Should a new, No-Mod server be created?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should a new, No Mod Server be created?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:12 am

Make us a new, no mod server so we can enjoy the game again.
71%
Don't do anything and we can keep complaining about the mods
29%

Total votes: 38

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Should a new, No-Mod server be created?

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 am

Please vote on this one, the community has asked for the mods to be removed. I propose keeping the mods for the people that want them and creating a single, No Mod server for the people that want to play it.

If Blitz was changed around into a new type of game it shouldn't be a problem to create a single server for us with no mods.
Last edited by WeGotDeathStar on Sun May 23, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caia

Re: Should a new, No-Mod server be created?

Post by Caia » Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am

No new servers. We're still in the process of bringing people into a few select galaxies. Adding more servers does not help matters.

Now, if you want to convert an existing server into a no-mod server, fine. I'd suggest Classic or P1.

AKA Copler

Post by AKA Copler » Sun May 23, 2010 2:49 am

yes I do think ther should be a no mod server were we can enjoy the game without those stupid mods. :wink:

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Sun May 23, 2010 3:20 am

i love how u can vote for 2.... there 2 options

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I think a premod server would resolve a lot of issues so many players have with the game nowadays. As said numerous times, I know for a fact, a lot of people would play such a server.

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Sun May 23, 2010 12:30 pm

I voted for both :lol:

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 am

Man I just can't seem to get into another game but I can't get into this game with mods. Yes, so that I can enjoy the game again. Make it a nice big server too.

DrunkenDoughnut

Post by DrunkenDoughnut » Mon May 24, 2010 2:19 pm

NO MOD SERVER, NO MOD SERVER, NO MOD SERVER! *Banging Fists on Desk*

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:25 pm

A no-mod server would be a good idea. A very good compromise if you ask me. I give this idea my approval (yes, I know that people have been asking for this for a while, but we need to have a sea of YES!es if we wish to change toonces' mind.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm

I don't want a "no-mod server" that would suck, I want a pre-mod server.

Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny » Mon May 24, 2010 5:52 pm

and the silly mod arguments continue... :lol:

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Mon May 24, 2010 6:10 pm

nine-breaker wrote:I don't want a "no-mod server" that would suck, I want a pre-mod server.
I'm just thinking how toonces would think. "They want a no mod server? I'll just make a server, and with no mods, and keep ship base stats the way they are, that will show them."

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

sad how so many ppl vote yes tothis and say no mods is the right thing and yet last poll toonces did 50% said keep mods..... FORUMS POLLS ARE FAKE ether sum one fuccked wit this one and see the post i dont think so or sum one multied and voted to keep mods....................................

Toonces look at this and rethink the mod's.

100% truth if it goes back to no mod's urll see me alittle back in the game in the like 1hour a day i got the time

SnakeEyes

Post by SnakeEyes » Mon May 24, 2010 9:12 pm

you guys think a no-mod server is easily implemented? Think about the amount of coding that needs to go into the client and server software to make it suitable for no-mod and mod servers, it's not just 'add a server and change some server settings', you'll need to rethink your complete architecture.

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Mon May 24, 2010 9:53 pm

SnakeEyes wrote:you guys think a no-mod server is easily implemented? Think about the amount of coding that needs to go into the client and server software to make it suitable for no-mod and mod servers, it's not just 'add a server and change some server settings', you'll need to rethink your complete architecture.
not rly... i'm 100% sure toonces was smart a nuff to save codes as he goes so some where he has the code for a non-mod server. all he has to rly do is search his data base and the patch it in(yes theres more to it but pretty sure its not remaking the codes)

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Tue May 25, 2010 3:08 am

SnakeEyes wrote:you guys think a no-mod server is easily implemented? Think about the amount of coding that needs to go into the client and server software to make it suitable for no-mod and mod servers, it's not just 'add a server and change some server settings', you'll need to rethink your complete architecture.

He changed the colony settings on classics and he made blitz, which is a different game.

Don't tell me it can't be done, if toonces wanted to he could do it.

SnakeEyes

Post by SnakeEyes » Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:

He changed the colony settings on classics and he made blitz, which is a different game.

changing colony settings wasn't much of a change. Only the pollution rate, growth rate etc. was changed. Something probably requiring just a few variables. Something entirely different than the ability to have servers where people can play old style. Blitz cost a lot of time to make, and it still isn't finished.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

SnakeEyes wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:

changing colony settings wasn't much of a change. Only the pollution rate, growth rate etc. was changed. Something probably requiring just a few variables. Something entirely different than the ability to have servers where people can play old style. Blitz cost a lot of time to make, and it still isn't finished.
He would, to begin with, have to create a variable to be turned on or off depending on different galaxies (pretty easy - just name a variable class) that would be mod/no-mod. He would then tell that variable that when it is on/off, it is mod/no-mod respectively (or vice-versa) and it tells people on the server start-up screen that it is mod/no mod (again, relatively simple). Finally, he would now have to go through all the servers telling them whether they are mod or no mod. And of course some technical mumbo-jumbo along the way (depending upon language, might be completely different as well and upon how he wants to do it). He of course, has to troubleshoot. Anyway, he is a good programmer (he made starport, did he not?) and so he should be able to complete this task in anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks depending on how he does it and if there is some problem with it to be troubleshot. I won't say that I am a master programmer or anything, but I know enough to know that getting this to work would not be THE hardest thing imaginable, but it would be some work for toonces, any way you look at it.

SnakeEyes

Post by SnakeEyes » Tue May 25, 2010 5:00 pm

ArdRhys4 wrote:
SnakeEyes wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:

He would, to begin with, have to create a variable to be turned on or off depending on different galaxies (pretty easy - just name a variable class) that would be mod/no-mod. He would then tell that variable that when it is on/off, it is mod/no-mod respectively (or vice-versa) and it tells people on the server start-up screen that it is mod/no mod (again, relatively simple). Finally, he would now have to go through all the servers telling them whether they are mod or no mod. And of course some technical mumbo-jumbo along the way (depending upon language, might be completely different as well and upon how he wants to do it). He of course, has to troubleshoot. Anyway, he is a good programmer (he made starport, did he not?) and so he should be able to complete this task in anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks depending on how he does it and if there is some problem with it to be troubleshot. I won't say that I am a master programmer or anything, but I know enough to know that getting this to work would not be THE hardest thing imaginable, but it would be some work for toonces, any way you look at it.
and you think he has to only add a bool variable mod / no-mod? How do you think the client would handle it? Old code needs to be added to the client so the client will switch to 'no-mod'-mode when entering a no-mod server. Also, the server itself will need to keep track of some other db variables like ship stats etc.

Have any of you even ever done some game programming?

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

SnakeEyes wrote: and you think he has to only add a bool variable mod / no-mod? How do you think the client would handle it? Old code needs to be added to the client so the client will switch to 'no-mod'-mode when entering a no-mod server. Also, the server itself will need to keep track of some other db variables like ship stats etc.

Have any of you even ever done some game programming?
Very simple xD. I said that more BBQ would have to be done. LOL. I know it is more difficult (reas the part where I say and a crapload of technical mumbo-jumbo. (or did I edit that out?) Anyway, like I said, I have done really simple stuff but I know that it can't take more than a few weeks as long as Toonces works on it without getting lazy xD. I said that he would have to assign what the variable does (I know is general, but I am lazy :P) also, so don't get all mean :P. I know is more difficult, you are making me cry :cry: . (J/k). Anyway, yea is harder... but it SHOULD be able to be done...

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:Please vote on this one, the community has asked for the mods to be removed. I propose keeping the mods for the people that want them and creating a single, No Mod server for the people that want to play it.

If Blitz was changed around into a new type of game it shouldn't be a problem to create a single server for us with no mods.
Ok other settings for this hypothetical server would be:
-No Asteroids
-Perma

Does this sound good?
Any other settings you are interested in?

Major

Post by Major » Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Toonces wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:Please vote on this one, the community has asked for the mods to be removed. I propose keeping the mods for the people that want them and creating a single, No Mod server for the people that want to play it.

-No Asteroids
-Perma

Does this sound good?
Pre-mod base ship stats with no weapon mods available.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Major wrote:
Toonces wrote:

-No Asteroids
-Perma

Does this sound good?
Pre-mod base ship stats with no weapon mods available.
yes, this part is really important

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 pm

That is all that I can think of that could be in pre-mod server.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Toonces wrote:

-No Asteroids
-Perma

Does this sound good?
That would be awesome! No mods, no asteroids. Also put nukes back to how they were (basically make it a pre-mod server). If you want to make building easier you could take of the minimum tax while a colony is under protection. That actually makes building considerably more work because a colony can't grow its own population nearly as effectively. Slightly less pollution could be nice as well.

Make the server big and have a small corp size.

A small corp size will cause more politics and wars and prevent huge dominant corps that have like 10+ vets and 1000 cols from owning half the map.I think smaller corps will allow for more variety and will allow people that aren't able to put together corps of a bunch of active people the ability to survive better because they will not find themselves in a situation where its 1 active person vs 5. I remember p4 was fun because you'd have wars that would be like 4 corps vs 4 corps. Ring of fire seemed cool too but I only played the tail end of it. Naturally the players with the most cols and are the most active will end up corping together if they can but they won't be able to if there is a small corp size. Sure people can still contract but this is fine- contractors help eachother infrequently because when building or invading a colony only one corp gets to keep it.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue May 25, 2010 11:34 pm

O ya, and if you're going to do it please give some notice so we can all get a chance to try and talk some of our old buddies into coming back.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Toonces wrote:

-No Asteroids
-Perma

Does this sound good?
If you are serious about this and the ships could be returned to their base stats before mods then,

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed May 26, 2010 12:13 am

NO MOD SERVER!!!1

WeGotDeathStar

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am

Base stats for ships pre-mod, basically between the colony slider patch and before the implementation of the mod patch was the best game play IMHO.

And yes, please make it a perma...no asteroids would be nice but it isn't that important.

Thanks for the consideration.

kenoneill

Post by kenoneill » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 am

me thinks toonces wicked sense of humour has come out to play again, hope i'm wrong for you guys sake but dont be surprised if nothing happens