Windows 8 problems

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

cranberry

Windows 8 problems

Post by cranberry » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 am

i am having problems getting starport to run on my new windows 8 computer is it me or is starport to old for windows 8 i never had a problem with it on my windows 7

Mr Cow

Re: Windows 8 problems

Post by Mr Cow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 pm

what exactly is the problem?

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm

It should definitely run on Windows 8.

In truth Windows doesn't change much from 7 to 8, etc.. Those numbers are basically for marketing new products to their customers, and most of the difference is just in front-end features. They would get lots of complaints if applications that worked on 7 suddenly didn't work on 8.

godman

Post by godman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm

running starport on windowed mode on win8 is fine, but put it in fs and it lags like crazy, eventually you end up with less than 10 fps. its really bad. but windowed mode, i sit at my normal 69 fps. thinking its definatly a win 8 issue and not a sge issue.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 pm

godman wrote:running starport on windowed mode on win8 is fine, but put it in fs and it lags like crazy, eventually you end up with less than 10 fps. its really bad. but windowed mode, i sit at my normal 69 fps. thinking its definatly a win 8 issue and not a sge issue.
For that, I'd recommend you re-install your video card drivers from the manufacturer's website. They may have an updated Win8 driver that fixes that.

godman

Post by godman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 pm

tried that actually, ive just gotten used to playing it in windowed mode on my tower at home, my laptop has win 7 so i still play fs on it. at home i got a 24 in moniter so the 17 in laptop is comparable to the screen size for me.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 am

Typical Windows 8 video bottleneck.

Best thing to do is downgrade to win 7 or wait for microsoft to fix their product.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:46 am

godman wrote:tried that actually, ive just gotten used to playing it in windowed mode on my tower at home, my laptop has win 7 so i still play fs on it. at home i got a 24 in moniter so the 17 in laptop is comparable to the screen size for me.
Find out what onboard video memory you have on the laptop, then go into bios and increase the video memory to max as long as it does not exceed to built in video memory.

Reason being is video memory is faster then the motherboard memory and if you increase the video memory it will take on the slower mobo memory which will be detrimental to video performance.