rehab option for prisoners

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

MadAce

Re: rehab option for prisoners

Post by MadAce » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Isn't it a little hypocritical that murder is illegal but the people as a whole can still do it trough the government?

This would logically imply that everyone in the country is a murderer.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 am

Wagon wrote:We already turn them into unicorns and take away the horn so they can't harm anyone. That's where there are so many horses.
:lol:

I think omlow touched on this.. but giving criminals weapons and letting them loose to do w/e the hell they want in enemy territory would be groovy. So long as it's not a peacekeeping mission. Like if we were fighting an entire other country.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am

Dave34 wrote:Stealing is a crime, yet the government steals your hard earned money via income tax, so you tell me.
Firstly, if you do consider that taxation is a wrongdoing then it is highly illogical to suggest that this excuses other wrongdoings. It would seem a lot more rational that, understanding how bad wrongdoings are as you've experienced them trough taxation, you would aim to minimize wrongdoings in society.

Aka, two wrongs don't make a right.

Secondly, taxation isn't theft.

"Taxes are part of an agreement that voters make with government, a contract in which citizens agree to exchange their money for the government's goods and services. To consume these goods and services without paying for them is itself theft, and is rightly punished as breach of contract. Some may object that they have not agreed to the contract, but if so, then they must not consume the government's goods and services."

I would like to add that you aren't the only one that enabled you to earn hard earned money. You received education, you and the company you work at are protected from criminals, enemy countries and fire and when you become sick and are unable to work taxes might save your life.

The state enables you in everything you do by providing the framework of civilization. That's what its for.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:33 pm

MadAce wrote:
Dave34 wrote:Stealing is a crime, yet the government steals your hard earned money via income tax, so you tell me.
Firstly, if you do consider that taxation is a wrongdoing then it is highly illogical to suggest that this excuses other wrongdoings. It would seem a lot more rational that, understanding how bad wrongdoings are as you've experienced them trough taxation, you would aim to minimize wrongdoings in society.

"Taxes are part of an agreement that voters make with government, a contract in which citizens agree to exchange their money for the government's goods and services. To consume these goods and services without paying for them is itself theft, and is rightly punished as breach of contract. Some may object that they have not agreed to the contract, but if so, then they must not consume the government's goods and services."

I would like to add that you aren't the only one that enabled you to earn hard earned money. You received education, you and the company you work at are protected from criminals, enemy countries and fire and when you become sick and are unable to work taxes might save your life.

The state enables you in everything you do by providing the framework of civilization. That's what its for.
Lol We are forced to get an education BY THE GOVERNMENT so that is not a valid argument. And being unable to work? You get paid unemployment which you gave to them over the years anyways. And, Thats what private health insurance is for. The only valid argument is 'enemy countries' But hey its the government that starts BBQ to defend "it's" resources to provoke other counties anyways.

Also 'Civilization' is is an abstract noun, its not necessarily something you can construct of view as complete. Being Civilized is in ideology so dont even use that. My idea of being civilized is not living like an animal.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 am

lol Mel I find it ironic that you protest government controlling systems when your Image/Avatar thingy is a COMMUNIST SYMBOL and communism is Absolute Government Control - No Religion, No Job Picking, and the Govt. Gets to do whatever the hell it wants with you!

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:11 am

JesusRocks765 wrote:lol Mel I find it ironic that you protest government controlling systems when your Image/Avatar thingy is a COMMUNIST SYMBOL and communism is Absolute Government Control - No Religion, No Job Picking, and the Govt. Gets to do whatever the hell it wants with you!
You are so wrong. Thats the stereotype of the totalitarian communist government.

And Im just saying that to make MadAce mad.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
MadAce wrote:

Lol We are forced to get an education BY THE GOVERNMENT so that is not a valid argument. And being unable to work? You get paid unemployment which you gave to them over the years anyways. And, Thats what private health insurance is for. The only valid argument is 'enemy countries' But hey its the government that starts BBQ to defend "it's" resources to provoke other counties anyways.

Also 'Civilization' is is an abstract noun, its not necessarily something you can construct of view as complete. Being Civilized is in ideology so dont even use that. My idea of being civilized is not living like an animal.
I don't see what's so bad about getting an education. It's only logical that if the government expects you to thrive in society that you are given the tools to achieve this. Hence education.

It's very much a valid argument to start from the assumption that you will not leave civilization as soon as you're old enough to make that choice. Therefore you WILL use use the goods and services provided by the government. Therefore you have entered the social contract with the government.

If you become of age and you don't want anything to do with any social contract the government provides you are always free to leave the country to where you owe no taxes provided you do not enter a social contract over there. Taking your education with you free of charge.

Good luck going about your life without using any of the government's services which include public roads,publicly funded communication infrastructure, publicly educated employees, publicly funded electricity, water, gas, and other utilities, publicly funded information, technology, research and development, ...
And being unable to work? You get paid unemployment which you gave to them over the years anyways.
I don't see how this rebukes anything I say. Are we in agreement here? Taxes is what you give the government to provide you services. Unemployment benefits are something the government gives you. In fact, often you're eligible to more than you've paid taxes in the past.

It makes sense that you would pay for these services.
And, Thats what private health insurance is for.
Every time you go to a hospital you consume many services provided by the government. Research grants for the medicines you consume is just one of them.
The only valid argument is 'enemy countries' But hey its the government that starts BBQ to defend "it's" resources to provoke other counties anyways.
It's conceivable that a country is being attacked by another one. Of course you're right that this really isn't so for the US.

It always baffles me that people are comfortable giving their lives into the hands of organizations whose only goal is to get as much of your money as possible and which aren't publicly accountable through elections.

I look forward to privatized courts...

My idea of being civilized is not living like an animal.
And thus it was intended.

"modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology: After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again."

If your objective was to disagree with me... Try again. If your objective was to master basic reading comprehension... Good job!

Mel'Kaven wrote:
You do not have the intelligence, nor do you have the imagination to come up with something that could make me mad.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Dave34 wrote:Get back on topic ffs, why are we talking about taxation this is about criminals douche.
:lol:

you started talking about taxation and then asked him to respond, that's why :roll:

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 pm

You're all idiots.

The answer to everything is SGE. So let prisoners get addicted to SGE, they will never commit a crime again.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 pm

MadAce wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:
MadAce wrote: Firstly, if you do consider that taxation is a wrongdoing then it is highly illogical to suggest that this excuses other wrongdoings. It would seem a lot more rational that, understanding how bad wrongdoings are as you've experienced them trough taxation, you would aim to minimize wrongdoings in society.

I don't see what's so bad about getting an education. It's only logical that if the government expects you to thrive in society that you are given the tools to achieve this. Hence education.

It's very much a valid argument to start from the assumption that you will not leave civilization as soon as you're old enough to make that choice. Therefore you WILL use use the goods and services provided by the government. Therefore you have entered the social contract with the government.

If you become of age and you don't want anything to do with any social contract the government provides you are always free to leave the country to where you owe no taxes provided you do not enter a social contract over there. Taking your education with you free of charge.

Good luck going about your life without using any of the government's services which include public roads,publicly funded communication infrastructure, publicly educated employees, publicly funded electricity, water, gas, and other utilities, publicly funded information, technology, research and development, ...
And being unable to work? You get paid unemployment which you gave to them over the years anyways.
I don't see how this rebukes anything I say. Are we in agreement here? Taxes is what you give the government to provide you services. Unemployment benefits are something the government gives you. In fact, often you're eligible to more than you've paid taxes in the past.

It makes sense that you would pay for these services.
And, Thats what private health insurance is for.
Every time you go to a hospital you consume many services provided by the government. Research grants for the medicines you consume is just one of them.
The only valid argument is 'enemy countries' But hey its the government that starts BBQ to defend "it's" resources to provoke other counties anyways.
It's conceivable that a country is being attacked by another one. Of course you're right that this really isn't so for the US.

It always baffles me that people are comfortable giving their lives into the hands of organizations whose only goal is to get as much of your money as possible and which aren't publicly accountable through elections.

I look forward to privatized courts...

My idea of being civilized is not living like an animal.
And thus it was intended.

"modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology: After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again."

If your objective was to disagree with me... Try again. If your objective was to master basic reading comprehension... Good job!

Mel'Kaven wrote:
You do not have the intelligence, nor do you have the imagination to come up with something that could make me mad.
Im just going to say you win because I really really really really really don't have the attention span Mr. Julius has and I can't just sit here and contribute my life to reading/quoting your posts, its SOOOOO boring. I SERIOUSLY have more important stuff to do, Like watch The Office ^-^! But yes, Im sorry that I can't ramble on with you, your such a great arguer and I love a good debate but its seriously WAY better in person than reading text. Just so plain Y'know?

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote: Im just going to say you win because I really really really really really don't have the attention span Mr. Julius has and I can't just sit here and contribute my life to reading/quoting your posts, its SOOOOO boring. I SERIOUSLY have more important stuff to do, Like watch The Office ^-^! But yes, Im sorry that I can't ramble on with you, your such a great arguer and I love a good debate but its seriously WAY better in person than reading text. Just so plain Y'know?
I'm much worse in person. People run from me. Literally.

;-)

But I'm kinda glad you have the intelligence to release your limitations. Some people should indeed stick to basic but no less important tasks like watching the office.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:56 pm

MadAce wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote: Im just going to say you win because I really really really really really don't have the attention span Mr. Julius has and I can't just sit here and contribute my life to reading/quoting your posts, its SOOOOO boring. I SERIOUSLY have more important stuff to do, Like watch The Office ^-^! But yes, Im sorry that I can't ramble on with you, your such a great arguer and I love a good debate but its seriously WAY better in person than reading text. Just so plain Y'know?
I'm much worse in person. People run from me. Literally.

;-)

But I'm kinda glad you have the intelligence to release your limitations. Some people should indeed stick to basic but no less important tasks like watching the office.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:

That's quite accurate.

Although it's more like this:

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 am

Dave34 wrote:Ah, boasting about the size of your head I see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XoyDqFy5pU
To answer your question (thanks for being interested):

I have a big brain with lots of abnormally densely interconnected synapses allowing me to be extremely intelligent.

I love where this is going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VV2bVW8QSw

Thanks for lifting the level of conversation.

Major

Post by Major » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:33 pm

stop that.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Most intelligent people realize that their time is more valuable than typing out long-winded arguments to average-witted teenagers on the internet

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:
GRAWRG. wrote:well im a generally ill-informed person. part of the bill was that people who had committed certain crimes wouldnt have the option.

however, isnt the military known for "straightening people out"? they dont just agree, and you hand them a gun, and thats that? thats just my idea of training, i mean, i dont know how long they'd be trained or what exactly the training would be like. i just dont see these people being in a combat situation and shooting at the friendlies instead of the not friendlies and trying to run... where exactly? o.o

oh yay, you got away from fellow soldiers.. now you're alone in enemy territory wearing a US uniform?
Rofl, we should just give the prisoners that have life sentences a choice to be sent to some small remote island in the middle of the pacific and make a reality show with hidden cameras and stuff and we can watch the prisoners kill each other over trying to become king of their little crap island. All funds from the 24/7 televised show would go to the government. Everyones happy. ^-^
There was a movie that came out a few years ago with this exact plot. I'm assuming that's where you took this idea from. I wish google could help me find it...

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Barefoot wrote:Most intelligent people realize that their time is more valuable than typing out long-winded arguments to average-witted teenagers on the internet
Oh really? Should I perhaps practice against intelligent people? How am I supposed to do that? They usually agree with me from the get-go or halfway through my argument realize they're wrong. Or I realize I'm wrong very soon.

Discussions among intelligent people aren't all that interesting unless we agree beforehand which position we'll defend. But I don't care about those kinds of discussions as they're not about the truth behind a position but more like chess with words.

Don't get me wrong. I argue with equally, or preferably more, intelligent people all the time. After all, the greatest rush is being proven wrong and having an opportunity to embrace a superior viewpoint.

But I much prefer to hone my skills arguing average intelligences as they make up the majority of people. The techniques acquired such are more suited for my goals.