The Ultimate Guide to Stealing

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

einstin2

The Ultimate Guide to Stealing

Post by einstin2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:23 am

Please do not delete since this is linked from the main stickies.

-MadAce-

Are you a trader? Do you happen to have an intrest in becomeing rich and powerful? (sorta) Have you seen those lines of text that say so and so got caught stealing from some port and thought "I'm way better than that guy"? well, then leave cause this is for those who have not yet tredded the dark side of Star Port yet.

I'm sure some of you have tried stealing before. you finally get -1000 rep and go to some random port and steal credits. And I'm quite sure you have made money off of it, however eventually you were caught. So you stratagised and stole less... goes well for a bit but the someone catches you again!!! Can you steal without any chance of getting caught? well, any vet will tell you no, and i will say the same. However you can decrese your chances of getting caught significantly. (after i discovered all that i know i was able to steal a total of 2 mill in a day. thats right discovered, i didnt know these forums were here so i had to teach myslef alot.)

First, stealing is a way of life, not a way to win the game... for that study colinization as the colinizers will win 99% of the time. Also, to earn a decent amount stealing (enough that taxiing is obsolite in compareison) you will need about 5- 10k exp... i try to get 8- 10k before i start. then drop your rep down by jettisoning colinists, attcking good npcs, and other evil things. Once both those are acived you can continue.

Ok, so your ready to steal right? pk well first find a starport. chances are it will have been stolen from before and will be broke... although it is possible to find a rich one (between 50k and 200k credits). So now look at your exp and divide by the arbitray number 2. I choose two because it gets lots of creds and yet is a fairly safe number to steal. Now steal till it say you cant or they go broke. (often its the latter) then move to the next port.

After a couple of ports you will probobly get caught. The reason is simple. You stole to close to another port too long. Think of it this way, if you steal from a bank and then anouther bank, they will boost secrurity in the area to defend more theiveing. So the third time you rob a bank they are waiting to handcuff you as you pull out your gun to rob it.

This took me awile to figure out as i was just content to belive the simple explanation that it is all random. It is.. but not THAT random. Ok so after you rob 3-5 ports you should mark the area with a flag (i use red) to show that its is in a hightened state of awareness... and every few days remove the old ones for stealing again. you should when leaving an area, put about 8- 12 hops between you and the port you stole from. useing this method i have been able to steal alot of creds and yet keep my exp intact. however once your rep drops below a certain point you cant enter a port motel and un space is too expensive so you will have to make due with leaving your ship on a planet. mabey ill write a post some time on crap i learned on that.

I am sure there is way more to stealing than this... after all, the game evolves fast and i am lazy :P. In no time i expect to see someone corrct me/ add on to this post. Good luck Theiving

einstin2

Woops... almost forgot

Post by einstin2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Ok, I just remembered that you can steal resources. There are two ways to do this.

1) you can buy the ship that has the cargo disruptor. You can then fly around stealing cargo. But this really is not recommended for the obvious reason that it leaves your victim alive and so he will try to kill you. and with 6k sheilding he will succed if he has a decent ship.

2) steal from a port. Once again you will be stealing from a port. simply divide your exp by 2 or 3 then steal 1 for every 1k. so id you have 15k exp then you can steal 7 cargo or 5 cargo. And like last time you should switch areas every 3-5 ports. I am not currently sre as to whether or not more expensive cargo is harder to steal or not. So if anyone knows anything about that make a post.

prosoft

Re: The Ultimate Guide to Stealing

Post by prosoft » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:50 pm

einstin2 wrote: First, stealing is a way of life, not a way to win the game... for that study colinization as the colinizers will win 99% of the time. Also, to earn a decent amount stealing (enough that taxiing is obsolite in compareison) you will need about 5- 10k exp... i try to get 8- 10k before i start. then drop your rep down by jettisoning colinists, attcking good npcs, and other evil things. Once both those are acived you can continue.
Its a great little thing, I will sticky this as many seem to ask about it. However, I have to disagree on the colonizers win 99% of the time, thats true in permas, but not in rebangs, it is possible, and very much so possible in the old BR, to win by raiding and such.....

einstin2

Neat

Post by einstin2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 pm

Nice, im a sticky now... makes me kinda wish i was careful about my spelling. Now everyone will know about how bad my spelling really is :).

bdaycake

Post by bdaycake » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:19 am

For people going off on planets, get a colony. A well defended colony. Tons of turrets. Always go off there. ALWAYS! Ok, thats all.

Gen

Post by Gen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:27 pm

One little point on resource stealing.

Sometimes (been awhile since I did it) you can steal resources that the port is buying. As I recall, this occurs when someone has already sold some resources to the port - so it should be at least lower than 99%.

The beauty of this method is that you then sell the resources right back to the port after haggling of course. Naturally, you can't just sit in the port all night doing this "trade" game. You have to move around from port to port.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Ive found that you can do this for a lof of money, but it's very risky.

I once sat in a port, sold it 90 spice, then stole 30 3 times successively, and repeated this for something like 1 million credits(a LOT on rebangs).

Eventually, however, you get caught.

I have done this a few times, I always make a lot of money, but always get caught eventually. I once tested this with metal ore and got caught stealing 15 metal ore.

Emokid_07

Post by Emokid_07 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 pm

It's up to luck to a point, really.

i mean yea if you try to steal 3x your experience hell yea your gunna get caught 99% of the time, but if you steal say half, you shouldn't get caught, but might, cause you were unlucky.

Irobeth

Post by Irobeth » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 pm

A quick table for exp->credits:

1/8th of your experience is very safe.
1/6th of your experience is very safe.
1/5th of your experience is safe.
1/4th of your experience is moderately safe.
1/3rd of your experience is not safe.
1/2 of your experience is not safe.

A cloak divides these numbers by .85 or so, let's say.

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Okay. Stealing is just completely random.

I just got caught stealing on the tournament server. I had a cloak. I got caught stealing 47k creds with 110k xp, and I was over 40 hops to the nearest port I'd stolen from.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Yeah, I got caught stealing only 50k with 100k exp last day and I had only stolen 400k from that port before that :cry:.

What a rip-off :evil:.

Nightmare

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:09 pm

PS: first robbery attempt at that port too.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Zavrith wrote:PS: first robbery attempt at that port too.
You should've read Irobeth's post :roll:.

Nightmare

Tux

Post by Tux » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Mua'Dib wrote:Ive found that you can do this for a lof of money, but it's very risky.

I once sat in a port, sold it 90 spice, then stole 30 3 times successively, and repeated this for something like 1 million credits(a LOT on rebangs).

Eventually, however, you get caught.

I have done this a few times, I always make a lot of money, but always get caught eventually. I once tested this with metal ore and got caught stealing 15 metal ore.
How much experience did you have?

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 am

I dont know i posted that back in march.

I should mention, however, that on RoF i havent ever tried to steal more than half my exp(usually around 40%) and i have gotten caught 3 times so far.

One of the times was the first time i tried to rob that port, and the others were after a few hits.

Maniacus

Post by Maniacus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:10 pm

In the almost 3 years on and off I've played starport this is the only formula I've used, (And I've only been caught 5 times robbing ports in total during this ebntire time)

Set the ammount to rob in credits to just under 1/2 your total exp (once I hit 100k+ exp I stop at 50k creds, will explain)

example Exp 3457

set ammount to 1600 creds and rob until security becomes too high or you empty port.

example Exp 185643

Set ammount to 50,000 creds and rob until port is empty or security too high to continue.

The reason to go less than half by just a hair is that it lowers your chance of being caught to just about 0%

When higher in Exp your chances multiply by the 100k exp, so at 200K your odds are doubled unless you stay at 50,000 creds. At 400k exp you can steal 100k creds at a time, 200k creds at 800k exp, and so on. it's a good rule to follow, and I guarentee if you play for over a year you will still only be caught a handfull of times following this routine.

I would easily clear 3 mil in a matter of 30 min, at lower exp levels this way, it does not matter how many ports you rob or how many times you hit the rob button, only rule of thumb is don't be too greedy with the ammount you select, use patience and you will clear more money and nearly never be caught.

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Sorry Maniacus, but I and several others got caught a TON when we were always stealing under half our xp worth in credits. And we got caught stealing usually with less than 200k xp (I got caught I think three times with a cloak stealing under 50k when I had over 100k xp).

Meanwhile, earlier today on p2 I stole 16 mil in one grab with about 200k xp.

Stealing is just completely random as far as I'm concerned.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Zavrith wrote:Sorry Maniacus, but I and several others got caught a TON when we were always stealing under half our xp worth in credits. And we got caught stealing usually with less than 200k xp (I got caught I think three times with a cloak stealing under 50k when I had over 100k xp).

Meanwhile, earlier today on p2 I stole 16 mil in one grab with about 200k xp.

Stealing is just completely random as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, which is why i never steal in rebangs anymore, not worth teh exp loss...

Can anyone beat this one - 45 hops from sol, first time in the port, carrying a cloak, had approx 270k exp and got caught stealing 16K credits, ended up costing me Gold :x

What makes it worse, i already had over 9mil on hand :oops:

Moleman

Maniacus

Post by Maniacus » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:09 am

if it's completely random than I'm the luckiest player in the game, 3 years been caught 5-6 times.

Relentless

Post by Relentless » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:05 am

Really? I used to go arround stealing as much as I could or doing whatever so I could get caught. I actually liked it in the news :) I mean at least during the established perma days of 11th.

garfield751

Post by garfield751 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:51 pm

i stole 2 mil with 10k exp

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 pm

its NOT completely random. Only thing is, there IS a chance-factor involved. This means you can get caught at stealing any amount with any amount of exp, and you can get away with stealing any amount with any amount of exp. The chances of getting caught CAN be minimized.

Tao

Post by Tao » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:57 pm

best i did was 6k exp i stole 26 million

GreenPeaSuit

Post by GreenPeaSuit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:18 pm

For those who are talking about getting caught at even under half their exp, rep factors into it too. Since I started staying below not only half my exp but also half my neg rep, i have yet to be caught EVER... and I mean EVER.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Wed May 02, 2007 12:37 am

I have been stealing for over 1 1/2 years, with the whole 1/2 of you exp deal, and I have never gotten caught. Ever. I just assumed that at that rate your chance was 0%.

Guess it turns out I've been really lucky.

greg

Post by greg » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Here's how it was explained to me a long time ago, and has worked for me ever since. The half xp thing is right, keep in mind your stealing, so yea there's a chance you'll get caught. Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time? But one thing I didn't see mentioned is the cloak. With the Cloak, I've always used my exact xp, I dunno about 2 or 3 cloaks, tried it once in the days before permas and was stealing obcene amounts of cash. I might play with that some on a perma one of these days :twisted:

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 pm

greg wrote:Here's how it was explained to me a long time ago, and has worked for me ever since. The half xp thing is right, keep in mind your stealing, so yea there's a chance you'll get caught. Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time? But one thing I didn't see mentioned is the cloak. With the Cloak, I've always used my exact xp, I dunno about 2 or 3 cloaks, tried it once in the days before permas and was stealing obcene amounts of cash. I might play with that some on a perma one of these days :twisted:
Last time i was caught on a rebang i had 270k exp, a cloak, 45 hops from sol, first time in the port and got caught stealing 16k credits!

Never stole on rebangs again :)

moleman

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 pm

I used to be a master thief, unfortunatly Toonces saw me steal up to 50 million (over the course of a rebang, not in one try :lol:) per rebang and cranked up security A LOT, which I found out during the 2006 Tournement.

Nightmare

GreenPeaSuit

Post by GreenPeaSuit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:16 am

with 1 cloak, i've never been caught as long as i don't exceed which ever is lowest, my exp or my neg rep. With 2 cloaks, I can get by with 2.5 times the lowest score. With 3 cloaks, I do 5 times my lowest score safely... exceeded it by 1 once, just to see, and got caught... read into it what you will.

and again, no cloaks... staying less than half of which ever is lowest of your exp or neg rep.

pbhead

Post by pbhead » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:46 pm

rep DOES facter in...

"the best theives are the ones with teh blackest hearts"

or something like that... (JUST TELL ME WHERE THE ARTI's ARE!!!) :P