What is a vet?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Major

What is a vet?

Post by Major » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm

I hear the term tossed out a bit recently and i care to hear from those that ARE vets what their interpretation is.

I know we have tons of lists and links to unkept's stuff. I'm also looking for the newer generation's of sgers that are about a year or two in to see how they feel about what constitutes a vet also.

/discuss

nine-breaker

Re: What is a vet?

Post by nine-breaker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Major wrote:I hear the term tossed out a bit recently and i care to hear from those that ARE vets what their interpretation is.

I know we have tons of lists and links to unkept's stuff. I'm also looking for the newer generation's of sgers that are about a year or two in to see how they feel about what constitutes a vet also.

/discuss
Well I consider a vet some one who has an avid understanding of the game, helps before they hurt, and hurts when helping fails.

A vet is some one who can take a nuke from a noob, cause they thought you were an npc, and not turn around and rofl stomp them.

A vet is some one who gets accused of hacking when he never has

A vet is some one who laughs when some one else says " selling 45k empire"

A vet is some one who gets into an argument with Toonces, and ends it when their iq has dropped into the negative numbers

A vet is some one who says they quit but still pop on everyonce in a while for a week or so, every couple days...

Did that help at all?

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 am

Someone who's been playing the game long enough to know pretty much 100% of the game.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 am

Someone who has kicked it with some of the big dogs of the game for reasons other than cleaning :wink:

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:52 am

Someone thats played for more then 2months...(These days everyones a vet-.- grow up haha) Some one who knows the game(That rules out toonces. haha jk)

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:35 am

This is something that has been discussed for the last 6 years, it typically boils down to either length of time playing or skill and understanding of the game, or more likely a good combination of both.

Search for that post by unkemt or if wiki is up I think it was put on there as well for a list of "vets".

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:16 pm

P-i-m-p wrote:Someone who has kicked it with some of the big dogs of the game for reasons other than cleaning :wink:

I somehow wonder if that was a vague reference toward me. :wink:

If you can't run with the big dogs, go pee with the puppies. I'm not a vet, but I'm fairly well rounded on how to play the game. I've run with the big dogs, but I whimper like a puppy when threatened. I've seen all aspects of the game, but possess only a fraction of the skills needed to become consistently successful.

I'm the person that survives from the friendships and bonds made while playing rather than any actual skill in combat, or invading. I've long since given up on bantering over whom is or isn't a vet. If you feel you're one, then most likely others agree. If you lack skills, then you probably aren't one, no matter how much you may think you deserve the title. In the end it's just a fictitious title for a 2D game.

Vet or noob, it takes both to make a good game.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:36 am

–noun
a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.

It applies. They don't have to be retired.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 am

Cloud1 wrote: I don't see why the vet name is used because the vet name is someone who retired from service/war.

in other words, someone who has had experience fighting a war / being in service; which is basically what "vet" in starport is.

As a student of social psychology I can only say this:

a vet is someone who is recognized by at least one other party to be a vet.

Major

Post by Major » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:05 am

Cloud1 wrote:True.
so are you a vet cloud1?

what experiences do you have to share your opinion?

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Major wrote:
so are you a vet cloud1?

OH... something that is absolutely essential to being a vet, have over 150m exp in a dead server, with no followers, get on once a month and make a news flash sleeper kill,, then claim your a good active player.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:19 am

the vet is the guy we take toonces to for his rabies vaccine.

Major

Post by Major » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:36 am

nine-breaker wrote:
Major wrote:
so are you a vet cloud1?

OH... something that is absolutely essential to being a vet, have over 150m exp in a dead server, with no followers, get on once a month and make a news flash sleeper kill,, then claim your a good active player.

...like a boss.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:35 am

What Bardock thinks a vet is, is a team player, not a cry baby, gets up and dusts himself off after an asskicking. That's what a vet is, in my opinion. You can suck balls at the game. But if you're reliable to your friends and keep your chin up in the grimest of wars, you're definitely a vet worthy of some respect.

Unforunately most people are not like this, get discouraged and ragequit servers. Or they resort to guessing other corp passwords/try to corrupt corps into turning solars, y'know the good stuff. Those who do this shouldn't be worthy the title of 'vet'.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:16 am

BardockSGE wrote:What Bardock thinks a vet is, is a team player, not a cry baby, gets up and dusts himself off after an asskicking. That's what a vet is, in my opinion. You can suck balls at the game. But if you're reliable to your friends and keep your chin up in the grimest of wars, you're definitely a vet worthy of some respect.

Unforunately most people are not like this, get discouraged and ragequit servers. Or they resort to guessing other corp passwords/try to corrupt corps into turning solars, y'know the good stuff. Those who do this shouldn't be worthy the title of 'vet'.
but thats just the thing bardock grawrg doesn't care :P

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:13 pm

BardockSGE wrote:What Bardock thinks a vet is, is a team player, not a cry baby, gets up and dusts himself off after an asskicking. That's what a vet is, in my opinion. You can suck balls at the game. But if you're reliable to your friends and keep your chin up in the grimest of wars, you're definitely a vet worthy of some respect.

Aww, my boys all grown up

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Cloud1 wrote:I'm on that wiki vet list under a rebanger but he got it wrong hah, i'm a perma I love you man! :)

only been in 2 big bangs which both got medals for.

1 bb was when LG storm got bannne I was in the empire With drakonis, D-tox,viper1, chico.x ( James.bond1)<
fun times. got a bronze.

2nd bb I was with amenra/killmeplz , Killmeplz quit amenra got colonys, Amenra let 3 people in to help us and got our solars sold they took like 10 cols or something out of our 100? We bounced back built up everything... Defended all of amenras seed colonys and built them up.. got a silver/he got a bronze.

GA: 2 days in of first playing 5 years ago luna/duece gave me full controll of rising force, Defended off whose-on-first by lasering 15 systems.. Luna died and got emperor :) I hired titus1 saw his building skills, took him in with maraneth and angles corp on there, blabla he joined oaken, then eventually joined oaken blablablabla. Also in this time Breakdown taught me drop nuking.

p3 I joined a corp with wilder- a-c-e- duece ( cloud1) Called vangaurd invaded regulators with firefly which I felt bad cuz I helped viper1 before ( barging) :)
Took a bunch of systems, wilder taught me sliding. Blabla things got quiet, Md37 taught me how to 1 on 1 proper blabla, I think where I met knives and he trained me a bit in 1 vs 1 tatics.

Got recruited by rojo, corped with him on p2/11th. Watch muppets take over gunboat haha. Invaded free bird a bit with starblazer/ rojo someone else.

Dont remember after that..I think i quit for a year/played other servers I forgot.

DMJ: I joined up with ox to help him invade n such build up colonys, most of them died from polution because I was out invading/fighting.. I told viper1 to bring in all the members of the empire to war them, watched him build up his empire.. We had some intense battles with the new mods. Ox kicked me out for changing his colonys to higher mil because of the skill of the empire.. I formed my own corp with people I wared ox because he pissed me off, took some colonys while empire was still invading etc....blabla joined the Funny bunny assasins with omlow... me and him invaded some instence colonys 60-cmine colonys while mdk was near dome... I went in to pop all the c-mines omlow followed behind I got nuked, he capped it left with 0 shields haha.

11th Re visted.. built up an empire in like 2-3weeks from scratch 40-50 cols.. Formed a corp with ramses/horus We recruited a bunch of non vets to war blood pack.. they took like 15 cols of mine ( weak colonys) had some intense battles where we lost/some won because of lack of a ventrillo and bad organization.. They quit for an odd an reason.. then joined Heavens gate.

TOR: Joined cloud nine.. have 150k followers not good as we should have but yea lack of inactivity..

P5: Joined necromancers took a few colonys... fire and ice left us because earth/prob sold solars in smoothblades corp.. then earth left from being a pus with 150 cols and sold them for tokens :) I killed 17 good players with no deaths then 1 npc killed me while I was afk hehe :)
You forgot your 3 references and desired rate of pay lol

Excentric

Post by Excentric » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:06 am

I Think a vet is....Pimp

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:03 am

definition of a vet=Excentric

River:

Post by River: » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Vet=River :D

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 pm

River: wrote:Vet=River :D
newbie=river.

legend=hornit

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 pm

I've been playing since 04 but I'm a newb :D

Destructo

Post by Destructo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 pm

A doctor that you take your pet or your girlfriend to.
in very rare cases boyfriends as well.

Saber-Fury wrote:
River: wrote:Vet=River :D
newbie=river.

legendary solar seller and cheetah=hornit
also
Hornit + Copler = Trouble

There I fixed it

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 pm

someone who gets along with most people and been around awhile.

OR

someone with tons of skill in a particdular field and is known for it.

OR

combination of the above.

OR

who cares I'm not a vet so it cant be all that good.

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Here's a list from the old sge vets list wiki
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
:0 and im on it for some reason :)

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm

FortyTwoAxes wrote:Here's a list from the old sge vets list wiki
People think me and Superfunk are the same person??? :shock:

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Dave34 wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:
FortyTwoAxes wrote:Here's a list from the old sge vets list wiki
People think me and Superfunk are the same person??? :shock:
Isn't is obvious?

I should be on p1, seeing as I dominated it for a little over a year.
Pretty sure the only person I saw online during that time was you... Making you the beast of a single Player game.... ;)

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Yall are missing the most important point, some one thinks that superfunk and I are the same person. I find this offending as I am infinately more good looking than superfunk. Also, he wasn't banned for multi'ing, he was banned for calling awen a gay beaner 3 years ago...

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Dave34 wrote:Your just jealous you've never had 3.8 million followers before.
Lol, Dave, i'm joking with you. It is an accomplishment :P

unkemt

Post by unkemt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Cloud1 wrote:I'm on that wiki vet list under a rebanger but he got it wrong hah, i'm a perma I love you man! :)
:D