Developer/Coder/Alpha server

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

BMF1000D

Developer/Coder/Alpha server

Post by BMF1000D » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:35 am

Kasatka wrote:I think the game is stagnating and it's getting boring IMO. Some new gameplay options and felxibility would definitely improve it.

Toonces needs some messing with his head!

Perhaps he should allow some new development. I'm sure there are many members of the community who would be overjoyed to dedicate their time and energy to creating a beta server, dev team etc.

"Keep moving forward"
Someone has suggested it so let's see a sign of hands. Please post if you code, or do graphic work. Please do not post negative comments pertainig to the topic. The purpose of this thread is to get a head count for people who want to donate time in these specific or related areas. Also, It'd be awfully nice if Toonces could respond to this thread with a yes or no at some point!

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 am

mea wrote:AHHH, that is the BEST idea I have ever seen!!!!
a alpha/dev server
(not beta, that would imply one step from release)

the devel server is a great Idea. limit accounts to players approved by Toonces personally. Mods are allowed, all kinds of things are allowed that aren't open on the public svrs.

All mods and other developments are only applied after acceptance through Toonces or the head developers Toonces has chosen

This paradigm is well known and proven for accelerated development. I would love to see the dev svr idea made real

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:41 am

I can do some minor graphic things with Photoshop. I'm no pro, but I'll do what I can. I did the graphic at the top of this page: http://ubb.clandlc.com/ubbthreads.php

Edit: Oh yeah, I also work for an ISP so I could potentially host a server.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:14 am

digital painting with photoshop, no pro, etc etc.

Kasatka

Post by Kasatka » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm a software developer and would love the opportunity to help out.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Well you guys know what?

If you put it together, a beta if you will, then i'm sure Toonces will not have an objection to at least looking.

If you need some sort of advertising (on forums or net) then i will happily create a freewebsite and video's for it.

So here we have it :

- Graphics,
- Programming,
- Advertising,

What else is needed?

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:58 am

M2-Destroyer wrote:
So here we have it :

- Graphics,
- Programming,
- Advertising,

What else is needed?
Well that depends. I'm not a coder, but at a minimum I expect Kasatka and Mea will need a version of the source code on an isolated and (initially) private server that doesn't get patched afterwards and has VPN access so they can manually upload any modifications and additions to the code that are agreed upon by the dev team.

If Toonces doesn't want to set up the physical machine and bandwidth, I will see what I can do on my end and post the results here.

However, without the source code nothing can happen so I see this as the most important issue. We need to see whether Toonces will allow the use of the current code or not. I can't speak for the programmers, but I doubt they would want to build the game from scratch. Is my assessment correct on this Kasatka and Mea?

Secondly, I had hoped to get a better response from the community of people who had programming knowledge and would donate even a little time each week (wishful thinking?). More hands makes faster progress. If you can do this, PLEASE POST!

Thirdly, if this does go forward, it would probably be wise to create a private developers forum, although that would be getting the cart ahead of the horse at the moment. Also I have another source for a private forum if necessary. For that matter, one probably already exists for Playtechtonics.

So, I guess the bottom line is, will Toonces release the code, and what does he need for that to happen?

Starblazer

Post by Starblazer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:16 am

Pretty sure he's not going to give out his source code.

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:17 am

Why not just make an identically different version of starpoirt so we don't have to get it from ptt? Some guys did that with o-game, they took the coding and made it the way they wanted it and virtually put ogame outta business for a while.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:45 am

yea well o game sux

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:05 am

Grimoire wrote:Why not just make an identically different version of starpoirt so we don't have to get it from ptt? Some guys did that with o-game, they took the coding and made it the way they wanted it and virtually put ogame outta business for a while.
I'd really rather stay on friendly terms with PTT if possible.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 am

I helpedmade Age Of Feudalism.

Its very buggy and unbalanced, but hey. I made something.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Stklr wrote:I helpedmade Age Of Feudalism.

Its very buggy and unbalanced, but hey. I made something.
Are you a programmer, Stklr?

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Grimoire wrote:Why not just make an identically different version of starpoirt so we don't have to get it from ptt? Some guys did that with o-game, they took the coding and made it the way they wanted it and virtually put ogame outta business for a while.
And the name of this thing is?

OceanJeff35

Post by OceanJeff35 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:13 am

I'm a game programmer, and I dabble in graphic design, etc with a few programs, GIMP Especially and PAINT can work miracles!

I'm not good with sprite creation, but if I had a hand in helping program, etc. I would be sufficiently motivated...there's no telling the limit to what someone properly motivated can produce!

I would be willing to help with any ideas that are needed to implement, as well as help with any of my ideas too, as I think from a programming perspective when I make suggestions anyways.

Later,
Jeff

OceanJeff35

Post by OceanJeff35 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 am

What programming language and software development kit do they use to make this game?

I hope it's either Direct X or Dark GDK.

I would love to look at the source code, and do some tweaks, etc. I'm sure the programmers/owners could let certain users take a peek as long as they signed an agreement...

Later,

Jeff

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:24 am

well i built my own site out of jave but my lvl of expertise is no where near as good as my dad but his work keep him piled with work so dought he can help

OceanJeff35

Post by OceanJeff35 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:36 am

I also know a lot about assembly language programming, C++, JAVA, and other stuff too.

I'm a programmer's rat...kind of like a gym rat, only for programming.

later,

jeff

:D

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:05 am

necromancy, smooth

TheDestroyer

Post by TheDestroyer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 pm

I know: HTML, Java, SQL (in case you need a database set up) and I'm learning C#.

master3bs

Post by master3bs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 pm

That is bound to violate some TOS. Surely it is against copyright law. You could potentially make a game that was inspired by SP and had many of the same elements, but there could be potential legal issues with developing the same game.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, but I doubt it can be implemented. I know that they will not give any of us the source code (if they are smart.)

I used to be a code developer. Still work in IT.

Perhaps you might be better served to do small demos showing what some of your ideas would look like.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 am

master3bs wrote:
That is bound to violate some TOS. Surely it is against copyright law. You could potentially make a game that was inspired by SP and had many of the same elements, but there could be potential legal issues with developing the same game.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, but I doubt it can be implemented. I know that they will not give any of us the source code (if they are smart.)

I used to be a code developer. Still work in IT.

Perhaps you might be better served to do small demos showing what some of your ideas would look like.
sge probably breaks copyright laws anyway

sge is eve online's retarded little brother :D

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:07 am

EVE online sucks. Oh, poo. Nice screenshots:P

J/k. I like Starport better^^&

OceanJeff35

Post by OceanJeff35 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:21 am

I'm also studying Dark GDK, which is free with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. I've studied Open Gl programming in Assembly language, and there's a forum for MASM which features this, that I've been a part of for a lot of years.

I have a question, but I'm going to ask it in another thread...

later,

jeff

:lol:

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Cheesy wrote: sge is eve online's retarded little brother :D
Actually, SGE is Tradewars 2002's wildly successful thirdborn son.

phantomdan

Re: Developer/Coder/Alpha server

Post by phantomdan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 am

Hey are any of you guys still active ? Would be a great time to team up and get this game marketed and developed

Caia

Re: Developer/Coder/Alpha server

Post by Caia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:20 am

10 years might be a record necro.