List of Solar Sellers

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Dax

Re: List of Solar Sellers

Post by Dax » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am

This is a quote from Dark-Slayer who for some reason is not able to post anything on the forum but is able to PM.
Dark-Slayer wrote:Been reading forums,
Yes, Dax. Anyone can sell solars if they are properly motivated. But the thing about this is, how do you tell who sells solars or not? :?:
I am PMing you because i do not yet have rights to post replies or start polls/topics :|
Really close online friends whom you have invaded with and never against b4, players you've trusted with your exp, creds, and cols. Players who would go 50 hops and with no blackhole to come to your aid anytime if asked and if able. Players who would sooner quit the game then betray you by selling solars is how you can tell who can and will but won't sell YOUR solars.

I hope that helped. See you in game!

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:28 am

This aspect of gameplay is why vets won't allow unknown players or new players into their corps. Too much to risk. Some will argue that it's a tactic, and therefore a viable way to win a war. Others will argue that this type of under handed gameplay ruins the ability to allow people to join and learn from those in a position to have enough resources to teach.

In the end you're known by your actions, and if you're a backstabbing toad, then your reputation may follow you for much longer than you wish. People remember those that helped, those that teach, and they NEVER forget the ones that screwed them over. It's a game and you learn to deal with it, but I guarantee it's unlikely you'll make friends or be welcomed in another corporation if they know of your past deeds.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:13 pm

MutedJazz wrote:
Mondaydark wrote:War is War I've never sold a solar but I've turned it off before. It takes real skill to talk some complete stranger in to there corp....Tip i give you don't let anybody in you don't know. There are no rules of engagement really when its war you can do anything you want that can win. It might not be very honorable but losing is less.
Selling or turning off solars defeats the purpose of the game... If you are into starport to be the guy that has the most followers and exp, then you are in it for the wrong reasons. People like these (those that need to feel like they are on top of an online game's leaderboard) aren't playing the game right.

I'd rather play with Duece, Einz, and Papa.John, three of the best invaders in the game, and die all the time attempting impossible slides than sit back and whore off cols that I didn't cap legitimately.

Watching my follower count rise is boring unless I am building or invading head on and seeing the results of my play time. (not "work" because this is a game)

I pity those that think they are good from capping solarless planets and buying cols and saying they are the best. If I had the time/will to do it, I'd try and take you down with my crew. But don't expect anybody I play with to ask someone to shut off solars. That defeats the purpose of the game.
/agree with Jazz

In response to MondayDark....

I've always felt the fun in this game was the means to an end, not the end itself. This game really isn't about having tons of cash, colonies, and exp - it's the process that you take to attempt to attain these things that makes it enjoyable. Those who suck at this process are the ones that resort to cheap tactics. Turning off solars literally defeats the purpose of the game. If you simply want to feel good about yourself (owning colonies, having tons of cash and exp) I'd suggest you go buy yourself a maxed Runescape account. That's basically what you do when you have people turn off solars for you.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok, it seems that PurpleHaze and Pirate are the new solar sellers on The Golden Age. Poor guys got burned good by these two players. Watch out

Toonce, this has become a huge problem in this game and is causing people to quit. It's not good for business to keep this happening.

I've asked that you implement some sort of military lock on the colonies so only the owner can adjust settings. Please think about doing this in the next patch, It won't hurt anything and will be a huge improvement in game morale.

If we want to keep ppl playing this game we need to train them by letting them into corps, but this cannot be done cause it is too easy for someone to screw up a corps colonies and have them all invaded in one nite by another corp.

People that participate in solar selling are the biggest scum in this game and need to be taught a lesson, please do the right thing and put in a military lock on our colonies.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I Think u just need to trust your corpmates

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm

What I don't understand is the game really that hard that this needs to be done? If so perhaps it's time to look for another one

skynet

Post by skynet » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 pm

11th server was fun and active during my stint until they sold my solars... result-11th died.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 pm

skynet wrote:11th server was fun and active during my stint until they sold my solars... result-11th died.
11th started to die when blood pack quit playing there. You had absolutely nothing to do with it.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm

So there seem to be two camps here: (1) the "meh - just corp with people you trust" camp, and (2) the "please create a way for owners to protect their stuff from solar sellers" camp.

The problems with the first camp's position include:
  • New players starting the game already have a hard time getting into a corp, and as things are people are being discouraged to give them a shot because the possible consequences are too high. Reduce the possible consequences and you increase people working with newbs. That one person can erase 3 months or more of work in one night is too extreme of an imbalance in play - not worth taking chances on newbs as long as that's there.
  • New players have enough to learn about game mechanics without also having to learn who they can/can't trust. Vets right now may be able to laugh it off if they lose an empire to a jerk in one night, but what if you're a newb who just spent 3 months getting a foothold and then some arsehole sells you out? Think they will bother coming back to the game?
  • This doesn't answer the question of "why not?" put this feature in place? If you trust people and don't want to lock, then you can still play the game the way it is now. Nothing is taken from you. If you do want to lock, just to be safe, then you now have that option.
KUKA's recommendation is to create a "defensive lock" that makes it so - like contractors - corpies the can't remove resources below a certain level, the military and harvesting sliders can't move, and the solar shot # can't be changed. Sure, the people who want to screw their corpies can still jett all colonists, provide invaders with the colony's own nuks, tax it to death, and other naughtinesses. But the value of what gets taken drops and the time/hassle it takes to get it increases, reducing the potential imbalance caused by solar selling. There will always be ways to screw people, but erasing hundreds of hours of work in a few hours is just TOO imbalanced.

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 am

Ok here is the updated list, People to watch out for

Horus
Trillz
Watcher
Rahmkota
Purplehaze
Ise
Pirate
Erebus
Copler
Isenburg
Hornit
MAXXX
Relentless
Rainydude aka Exodus
Caine
Neox

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 am

You can add "purplehaze" to that list. He joined my corp on golden age, "Bad.Company", only to days later 0/0 all of our cols for an invading corp -- we lost everything (bout 50 zounds) in one night. All he did was help invade a couple of zounds and then betray us for apparently no reason. Trash player :/

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:21 am

Metatron wrote:You can add "purplehaze" to that list. He joined my corp on golden age, "Bad.Company", only to days later 0/0 all of our cols for an invading corp -- we lost everything (bout 50 zounds) in one night. All he did was help invade a couple of zounds and then betray us for apparently no reason. Trash player :/

This is the exact reason why this type of behavior needs to be stopped. By locking out the military features on a colony this will be stopped and will no way harm game play whatsoever.

I feel that anyone that has a problem with implementing this feature is themselves a person that would screw another player over for the sole reason of gaining colonies in a easy fashion.

We don't need anymore people quitting because of this exploit.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 am

PURPLEHAZE

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
Metatron wrote:You can add "purplehaze" to that list. He joined my corp on golden age, "Bad.Company", only to days later 0/0 all of our cols for an invading corp -- we lost everything (bout 50 zounds) in one night. All he did was help invade a couple of zounds and then betray us for apparently no reason. Trash player :/

This is the exact reason why this type of behavior needs to be stopped. By locking out the military features on a colony this will be stopped and will no way harm game play whatsoever.

I feel that anyone that has a problem with implementing this feature is themselves a person that would screw another player over for the sole reason of gaining colonies in a easy fashion.

We don't need anymore people quitting because of this exploit.
Real wars have espionage. thats why we have FBI and CIA.
why shouldn't game wars?

Real wars have sabetaurs and suicide bombers.
why shouldn't game wars?

Real wars have stupid people who make stupid decisions about the pepole they trust.
why shouldn't game wars?

if your uneducated and make a mistake and lose something thats how you learn.
if you're lucky you learned from someone else's mistake.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 am

Manilla wrote:
why shouldn't game wars?

why shouldn't game wars?

Real wars have stupid people who make stupid decisions about the pepole they trust.
why shouldn't game wars?

Are you implying that if you can't sell solars, you will no longer have espionage, betrayal, or saboteurs? Because there will obviously be room for PLENTY of it. This just addresses the most imbalanced consequence of betrayal.

Considering how many people whine in these forums about making the gam more newb-friendly, it's surprising that something like this isn't seen as an obvious way that corps would be more likely to take chances on newbs. You want to just corp with people you know and never lock anything? Fine - this allows for that. Want to invite in a bunch of peope you don't know and expand your "circle", but without the risk of losing 50 cols in one night? Well THIS would make that far more possible. Sure they could still jet all your colonists, take your cash, and other forms of sabotage, but you won't go from you having 50 full cols to someone else having them just because you slept for 8 hours...

kenoneill

Post by kenoneill » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 am

i say let a ceo designate ranks in a corp. vice presidents can change solar and other settings and move stuff on other ppls cols, nxt lvl down can change settings but not defenses,nxt level down can do nothing on corp cols. obviously ppl can still do as they please with there own cols in a corp.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 pm

kenoneill wrote:i say let a ceo designate ranks in a corp. vice presidents can change solar and other settings and move stuff on other ppls cols, nxt lvl down can change settings but not defenses,nxt level down can do nothing on corp cols. obviously ppl can still do as they please with there own cols in a corp.
Actualy that's a pretty @#$%ing great idea. KUKA likes.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 am

Ja I have to say its good ken...

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 am

KUKA wrote:
kenoneill wrote:i say let a ceo designate ranks in a corp. vice presidents can change solar and other settings and move stuff on other ppls cols, nxt lvl down can change settings but not defenses,nxt level down can do nothing on corp cols. obviously ppl can still do as they please with there own cols in a corp.
Actualy that's a pretty @#$%ing great idea. KUKA likes.
I also like this idea. That would be pretty cool!

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 am

KUKA wrote:
Manilla wrote:
why shouldn't game wars?

why shouldn't game wars?

why shouldn't game wars?

Are you implying that if you can't sell solars, you will no longer have espionage, betrayal, or saboteurs? Because there will obviously be room for PLENTY of it. This just addresses the most imbalanced consequence of betrayal.

Considering how many people whine in these forums about making the gam more newb-friendly, it's surprising that something like this isn't seen as an obvious way that corps would be more likely to take chances on newbs. You want to just corp with people you know and never lock anything? Fine - this allows for that. Want to invite in a bunch of peope you don't know and expand your "circle", but without the risk of losing 50 cols in one night? Well THIS would make that far more possible. Sure they could still jet all your colonists, take your cash, and other forms of sabotage, but you won't go from you having 50 full cols to someone else having them just because you slept for 8 hours...

i'm implying that i don't think you should be able to limit the destruction you bring upon yourself for action like an idiot.

Faint

Post by Faint » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Manilla your nothing but a peice of BBQ player who leeches/solar sells/sucks male chicken to anyone whos got more money/tokens than you. btw i want your vent info again man we'll have a little talk one day hahaha ;)

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Manilla wrote:
i'm implying that i don't think you should be able to limit the destruction you bring upon yourself for action like an idiot.
That's kind of the whole point of this change. Rigt now you have to be an idiot to corp with someone you don't know - especially a newb - because of the degree of havoc they can wreck AND then gain from it. With this change it wouldn't make you an idiot to corp with someone new, giving more of an opening for new players to get into the game. You can corp wth someone new, OPT into locking the cols you value, and then - if they choose to screw you - at least they won't gain as much. They can STILL do alot of things to hurt you just about as badly, but at least they don't come out ahead themselves. For example, they can sell all bio3's, change government to prison, and tax 20. They could still jet all of your colonists. Either way you're screwed, but then again at least THEY don't walk away with 50 perfectly good colonies in the process. This HARDLY protects you from sabotage, it just doesn't make it so the perpetrator walks away with an Empire themselves. There will STILL be people who won't corp with newbs/strangers because of this, but at least it makes things far less rediculously imbalanced.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 pm

KUKA wrote:
Manilla wrote:
That's kind of the whole point of this change. Rigt now you have to be an idiot to corp with someone you don't know - especially a newb - because of the degree of havoc they can wreck AND then gain from it. With this change it wouldn't make you an idiot to corp with someone new, giving more of an opening for new players to get into the game. You can corp wth someone new, OPT into locking the cols you value, and then - if they choose to screw you - at least they won't gain as much. They can STILL do alot of things to hurt you just about as badly, but at least they don't come out ahead themselves. For example, they can sell all bio3's, change government to prison, and tax 20. They could still jet all of your colonists. Either way you're screwed, but then again at least THEY don't walk away with 50 perfectly good colonies in the process. This HARDLY protects you from sabotage, it just doesn't make it so the perpetrator walks away with an Empire themselves. There will STILL be people who won't corp with newbs/strangers because of this, but at least it makes things far less rediculously imbalanced.
As this has never happened to me I have always been firmly in the 'be careful who you corp with and you'll be fine' camp however I have the advantage of years of game experience and knowing who to trust, a new player doesn't have this advantage.

In light of this I can see how a lock option would make people more willing to give access to their corps to new players which I guess can only be a good thing... It also, as KUKA has said, still allows sabotage (which I quite like the idea of) to happen, albeit in a slightly less destructive way.

Sign me up to the 'yes' camp! ;)

moleman

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:44 am

I say a type of 'lock' would help -keep- new players, which means more token sales, and as you all know, Bardock promotes the sales of tokens. Because that means these guys are supporting our free gaming. ;) On top of that, the more tokens in circulation, the better for us free players, right?

And sabotage would still be in the game. Issue is, going around selling bio3's and jetting all the pop, well, it takes more time and is less profitable than simply turning off a solar. Harder work would discourage some 'thieves'. Which I'm completely in favor for.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 pm

BardockSGE wrote:I say a type of 'lock' would help -keep- new players, which means more token sales, and as you all know, Bardock promotes the sales of tokens. Because that means these guys are supporting our free gaming. ;) On top of that, the more tokens in circulation, the better for us free players, right?

And sabotage would still be in the game. Issue is, going around selling bio3's and jetting all the pop, well, it takes more time and is less profitable than simply turning off a solar. Harder work would discourage some 'thieves'. Which I'm completely in favor for.

QFT

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, you can add Jaina to that list. Also you can add dallas and s1lver (knocturnal in this pic) to the list by conspiring with her. Hey wegotdeathstar, your corpies stole a whole bunch of my corpies cols via solar selling :|

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 pm

she seemed like a nice girl; I was considering respecting her neutrality :?

But you've made it a very easy decision :)

Unless of course those are a bunch of junks they capped quickly, and she happened to be around them and recapped.. but highly unlikely

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Barefoot wrote:Well, you can add Jaina to that list. Also you can add dallas and s1lver (knocturnal in this pic) to the list by conspiring with her. Hey wegotdeathstar, your corpies stole a whole bunch of my corpies cols via solar selling :|

im coming back to ga just to invade jaina becuz of this :D

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:23 am

Saber-Fury wrote:she seemed like a nice girl; I was considering respecting her neutrality :?

But you've made it a very easy decision :)

Unless of course those are a bunch of junks they capped quickly, and she happened to be around them and recapped.. but highly unlikely
Nah it was 800k followers worth of cols.

leaderkiller

Post by leaderkiller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:12 pm

personally neox is a old pal and he would never do somthing of this sort.