beginner strategy guide

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

milo

beginner strategy guide

Post by milo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 pm

http://metamilo.110mb.com/index.htm

this is a link to a strategy guide for newer players. it does not cover much of the content of the starpedia but rather complements the data with player insights.

the topics include:
- building colonies (95% complete)
- defending colonies (20% complete)
- maintaining colonies (80% complete)
- invading colonies (60% complete)
- combat tactics (5% complete)
- building an empire (complete)
- galaxy maps (85% complete)

this site is still in development but has some good content so far.

if you have galaxy maps or other information i will include it if you submit it.
Last edited by milo on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:33 am

Building an empire

There are several ways to go about this but the only way to trully ensure u survive is to expand, while also being a diplomat and backing that up with a lot of force, and always know when you can win and when you will lose

Spread out- this is a tactic commonly used by new empires with very low planet count, they spread their planets out all over the galaxy, sort of dont put all ur eggs in one basket philosophy, this is usefull because if your attacked on one planet you wont necessarily lose them all, and it will be harder for an enemy to find your planets. However, if you keep your planets spread out pollution may become a problem as you grow larger, it will become harder to maintain all of your colonies

Concentrated - this is more of a defensive tactic than anything else. A corp will choose an area of space and dominate it, they will put all their planets here and will continue to attack in this region being careful not to take any planets too far away. Corporations who choose this kind of empire will usually want to control everyplanet in "Their" systems so beware if you have planets nearby a war may be inevitable. This kind of empire is very usefull because it is easy to mantain and a lot harder to attack as these corporations will have large stockpiles of weopons and can easily lockdown systems with lazer grids and mine ports. They will also have much shorter supply lines than an attacking corp. However if attacked by a more powerful corp this empire is a sitting duck, having all of their planets in one area the enemy wont need to scout they will just need to keep moving forward and losing such heavily controlled areas will be a major morale breaker for the defending corp. also this kind of empire wont have much control outside of their controlled systems.

Super Power - This type of corp doesnt care how they set up their planets they simply invade wherever they please. If a corp is active and survives for long this will likely be the outcome. Through wars and wipes these players have been forced to takeover planets allover and arent going to give them up easily. This is usefull because these corps will have immense power and money over all lower corps, but are often overrated and only mantain power through careful diplomacy with corps that pose a threat and striking back hard when they are attacked. This is the only way for a supercorp to stay in power as its large amounts of planets spread all over the galaxy will take up much of their time mantaining. If any mediochre corp really wanted to take them out they could, the supercorps often have low morale and become a bunch of inactive players doing pollution.

I originally though up several different types but i cant think of any of them right now, and i cant think of any empire types that dont fit into one of those

milo

Post by milo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 pm

thanks jwilson if you ever get arround to writing a longer version i would love to read it.

milo

Post by milo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:30 pm

i'd like some feed back on this site so please tell me what you think.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:51 pm

well your guides are really vague, missing information, and some of them are nonexistant

I would like to add to the invasion a bit...

First of all an invader should always have his nukes and enter mode tied into hot keys that can be accessed without moving ur fingers off the arrow keys.
There are several ways to invade a maxed planet
drop nuking- when lazers are at the lz it is sometimes impossible to sit on the planet and nuke it out and if ur not that skilled u wont be able to slide past them, this is where drop nuking comes into play. Drop nuking is really quite simple, all u do is land on the planet fire a nuke and leave, then continue this process until youve opened up enough lazers that u feel confident u can get through. One important thing to remember about this is that you need to head back to the warp out first and fire ur nuke on the way... if u sit and wait for ur energy to regain, fire the nuke, and then leave then u will lose a lot of shields and u could die... also u will make an easy target for the lazers and the solar which will target u faster and u may not get ur nuke off before u leave.

Vulturing- Vulturing is primarily for planets with no lazers at the lz or if the lazers at the lz have been cleared and the solar is on non-existant or on low. if there is a solar u may need someone in a better ship to distract it while u take out the lazers... The vulture shoots out negs as its special weopon so it is a beast when it comes to taking out lazers.

Sliding- Sliding is the trickiest type of invading u can do... it is also the most dangerous as even an experienced slider could make a mistake and die... the most common type of sliding is done at the lz, usually on ringtype planets. to slide u simply fly between the lazers and a wall... starting out u should stick with straight slides (slides that wont involve any turning) once u get the hang of that u can experiment with corners... Sliding is perhaps the most rewarding skill u can have in the game as it will enable u to take fully defended planets taking out very few if any lazers...

Domesliding- This is just a form of sliding but it gets its own topic because it is much harder... Domesliding is sliding the defenses at the dome inorder to cap, this can become quite tricky as you must hit the dome with full energy or u will bounce off (often resulting in death) so inorder to hit with full energy u must be able to fly ur ship inbetween the lazers and the wall without hitting either while at the same time evading the solar... this can usually be done by throwing the solar... this is where u trick the solar into firing away from you i usually do this by approaching the dome at an angle to the slide at a fast speed once i get to the slide make a sharp turn straight into the dome, the solar will continue firing in the direction that u would have went had u not turned...

milo

Post by milo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:17 pm

well your guides are really vague, missing information, and some of them are nonexistant
about the vagueness i see what you mean. i'll try to work on this. i want to cut back on the text and use more pictures and video tutorials. i can't do this until i get the internet at home so that i can make the tutorials ingame.

about the missing information, i'm doing the best i can and am not finished yet so if you want to help with content that would be great.

btw are you the one that voted 1star lol :cry:

anyways thanks for your feed back i update the damn thing almost every other day

milo

Post by milo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:49 pm

ok so thanks to jwilson6 the building your empire chapter in now complete. also thanks to him the invading planets chapter is finished except for the tutorials which i plan to do myself as soon as i can.

i plan to finish chapters 1,2,3 in the next couple weeks.

if anyone can get gal maps of the rebangs at zoom 6x that would be a great help, thanks

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:35 pm

milo wrote:if anyone can get gal maps of the rebangs at zoom 6x that would be a great help, thanks
Rebang maps are different every single bang, the shape is similar, but the map itself is entirely different.

Nightmare

_Starblade_

Post by _Starblade_ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:51 pm

resources mined - ?
Since you don't have the resources mined part finished on the first page of building your colony, (I assume since you have red ?'s on each of em) I thought I could get em real easy,

Planet Type Exports (Richest-->Scarcest)
-----------------------------------------------
Earthlike: Org,Oil,Med,Ore,Ana,Equ,Ura
Oceanic: Med,Org,Oil,Equ,Ore,Ura,Ana,Spi
Moutainous: Ore,Ura,Ana
Arctic: Med,Ana,Ore,Org,Oil,Equ
Rocky: Ore,Ana,Equ,Ura
Volcanic: Ore,Equ,Ana,Ura,Oil
Greenhouse: Ana,Ore,Med,Oil,Ura
Desert: Spi,Oil,Ana,Med,Ore,Ura,Org,Equ

Org= Organics, Med= Medicine, Ore= Metal Ore, Ana= Anarobes, Equ= Equipment, Ura= Uranium, Spi= Spice

Kinda Clutered though. Hope I could Help.

milo

Post by milo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:21 pm

yea thanks this is a great help. i'm glad you thought to put them in order of quantity mined.

i'll include this in my next update.
Rebang maps are different every single bang, the shape is similar, but the map itself is entirely different.

Nightmare
lmao, ok i didn't know that. well that makes things easier, i suppose the tournaments are the same since they are essentially rebangs too. that means i only need like 3-4 maps.

Nimbus

Post by Nimbus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:31 am

ISC:
Max Speed: 9000 kps
Acceleration: 700 kps²
Turning: 60 dps
Energy Regen: 9 twps
Warp: 9 gpw

Sethdar:
Max Speed: 8000 kps
Acceleration: 800 kps²
Turning: 90 dps
Warp: 9 gpw

IGS: (Not sure what is up with this. in the starpedia it said like 9's and stuff instead of 9000)

Max Speed: 9 ksp
Acceleration: 9 kps²
Turning: 9 dps
Warp: 8gpw

Battleship:
Max Speed: 8000 kps
Acceleration: 700 kps²
Turning: 70 dps
Energy Regen: 8 twps
Warp: 12 gpw

This is to contribute to the Combat Tactics section.

_Starblade_

Post by _Starblade_ » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:54 pm

For all the Combat Tactics chapter I thought you could include the pictures of the ships :)

Image Image Image Image

For Maintaining Colonies chapter:
-----------------------
Effects of Research:
-----------------------
Strip Mining: Increased Metal Ore harvest

Bacteria Farming: Increased Anaerobes harvest

Native Plants: Increased Medicine harvest

Geothermal Refrigeration: Increased Organics harvest

Drilling: Increased Oil harvest

Advanced Engineering: Increased Equipment harvest

Spice Mining: Increased Spice harvest

Industrial Complex: Faster Flak & Laser Cannon production

Advanced Aerodynamics: Faster Missile production

Weather Prediction: Better reproduction

Commodities Market: Sell resources on planet for credits

Stock Market: Increased interest yield from taxes

Military Tradition: Fewer colonists required for military (Does not increase the speed of Weapon Production)

Advanced Architecture: Increased construction output

----------------------
Effects of Buildings:
----------------------

Biodome lvl2: Hold up to 5000 colonists. Popular lvl of biodome because of massive pollution from lvl3 domes.

Biodome lvl3: Holds up to 15000 colonists. Not as popular as biodome lvl2 because of massive pollution from high population.

Refinery: Allows colonists store the resources they mine or harvest.

Refinery lvl2: Harvest 1.5x more resources than the Refinery, lowers a little pollution from harvesting.

Refinery lvl3: Lowers pollution from harvesting, allows the colony to clean pollution.

Radio Receiver: Increases Morale, allows you to view the colonies reproduction and morale rate.

Broadcast Receiver: Increases morale, upgrade to the Radio Receiver.

Weapons Factory: Allows the colony to create weapons such as nukes, negs, flaks, mines, and lazers.

Solar Cannon: Allows the colony to shoot solar shots when another is invading the colony. 50 Metal Ore per amount of shots set.

Ion Tower: Disables the neutrino scanners to scan the planet from space.

Lava Mill: Doubles weapon production on a lava type planet.

Artesian Well: Increases Morale Rate.

Atom Smasher: Converts resources into other resources. Requires Uranium for use.

Church of Earth: Lowers pollution.

Deep Sea Explorer: Increases chance for getting a new research discovery.

Heater Core: Increases construction Rate.

-----------------------
Weapon Production:
-----------------------

Nukes: A Missile Primarily used when invading. Twice as strong as the neg. Recommended for invading.

Negs: Another missile used when invading. Twice as weak as the nuke. Not recommended as the missile for invading.

Mines: A defensive mechanism that explodes when another ship moves over it.

Compound Mines: Another defensive mechanism that explodes when another ship moves over it. Lasts 5 explosions with a 5 second cooldown. Recommended over normal mines.

Lazer Cannon: A defensive turret that shoots lazer shots. 200 damage default. Recommended defense against invaders.

Flak Cannon: A defensive turret that shoots flak shots. Slower and weaker than a lazer turret. Not recommended for defense against invaders.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nimbus wrote: IGS: (Not sure what is up with this. in the starpedia it said like 9's and stuff instead of 9000)

Max Speed: 9 ksp
Acceleration: 9 kps²
Turning: 9 dps
Warp: 8gpw
I think the stats are this:

Max Speed: 9000 kps
Acceleration: 9000 kps²
Turning: 90 dps
Warp: 8 gpw
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video of Drop Nuking (If you need one)
Video of Corner Capping (If you need one)

I love submitting info XD[/url]

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 am

_Starblade_ wrote: ----------------------
Effects of Buildings:
----------------------

Biodome lvl3: Holds up to 15000 colonists. Not as popular as biodome lvl2 because of massive pollution from high population.
actually - it holds 25000 people, not 15000

_Starblade_ wrote: Ion Tower: Disables the neutrino scanners to scan the planet from space.
well...not just nutrino scanners from space - it affects any weight reading of the colony - any scanner on the surface will also not read the toal weight - it reads the planets base weight + aliens - with any type of scanner - in system or on surface

milo

Post by milo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

thanks for helping out guys but i already have most of that info, i was just too lazy to type it up for the last update.

i do need the building statistics though, but i need numbers for them, not just general descriptions of what they do.

bio 2 - increases pop max to 5k
bio 3 - increases pop max to 25k
ref 2 - doubles resource production rate for colony
ref 3 - allows pollution cleaning
w/f -
bla
bla
bla

basically what i need is how much the pollution rate is inceased by these buildings and how much the artesian well, lava mill, and heater core affect their respective functions.

nightmare if you have a take on this it would be appreciated.

and yes the starpedia info about the ig ship is all incorrect, their numbers are right but their not properly located relative to the decimal point.

_Starblade_

Post by _Starblade_ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:46 pm

I could type cause I got nothing to do.....
But It doesn't matter much to me just as long as I can help.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:18 pm

basically what i need is how much the pollution rate is inceased by these buildings and how much the artesian well, lava mill, and heater core affect their respective functions.
well if you could get this info it'd be great casue i don't have much time of late. btw i updated it this morning.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:49 pm

ok work is pause untill after the tourneys and the christmas special of dj on the run, and douchebags's invasion of pv2