Warhammer 40k!!!

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

McGrod

Warhammer 40k!!!

Post by McGrod » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Heres a topic for warhammer 40k!!!!

Time is short for now so will be padding it out in the future.

First off book reviews!

I want to know whats your fave books of the 40k world.

I have yet to buy any (will likely be buying one tomorrow) and want to know which ones to avoid and which ones to get. The infantrymans uplifting primer is on my shopping list alongside with some cain novels and I may delve into the horus heresy after.

Currently setting up a model of tyrannids taking on space marines and imperial guard (gonna be making a realistic battlefireld and fallen guys and tyranids and lots of stuf for it!).

Pictures of your painted arms, questions about 40k etc and anything really for the 40k universe. So please post .

TheReprehendit

Post by TheReprehendit » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey:D I have 2 full armies. Eldar and Chaos Space Marines:D

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Are you going to be playing TT or are you just interested in the fluff?

Everyone ignores it but just remember rule1: don't get involved in an argument about which race dominates who. It just gets bloody tedious.

Imperial Guard are pretty cool, they remind me of the Soviet Union and their conscripted armies WW2 era.

I don't play TT, I just play Dawn of War 1/2.
Oh yeah I was originally going to play a little TT, start small.. not a full army or nothing.. but it's like $40-70 for a single squad of basic infantry which cost like 5c to manufacture.. which is complete I love puppies.

Caia

Post by Caia » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 am

Eh, if you're just playing with friends, use pieces of paper with the stats on them. Much cheaper and no tedious painting. Of course, you'll be laughed out of a tournament if you tried that.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:44 am

book wise:
*Read the Gaunt's ghosts omnibuses(omnibi?). There are currently 10 books(divided into 3 omnibuses).
*Ciaphes Cain series: Hilarious. A commissar who kicks donkey and is a complete coward at the same time(for a commissar). Get the first omnibus, it should give you some laughs and is extremely action packed at the same time.
*Ultramarines omnibus: Good for action, but you can't relate with the characters. They are too brainwashed... None the less, great book.
*Horus Herasy series: Always fun.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am

The prices are extortionate having to fork out £30 for a new rule book on top of the codexes and the paints and the squads/battleforce can be quite grueling.

However I do buy bits and pieces from ebay and to me the hobby is about painting and making scenery and having a bit of a go at the macragge missions and our own scenarios.

I bought 2 books (before reading the recomendations from ArdRhys4 )

First one was the infantryman's uplifting primer ....good read although for the amount you get I would be happier paying £7.00 rather than £12.00 . (also I know I could have done a better job of what they were attempting :p ) The second book was Assault on black reach for £3.00 it was ok....I do wonder though how a sapce marine can be classed 'war-weary' relativly quickly in the campaign though. (I also wonder how that guy was published without someone checking through the work) .

Mutant I also enjoy the Imperial Guard models I got a mixture of cadian and jungle fighters of Catachan. The next ones on my hit list will be the more soviety type ones. And as bad as it is I can't think of there name lol . I like the artillery and tanks but to me its all about the infantry, masses of infantry aka Tyranid food .

Space Marines are cool also I painted/painting mine up to be quite sinister one day I'll be brave enough to post pics of them upon completion.

Myself and Hailstorm both like the old style Eldar the newer ones just dont seem to have that edge. Chaos Space Marines are the ultimate to me on painting skill and as of yet I have not obtained any models .
My Space Marines themselves are bordering psycotic. (the army/scenario I got is Imperial Guard and Space marines kind of like fighting for mankind but outside the Imperium due to them being sucked into the warp and now have returned and are fighting the war there way).

Thanks for the book recomendations they are on my list as priority buys :) .

Is it best to read the Horus Heresy in chronological order?

Crimson

Post by Crimson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Warhammer is better than 40k. Me and Avi used to play a lot till we discovered booze and women. Something a lot of people into warhammer have yet to do.

Unless its ex-army, which theres a hell of a lot of.

Moral of the story warhammer nerds, are worse than online gaming nerds. Though not as bad as anime nerds.

Remember once taking a crate of beer to one of the gaming nights, ended in bad stares and the pub.

Though in all honesty there was a perfect scenario for an episode of eastenders. One of the sales guys ended knocking up his best m8's wife. I can still picture the moment, the light of the sun glaring at the firgure as his hand graced hers, guiding it with accurate phalic precision. The moment boiling with the heat of the choas realms began to boil the atmosphere as if the elder fusion blasters were electrifying the day.

hugging nerds of the nerds.

Fun game

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm

dude warhammer is not better than warhammer 40k!!! .
In warhammer 40k (which I'm sure your aware of) theres lots of guns. Theres some tanks and some more guns. Here is a list of things that make 40k better than warhammer smelly face pants pooy nobcheese hairdo .

Orks (note not Orcs ! ) the spelling here shows immediatly that 40k is cooler than warsmeggerman. The 'Orks' have lots of guns and cool looking vehicles...which also has lots of guns on them.

Eldar (note not elves! ) immediatly you can see eldar is much cooler name than the 'elves' . Elves = wussy . Eldar = cool and edgy and tough. The Eldar unlinke 'elves' have lots of guns.

Dark Eldar (note not dark elves) immediatly you can see these guys are the coolest of all thin creepy types of bipedal hairless apes. Plus they also have 'Guns' .

Tyranids well lets face it these guys are from film Aliens and thats cool straight off.

Space Marines (note not some fancy pants with a sword and crappy beard and a name that looks out of place on the national moustache parades through Brighton) these guys pwn zerioslyz . They got Guns.

Imperial Guard (immediatly you can tell these guys arnt called poofs of warhammer) these guys are numerous and like having lots of guns.

Chaos Space Marines (I dont really need to elaborate on this one).....oh hang on I will anyway....they got guns they bigger and scarier than your 'men of the north' . Also Horus is a cool name.

Tau (note these are not called skaven or wussyface or anything like that is found in warhammer) These guys run around with....yes you guessed it more Guns.

So in conclusion I totally disagree with warhammer being better than warhammer 40k . And I think you will find my points above make my case very clear as to why and how all the 40k races are in fact better than those of 'warhammer my knees quake at the sound of loud noises and things that come from cool films '.

On the gaming front 40k is set in the future and this makes it better by far than something set aprox 45k years or something in the past. Move with the times man!
Because 40k is set in the future you will find things called space ships where as in 'warhammer wussyface' you will at best find a cart and a horse which will be speared and sent to the glue factory anyway before any battle happens.

Again you can see through the balanced and unbiased views shown above why 40k is in fact a much more superior experience.

On a side note nice to see you again.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm

As far as the Horus heresy,. Read it in order, but it can be read out of order, for the most part, I think they are separate events that make up the story. It is quite confusing.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:02 pm

cool will do :D

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 am

I have only read three of them currentlly 2,3, and 4.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:41 pm

For the uninitiated (and those who think warhammer is somehow 'cooler' than 40k not mentioning any names 'sir I have a shade of color red for a name a lot' )

Imperial Guard :

The above is the Cadian forces. They inhabit a point in space (can such a thing exist?) near what is known as the Eye of Terror! this is like a gateway to the 'warp' which allows travel all over the galaxy in very much reduced time. Problem with the warp is it has lots of nasties in it so Cadians are generally under attack a lot from demons and chaos space marines. They are a hardy bunch and there uniform has been adopted across the galaxy.

The Mordian Iron Guard rely on there constant drilling to overcome there foes. There world is ruled by the tetrarchs whose run things harsh autocratic and absolute.
There uniforms look pretty but I wouldnt want to have fisticuffs with them.

Progress through the warp is perilous and there are a race of inbred 'navigators' who can see the Emperors lighting beacon and navigate according to that.
Occasionally the Throne (in which he is intombed ) splutters and they are thrown light years away from there goal.
The Emperor is barely alive and his sacrifice for mankind has made its survival possible.

The Horus Heresy was basically the end of mankind ....on the verge of absolute greatness chaos played its hand and doomed mankind. We survive now but only because billions of guardsmen have died. Millions of space marines have perished. a million souls have been sacrificed soly for the emperors food.

This is not the time of our conquest of the stars, it is the nearing of our extinction. We will not die easily, we will not surrender ourselves to the forces of chaos, we will not become harvest for the necron we will not be dominated by the xenos scumdom of the Tau! We shall not fall before the ork hordes! The Tyrnaids will not consume us in holy Terra!

For in the nightmare of the far future there is no time for peace, there is no forgiveness, there is no respite....THERE IS ONLY WAR!!!

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Yea, he summed it up preety well. But in all truthfulness, the emp. called it herasy to call HIM a god. If you have read the horus herasy books, that is when they began calling him a god(against his wishes). He is a just a super powerful psyker.

And also, the humans could survive if they learned how to travel at speed of light like the tau or the necrons. (Necrons travel far faster than the speed of light, tau travel at speed of light.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:12 am

Humans could survive very easily if they got on with the eldar and tau and forged a half decent alliance.

Two threats need to be eliminated the necron (which can never truly be destoryed bu they can have a bloody good go at it) and the tyranid fleets. An alliance of these three races fighting against the tyranids would be a huge burdon lifted from the Imperium (and the other two races).
Ofcourse doing so would be declaring that Mankind does not have the right to rule and dominate the galaxy and that the make up of The Imperium is somehow wrong and trying to change billions (trillions?) of minds to that and not have civil war (such as Horus Heresy) would be a nigh impossible objective.

Space Marines dont refer to him as a God because they are part of him....but to me the Adeptus Astartes are angels delivering us into the salvation of the God Emperor's light . Long live Yarrick!

Crimson

Post by Crimson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:50 am

McGrod wrote:Humans could survive very easily if they got on with the eldar and tau and forged a half decent alliance.

Two threats need to be eliminated the necron (which can never truly be destoryed bu they can have a bloody good go at it) and the tyranid fleets. An alliance of these three races fighting against the tyranids would be a huge burdon lifted from the Imperium (and the other two races).
Ofcourse doing so would be declaring that Mankind does not have the right to rule and dominate the galaxy and that the make up of The Imperium is somehow wrong and trying to change billions (trillions?) of minds to that and not have civil war (such as Horus Heresy) would be a nigh impossible objective.

Space Marines dont refer to him as a God because they are part of him....but to me the Adeptus Astartes are angels delivering us into the salvation of the God Emperor's light . Long live Yarrick!
Ummm the defence of the iyodan homeworld alliance between space marines and Elder.

The Tau are to small a civilization to be a player in the 40k universe.

Adeptus Mechanicus worships a necron god known as the machine god on mars. But the necron are kinda screwed. The harlequins eliminated one of the necrontyr by trapping him in the webway, laughing god (being on of the two elder gods still left, after the birth of slaanesh) owned the necron god of deceit. Nightbringer was wounded and sent back into stasis. Necrons are kinda screwed unless they bring the machine god campaign out, which they've been planning for 5 years now. Or realise info on the 4th god.

As far as i've heard games workshop are getting low on funds so we might see a realise for the horus legacy. The patriachs and Emporer rules are in an unofficial rulebook at their main office. There were a few models realised for Leman Russ and Sanguinarius.

Plus Tyrannids have a whole galaxy under control and its resources. So other than choas they be the main threat.

So if your calling me ignorant of 40k i used to play it. But its soo easy with the rules and stuff. More fun playing Warhammer, plus the story line is kinda funner. 40k's rules are messed up with all these patching rulebooks. Ordinance phases are stupidly easy now. And theres just too many rules to follow. Warhammer is refined on that aspect.

Edit: Humans can travel at the speed of light, but ships can only be guided by the will of the emporer through vessels. Takes like 200 people to move a ship safely through warp space. Their life fluids drained, or if they survive they go nuts. Tau don't have the speed of light. Thats why they've been attacking the Imperium to gain they're knowledge. Unless they;ve changed it since last i played which was over 4 years ago. Thats why the Tau are limited to like 4 systems.

BTW humanity controlled the galaxy before the heresy and after the time of troubles. They also controlled a chunk of the galaxy before the time of troubles. Being like 5 times more advanced than they are know. They had a machine called the STC which gathered their knowledge into one place. But the machines were lost or damaged through the time of trouble (age of stife, whatever). Know most of their technology is trying to scavenge the remains of these devices.

Meh newbs read the books, vets collect White dwarf. But why would i want to be a vet of a tabletop board game :( - no one there drinks.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm

nah not calling you ignorant just like 40k more personally as explained above they have more guns.

On the alliance front I meant as a galaxy wide thing.

Question : Chaos Space Marines, what happens to them and there guard counterparts when they snuff it?
Space Marines and guardsmen and all the rightous guys of The Imperium can become of the Emperor's Light...or meet up with him in the after life, perhaps they join him for a spot of tea in the tomb with him....who knows the specifics the fact is Imperium guys (who are worthy etc) get to goto The Emperor.

Yes I once to believed Tau to be nothing big in 40k .....then I read 'Rise of the Tau' (insert link here when found it) well read aprox half of it and enjoyed it plenty. It is not by any means an official part of the 'real' 40k written on the black library fan fiction forum.
If you don't want to wade through it basically :

Tau expanded like they do. Tyranids ate some tau type guys and became under Etheral command to some extent (even the hive mind) and they got sent back to the galaxy they came from) Necron as you rightly pointed out got screwed big time, they got there asses handed to them.
Eldar well from memory they keep getting there asses handed to them.
Orks also have become under Etheral influence somehow and are united in 'the greater good'.
The Warp is pretty much closed as so many worlds are dedicated to producing there drones they keep sending them into the warp on slaughter missions (millions of them).
Cadia has fallen under Tau control and the Kasrkin pledged there loyalty to Tau (YES I WAS PRETTY PISSED ABOUT THAT BIT TOO!) due to Tau threatening to kill all the children and stuf on the planet.
Holy Terra is under siege mars I think has already been destroyed.
The current space marines although superior to normal men are not much compared to the space marines o yester years for chapters needing to replenish there ranks faster and faster have reduced there effectiveness.
BUT that is not technically 40k something like 45k .

True on the technology front it is now referred to 'The Dark age of Technology' . Its like everything now has a 'machine spirit' which must be appeased when stripping lasguns to reparing tanks or in fact anything machinelike. Anti Grav vehicles are an insult to the machine spirit which must be avenged. Fifth edition rule book makes no bones about it humanity is hugged yet I have yet to buy a copy cos im a cheap donkey :p .

From the fire caste (tau warriors) mentality they attacking Imperium outposts because they are on there land despite there not being any flag or sign saying 'Tau waz 'ere' . Humans can travel at speed of light because of the warp. Tau are vaguely aware of the warp but not like oh wow man its like if we became linked to it we can travel like far faster.

Humanity did not control the galaxy they controlled what they knew of it. (based on an old ork rulebook) The Imperium figured orks to be a small race o these strange strong creatures....until there beacons transmitted more and more ork type languages the further it got to the eastern fringe.

There was the great crusade, which was when mankind really kicked donkey. The Emperor himself designed his tomb throne. On the necron front....well lets have a look at dreadnaughts and space marines both are reliant on wierd surgery that allows them to survive longer in the metal casings. The space marines don't see the empror as a god and have come into clashes with the ecclescake guys then ecclescake guys realised hey space marines are hardly considerd human when they more machine than man....true the necrons will be wiped. But in personal thought if mankind is to survive perhaps those that do will be even more bastardised versions of humans than dreadnaughts already are...thinking also of why the necrons originally wanted to be longer lasting. (according to recent necron codex ).

I had no idea the games workshop in any kind of financial difficulty. methinks they should lower the price of initial outlay that will encourage people to join into 40k...I havn't bought black reach box set soly because you dont get paints with it! with battle of Macragge you got some paints a brush to ehlp you along. (was also pissed about it when soon after buying macragge hey guys we gonna get a new rule book out yayyayay!).

I am sort of hoping to paint a squad of 'chaos tau' any ideas how a Tau could in fact be brought into Chaos ?

As always would love to hear from a nybody with an opinion or an donkey straightener along with additional questions.

Edit : Currently in 40k technology is considered only for those of power (knowledge of). Much of space marine surgery is in fact now ritualised without true understanding as to why things are done a certain way along with most other technological stuff.
The biggest eek for me is the Throne has got errors and the tech priest type guys don't have the understanding on how to fix it and the general information just isnt there built into the masses so you wont have a bright spark 'scientist type' saying hey lets have a look at it I went to Oxford! .

The Tau howeever do understand there machinery and technology. Each Fire warrior knows how his equipment works and operates. Also there seriously rapid progress from ferral tribes unification to a space kingdom (also note the 'unusual amount of warp storm' surrounding there system at this time) and the etheral significance to tau society. We all know the etherals aint taus. So who are they?

ArdRhys4

Re: Warhammer 40k!!!

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 pm

I will go through each race, one by one.

-tau. They DO know what the warp can do, however, they believe it is evil, etc etc. They CAN be turned to chaos, however, it is more difficult than with humans due to the fact that humans are more "in-tune" with the warp. They travel at the speed of light.
-necrons. They were once human-like creatures who lived approximatlly 30 years before dieing due to their planet's close proximity to a star. Their scientists were researching how to live longer when they found the nightbringer and the the deciever. The deciever tricked them into putting their bodies into deathless bodies(their current bodies) and effectively made them his slaves. The deciever was trapped in the webway during a fight with the laughing god. The nightbringer was put into stasis but brought back to life by the ultramarines before being put back to stasis. The machine-god is the third c'tan and the fourth was the outsider. This c'tan was the strongest and most powerful. However, it's whereabouts are currentlly unknown. Finally, there is a fifth c'tan which the nercons do not know about.
-Space Marines. The space marines are biologically altered super-humans. They are recruited at a young age and brainwashed. They are extremelly powerful.
-Imperium. The imperium is run by the church. They lie to the people about the emperor being a god. They are the fodder used to feed the "gods" of the 40k universe.
-Inquisition. The inquisition is truly what is in control of the entire imperium. The inquisitors are ruthless and merciless. YOu don't want to cross one's path...
I will continue later.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 pm

in a quick reply got tons to do at this second. On reading the codex of necrons they were utter gits anyway . Well yeh the inquisition is sort of in control as in they have overall authority BUT they are obviously at there wits end. If I was in the 40k right now, I would cash my chips in with a sensible planetary governor and let my descendants face the wrath of the Imperium's logistical nightmares.
On tau can you say how they can be turned into chaos .... I want to know as I want some chaos tau and don't want the local 40k fanatics at the local store to laugh me out of the town.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm

I know they are almost immune to the warp. However, unlike the necrons, they COULD travel through the warp if they chose to accept it's existence, last I heard.

doslobos96

Post by doslobos96 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

i am death1212 from boundless sea----- I LOVE DAWN OF WAR IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMES there will soon if not aredy a dawn of war2 i dont have a graphics card capable of it so i stick withdark crusade anyone no what dawn of war 2 is right.

TheReprehendit

Re:

Post by TheReprehendit » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Crimson wrote:Warhammer is better than 40k. Me and Avi used to play a lot till we discovered booze and women. Something a lot of people into warhammer have yet to do.

Unless its ex-army, which theres a hell of a lot of.

Moral of the story warhammer nerds, are worse than online gaming nerds. Though not as bad as anime nerds.

Remember once taking a crate of beer to one of the gaming nights, ended in bad stares and the pub.

Though in all honesty there was a perfect scenario for an episode of eastenders. One of the sales guys ended knocking up his best m8's wife. I can still picture the moment, the light of the sun glaring at the firgure as his hand graced hers, guiding it with accurate phalic precision. The moment boiling with the heat of the choas realms began to boil the atmosphere as if the elder fusion blasters were electrifying the day.

hugging nerds of the nerds.

Fun game

First off, I own two full armies, consisting of 3000 points to 4500 points. Chaos Space Marines, and Eldar. My first army of these was Eldar. I always liked the way they played and their superior fire power. However, as i played more, i wanted more variety, SO i started Chaos Space Marines. They are very versatile, and are good at shooting/fighting in close combat. They're both fun armies, love em.

Second of all, about warhammer and warhammer 40k. They're infinitely different. warhammer has sooo much strategy, and is usually wayyy more epic, with extreemely larger amoutns of troops. However, 40k is vastly more shooting oriented and obviosuly, much farther in the future. Its a matter of opinion.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 pm

I would like to play, but only like on a one - 2 times per year basis.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sat May 02, 2009 11:30 am

Task :

A site or some own pics of converted/modded Imperial Guard units. I have searched a bit but I keep getting Dawn of War mods which isn't helpful in the slightest.

Currently I am painting up some new space marines in high class standard and repainting (yet again) my first ones in a scruffy way Black and silver . I built the leman russ and painted it up with the old Brit Empire colours :D , and got some catachans off ebay an age ago I have started to upgrade the initial paint job I did on them, making camo paint on them with various designs and a slightly anime/manga feel to them.
Personally I am bored of seeing games workshop do things very linear style of 'art' on the minatures they display. It is kinda getting to the point of HEY GUYS HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT THE RENAISANCE! HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED OUTSIDE YOUR IDEAL AND VIEW OTHER ART FORMS THAT THIS PLANET RIGHT NOW IS SOOOO ABUNDANT OF! . I doubt I would get much response even looking at the warhammer (the one without space marines) the paint style/scheme although very professional looking doesnt seem to have aged from when I saw them at school (about 15 years ago).

I like the morbid humour in the warhammer models and 40k etc but it must get to the point of WHY OH WHY do you want to produce the same way of doing eyes the same way o doing mouths the same 'style' as if your all robots!.

Yep this is a rant but would also appreciate feedback and views on this great game/games .
(and remember to post the site! )

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 pm

well thats a necromancy fail.
Time I left the forums /waves.

Crimson

Post by Crimson » Wed May 06, 2009 10:59 pm

dude your not gonna find ardent warhammer fans here. The age of the MMO is upon us, and has been for ages. They're most probably playing those. Now those of us who grew up in the time when a game could finish, probably looked for other hobbies outside the digital world, not so anymore.

BTW on a side note, you'll find that a lot of ex-army play and work for Games Workshop. If you spend some time in the stores. PLus its a pretty fun game to play. Problem is that alcohol and women are the best game to play :).

Ichigo

Post by Ichigo » Sun May 31, 2009 4:36 am

I must agree with Crimson. Warhammer is over. But Warhammer Online is coming out soon, that looks like some hugging bbq.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm

wow erm 40k aint over sorry .

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:28 am

Warhammer is tight... !oot, when was the last time I posted other than like 5 minutes ago?

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:07 am

I now have books 1-5 of the horus herasy! I hate them for back-tracking on the fifth book. Darn them! Now I gotta buy the 6th book if I wanna see what happens after that cliff-hanger...

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:27 am

I was too lazy to get into Warhammer, though the figures for 40k did look pretty bad-donkey. Dawn of War is my sort of thing, I can spam the BBQ out of Ork Sluggaz without actually having to buy and paint them all.