New Server Vote

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should a new server be banged according to Pbn4ever's specifications?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 43

Toonces
Site Admin

New Server Vote

Post by Toonces » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 am

Should a new server be banged according to Pbn4ever's specifications?

Pbn, please feel free to post a concise and thorough description of all the settings/characteristics of the server you want. Thanks.

pbn4ever

Re: New Server Vote

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

its mels specifications, i just keep spamming so you will see it :)

but the jist of it is, an average to small size server,
but with MANY planets in each system
many ports (not as many as GA),
small corps (2-3 man corps),

NO CONTRACTS

some people want the first 30 layouts, but i dont mind,
5mil starting cash,
seems like most people would like mods,
Medium difficulty, so 25k pop cap and decent pollution.

im sure mel can add the rest later on, but these are the basics.
Last edited by pbn4ever on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Altair1

Post by Altair1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 am

Yes, these specifications are perfect for a war server smal corp numbers, but i do agree with phantoms say, 3people would be nice as 2people invading a dd fog woulnt be pretty,
but yes there should be no changes to this,
but i beg to make it a mod server no contractor, if theres no mods theres no me and many others wil be the same
great idea time to put into action
alt

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

I like the server settings described by Mel'Kaven and others, if it banged now I'd definately give it a try.
However I voted "no" because I think the same players who were contributing to that thread will be complaining just after it banged.
I think if they really want it then they will put some more effort into working it out. I see a lot of spam that just distracts off other people's opinion.

Toonces, you can see that even on this thread there's already 2 posts where players take a stand for their personal setting preferences.
Add-it: If you really want to bang a new server and the only problem is the settings, try to get more players' opinion. The game comunity is made out of more players than just the very few on the forum.
At the same time there is players who are strictly against banging a new server. Maybe you can reanimate an existing permaverse without rebanging it. Maybe a slight change on an existing permaverse can fullfil everyone's wishes. At the same time, no more permas need to be deleted.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm all for it.. except one thing... if you bang this one there will be even MORE servers, i think we should just do the do and take out The 11th for sure maybe Tor, maybe Dmj, maybe others.. but atleast take out a few :/. But the new server sounds great, ecspecially when i read Mel' s whole idea..-Mr.Cow

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Mr Cow wrote:I'm all for it.. except one thing... if you bang this one there will be even MORE servers, i think we should just do the do and take out The 11th for sure maybe Tor, maybe Dmj, maybe others.. but atleast take out a few :/. But the new server sounds great, ecspecially when i read Mel' s whole idea..-Mr.Cow
dmj usually has someone on, take out rop, idk maybe 11th, and dont forget, if the tokens sell, it stays

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

i voted yes on the condition that mel's utter annihilation plan comes to fruition

first, get rid of...
-DMJ
-P5
-ROP
-TOR
-11th

This will give us enough people to occupy the new Civil War server, and will also benefit GA as some of the displaced people will go there, and we don't want Civil War to kill GA

vodkashot

Post by vodkashot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:57 pm

No this is yet another stupid topic and a stupid poll. Soon as this server is banged it will get taken over by other players and pbn and the other players who wanted this server will be asking for another to be banged.

By creating yet another server it is spreading the already small player base even thinner. The majority of the players who play sge want active servers with lots of players to play against and some competition. Creating another server means that the majority of players won't be getting the competition they need to make the game worthwhile and will therefore quit.

Toonces before you start adding servers delete some of the other ones. Then concentrate on getting the player base back to it former glory. Then and only then should you consider adding more servers. GA isnt built fully yet and Orion probably isnt even half built.

The specification that have been set however would make a good server but only when the others have been deleted, the player base increased or Ga and Orion mostly built.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:05 pm

vodkashot wrote:No this is yet another stupid topic and a stupid poll. Soon as this server is banged it will get taken over by other players and pbn and the other players who wanted this server will be asking for another to be banged.

By creating yet another server it is spreading the already small player base even thinner. The majority of the players who play sge want active servers with lots of players to play against and some competition. Creating another server means that the majority of players won't be getting the competition they need to make the game worthwhile and will therefore quit.

Toonces before you start adding servers delete some of the other ones. Then concentrate on getting the player base back to it former glory. Then and only then should you consider adding more servers. GA isnt built fully yet and Orion probably isnt even half built.

The specification that have been set however would make a good server but only when the others have been deleted, the player base increased or Ga and Orion mostly built.
if it will make the player base even thinner, then ask yourself,
1) why did they move servers
2) you can play multiple servers at once

plus hoping toonces will delete few servers

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:12 pm

vodkashot, I definitely agree with a lot of what you just said, and agree that the playerbase is spread thin. However I think if we got rid of the servers I listed above, ALL of them, it would counteract the new server and be alright. With those removed there would be a net decrease of servers, which is what you seem to want

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

vodkashot wrote:No this is yet another stupid topic and a stupid poll. Soon as this server is banged it will get taken over by other players and pbn and the other players who wanted this server will be asking for another to be banged.

I agree with Vodka's assumption. :?

Although i must admit it seems that when an Old Perma is deleted - and a new one begun .. you end up with Players that have Lorry loads of Tokens - because of the " compensation" for deleting the Perma that they used to play .. which in turn enables them to have limitless benefits on either the new Perma - or an old one that could be deleted fairly soon ( they buy Empires from Top Players on that specific Perma ) - hence meaning they gain even more on the deletion of that Perma also ..

Seems a kind of vicious circle, do Players really need to be compensated for losing a Perma ? - i mean isnt there enough in Play Tokens already ? - surely it would be more in Toonces interest to have these Tokens used - so we all end up buying more .

Tbh i think creating a new Perma isnt a bad idea, just i think if you do create one .. it needs to be " special ". By that i mean theres no point making a Perma that will make everyone leave Golden Age .. hence making that one desolate.

I refer to my point a few months back ( about creating a " special " extended ) . - No point creating one - unless its " different from all the rest ".. giving choice to the Players across the whole game.
Ive mentioned many times that i believe the way it used to be was so much better, Toonces seems to have accommodated some of our wishes ( losing Port Negs ) thankfully, for that i truly believe more Players will come back / start playing - giving it a little time. - hence Golden Age being such a hit .
Those Players seem happy now.. so maybe it wouldnt hurt to have this Perma with a bit of a difference from Golden Age - therefore making another group of SGE Players happy .
I disagree with Altairs opinion .. tell me how many Permas exist at the moment where you cant have Modifications ? - even GA has set mods.
So why cant this Perma be a no Mod server ? - there isnt one at present.
4Fun Toonces has to listen to the people that use the Forum - agreed theres far more Players out there .. but if they dont use the Forums - tell me exactly what is it Toonces is supposed to do to get their opinion ?
If those Players cant be bothered to give an opinion on the Forums then how can he get their opinion ? - thats what Forums is for right ?.

Just a few thoughts ..

Peace
Toxy

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 pm

What no-mod players often forget is that "they" also have a dead perma. there has only been 2 no-mod permas so far, and 1 is already dead...
if you wanted to play another no-mod server so badly why don't you just play tor?
And ask mod-players the same: why does there really need to be a new server, there's already a bunch of perma out there with different settings and maps.
why open a new server to conceal the problems of a bunch of existing servers.

an admin should listen to the players, but in the end he himself (should) know best what to do...

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:56 pm

-4Fun wrote:What no-mod players often forget is that "they" also have a dead perma. there has only been 2 no-mod permas so far, and 1 is already dead...
if you wanted to play another no-mod server so badly why don't you just play tor?
And ask mod-players the same: why does there really need to be a new server, there's already a bunch of perma out there with different settings and maps.
why open a new server to conceal the problems of a bunch of existing servers.

an admin should listen to the players, but in the end he himself (should) know best what to do...
the main problem is helping out people who want to war, but do not have the man power. most servers you see multiple corps picking on the small, i.e. GA and spaceguy. half the server is fighting him. unfair completly. this new server will stop all of this and show who the real pro's are, and who are the sheep.

and stop trying to make toonces feel guilty. get over it for hug sake.

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm

toonces should feel guilty for not accepting responsibility for the players

IronLung

Post by IronLung » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 pm

I voted yes for one reason, really small corp sizes. I prefer to play solo and its almost impossible to keep a decent amount of followers by yourself. Especially when a corp with 4-7 players and their 8 contractors choose to invade. I would love for it to be 5 shot max solars and 1 player corps with no contractors but I doubt anyone would want that beside me.

NightstarRage

Post by NightstarRage » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:02 pm

im happy with letting pbn4ever take the credit for this.. but dont let him botch our idea..

Outline:
Cheap Starting Prices At Bases
Accelerated Artifact Regeneration
4m Starting Cash (2 in bank, 2 on hand)
Layouts 1-30
No Modules, Asteroids and Negotiators in starports
Lower Difficulty for Lower Pollution
80-120 Colonies
Ports In Every System With The Exception Of A Few.. a few less ports than GA
50 Ore Per Shot On Solars
Smaller Corps: 2-3 Per Corp

No Contracts
Last edited by NightstarRage on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:11 pm

NightstarRage wrote:im happy with letting pbn4ever take the credit for this.. but dont let him botch our idea..

Outline:
Layouts 1-30
80-120 Colonies
120 systems i believe it was, packed with planets?

edit : delete my troll on ore, not the time to complain.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:19 pm

pbn4ever wrote:
NightstarRage wrote:im happy with letting pbn4ever take the credit for this.. but dont let him botch our idea..

Outline:
Layouts 1-30
80-120 Colonies
120 systems i believe it was, packed with planets?

edit : delete my troll on ore, not the time to complain.
these specific toonces ^^^^

lower difficulty means medium, not easy... rest is correct

dont forget no contracts

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I want a new server. But pbn's, whoever's, specifications suck donkey. So, I'll vote no until better ideas are brought to Toonces' attention. Thank you.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Outline:
4m Starting Cash (2 in bank, 2 on hand) No Thanks.
Layouts 1-30
80-120 Colonies
Smaller Corps: 2-3 Per Corp 4 > 2-3.

No Contracts
I much prefer this except...

Also to make this server special, how about ships have more speed on this server? NOT JUST DEX. Speed. :roll:
Last edited by BardockSGE on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 pm

BardockSGE wrote:

Outline:
4m Starting Cash (2 in bank, 2 on hand) No Thanks.
Layouts 1-30
80-120 Colonies
Smaller Corps: 2-3 Per Corp 4 > 2-3.

No Contracts

I much prefer this except...
4 is to many, makes vading to easy, even for no contracts. this server is meant to benefit the people who like to play solo or pairs.

and the cash, empires will start MUCH quicker with higher starting cash, and an more even playing ground at start for non-tokener's.

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm

why would toonces want to make a server for non-tokeners...

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 pm

-4Fun wrote:why would toonces want to make a server for non-tokeners...
your determined to make this servr fail. just stfu. and go back to your petty orion. if you have nothing good to say bout new server, then dont speak. this is a thread to vote for new server, not for you to I love you man! about it whenever possible.

-4Fun

Post by -4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 pm

this thread is to see everyone's opinion, not just yours.

vodkashot

Post by vodkashot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 pm

80-120 cols :lol: . The reason you want this server is so one corp doesnt just own everything

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 pm

pbn4ever wrote: NO CONTRACTS
You're saying that corps shouldn't be able to hire contractors? What's wrong with the contractor system?

vodkashot

Post by vodkashot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I believe what he is meaning by no contracts is that you have your 3 man corp and they are the only people who can help you with invading / fighting. If its going to be a small server it wouldn't work to have contracts because 1-2 corps could just own everything and help each other with invading / fighting. By having no contracts you have to work alone and can't rely too heavily on others.

There is however nothing wrong with the current contracting system so that should remain as it is on other servers, don't go changing it lol.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Toonces wrote:
You're saying that corps shouldn't be able to hire contractors? What's wrong with the contractor system?
Nothing wrong with contracts. I mean you're not seriously going to make a new server that small.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 pm

BardockSGE wrote:
Toonces wrote:
Nothing wrong with contracts. I mean you're not seriously going to make a new server that small.
Nothing wrong with current system. But a server of this size has to have no contracts. it will bring a new way to play and it stops the server being quickly owned by a ring of people, then it's just like any other server.

And it doesn't matter the systems count, as long as they are packed with planets.

Cant wait for the server :):):).

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Why delete permas and make new ones? and if you do.. stop calling them permas.. :roll: