Starport in 2010

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Moleman

Starport in 2010

Post by Moleman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Firstly let me say that this post is the genuine opinion of someone who has played and enjoyed Starport from its earliest days, I've met friends here and generally had a blast from 2006 to 2009 when I was most active.

I was on P1 invading for the first time in about a year last night and I'm just trying to understand why some things have changed so dramatically.

I was invading with Torps and Negs and while I was able to take the cols eventually everything is just a little bit slower and a little bit more laborious. The risk and reward balance is now skewed in favour of a more conservative approach rather than the gung-ho, slide a col and hope for the best approach of old, sliding a fully defended col now is pretty much 100% suicide.

I'm not trying to hark back to the 'good old days' neither is this an attack on Toonces for whom I'll always be grateful for providing such an amazing game that I've genuinely loved over the years... rather I post in the hope that a few tweaks could be made which I think would be supported by 99% of the player base, namely,

Raise the base ship stats again, namely energy regen and turning.
Restore the Torps potency, leave the SM just as they are.

That's it, this game used to be all about speed! And speed = fun! :mrgreen:

Work/Wife/Kids mean that I don't have time to really play anymore but I would love to see some of the thrills come back to SGE and for some of the newer players to be able to experience how exciting it used to be!

I think its quite telling that its been a long time since anyone was able to make a really exciting invasion video, the reality is that 99% of the content in the video sticky would be impossible with the current setup.

Please don't delete this Toonce, I would like a reasonable, flame-free conversation on how feasible (or not) it is to return the ships to their pre-mod stats.

moleman

Sparty

Re: Starport in 2010

Post by Sparty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:34 pm

That sums up my thoughts 100% moley, the speed and risk is gone... there have been many changes that have been made, and invading can never really return to what it was, with cmines etc. But even just that extra energy and turning would help things immensely :D...

Well said moley :D

-sparty

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:58 pm

moleman is right

Woots

Post by Woots » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Moleman knows all :D

Yesh, make torps stronger cuz they don't bounce or home in on turrets

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Woots wrote:Yesh, make torps stronger cuz they don't bounce or home in on turrets
All I'm suggesting is that they go back to their original strength, it used to take 4-6 torps to kill a laser, now its at least 10 shots per kill.

Using torps to invade a colony with a decent solar was always a high-risk/high-reward tactic, nerfing them seems slightly unbalanced. SM's on the other hand were waay overpowered when they first became available as a mod, their new strength seems about right.

moleman

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Yep. Enough said.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:43 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:Yep. Enough said.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Can we only make the damage of torps against lazers a higher amount? I like torps doing less damge so that 1v1's are longer :>>

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:44 pm

I agree with moley.

The defenses do however vary GREATLY now, in the amount of damage they can take. I have seen 1 neg kill a turret, then again last night i had to resheild 6 times before a single space turret died to grav and firewave :shock:

duece

Post by duece » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:55 pm

I agree with this 100%.

Though they didn't exactly nerf torps, just made it so the farther off of center you hit the less damage it does. If you hit perfectly each time then it's still the 6 hits it was back then.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Ship stats is only part of it though.. Every colony being 10/120 itself makes sliding suicide.

Personally, I like multi solar canons. I preferred it when each solar would cost you 50 Metal Ore per burst, compared to the 25 now.

That way, you can have a 10 shot solar. But, you gotta sacrifice SOME military. And vice versa, want good military, sacrifice a solar shot or two. It worked much better that way, in my opinion, most of you probably don't agree seeing as how everyone wants a gigantic donkey monster solar canon, right? Whatev.

Good Post Moleman.

Sparty

Post by Sparty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm

i never thought i would say this...

but i think i might agree with Bardock....

-sparty

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:41 pm

I don't think this will be a popular opinion, but I sort of enjoy the weak planetary defenses on blitzkrieg - at least as far as speeding up the process of invading.

I'm not saying that they should be quite THAT weak, but I don't really see anything wrong with weakening laser and flak cannons overall.

Daven

Post by Daven » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Barefoot wrote:I don't think this will be a popular opinion, but I sort of enjoy the weak planetary defenses on blitzkrieg - at least as far as speeding up the process of invading.

I'm not saying that they should be quite THAT weak, but I don't really see anything wrong with weakening laser and flak cannons overall.
Stop right there, no more nerfs, if you want something make something stronger, not something weaker. Nerfs have made this game slow and tedious.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:31 am

We just want our old game back to the way it was that's all.

Torping cols was a blast, I did that on P3 in the bottom dead leg with SULK and eventually owned all of it. And it was a blast doing it.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 am

Daven wrote:
Barefoot wrote:I don't think this will be a popular opinion, but I sort of enjoy the weak planetary defenses on blitzkrieg - at least as far as speeding up the process of invading.

Stop right there, no more nerfs, if you want something make something stronger, not something weaker. Nerfs have made this game slow and tedious.
Those nerfs have been on WEAPONS, not planetary defense. How in the world would this make the game slower and more tedious? Did you even read what I wrote?

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:55 am

Don't dwell on it he meant well.

Edit: I do not support nerfing the solar cannon to the degree specified. I think the speed of the shots and rate of fire is fine where it's at, though I thinkt he solar cost could be upped to..say 30 or 35. Nothing drastic.

salligator

Post by salligator » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 am

I wouldn't be too upset if solar cost went back to 50 ore per burst, but I would love to see torps boosted, they're usefulness has been plummeting ever since mods were added, negs in port made them even more worthless, hell even the 16 slot IGS probably dropped their value even more. Torps don't track, they don't bounce, they do cause splash fire, so an improvement in torp's damage would make the salligator very happy.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 am

Moleman wrote:Firstly let me say that this post is the genuine opinion of someone who has played and enjoyed Starport from its earliest days, I've met friends here and generally had a blast from 2006 to 2009 when I was most active.

I was on P1 invading for the first time in about a year last night and I'm just trying to understand why some things have changed so dramatically.

I was invading with Torps and Negs and while I was able to take the cols eventually everything is just a little bit slower and a little bit more laborious. The risk and reward balance is now skewed in favour of a more conservative approach rather than the gung-ho, slide a col and hope for the best approach of old, sliding a fully defended col now is pretty much 100% suicide.

I'm not trying to hark back to the 'good old days' neither is this an attack on Toonces for whom I'll always be grateful for providing such an amazing game that I've genuinely loved over the years... rather I post in the hope that a few tweaks could be made which I think would be supported by 99% of the player base, namely,

Work/Wife/Kids mean that I don't have time to really play anymore but I would love to see some of the thrills come back to SGE and for some of the newer players to be able to experience how exciting it used to be!

I think its quite telling that its been a long time since anyone was able to make a really exciting invasion video, the reality is that 99% of the content in the video sticky would be impossible with the current setup.

Please don't delete this Toonce, I would like a reasonable, flame-free conversation on how feasible (or not) it is to return the ships to their pre-mod stats.

moleman
My constructive feedback:

It's hard to believe ship speed makes such a huge difference, but all I know is that Classic had almost all 10 120's and I had no problem invading them solo and I had some really sick caps there... some of my best. But now invading solo is like not even worth it. Ands its all business... take out all the lazors and get some1 to ds.... boring. Solars are soo much faster than ships now.

I haven't invaded too much on mod servers cause I find them boring as BBQ. Its all about you mod setup and not about your skill. That gets boring fast. LOOK AT ME i HAVE 8 NEUTRINOS! (and my ship moves like a boat).

Also negs at ports.. dun rly like. It completely takes away all strategy around protecting territory.

Also the fact 1 vs 1s are gone is sad that was an excitign part of sge.

Also maybe make some of the new layouts (especially the ones in my colony defenses guide) more rare... cause some of them are just way overpowered. I miss rings :(

HAVING SAID ALL THIS OBVIOUSLY THERE ARE TONS OF AWESOME THINGS ABOUT SGE BUT THAT LIST IS TOO LONG.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 am

inevamis wrote:
Moleman wrote:Firstly let me say that this post is the genuine opinion of someone who has played and enjoyed Starport from its earliest days, I've met friends here and generally had a blast from 2006 to 2009 when I was most active.

moleman
My constructive feedback:

It's hard to believe ship speed makes such a huge difference, but all I know is that Classic had almost all 10 120's and I had no problem invading them solo and I had some really sick caps there... some of my best. But now invading solo is like not even worth it. Ands its all business... take out all the lazors and get some1 to ds.... boring. Solars are soo much faster than ships now.

I haven't invaded too much on mod servers cause I find them boring as BBQ. Its all about you mod setup and not about your skill. That gets boring fast. LOOK AT ME i HAVE 8 NEUTRINOS! (and my ship moves like a boat).

Also negs at ports.. dun rly like. It completely takes away all strategy around protecting territory.

Also the fact 1 vs 1s are gone is sad that was an excitign part of sge.

Also maybe make some of the new layouts (especially the ones in my colony defenses guide) more rare... cause some of them are just way overpowered. I miss rings :(

HAVING SAID ALL THIS OBVIOUSLY THERE ARE TONS OF AWESOME THINGS ABOUT SGE BUT THAT LIST IS TOO LONG.
I agree with everything inev said. espcially all those boss layouts D:

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:26 am

Some good feed back guys however I don't want the core point here to be lost, there are good arguments for all that you are suggesting but basically I think we can all agree that the most enjoyable parts of the PK servers gameplay, that which keeps players here, i.e. wars, invasions, fights, etc, will be improved by simply,

Making the ships a little bit faster, a little bit quicker to turn and energy regen increased a little more.

This will, without question make them more fun to fly and by extension the game more fun to play, remember, Speed = Fun! :mrgreen:

I would also like to hear an opposing point of view if there is anyone who feels the game is better with the ship stats diminished as they are?

moleman

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 am

Moleman wrote:Some good feed back guys however I don't want the core point here to be lost, there are good arguments for all that you are suggesting but basically I think we can all agree that the most enjoyable parts of the PK servers gameplay, that which keeps players here, i.e. wars, invasions, fights, etc, will be improved by simply,

Making the ships a little bit faster, a little bit quicker to turn and energy regen increased a little more.

This will, without question make them more fun to fly and by extension the game more fun to play, remember, Speed = Fun! :mrgreen:

I would also like to hear an opposing point of view if there is anyone who feels the game is better with the ship stats diminished as they are?

moleman
Yes you are right Moleman sorry for my little tangent XD . I;ve actually said pretty much this exact thing before as have a few other people. I think most of us referred though to The Old Republic server. But I have found ships to feel slow even on mod servers with all the dexterity, speed and energy related mods added.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:11 am

inevamis wrote:
Moleman wrote:Some good feed back guys however I don't want the core point here to be lost, there are good arguments for all that you are suggesting but basically I think we can all agree that the most enjoyable parts of the PK servers gameplay, that which keeps players here, i.e. wars, invasions, fights, etc, will be improved by simply,

moleman
Yes you are right Moleman sorry for my little tangent XD . I;ve actually said pretty much this exact thing before as have a few other people. I think most of us referred though to The Old Republic server. But I have found ships to feel slow even on mod servers with all the dexterity, speed and energy related mods added.
This is my point exactly! Even loading up on energy regen and turning mods the ships still don't handle quite as well as they used to, the heart pounding, adrenaline rush, high risk invasions of old are no longer possible...

I don't quite understand why making everything slower and slightly more sluggish is a good thing?

Again, please, if anyone wants to make a counter argument then it would be great to discuss it!

moleman

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 pm

This is why I love blitz, the ability to dome-slide a colony, or slide past defences etc to cap, normal SGE doesnt have this anymore, you wanna take a fully defended col? You have to get rid of every single laser in front of the dome, dome-slides are impossible.

100% agree with the mole.

Long Live the Mole!

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Moleman wrote: I don't quite understand why making everything slower and slightly more sluggish is a good thing?

Again, please, if anyone wants to make a counter argument then it would be great to discuss it!
The reason is because there are new artifacts and mods on the way to increase speeds. For example, upgraded flight mods. The reason for the mods is so that people can make "new ships" for themselves in many different combinations.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Toonces wrote:
Moleman wrote: I don't quite understand why making everything slower and slightly more sluggish is a good thing?

The reason is because there are new artifacts and mods on the way to increase speeds. For example, upgraded flight mods. The reason for the mods is so that people can make "new ships" for themselves in many different combinations.
So in effect the distance between no fun and fun has been increased by adding an extra obstacle, being the acquisition of the right mods in order to have fun.

SGE wasn't, isn't and should never be a regular mmo clone in the sense that you have the illusion of creating "your own" ship/character/toon/whatever while in reality there are only a very limited number of viable set-ups.

It would have been much more interesting to save all those unused ships by giving them their own niche with pro's and con's. THis would have made SGE a little more like Team Fortress 2. After all, its combat and play-style is a lot more akin to a twitch based shooter than to a clicky WoW clone.

Bartimaeus

Post by Bartimaeus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 pm

I think the game would be improved if:

- Neutron platins either got nerfed or deleted (invading anything with neutrons is easy.. what's the point in having modules other than tank ones?).
- Solar shots etc. are fine for expert servers, but for easy galaxies everything is maxed out.. :/
- {reffering to moleman's comments on ship base stats}

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Toonces wrote:

So how does that help people on TOR where there are no mods and arties are unavailable? That is the server I was talking about when i had to resheild 6 times before 1 turret died

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Toonces wrote:

woawoawoa let's not be too hasty here toonces. We want faster/better ships and less powerful mods to bring back some skill, while leaving ships able to be unique. Better flight mods are kinda overkill, I fly with 6 and an ab cause I love speed and being able to almost always outrun nukes. But I have to admit with better flights it would be too easy to do such a thing, not to mention invading would just be lolZmasauce. the new artifacts sound...interesting I guess, I'm just vaguely worried about balance issues.

duece

Post by duece » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Toonces wrote:

But people will customize how they like regardless, why not just raise the average if it makes the game more exciting?

Also I want to say I like what plates have done to invading as a balance to new layouts + cmines + 10 shot solars. But they definitely get overpowered when they stack, maybe make a diminishing return once you use too many?