Defense question

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Grishnak01

Defense question

Post by Grishnak01 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:20 am

Hello all.. I'm Grish. Glad to be here :D

A planet I recently domed has some mines that someone else laid upon it. How do I remove them? They're not so much an issue as annoying.
Also.. Some other *ahem* idiot placed some flak cannons right next to an open Starport. How do I destroy them? I've shot at them to no avail.

Searched the forums, but never found a definitive answer to these questions.

Thanks in advance!

Barefoot

Re: Defense question

Post by Barefoot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 am

Grishnak01 wrote:Hello all.. I'm Grish. Glad to be here :D
Welcome :D
Grishnak01 wrote:A planet I recently domed has some mines that someone else laid upon it. How do I remove them? They're not so much an issue as annoying.
The only way you can remove them is to blow them up with your ship. this might require some shield money, but it's not all that difficult. Try this before you do, though. Type /takecolony in your biodome and see if they become yours. Sometimes that works.
Grishnak01 wrote:Also.. Some other *ahem* idiot placed some flak cannons right next to an open Starport. How do I destroy them? I've shot at them to no avail.
I'm not sure what you were shooting at them with. Some weapons are better at destroying them than others. Some effective weapons for destroying cannons in space are (in order of effectiveness): Surface missiles (vulture ship special weapon), photon torpedoes (ISC special weapon), graviton beam, explosive charges, fusion blaster... ect. you can always resort to destroying them with negotiator missiles that can be bought at starbases (or starports on some servers).

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Barefoot wrote:
Grishnak01 wrote:Hello all.. I'm Grish. Glad to be here :D
Welcome :D
Grishnak01 wrote:A planet I recently domed has some mines that someone else laid upon it. How do I remove them? They're not so much an issue as annoying.
The only way you can remove them is to blow them up with your ship. this might require some shield money, but it's not all that difficult. Try this before you do, though. Type /takecolony in your biodome and see if they become yours. Sometimes that works.
Grishnak01 wrote:Also.. Some other *ahem* idiot placed some flak cannons right next to an open Starport. How do I destroy them? I've shot at them to no avail.
I'm not sure what you were shooting at them with. Some weapons are better at destroying them than others. Some effective weapons for destroying cannons in space are (in order of effectiveness): Surface missiles (vulture ship special weapon), photon torpedoes (ISC special weapon), graviton beam, explosive charges, fusion blaster... ect. you can always resort to destroying them with negotiator missiles that can be bought at starbases (or starports on some servers).

Aww look at Barefoot, being all constructive and helpful :D :D

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:45 am

I heart newbies :mrgreen:

SpaceToast

Post by SpaceToast » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 pm

i think hes talking about a laser and flak cannon someone placed in UN space unless theyve been moved idk

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 am

o.o

you dont have to pop someone elses mines that are on your planet.. hmm, well. maybe. ive always found that /takecolony and then /givecolony converts them to friendlies. but if you dont have a corp, idk :P

though it would be less hassle to temporarily form a corp, imo.

kenoneill

Post by kenoneill » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm

what grawrg says is right. just type /givecolony and they become yours. you need to be inside the dome to do it. You dont need to type /takecolony first and you don't need to be in a corp. otherwise just wait 24 hours and they become yours automatically.

Grishnak01

Post by Grishnak01 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 am

Yes.. Directly after reading Barefoot's post, I tried that and it worked. Thank you for your help.

And you can't post Flaks in UN space. That won't work. lol

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 pm

GRAWRG. wrote:o.o

you dont have to pop someone elses mines that are on your planet.. hmm, well. maybe. ive always found that /takecolony and then /givecolony converts them to friendlies. but if you dont have a corp, idk :P

though it would be less hassle to temporarily form a corp, imo.
wait about 1 or 2 days and their yours

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 am

lmao. when i read grish's response i was like.. oh, what? so apparently i just didnt read all of barefoots post. i saw "only way to destroy is run over them" or w/e, and i was like? what? no? and posted xD

ftl. oh well, grish got what he needed.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 am

Just keep an eye on your shields levels anytime you're dealing with killing or eliminating defenses. If running into mines is a new process for you, it's not hard to hit too many and die if you're not paying enough attention. Easier to buy more shields than hit one too many cmines and end up in SOL minus your ship.