IDEA: Player-Owned Starports in Starport GE

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

If there were player starports, what would they do?

Trade resources
48%
Serve as biodome, but in space
9%
Act as a battle station and attack ships
43%

Total votes: 23

bdaycake

IDEA: Player-Owned Starports in Starport GE

Post by bdaycake » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:18 pm

I have thought for a long time and I think that Starport GE should allow the building of player starports in galaxies without them.

1. Decide what to buy, and what to sell.

You would have a resource stockpile and you would market things according to what you have or need.

2. Build different structures

There would be buildings like Security Center, which would better protect the starport from robbery by players.

3. One per corp.

Since an actual space station can make lots of money, there should be a limit to the amount yu can own. A good start to this should be one per corporation, and the Starport Kit needed could be expensive.

4. System Requirements

You would need to build these Starports in systems without starports and outside of U.N. protected galaxies.

5. Defenses

There should be specific defenses because a turret wall or minefeild might attack any bypasser but the actual base should trigger specialized turrets if a criminal robs the station. The station should also be able to automatically collect bounties on eliminated wanted criminals.

Tell me about this idea, I also think Toonces should tell me what he thinks because I want to know if this would be right for the game. The game is called Starport GE so I think you should be able to make a Starport.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 am

seth

space stations

Post by seth » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:18 am

excellent concept. needs a little more fleshing out and game play balancing of course, but they always will.

first off, if you were going to do something like this, you would need to make them destroyable by players. kinda sucky to be sleeping in a player controlled port when it is destroyed by the owner's enemies. some types (if not all) would be attacked by opposite repped npcs as well.

would these orbital facilites count towards the max tons in space or not? that is something that needs to be hammered out, because it will greatly affect the amount of limitations this idea has to have slapped onto it to.

here are some possible choices for your orbital facility

the weapons platform for increased space defense. the research station that boosts research rate system wide. private shipyards for your corp, highly useful when you are 50 hops from the closest base. artifact bank accessable to the whole corp with (5 ?) slots for artifacts.

several if not all of the structures would require a crew and supplies similar to a colony. instead of pollution they would require a constant supply of resources and credits to fulfill their purpose and wouldnt be able to harvest or be taxed.

what we are NOT doing is making a glorified colony in space, there wouldn't be government types, harvest/build/mil/research slider bars, or a weapons factory. however, there would be a "refinery" because you would need to constantly keep resources high for the structure to function.
the crew could be another thing that would need constant upkeep, maybe your space station crew can be killed by damage given to the structure from npcs and players or lack of organics/meds.

bdaycake

Good ideas

Post by bdaycake » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Your idea is real nice, MadAce, but its different and complicated. But do you think im copying your idea? Also, you should be able to make a starport expensively, not have to buy a pre-placed one.
And seth, nice ideas for add-ons and i think if there was an artifact bank it would be called Museum and hold 3 artifacts in personal storage for each corp member. another thing is that military could be used in the station because it might need to use hardware to defend itself.

JuliusCaesar

Re: IDEA: Player-Owned Starports in Starport GE

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:53 am

I'm liking this idea,

BUMP!

Woots

Post by Woots » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:I'm liking this idea,

BUMP!
I would totally like this idea. Though the only problem is that resources aren't really important anyways.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:15 pm

No, but the battlestation/deathstar aspect is pretty awesome. You could build it in an important system, a tax base, or use it to control strategic warp-nodes, or stall the enemy in a time of war. Hopefully it will be able to kill npcs >.>

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 am

Woots wrote:

BUMP!
I would totally like this idea. Though the only problem is that resources aren't really important anyways.
building has increased greatly recently thanks to the lack of skill needed

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Dark.Cloud wrote:
Woots wrote:

BUMP!
building has increased greatly recently thanks to the lack of skill needed

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 pm

If everything were super it would be balanced! Better than everything being shitty.

salligator

Post by salligator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:47 am

This idea, and ideas like it - all referring to player owned ports, are the most over posted suggestions ever, and every couple of months a new on is created or bumped, fact is Toonces probably isn't going to make them, and it probably would throw off the balance of the game.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:21 pm

There aren't that many lol, this thread has been super bumped since I saw it on page 1 :)

salligator

Post by salligator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:47 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:There aren't that many lol, this thread has been super bumped since I saw it on page 1 :)
ive seen atleast 5

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 am

this

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:this
This is a great concept, but since when does toonces implement great concepts?

KingDemon

Post by KingDemon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Wouldn't this then make it easier for people to gain cash? also if they choose what to sell them for then the new people have nothing to do and cant do anything.