[IDEA] Arena

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Freakazoid

[IDEA] Arena

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:58 am

Ok here is my idea in a nutshell:

-1 planet in Sol doesn't have UN protection enabled (the Moon for example).

- The planet has a unique layout, which is just a huge open space without any walls, except for the boundaries on the edges.

- All deaths on arena do not cost any exp or rep (or cost only a small fraction of the normal death penalties, like duels).

-Ships aren't lost when blown up, though shields have to be replenished.

-Any hardware (except for biodomes ;)) is useable here. That includes mines and cannons (possibly with increased limits on their numbers). Military rate is 0%, obviously :)

- No sleepers ever land there

Basically it provides a room for people to hone 1v1 skills in a safe environment. It won't kill the real 1v1s (since 1v1s involve mutual acceptance of the risks and possible rewards), while at the same time making it easier to host tournaments, train newbies, provide a place to fool around with wacky combat set ups (flowers with deathrays for instance :)), host fun games like pod hockey or speedstar sumo, and so on.

petertje

Post by petertje » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:05 pm

Been suggested before, but it still sounds like fun to me.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 pm

This idea would make it far easier to sponsor races in a place where everyone can get to without much risk. I like the general idea of this.

:)

D

Post by D » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

I dont like this idea just because it will let people become skilled fighters without the danger of being killed repeatedly to attain said skills, i think if your going to want an arena you should be able to blow up. :twisted:

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:30 pm

D wrote:I dont like this idea just because it will let people become skilled fighters without the danger of being killed repeatedly to attain said skills, i think if your going to want an arena you should be able to blow up. :twisted:
There's a simple formula:
More skilled players = more fun
8)