-Tox1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:08 pm

an idea for SGE

Each and every one of us ( at some point in their career ) has thought " Damn wish we had .. " etc etc.
Or had idea's as to what they percieve as what would be a decent addition that would improve Playabilty on Starport.

I expect threads like this have been created before - if so i apologise straight away.
But 4Fun has mentioned before ( and i agree also ) that Players need to voice their own honest opinion ( without predjudice ) as to what they feel would improve the game ten fold.
Ideas change with the times, some start as a niggly thought - then when added become great for the game - these are the ideas required ( but all accepted ). :)

Try ( inside 50 words ) to explain what YOU feel would be a something to consider as an addition to the game.
Dont worry about what other Players think .. this is you and your thoughts alone .. c'mon be brave and let us all know.

If possible, try to think of ideas that dont and wont necessarily cost Toonces and his Litter a fortune to create - maybe if enough decent ones are brought foward, he might consider blending them all into a new Perma..
Recently i gave one example : " a Blind Galaxy Map " - Basically everyone starts off in Sol at the beginning of the Rebang / Perma and only get to see adjoining systems when theyve ventured into it.
Basic - yet new.

If at all possible, try and keep within boundaries of the game ... No Lapdancing Clubs, or Gratutitous Mens Clubs in Delta Arae. :lol:

And also - try and keep the balance between Invading and Building as it is .. or even better - narrow the difference so Building becomes as Profitable as it already is for Invaders.

*Am looking foward to seeing all those ideas jump on my screen ..

Peace Y'all

Toxy :wink:

IronLung

Re: In 50 words .. Create

Post by IronLung » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 pm

I absloutley love the idea of a blind map or fog of war as I have heard it called before. I think this one idea would make the server the most popular, regardless of mods/no-mods, corp size or colony population max.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I've thought of and liked the idea before of new artifacts with weirder and more extreme effects. For instance maybe an arti that increases one stat(say, plus 4 or 5) but lowers the other two (say, minus 1 or 2). That way people have to give more thought into what stats they want/need most, and makes more possible "best" arti setups. Cause right now its pretty much just either "suit/suit/suit" or "suit/suit/SC" on most servers.

I think that's about 50, but I'm not really in the mood to count. So if not, sorry. I think I at least got close xD

IronLung

Post by IronLung » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:13 pm

invaderzim wrote:I've thought of and liked the idea before of new artifacts with weirder and more extreme effects. For instance maybe an arti that increases one stat(say, plus 4 or 5) but lowers the other two (say, minus 1 or 2). That way people have to give more thought into what stats they want/need most, and makes more possible "best" arti setups. Cause right now its pretty much just either "suit/suit/suit" or "suit/suit/SC" on most servers.

I think that's about 50, but I'm not really in the mood to count. So if not, sorry. I think I at least got close xD

I like this idea also. Would you be able to choose which stats would be raised (mostly dex) and which ones would be lowered, or would it be a different arti for each stat?

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 am

space defence platform. essentially a biodome in space, 2 are allowed per system but only ONE per corp allowed. fires a solar cannon and has a cargo hold for metal only up to 3k metal and space for up to 3000 people. the more metal in it and the more people the bigger and faster the cannon fires.

im thinking if its completely full its max should be 4 shot 60. I has a shield health of 40,000 and nukes are attracted to it like any other laser but do half damage to it. ship weapons like photon torpedoes etc do double their normal damage to it.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 am

I know this wont work with the way things are, but honestly... just do a monthly charge with even odds.. I think in the long run, it will be the only thing that will keep the game alive and not keep killing the game
:?

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 am

Global friends list with the option of sending a /t to a character in any galaxy

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:07 pm

IronLung wrote:
invaderzim wrote:I've thought of and liked the idea before of new artifacts with weirder and more extreme effects. For instance maybe an arti that increases one stat(say, plus 4 or 5) but lowers the other two (say, minus 1 or 2). That way people have to give more thought into what stats they want/need most, and makes more possible "best" arti setups. Cause right now its pretty much just either "suit/suit/suit" or "suit/suit/SC" on most servers.

I like this idea also. Would you be able to choose which stats would be raised (mostly dex) and which ones would be lowered, or would it be a different arti for each stat?
I hadn't thought about choosing, but that might be interesting. I was just imagining 3 new artis, one that significantly increased dex and hurt the other two, one that significantly increased charisma and hurt the other two, and one that significantly increased wisdom and hurt the other two

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Barefoot wrote:Global friends list with the option of sending a /t to a character in any galaxy
This is a great idea .. although might hurt the recent addition of " Announce" shouts.. ( unfortunately ). :(
That said - is still a future possibilty if perhaps Starport can accumulate Sales and theres no need for " announcements ".
LordSturm wrote:space defence platform. essentially a biodome in space, 2 are allowed per system but only ONE per corp allowed. fires a solar cannon and has a cargo hold for metal only up to 3k metal and space for up to 3000 people. the more metal in it and the more people the bigger and faster the cannon fires.

im thinking if its completely full its max should be 4 shot 60. I has a shield health of 40,000 and nukes are attracted to it like any other laser but do half damage to it. ship weapons like photon torpedoes etc do double their normal damage to it.
:shock:
So.. i guess you would have to " Build " this Defence Platform using population and resources as you do with Planet Biodomes ?
Do you " Cap " this Defence Platform ? or are you able to destroy it using Torps and Nukes etc ? ..

Some great thoughts guys.. keep em coming.
CrazyChef wrote:I know this wont work with the way things are, but honestly... just do a monthly charge with even odds.. I think in the long run, it will be the only thing that will keep the game alive and not keep killing the game
:?

:( Bud, know its kinda sad - but dang ive / weve all missed ya on here. Come find me or Mail me on here ok, hook up an have a giggle. like old times :wink:

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 am

IronLung wrote:I absloutley love the idea of a blind map or fog of war as I have heard it called before. I think this one idea would make the server the most popular, regardless of mods/no-mods, corp size or colony population max.
I was thinking about this recently actually,

what hes saying is basically have the unexplored parts of the map, ACTUALLY UNEXPLORED! like no warplane layouts or star types shown or anything even visible. You dont see a system even on your map until you enter a system adjacent to it.This will be a great strategic tool for builders imo, and make space exploration somewhat romantic :p

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 am

IronLung wrote:I absloutley love the idea of a blind map or fog of war as I have heard it called before. I think this one idea would make the server the most popular, regardless of mods/no-mods, corp size or colony population max.
So, would you be able to set course for systems you haven't "discovered" yet, such as the command:
/go arcturus

?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

Toonces wrote:
So, would you be able to set course for systems you haven't "discovered" yet, such as the command:
/go arcturus

?
I think he means... Hmmm... I think he means you can only view the planets from map and what not in systems that you have colonies in or that you or a corpie/contractor is in.

IronLung

Post by IronLung » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 am

Toonces wrote:
/go arcturus

?

Nope. The only way to see a system on the map or get to it would be to actually fly through the warp, then it shows up on the map. Otherwise everyone would just fly around on auto-pilot for the first day and that would defeat the purpose of the blind map.

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am

Toonces wrote:
/go arcturus

?
Well at start of game nothing on map is visible - its just complete blackness.. except Sol ( where you are )..
Once you venture into attached system - it becomes visible on map - and stays visible throughout rest of the game - just thought it might bring a little " twist " to the game.
If for example you get a Taxi to Omicron Volantis : well unless youve actually been there - theres no way of knowing where it is.. so Autopilot wont work ( because your Starchart doesnt know where Omicron Volantis is ).
Maybe on this basis - Taxi fares should be increased ( for disturbance and effort related reasons ).

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 am

D-Tox1 wrote: Well at start of game nothing on map is visible - its just complete blackness.. except Sol ( where you are )..
Once you venture into attached system - it becomes visible on map - and stays visible throughout rest of the game.
I have it working that way except you can see all of U.N. space around Sol at the beginning of the game. Is that cool?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 am

Toonces wrote:
D-Tox1 wrote: Well at start of game nothing on map is visible - its just complete blackness.. except Sol ( where you are )..
Once you venture into attached system - it becomes visible on map - and stays visible throughout rest of the game.
I have it working that way except you can see all of U.N. space around Sol at the beginning of the game. Is that cool?
Yeah.

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 am

more than 50 words, no details more of a bigger picture:

I enjoy change it keeps me motivated to play, however....

Its pretty simple, any reasonable/considered change that favours builders always encourages invaders and more importantly in starport, co-ordinated teams of invaders.

Any changes that are detrimental to builders have the effect of less building (it takes more time to build a col than invade a col) and in turn less opportunities for invaders.

I can see that Toonces may be trying to make things easier for new players to get a foothold, but this is a false economy. If u make things too easy all round then you dont hold onto players. For example if u switch on all the "cheats" on a xbox or ps3 game..bigger guns, unlimited health etc etc..you soon get bored cos their isnt any challenge and the game ends up in the bargain bucket.

If u want to make servers that reflect the skill base of those participating do the following:

Use achievments for allowing new players to progress through different levels of server difficulty.
i.e. a new player has 2 or 3 servers they qualify for ...when they reach a certain ach level they are allowed access to the next tranche of servers..and so on.

Players with higher levels of achievment are not able to play servers beneath there skill level (achievment level), apart from toonces "teachers".

This way people will compete on a more even level, can learn the ropes without becoming disollusioned and the top players can have all out war with their peers.

Incentives to rise through the ranks are always a hook for players, and the achievments are currently meaningless.

MJS

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 pm

A brill idea.
Something like this could work immensly well - if thought out and implemented using " gentle " ideas from current Players.
I like this idea of " progression through Achievements " etc .. would encourage people to participate within Rebangs also - gaining achievement Points in this manner also - enabling them to progress to " next level".

Would this be expensive to implement ?
In the long run - is most certainly bound to increase enjoyment and Playerbase .. which is the whole point.
This idea of MJS's definately rockz .. along with a "Universal Standings Table" ( based on Exp gain / followers ) etc could also add enjoyment .. knowing who the Present Top Players are all-round in SGE at current time, changing hrly depending on there accumulation of Followers / Exp.

These new additions ( Raiding and not Invading ) and No Resources in Port - anyone have any feedback on how thats going at the moment ?
Is it working as hoped ? or pointless excercise ?

Joel70
2010 Pax Champion

Post by Joel70 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:23 pm

If u like this concept Toxy then by all means push it, expensive shouldnt think so we had new player only servers before..so it cant be hard to link log-on access to achievments.

Also with a even player base people will buy tourneys to get that edge, also in order to try and progress up the ladder more quickly.

I dont know about the raiding, I do look forward to the non resources though...a good challenge for me.

MJS