The game Risk

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

gothicorpunk

The game Risk

Post by gothicorpunk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Anyone got it for comp?? if so pm me your code so i can play. lol Don't fell going out and buying it.

Wagon

Re: The game Risk

Post by Wagon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:54 pm

love the board game

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:35 am

i used to have the 1st one for windows 95 :P tht BBQ was boring

toast

Post by toast » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 am

love risk...just post the code here and save me the trouble :)

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 pm

no one? :(

Pathfinder1

Post by Pathfinder1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:53 am

conquerclub.com plays like risk but you have different maps to choose from.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:12 am

anyone tried the ps3 version of risk? its kinda cool but way too fast to be nearly nerdy enough for my taste.

also, if risk were real, with today's politics and armies/weapons? who would win? American union (GB/US/canada?) EU? china? india? russia/middle east?

nukes aside please.

toast

Post by toast » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 am

russia. their ability to put equipment in the field is rivaled only by china. The difference is that russian stuff (while crappy) is SO much better than chinese stuff.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Major.Arse wrote:anyone tried the ps3 version of risk? its kinda cool but way too fast to be nearly nerdy enough for my taste.

also, if risk were real, with today's politics and armies/weapons? who would win? American union (GB/US/canada?) EU? china? india? russia/middle east?

nukes aside please.
I vote Belgium, unless being forced to listen to madace is classed as a war crime! ;)

moleman

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Moleman wrote:
Major.Arse wrote:anyone tried the ps3 version of risk? its kinda cool but way too fast to be nearly nerdy enough for my taste.

nukes aside please.
I vote Belgium, unless being forced to listen to madace is classed as a war crime! ;)

moleman
I'd win any war if I'd really set my mind to it, really.

Caia

Post by Caia » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:29 am

China, they can outproduce just about anyone.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 am

Active troops U.S. 1,380,000; Russia 1,245,000
Reserve troops U.S. 1,463,000; Russia 1,690,000
Defense budget U.S. $711 Billion; Russia $70 Billion
Fighter aircraft U.S. 2,604; Russia 2,099
Tanks U.S. 7,821; Russia 28,381
Aircraft Carriers U.S. 12; Russia 1
Submarines U.S. 74; Russia 18

looking up stats for china. however a joint Russian Chinese effort and the us even with allies may be crushed. will edit in

edit: can't seem to find any real stats as they don't seem to report them, go figure...but one would have to assume out of 300 million people they have a land army of at least 3 million with 1-2 million in reserve. I'd have to believe with so many people dependent on the communist government they couldn't support an army larger then this without starving the nation of hundreds of millions.

also though they appear to be massing weapons. they have few allies...iran and russia of course yes. but money would be the victor of a war of this proportion.

korea, japan, i'd assume gb and us allies (perhaps nato) would join force. at least if we had leadership that could sway the leaders of these other countries.

i dont know if the us economy could bare this type of world war like it did decades before solo. ...but i feel china certainly couldn't facing a allied force this size and economic strength.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm

i doubt Russia and china would form an alliance actually. unless we did something to really piss them off, i suspect that Russia would support European interests, and so be more friendly to the U.S.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:03 pm

All your numbers mean nothing. (in this particular context)

Random example. The 2006 Lebanon war. Numbers said the IDF would win the war. The Hezbollah did.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Depends on where the fighting is?

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:53 pm

MadAce wrote:All your numbers mean nothing. (in this particular context)

Random example. The 2006 Lebanon war. Numbers said the IDF would win the war. The Hezbollah did.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 pm

-nox- wrote:

That's quite an extreme example. I avoid providing that one because people just don't buy it.

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't care you guys talking about w/e you are but just wondering all you talking you seem like you love this war crapola(havent read what any of you posted) Why don't one of you buy risk and give me the code(: lolol

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 pm

even if all the numbers are I love puppies... and i wouldn't claim them to be fact even at 4 in the morning when i drunkenly posted this,

this ones got to jump out at you a bit-
Major.Arse wrote:Defense budget U.S. $711 Billion; Russia $70 Billion
meh, maybe we just over pay for bullets. or maybe its all those damn robocops we've been stockpiling since the 80's.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Major.Arse wrote:
this ones got to jump out at you a bit-
Major.Arse wrote:Defense budget U.S. $711 Billion; Russia $70 Billion
meh, maybe we just over pay for bullets. or maybe its all those damn robocops we've been stockpiling since the 80's.
I'd classify it as bloatware. And funny.

Basically, no matter how massive the army, you can never use it all because a war of such a magnitude in the 21th century would cost many times as much as what the army cost in the fist place, and would then cost many many many times as much as could possibly be gained by any kind of war.

This goes for pretty much any nation in the world. We're all too dependent on each other.

Also, the US military is incredibly bloated. See the Navy for an example.

Beyatch

Post by Beyatch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Major.Arse wrote:
even if all the numbers are I love puppies... and i wouldn't claim them to be fact even at 4 in the morning when i drunkenly posted this,
yeah, remind me to hide my beer before i go to bed :evil:

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:48 pm

i advice drinking it.

Caia

Post by Caia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:47 am

i doubt Russia and china would form an alliance actually. unless we did something to really piss them off, i suspect that Russia would support European interests, and so be more friendly to the U.S.
Russia would support its OWN interests. I'd bet it would stay the hell out of it and just make a land grab for Georgia, Lithuania, and various other satellite countries. Why not? The US and NATO would be way too busy elsewhere.

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:11 am

Caia wrote:
Russia would support its OWN interests. I'd bet it would stay the hell out of it and just make a land grab for Georgia, Lithuania, and various other satellite countries. Why not? The US and NATO would be way too busy elsewhere.
Agreed, and I doubt if Russia will be more friendly to the U.S for the foresable future. Probably still have the hatred and jealousy deep within their feelings

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:38 pm

China could force a stalemate.
Plus China have stealth technology that cannot be tracked by the western chaps.
I had a good old laugh when there sub came up in the middle of a US fleet awhile ago....US got peeved and was like 'what you doing tracking us like this' China goes 'really! honestly we had no idea you were on manouvres and it was a total coincidence...plus not our fault you got inferior tracking tech'.

Also check the Korean war.

Russia would do what Scotland would do if it were fully independent ...find its own way of making a bonus no matter what rest of the world thought.
YES Mr Braveheart fans! you now know what the Scots rulers are like not mentioning any controversial recent business.

Canada will probably remember the American invasion of there country long ago and go on to attack them while everyones off in the east, ofcourse Mexico would also remember this land of the free's imperialistic short lived streak and join Canada in a simple pincer move.

South America will carry on as it is.

Australia would probably think its a great time to have a BBQ while New Zealand carried on with there save the hobbits campaign.

Luxembourg would send there military in full force with the west, there 10 man milita is worth 5 Chinese guys anyday!

Japan would be forced to make incredibly hard console games.
While the Yakuza would be forced to get new suits for every member.

Ireland would probably not get involved on the basis that the Guiness stockpiles would have to be drunk before closing time.

Cuba will have a boom in economy as Will Smith would need a whole war's worth of cigars.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:02 pm

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:07 pm

McGrod wrote: Russia would do what Scotland would do if it were fully independent ...find its own way of making a bonus no matter what rest of the world thought.
YES Mr Braveheart fans! you now know what the Scots rulers are like not mentioning any controversial recent business.
There is no evidence to suggest there was any under-hand play

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 pm

the many invasions from scottish tribes into england! them helping that french chap!

ps my familys scots so every offence intended.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:19 pm

MastrIan wrote:You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

to answer the topic I got exmpire xp years ago not overly complicated and I never got the full version but its ok.