Should a "Military Lock" be created to protect a players col

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should a "Military Lock" be created to protect a players colony from wrongdoing?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Yes, please create a "Military Lock" to prevent colonies from being invaded easily.
46%
No, leave the game the way it is and continue to have new players colonies stolen by seedy players
54%

Total votes: 28

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Re: Should a "Military Lock" be created to protect a players

Post by KUKA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 am

gamanche wrote:so now i cant get my corpmates to change my solar if its too high or too low like i have been for years?

all these cry babys are just gonna hug up the game because they cant trust there own corpmates.

DO NOT IMPLEMENT STUPID SOLAR LOCK!

Why are so many people having such a hard time understanding what "optional" means?

Gamanche, with what is being proposed you could elect to keep playing exactly the way you do now. Just don't choose to lock your cols. You would be unaffected unless you choose to be. If you corpies don't trust you and choose to lock, then you can choose to replace them with corpies who will trust you. There are choices here -nothing being shoved down everyone's throat like some claim mods were.

falcon00

Post by falcon00 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

now that i think about it this would b a great idea only if we get to choose if we want it or not

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm

gamanche wrote:so now i cant get my corpmates to change my solar if its too high or too low like i have been for years?

all these cry babys are just gonna hug up the game because they cant trust there own corpmates.

We're proposing an optional lock, dewd. You don't have to change anything if you don't want to.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 pm

im still against this military lock.. i think being a good judge of character is an important part of the game, and that trust within a corp is equally vital.

i also dont think that the players that would quit when they encounter a setback are the ones that wont quit anyway if this idea is implemented. that sentence made more sense when i was writing it than reading it 0.o what i mean is.. if a player is that easily discouraged then this game needs a LOT more changes for them to continue playing.. or else they're just gonna get targeted, or cry because they were called names, etc. toughen them up from the start or they'll fail anyway is my thought.

i also dont like that this patch would limit the ability of PW guessers to harm a corp.

hey! you know what, why dont we just get rid of npcs and invading and PKing. make all the servers pax so that new players dont have to worry about getting hurted!

the threat of great harm as the result of stupidity is essential. if this idea is implemented SGE will turn into a wild and crazy guy game for a bunch of teenage girls.

edit: had to take some BS out because i read that the military lock was optional :P i swear those messages werent there before! 0.o

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

Again any changes made to the cols would be optional, how about some sort of "probation" for somebody that joins a corp. Say like 10 days before they can touch any settings.

Given the attention span of many people this will deter anyone joining a corp with the sole intention of stealing colonies. Besides if you want to screw a corpie over you can just torp out guns on a colony like it's been done for years with contractors. Ive lost a few good planets having this done to me.

Nobody is forcing this change onto anyone it is meant to help new players and old players alike, New players need to be put into corps and be trained on how to play the game effectively.

Nothing changes if you decide to not check a military lock feature on a colony and it should be done on individual colonies, not all of them.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 am

Do you guys not read previous posts? Here it is again...
Jeb wrote:

Remotely password protected maybe? i.e, you can change it from afar, but it still works in the way it should? They enter a code, they can access it, but you can change after to avoid traitors...?

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:31 am

apparently more people DO NOT WANT it, look at the votes people, its all about the NUMBERS!

falcon00

Post by falcon00 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm

yes the no is winning but it needs to turn around cause it is a really good idea

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm

falcon00 wrote:yes the no is winning but it needs to turn around cause it is a really good idea
very convincing argument.

edit: the poll options are very biased for any pro-lock person who didnt notice, as im sure the anti-locks did xD

poll bias - it matters! however, i dont think angry used it very effectively in this instance.

oh, i just thought of something. how would the lock work? when you make or cap a col is it auto-locked? i think that would be good, but when the change comes in.. it shouldnt auto lock existing cols. that would be very annoying for the majority of people who DO trust their corpies. and the auto-lock for future domed/invaded cols is so that the newbies who must have limited intelligence to be needing this patch dont have to figure out what all those buttons and commands and things mean before they start playing the game.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Yes obviously this poll has been polluted by bias. It's a shame because this idea can only help the game, not hurt it in anyway. But it seem apparent that some people wish to keep dirty gameplay going and have no concern for the future of this game.

I guess the concept of optional really is a hard thing to grasp, just like having colonies that can be put on personal this military lock seems to be a difficult concept to grasp.

I really would have thought better of certain veterans that still play this game but is is apparent that certain people seem to think this game is exclusively for them and have no regard for new players enjoying the game for more then a week or two.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 am

Screw the polls, i got money.

Toonces says he's going to put it in. And he should. I think this will help new players have a chance of getting into top corps and getting a chance to really play the game.

If this setting was optional, who honestly cares and why would you complain about a safety lock on colonies? Trust has little to do with shutting off solars. You never know when your so called 'trusted' friend/ally might decide to randomly hug you over. You never know. There are stories of 'trusted' people doing said things.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 am

BardockSGE wrote:Screw the polls, i got money.

Toonces says he's going to put it in. And he should. I think this will help new players have a chance of getting into top corps and getting a chance to really play the game.

If this setting was optional, who honestly cares and why would you complain about a safety lock on colonies? Trust has little to do with shutting off solars. You never know when your so called 'trusted' friend/ally might decide to randomly hug you over. You never know. There are stories of 'trusted' people doing said things.
ROFL AT FIRST SENTENCE

and Bardock that just means their good liars, a skill that espionage players can use to their atvantage.

I want something to protect nubs, but I dont want something that will ruin espionage players because its THE CEO'S fault for letting him in anywho. If you can't be a good judge of character then you shouldn't be running a corp.

and if ur a good liar, good for you.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:03 am

what mel said!..trust the people you let into your corp,end of discussion

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:27 am

Can somebody tell me the real reason you guys oppose this?

Don't give me this 'trust your corpies' garbage. Give me the real reason.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

gamanche wrote:apparently more people DO NOT WANT it, look at the votes people, its all about the NUMBERS!
Actually no it isn't. Software design is not dictated by mob rule. In cases where the results have been overwhelmingly for one option or another, Toonces has tended to listen regardless to his better instincts. In this case the community seems basically split down the middle, which means the decision will come down to Toonces' view of what best balances the game and provides the best gameplay.

So far it seems the arguments FOR is are (1) to make servers more noob-friendly, making it easier for them to join vet corps, and (2) to take away the one most imbalanced and discouraging ways people can be betrayed. The arguments AGAINST it have been a combination of (1) "because then I can't be a teletubby as easily", (2) because about 55% of the votes say no so no, (3) because I don't unerstand what optional" means, and (4) because it'll not always be as easy to alter settings when defending someone else's colonies, assuming they use the feature. The last one and arguably the first one (if you think rampant douchebaggery are essential to your ability to enjoy the game) are real reasons, but don't seem to counterbalance the pros of doing this, especially in light of the "optional" nature of it.

falcon00

Post by falcon00 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 pm

the military lock is also a good idea cuz it will challenge the players more and make ppl want to invade more it might just help the game continue and get better...

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 am

falcon00 wrote:the military lock is also a good idea cuz it will challenge the players more and make ppl want to invade more it might just help the game continue and get better...
I nominate Falcon00 to be Miss Starport Galatic Empires of 2011.

All in favor say 'aye'.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:52 am

I still think if u get betrayed it's your own dumb donkey fault. W/e

CrazyGardenGnome

Post by CrazyGardenGnome » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 am

BardockSGE wrote: I nominate Falcon00 to be Miss Starport Galatic Empires of 2011.

All in favor say 'aye'.
aye

I think this is a good idea. For those that don't like it, there is an easy solution, don't use it, it's optional.

The only people this would hurt is the talentless scum that go around selling solars.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 pm

CrazyGardenGnome wrote:
BardockSGE wrote: I nominate Falcon00 to be Miss Starport Galatic Empires of 2011.

All in favor say 'aye'.
aye

I think this is a good idea. For those that don't like it, there is an easy solution, don't use it, it's optional.

The only people this would hurt is the talentless scum that go around selling solars.

Ah but solar selling is such a talent.
No? Well the person has to trick the people into believing he is corporate material. Then he has to play his part to the fullest. Thats why corps need to be more strict on activity and what their corpmates are doing. It all comes down to the fact that people shouldn't just let people into their corp for who they think they are, they should know the person before corping with them /facepalm.

Espionage ftw.

PS: I have been a victim of this from Copler, only the situation was slightly different - and I still support it. :roll:

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

KUKA can appreciate that the people who don't want locks enjoy the espionage/sabotage aspect of the game, and see this as taking away from that facet of the game.

But many of those same people have made arguments in the past for implementing/dropping features that would make the game more newb-friendly so the community can grow. Fact is that having this lock would make many vets more likely to corp with newbs since the damage done by a saboteur would be reduced. Sure, they can still jet colonists, sell bio3's, prison tax at 20%, and do other things to mess up colonies and/or make them invadable. Sabotage will not die with this feature, and that's assuming people opt to use it. It just means that the cols they manage to nerf won't be worth as much to them - it will be more sabotage and less of a scam that benefits the scammer. And - to the bigger point - it will make the game more welcoming to newbs.

Everyone benefits from more people joining the community and being let into vet corps. Only the people who get a kick out of the sabotage aspect of the game benefit from this feature not being there.

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:Well replacing guns isnt a problem cause only the owner and ceo can move them. Anybody in the corp can drop guns. And as far as people invading you just make it so you can only increase military, not shut it off. Maybe make it so it can only be turned down to 25% max.

Also do a check list on who can change what settings. Say you have 5 corpies, one of which is a noobie just have the noobie not be able to touch anything.
All i have to say a out thisis meh. A person can simply reduce metal ore harvest to turn off a solar within a matter of hours/days

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:29 am

Toonces I am apathetic either way in terms of an optional solar lock, but dont make it automatic and permanent like defenses otherwise corporations will be really screwed up and it will make managin harder and.... Wait...

NEVER MIND no optional! CEO gets control of military and all the slider jazz :D this will make hardwork and intelligence important, bring back a little honor, and balance out the game in general.

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 am

Honor is held by individuals, it can't eb forced on someone, thats opression.

is that what you want? opression?

then you are a tyrant and will be swiftly dealt with.

Dax

Post by Dax » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 am

Manilla wrote:Honor is held by individuals, it can't eb forced on someone, thats opression.

BE QUITE YOU!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Manilla wrote:Honor is held by individuals, it can't eb forced on someone, thats opression.

toonces has the final say in all sge matters, not I. Besides me and madace both agree, most people suck and shouldnt be allowed to vote :P

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 am

No guts no glory.
can't have reward without risk.

they want to take a integral part in being cautious and intelligent about whoom you corp with out of the game. they want to make it a fantasy game where you can't lose.

if you're planets are being taken and your solars sold GO PLAY PAX nobody can take your solarless colonies there :D what a concept.

Mizro

Post by Mizro » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:26 am

Manilla wrote:No guts no glory.

they want to take a integral part in being cautious and intelligent about whoom you corp with out of the game. they want to make it a fantasy game where you can't lose.

if you're planets are being taken and your solars sold GO PLAY PAX nobody can take your solarless colonies there :D what a concept.
of course u vote no, u sold all the solars in my corp on GA

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:58 am

Mizro wrote:

love to see your proof.

didn't do it, no proof on it, even starbucks can't provide evidence.

i logged on in sol after MY stuff was taken and had to pay 15,000 tokens just to get back two planets.

then i sit in system and on planets being invaded and try to fight them back, and i'm the bad guy.

thats totally logical.

theres a lot of "it was manilla" but NOBODY has shown me any evidence to back their claim up, i'm just the new guy in the corp so it must be my fault.

this is of course after mew demands i corp my colonies or i'll be kicked from the corp.

Mizro

Post by Mizro » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:47 am

Manilla wrote:
Mizro wrote:

love to see your proof.

didn't do it, no proof on it, even starbucks can't provide evidence.

i logged on in sol after MY stuff was taken and had to pay 15,000 tokens just to get back two planets.

then i sit in system and on planets being invaded and try to fight them back, and i'm the bad guy.

thats totally logical.

theres a lot of "it was manilla" but NOBODY has shown me any evidence to back their claim up, i'm just the new guy in the corp so it must be my fault.

this is of course after mew demands i corp my colonies or i'll be kicked from the corp.
well ur the only 1 that didnt lose followers... seems pretty suspicious to me, but this rly isnt the place to argue about it