Winter Olympics

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

Chicboy

Winter Olympics

Post by Chicboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 am

Is it me or wasnt the last winter olympics in Canada? Or have i just remembered the film Cool Runnings again.... :?

-nox-

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by -nox- » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 am

italy.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 pm

incorrect.

all winter Olympics are in Canada.

past and future.

Woots

Post by Woots » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Lol whut
Canada's only had one other winter olympics. '88 in Calgary I think.

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:25 pm

and there has already been a fatal accident :S ( and that was before the games even started )

Wagon

Post by Wagon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:41 pm

-notorious- wrote:and there has already been a fatal accident :S ( and that was before the games even started )
poor wallaby :( :roll:

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:41 am

r.i.p. Nodar :(
man that accident looked brutal
i cant believe some channels were showing the accident like over and over again, fackkk

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:07 am

gamanche wrote:r.i.p. Nodar :(
man that accident looked brutal
i cant believe some channels were showing the accident like over and over again, fackkk
dude, we got a still shot of the impact on the cover of the hugging USATODAY. i mean lowest common denominator anyone?

SiN

Post by SiN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 am

Canada has held 2 winter olympics the 80's one someone mentioned and one some 15-20ish years before I believe.

oh btw Congrats canadians! You finally won a gold while hosting it!

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm

SiN wrote:Canada has held 2 winter olympics the 80's one someone mentioned and one some 15-20ish years before I believe.

oh btw Congrats canadians! You finally won a gold while hosting it!

like i said. EVERY winter Olympics!...(that i bothered to watch.) :wink:

Canada is 1:1 fav for men's hockey.

U.S. is 1:8.

anyone wanna take that bet? lets not go crazy and say...1k tokens.

i know Sid's a Canadian but that doesn't mean instant win "eh"? :lol:

...i still love you ACE, noto, helli, and everyone else silly enough to bet against me.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 am

hug Canada
USA Wins!

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 am

USA USA

well, unfortunately no one took the bet.

also it wasn't for a medal.

however, The US team played and won a pivotal position in tonight's mens hockey win over team Canada in Vancouver, Canada.

Our Heros name?

5 R Jamie Langenbrunner 61 15 37 52 10 30 4 2 2 182 8.2 <----thats means he's reallyfuckingood!

CAPTAIN for the NJ DEVILS: team captain after "godlike on size" Mr.Scott Stevens.

also CAPTAIN US MENS HOCKEY OLYMPIC TEAM." Soon to be Gold Medalists"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uhSBENi5g

Anyone care to wager a bet against NJ taking the Mr. Stanley s cup again for a year?

same odds.

SiN

Post by SiN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 am

Oh BBQ. I hear canadians were very upset in candia land. Quite the disappointment to lose to the USA.

River:

Post by River: » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm

The devils will not win the cup this year. Maybe Washington they look really good ATM BUT the wheels might fall off onthe backstreatch!!!!! My moneys on the Senators!!!!!!! Go Sens Go!!

And we let the U.S win the game on Sunday to lure them into a false sense of security!!!!!!!

EVERYONE KNOWS HOCKEY IS CANADAS GAME 8)

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Woots

Post by Woots » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

River: wrote:The devils will not win the cup this year. Maybe Washington they look really good ATM BUT the wheels might fall off onthe backstreatch!!!!! My moneys on the Senators!!!!!!! Go Sens Go!!

And we let the U.S win the game on Sunday to lure them into a false sense of security!!!!!!!

EVERYONE KNOWS HOCKEY IS CANADAS GAME 8)
I'm from Ottawa and still think the Sens can't win BBQ. They always die in the first or second round of playoffs, if they make it that is...

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 am

Anybody who participates in the Luge has balls of steel...

Major

Post by Major » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:32 am

Well a heart felt congratulations go to Canada's ice hockey team. It was an amazing game (for the last period at least.)

My heart was racing the last 40 seconds and I actually got up off the bed to sit on the floor a foot from the TV. I was thinking in those last few seconds the cinderella team Slovakia is going to beat the big boys on their home ice. However, tonight wasn't to be for the 'Vakians.

The salute/sendoff to the Canadian fans from Team Slovakia was nearly tear-jerking, as gay as that sounds I was moved by the professionalism and respect this team showed to the world community and to Canada after a heart wrenching defeat.

"Le hockey est le jeu du CANADA. One fan was quoted after the game. We'll see I thought.

All of Canada's goals were scored in the first period and they looked like the team to beat. However, their third period mess might be signs of weakness and USA should jump all over those.

See you on Sunday for the gold! :D

/Excited about ice hockey somehow-Major.

p.s. Chiccy: when i was 10 we had this mountain (really big hill) a few miles from my house the older kids and generations before us nicknamed "Blood and Guts" (also Pattens Nickname during WWII) rumor had it a few kids died on it during sledding disasters. 1st of all, it was steep. 2nd, it had a rock bed creak at the bottom just as the hill started to plateau (kind of a reverse plateau but you get the idea yeah?). If you didn't hit the jump you crashed and got hurt, ALL TIMES really bad. If we only filled in the creak with snow instead of making a jump over it no one would ever gotten hurt.

point is, without stricter safety measures: luge is for idiots. not the brave.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 pm

there was sooooo much tension in that game! lol :P

the first game where u.s.a beat canada... soooo many americans i know, bragged like crazy... then when are womens team wins gold against them... none of them seemed interested in hockey or anything lolz

anyways... rematch for canada vs usa... will be a tuff game... but we are going for multiple hockey golds :)

Woots

Post by Woots » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:21 pm

I was like 2 feet from the tv watching the last 50 seconds or so...sooooooo close...
Hockey ftw...
No hard feelings, whoever wins tomorrow? :)

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 pm

epic match today :D

and i think if canada wins gold today vs u.s.a
canada will have the most golds in an olympics in the winter olympics ever woooot

Major

Post by Major » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm

gamanche wrote:epic match today :D

canada will have the most golds in an olympics in the winter olympics ever woooot
United States gold 9 silver 14 bronze 13 total 36
Germany 10 12 7 29
Canada 13 7 5 25
Norway 8 8 6 22
Austria 4 6 6 16

sorry a-c-e. not even close.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Major wrote:

Germany 10 12 7 29
Canada 13 7 5 25
Norway 8 8 6 22
Austria 4 6 6 16

But if we calculate in medals per capita...

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 pm

MadAce wrote:
Major wrote:

Germany 10 12 7 29
Canada 13 7 5 25
Norway 8 8 6 22
Austria 4 6 6 16

Please do madace, calculate the medals per capita, please, even though the population of a country has nothing to do with the few ppl that play in the olympics, Im intrested in seeing your math.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:43 pm

in that case, i'd like to see how you calculated that 'total population size' and 'amount olympic atheletes' are uncorrelated.

I suggest using linear single regression in SPSS , but I'm sure you've already done that.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 pm

nine-breaker wrote:
MadAce wrote:
Please do madace, calculate the medals per capita, please, even though the population of a country has nothing to do with the few ppl that play in the olympics, Im intrested in seeing your math.
Medals per capita has been a measuring stick for prowess in the Olympics for decades. Do you honestly think (err... no, you don't think) a country like Liechtenstein with a population of 34,498 has an equal opportunity for medals than a country like the US, the latter of which can pool out of the talents of over 300 million people and has more stadiums and similar equipment in one city than Liechtenstein has in it's entire country?

Do you have any idea of the massive differences in scale between both country's sports infrastructure?

This, my grey-matter challenged friend, is NOT a good example of scalability.

At first I thought you just lacked oxygen at birth. But now I'm beginning to think you were born in the vacuum of space and then left there for a few hours. Seriously.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 pm

MadAce wrote: Do you honestly think (err... no, you don't think) a country like Liechtenstein with a population of 34,498 has an equal opportunity for medals than a country like the US
proof! Madace is an illiterate idiot. quick, nine-breaker, your moment! jump on him!

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:04 pm

-nox- wrote:
MadAce wrote: Do you honestly think (err... no, you don't think) a country like Liechtenstein with a population of 34,498 has an equal opportunity for medals than a country like the US
proof! Madace is an illiterate idiot. quick, nine-breaker, your moment! jump on him!
Nah, I just like to post random BBQ talking trash about him, then never read what he replies back, should supply me with about 3 more days of entertainment. :D

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:23 pm

nine-breaker wrote:
-nox- wrote:
Nah, I just like to post random BBQ talking trash about him, then never read what he replies back, should supply me with about 3 more days of entertainment. :D
Oh, you're so witty, and smart. It's overwhelming. :roll:

Tho I should be courteous and allow you your fun for the next 3 days. That's 3 days you'll have fun with me and the people at the mental asylum don't get sh!t flung at them whenever you're bored.

I should grant them that. Leaves them only to wipe up your drool and restrain you from humping the wall sockets.
Last edited by MadAce on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Major wrote:

Germany 10 12 7 29
Canada 13 7 5 25
Norway 8 8 6 22
Austria 4 6 6 16

ummmm, im pretty sure i said most golds? it looks like canada has 13 golds? correct me if im wrong?