New Server Vote

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should a new server be banged according to Pbn4ever's specifications?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 43

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: New Server Vote

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 pm

pbn4ever wrote:the main problem is helping out people who want to war, but do not have the man power. most servers you see multiple corps picking on the small, i.e. GA and spaceguy. half the server is fighting him. unfair completly. this new server will stop all of this and show who the real pro's are, and who are the sheep.

and stop trying to make toonces feel guilty. get over it for hug sake.
LOL @ the spaceguy thing :lol:
in his quote he called everyone pieces of BBQ and proceeded to invade basically everyone on the server

there have been many players who had success solo there (PAIN for example) and didn't get ganged because they WEREN't CHIA PETS TO EVERYONE :roll:

Your ONE example of a lone person getting invaded by a lot of people completely contradicts the point you were trying to make. Something like that happens on every server.

in fact, not including new layouts AT ALL definitely does not "show who the pros are" :roll: less of a concentration of them would be ideal I'd think, but then really, anyone can come invade on this server. Old layouts are tedious and boring and take no skill. I prefer group invading the hard layouts with 2 other people - not too many so you can 'dominate' the col but not so little that it's impossible. trying to domeslide pacmans or on a fog with a deep path of mines to dome but not completely encircling the dome itself, going in and running to bottom right corner and then going for cap :mrgreen: (did that a week ago) etcc.. or even ratmaze domeslides (which ive only seen 1 vid of)... old layout are just a bunch of nuke eaters that you mine trick :roll:

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:49 pm

awesomepebble wrote: dmj usually has someONE on
nuff said, and i bet that 1 is you :roll:

Golab36

Post by Golab36 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

I have to agree with CC on his comment... stop making permas if they are not permanent. I stated before... a server similar to the old Classics specifications would be a great server, no mods of course or at the very least allow only 2 mods instead of 8. Mods themselves aren't bad... but when they make fighting and invading too easy the skill factor of the game dies.

But if you are going to make this new server... like I said, make it like Classic Homeworlds when it banged years ago... now that was a server. As to the contractor issues I see repeated on here... I do not agree with it. Contractors are great, but how about making contractors only able to clean colonies or place defenses? I understand the invading issues when it comes to contractors... just keep that out of the contractor element.

But I already stated in this post, I agree with CC on his comment... these tweeks are just a couple of suggestions. By the way, make the corp size 2 or 3 max.

Golabulus(Rangers all the way!!)

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 am

2-3 is fine, i like no new maps, no mods... but maybe a medium map size, not as big as GA... maybe like Classic homeworlds sized :)

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 am

Hell no....stop listening to babies that don't know how to play this game.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 am

this server isnt meant to be for the masses, but for the people who like to play solo who cant get anywhere on any of the other servers cos fears of vading then getting ganked by half the server because of it.

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 am

Hellz no

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 am

server meant for the masses?
let's say 40 players is already "the masses". now if theres 120 systems, there's only 3 systems per player.
not to forget some will be u.n.
and where do new players build? won't they be accepted on that server?

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 am

Personally I'm not very intrigued. It sounds like Civil War with small corps, and I don't think that would be popular enough to justify a new galaxy right now.

There doesn't seem to be a groundswell of support for this idea. I guess, PBN, I'd advise you to start on an existing galaxy for the time being.

Altair1

Post by Altair1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

-4Fun wrote:server meant for the masses?
let's say 40 players is already "the masses". now if theres 120 systems, there's only 3 systems per player.
not to forget some will be u.n.
and where do new players build? won't they be accepted on that server?
well 4fun i disagree totaly with this statement, this server is about war and fighting not building, if you want to build orion and ga are availible openly to build on. This server is a great idea just toonces decides to listen to his wallet. If you take away the whining bitches on ga who are afraid of having to have some skil on this new server u may actually hear the people who want it, personaly i know of at least 35people who wish for this perma to be banged, and honestly why do u find it so hard to delete the other servers they cant earn u half as much as 3 popular servers would pay you

Mathius

Post by Mathius » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Umm how about we have some players to play the new server!

Todays to do list
1. Fixes game glitches. eg cap bug, d/c death bug,
1A). FInd a way to look after loyal players that have been there through the good, the bad and ugly patches of sge.
2. Improve marketing to attract new players.
3. Keep current servers until player base improves significantly.
4. smoke a reefer cause you have made lots of people happy so you should be too!

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Toonces wrote:Personally I'm not very intrigued. It sounds like Civil War with small corps, and I don't think that would be popular enough to justify a new galaxy right now.

There doesn't seem to be a groundswell of support for this idea. I guess, PBN, I'd advise you to start on an existing galaxy for the time being.

yay!

id like to see more minigame type maps like blitz before new permanent servers anyways.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Saber-Fury wrote:
awesomepebble wrote: dmj usually has someONE on
nuff said, and i bet that 1 is you :roll:
there was 13 on yesterday night

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:56 pm

toonces, tell me which server will allow people who prefer to play solo and like to war successfully? without vading 1 person then getting ganked by the whole server?

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Toonces wrote:Personally I'm not very intrigued. It sounds like Civil War with small corps, and I don't think that would be popular enough to justify a new galaxy right now.

Question is : Whats the point in creating a Perma based on an existing Perma and settings.

Toonces Golden Age has worked a treat - providing settings that the current Player base on there enjoy.. which is all round great for the game .
Maybe it isnt right time for a new Perma, but again - if one is created it needs individuality - making it new and different from current ones available, on this basis new ideas ( that dont necessarily affect stability within the game )are required to make it alluring to new Players.

for example :

Instead of as it is now : you start in Sol... and can see Galaxy Map layout - except you dont know what Ports are in systems etc etc .
What about creating a Perma that starts you off in Sol, but The only system you can see is the one you start off in - rest of Galaxy is totally invisible until youve actually flown into the adjoining systems, hence making it visible ( to you ). - i mean who knows how big this Galaxy actually is ? where does it go ? where are the end arms etc etc.. creating a little " twist to the game. Everybody starts off in Sol - but havent a clue where theyre going .. and as Chef said .. if youre going to make a Perma - it needs to be a Perma .. not 2 years then delete it : give out unlimited Tokens to the top finishers and then create another one.

Maybe forget the Mods .. but allow 5 Artifacts per person .
The rest can be decided as and when .. but still think its worth thinking about .. :?

Golab36

Post by Golab36 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I like D-tox and his idea... Fog of War map... thats really a good idea.

Golabulus(Rangers all the way!!)

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 pm

i agree we have to many servers.
we need to close almost all of them, as most of them are just old permas being kept alive hug knows how

we have orion - mod server, map meant to expand soon - medium corps
we have GA - no-mod server, huge map - big corps
but we have no server for small corps. ^.^

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm

why on earth would you want a small corp size in that kind of server? lol

Its just going to be a worse version of GA

EDIT: mods are fine aslong as they're ONLY performance mods meaning no weapon mods as that's what truly ruined the gameplay.

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 am

Not that i give a shiit or will ever play it but why don't you make a server with no corps? that way it has to be more active because your shiit will die if your not and there will be way more invading because theres no one to back you up its every man for them selfs.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:10 am

i was really excited for this new server to start, but i guess this means back to the drawing board for you sir! hopefully something better can be discussed that more people will enjoy

phantomdan

Post by phantomdan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 am

Banging a new server isn't going to bring the game new players, and that is what is needed most on the game. The dome cap bug is truly something that needs to be worked on a.s.a.p. its been around as long as i can remember. Then new players wouldn't have to experience that either. Every player on starport can agree on one thing, its something we would like to see fixed, the sooner the better. Sge is split into different groups of players, perma players, rebangers, players who like mods, players who dont, players who like both., Blitzers etc. Now, we dont need the thin player base scattered around everywhere. We need to crunch them into servers, and kill off the dead ones.
Allow just enough servers for enough choice, but not scattered so thin. Eliminate The Old Republic server, that way GA will be the only no-mod server. When needed, add systems, if players whine over the same players owning everything, make more systems, or ELIMINATE the option for contractors. etc. There is always a way to maintain balance you see. But there is such a thing called preservation, and that is a big thing that is needed here on this game. Its fair to say that toonces does recognize the fact the players who have been around a few years like starport the way it was before. The game needs to be restored to its former glory days. And all we have left is Ga right now.
Its arguable when sge was at its finest, because i wasnt here when there was no pollution. But i do remember when the refinery patch was first introduced, was fun times then, and actual 1 vs 1's happening. Not the dirty ones either. Good times. So there is an old saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it. So as far as permas go, yes allow the freedom of choice for those players who do like mods. They have Orion, and we have GA. All other permas should be deleted, Except blitz which is for the pvp fanbase.

Its friggin simple, keep adding systems, make the galaxies huge. Make it so the same players couldnt possible have the time on their hands to build it all. Crunch the players into 4 groups, blitzers, rebangers, mod players, no mod players, GA for no mod players, Orion for mod players, Blitz for blitzers, etc. delete all the rest of the servers lets get players together and really have some fun. The more users online on a server, the better in terms of new players coming, because they will go where there is ppl actually there. More ppl online the more than can help the new players.

** It could be justified keeping P1 as it was the first perma server and perhaps it should be kept to preserve that piece of sge history.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:55 am

I just dont think the server with the settings that guy made is unique enough, .... It would be "just another perma" ....We need a server thats unique for example D-tox's idea its new and great or how about a war server?
Colony adjustments:-
o Solar shot cost 50
o weapon production uses less resources
o Increased weapon production by 25%
o High fuel regen
o No mods
o Lower pollution

Atleast bigger empires can be taken down with lower solars.... No mods is a level playing field, fuel for more invading, but a big enough galaxy for buildies to tuck away aswell.

Golab36

Post by Golab36 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

i vote yes... if its another perma i'm gonna be mad cause the other permas are stupid now... make a perma small galaxty 3000 npc's :lol: -Tommy11

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:26 pm

pbn4ever wrote:toonces, tell me which server will allow people who prefer to play solo and like to war successfully? without vading 1 person then getting ganked by the whole server?
all it takes is skill in diplomacy ;)
the reason everyone invades when you invade one person is because they used diplomacy, which you can counter with diplomacy of your own

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am

Look up the how to set SGE right again thread, there are a lot of good ideas there. If you can incorporate those changes, and bring back the pre ref sliders patch SGE, i will play this server 24/7 all summer and throw out my roadtrip plans, hiking plans, golf plans, and all the other stuff i have to do to take up former sge time :o

But seriously, no more disappointing servers. I'd rather you make this server fun and wait for it than play it and be disappointed again.