Why was the IGS nerfed?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Why was the IGS nerfed?

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Why did we get a -1 dex penalty for having a IGS? Whats the point in owning one now, it's no better then a ceo ship now.

JesusRocks765

Re: Why was the IGS nerfed?

Post by JesusRocks765 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:47 pm

IKR? D:

I suggest we Boycott Buying them until the Regular Settings are re-instated.

Major

Post by Major » Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 pm

its still better then the ceo. ...but how about giving me 9k back when i blow it up.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 am

I don't think Toonces understands what he did, nerfing it -1 dex on blitz or a mod server...no big deal. Can be fixed with a simple mod add on.

On a server like Golden Age, -1dex on IGS makes a huge difference in ship performance. BTW I was under the impression dex had nothing to do with a ships top speed. Per starpedia that is. In the game news it says the IGS top speed was slowed down with the -1 dex penalty. Makes no sense.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:I don't think Toonces understands what he did, nerfing it -1 dex on blitz or a mod server...no big deal. Can be fixed with a simple mod add on.

On a server like Golden Age, -1dex on IGS makes a huge difference in ship performance. BTW I was under the impression dex had nothing to do with a ships top speed. Per starpedia that is. In the game news it says the IGS top speed was slowed down with the -1 dex penalty. Makes no sense.

Henry

Post by Henry » Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 am

CrazyChef wrote: Image
Hold on, is that even a road below, or is it a stream/river? If its just a road, i can catch a slight bit of sense out of the picture. He stole the sewing machine out of the UPS truck!

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 am

Henry wrote:
Hold on, is that even a road below, or is it a stream/river? If its just a road, i can catch a slight bit of sense out of the picture. He stole the sewing machine out of the UPS truck!
yes, all the thieves in tuxes lol, makes total sence

Caia

Post by Caia » Thu May 12, 2011 3:35 am

Its a road... Made of flowing water.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 am

that would be a flash flood going through a neighborhood. presumably over a road, seeing as tux-thief is on a sidewalk, otherwise it would make even less sense that the UPS truck is there...

bluesky

Post by bluesky » Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 am

CrazyChef wrote:
Henry wrote:
yes, all the thieves in tuxes lol, makes total sence
Looks like he knows somwone getting married, and if the make of the sewing machine is right...
... It´s a WEDDING SINGER :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrazyGardenGnome

Post by CrazyGardenGnome » Thu May 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I used to buy IGS because it had better top speed than seth and better thrusting and steering than ISC. Now it's just another crappy builder's ship with a useless secondary weapon.

I don't see any point in wasting $10 on it when seth and ISC now both have better stats than IGS.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 pm

The Intergalactics' Ship top speed was reduced by 5% to make up for having its hardware bays doubled from 8 to 16, which happened a few months ago and made the IGS, in my opinion, a little too powerful even for a token-bought ship.

pbn4ever

Post by pbn4ever » Thu May 12, 2011 8:52 pm

IGS is much more balanced this way. with the 9k top speed. it would just catch anything on no mod servers and nuke them basically an auto kill with igs and nukes. the lowered speed gives an equal playing field in speed, but it still has advantage in many other areas, like thrust, turning, energy. even compared to CEO. IGS still wins.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Toonces wrote:The Intergalactics' Ship top speed was reduced by 5% to make up for having its hardware bays doubled from 8 to 16, which happened a few months ago and made the IGS, in my opinion, a little too powerful even for a token-bought ship.

So why does this ship cost $10 when it is no better then a Ceo ship now? There was nothing wrong with it, stop listening to the crybabies. And if the 16 hardware was so OP why didn't you remove it then? The IGS was a perfect all around ship minus the usless secondary weapon. Now other then the 16 Hardware I can hardly justify buying one on a new server.

Honestly 3/4 of the other ships are essentially useless for any meaningful gameplay. Maybe it's time for some new ships instead of changing ship settings around and potentially hurting token sales.

As far as pbn goes....IGS is not any faster then any other ship. You act like it was double the speed which it is not. Your not catching anyone that has a half a system lead on you regardless of what you have on a no-mod server.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 am

i feel like some illegitimate child alien hugged with toonces head so he still has sense to know when shits gone wrong but is somehow incapable of listening to the community and fixing the source of the problem.

basically the timeline is like this... toonces introduces overpowered nukes > community asks for old nukes > IGS bays are increased to increase token sales > community asks for old nukes > game balance and play get seriously hugged as a result > community asks for old nukes > SE effects are increased to counter nuke damage > community asks for old nukes > game still seems off balance and fighting still sucks > community asks for old nukes > IGS dex is reduced 1 in an attempt to balance the game again > community asks for old nukes

does anyone else see whats happening here? im going to use a more visual example to explain what im seeing. theres this decent looking chick, but she wants to look better. so she gets a nose job. her previously attractive nose is now enormous, but she thinks it looks fantastic. everyone tells her that her nose looks like BBQ. she continues thinking its fantastic. but then she starts to notice that her face seems kind of off balance. i mean, her big nose that everyone hates looks fantastic but now the rest of her face is off! she continues to get several other cosmetic surgeries in an attempt to balance out that huge nose, but they make her increasingly more painful to look at. in the end, her face is balanced again. problem is she looks like BBQ.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri May 13, 2011 12:52 am

Grawrg, i don't even understand what old nukes means. Can you write me a synopsis of what changes you would like to see regarding nukes from the way they currently are, to what you think they should be? Details are really good, and keep it to 3, 2, or less changes if you can and make sure to explain to me which change is the most important to which one is the least important.

In order to ensure that I see it, it would be great if you emailed it, or a link to it, to support@starportgame.com. Tokens will go to superfunk if it's a good report. Thank you.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 am

Toonces wrote:Grawrg, i don't even understand what old nukes means. Can you write me a synopsis of what changes you would like to see regarding nukes from the way they currently are, to what you think they should be? Details are really good, and keep it to 3, 2, or less changes if you can and make sure to explain to me which change is the most important to which one is the least important.

In order to ensure that I see it, it would be great if you emailed it, or a link to it, to support@starportgame.com. Tokens will go to superfunk if it's a good report. Thank you.

Old nukes, the ones we had for a few years until the mod patch came and then you sped the nukes up to counter the flight mods. Nukes have not been able to be dodged the old way since you sped them up after the mod patch.

The nukes we want back were the ones that were good between the refinery slider patch and the mods. Nukes took skill to outrun then, now with the IGS slowed down you just made it even easier to kill.

If you put the nuke speed to what it was right before you introduced the mods everyone would be happy. Set up GA exactly as the game was during the refinery slider patch and we would all be happy.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri May 13, 2011 3:47 am

Death, i have no idea what you mean when you say "old nukes" or what it means to be before this patch or after that patch.

The only way I can know what you want is if you tell me how they should be different from the way they are right now.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 13, 2011 5:00 am

If you happen to have a old version of the game that is before the mod patch you will see what we are talking about. Nukes do not follow a fast straight line nor do they lock on to you as fast as they do now.

They had more of a slow curve that followed a target more linear then they do now. For example the current nukes track strange...they will be going straight then abruptly change direction...like a 45 degree quick turn. It's not just the speed, the trajectory the nukes travel is not the same as the old nukes prior to the mod patch.

The old nukes had a slower curve that made them predictable and could be outrun if you knew what you were doing. IE: Circle fly. The new nukes cannot be outrun unless you are halfway across the galaxy.

Also the old nukes did not accelerate as fast as the new ones do thus making them avoidable. Again if you have a version of the game right before the mod patch it will be obvious or maybe someone can post a youtube video with the old nukes being used in a 1v1 or space fight.

Major

Post by Major » Fri May 13, 2011 5:02 am

Dave34 wrote:Slow down nukes a bit.
Please do not reduce nuke speed... This would affect mod severs and ruin things again. Instead, increase base ship stats!!!

-OR-

I believe nukes should fire from the inertia of the ships they launched from. This would both increase and reduce nuke speed. Adding player skill to fireing and avoiding in respect to agreed pvp.

team raping would also stay intact IMO.

deathstar: thats called "inertia"

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 13, 2011 5:26 am

Well thats the problem, in order to have nukes returned to the old style they need to be changed only on the no-mod servers. I don't know if this is possible but I think if you added 2 flights or 2 thrust modules it would be a good start. Will need some tweaking but it is possible.

As far as the tracking, they should be returned to pre mod settings, remember it's not only just the speed of the nukes that is different it's also the way the nukes travel throughout space towards the target.

bluesky

Post by bluesky » Fri May 13, 2011 7:21 am

pbn4ever wrote:IGS is much more balanced this way. with the 9k top speed. it would just catch anything on no mod servers and nuke them basically an auto kill with igs and nukes. the lowered speed gives an equal playing field in speed, but it still has advantage in many other areas, like thrust, turning, energy. even compared to CEO. IGS still wins.
WeGotDeathStar wrote:Nukes took skill to outrun then, now with the IGS slowed down you just made it even easier to kill.
Like pbn says, the game is more balanced. This would mean to win fights you need more skill, not just more firepower and a faster ship.

If the IGS is easier to kill then surely this would increase token sales, as those who want one may be killed more often.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 am

Dave34 wrote:Slow down nukes a bit.
on GA

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:If you happen to have a old version of the game ... Again if you have a version of the game
I don't. But things like their thrust power, and their targetting behavior can be changed from the way are now, if you are capable of choosing which particular aspect of them is most important to be changed from the way they are now, and if you are capable of accurately describing that change and having others agree with you that this change would be for the best. This change would need to be described relative to the way they are now, not any way they were in the past because, as I said, i don't know how they were in the past. If you know how they were, that's great, you can use that to base your suggestion on, but the suggestion must be made relative to the way they are now because that's the only way I can know what way to alter them from the way they are now.

River:

Post by River: » Fri May 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Increase base ships stats ie: flights stats and thrust stats on GA and we'll let you know if that will suffice :D

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 pm

IGS was nerfed? That's good. I used the igs and admit it's an over powered piece of turd. Can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? Even with this nerf it still pwns the ceo.

And nukes are facing a nerf as well? Good job toonces.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
Toonces wrote:The Intergalactics' Ship top speed was reduced by 5% to make up for having its hardware bays doubled from 8 to 16, which happened a few months ago and made the IGS, in my opinion, a little too powerful even for a token-bought ship.

So why does this ship cost $10 when it is no better then a Ceo ship now? There was nothing wrong with it, stop listening to the crybabies. And if the 16 hardware was so OP why didn't you remove it then? The IGS was a perfect all around ship minus the usless secondary weapon. Now other then the 16 Hardware I can hardly justify buying one on a new server.

Honestly 3/4 of the other ships are essentially useless for any meaningful gameplay. Maybe it's time for some new ships instead of changing ship settings around and potentially hurting token sales.

As far as pbn goes....IGS is not any faster then any other ship. You act like it was double the speed which it is not. Your not catching anyone that has a half a system lead on you regardless of what you have on a no-mod server.
Yes. Don't listen to Death. Also don't listen to anyone else who has a complaint about the game because everyone is a cry baby and should all be ignored.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 pm

I don't understand bardock, you were one of the first players that got all pissed when the nukes got changed and the pvp aspect of the game was trashed. You being a good 1v1 player and now everything's just fine?

A lot of players would like to have the old nuke physics returned to pre-mod settings, as far as the 16 hardware...put it back to 8...I could care less. You being a player that likes to do 1v1's it would seem this would be something you would enjoy based upon your previous posts in the past.

Like dave said, download a old version of the game pre-mod and don't patch it. This will show how the old nukes behaved and will help to hopefully return them to the old settings.

Henry

Post by Henry » Fri May 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Ok, for GA and any other premod server that your going to make, increase all ship stats, or just provide extra dex, or something, but again, just in premod servers. Modded servers are fine how they are... if you like mods anyway. Premod servers shouldn't have any patches affecting them that came after mods.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 pm

TOONCES I LOVE YOU.

omg old nukes. it'd be a freaking awesome birthday present.