Marriage

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

-PLAGUE-

Marriage

Post by -PLAGUE- » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 am

What's the point of it?

If you can even get divorced doesn't that just make everything marriage stands for completely pointless?
It's not even looked down upon to get divorced anymore, when someone hears someone gets divorced they only think oh well that sucks for them.
I read a lot and from what I can tell back in the day marriage used to be something important, something sacred between two people, now it's nothing more than a title, it doesn't stand for anything and the bonds of marriage can be broken very easily. It just all seems very pointless to me now and it seems that it really doesn't make any difference in the relationship your having except negatively, for example when you get married there are new pressures, your life with someone is further intwined financially and there is more pressure on you makes you feel like you have to be better than you were in some way I'm sure. Then after all of that of course with marriage comes also bringing the idea of having children ( If you haven't already ).

With everything good that marriage stands for broken like it's nothing by so many people, it seems that all of those negative things are all that comes with it. I think that's a horrible sad thing.

Opinions?

/Discuss

MuTAnT

Re: Marriage

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 am

Personally I think marriage is kind of redundant. I don't plan on getting married.
This runs really close to falling into some shitty religious argument though.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:39 am

You are going to make some woman very happy one day.

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:35 am

You = emo

Mensio

Post by Mensio » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 am

all i know is..

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Tv shows and the media devalue marriage at every chance because failure makes a more interesting story than sucess. Don't fall into their trap. Marriage is a personal experience between two people, others actions are irrelevant. If to you and your wife (or any other combination) it is sacred, then it is. What some celebrity did has no effect.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:59 am

Marriage used to be a contract where a man would provide for a woman in exchange for her providing children. All throughout history at any time a woman was capable of supporting herself, she might have chosen to divorce, or if a woman did not produce an heir, then men would choose to divorce their wives. Often times marriage contracts even had provisions stipulating time-periods to produce a male heir, if the time ran out and no male heir was born, it would terminate the marriage contract. Until just recently woman didn't really have much of a choice but to stay home and take care of the children since only they could feed the children. With the invention of baby formula. Women didn't have to stay tied to the child. Meaning they could now support themselves and become more independent. Essentially making the whole man provide for the woman part of it useless, so its now replaced by the man will love the woman and of course the woman will love the man. But love fades a lot easier when two people don't need each other, thats why divorce is so much higher now, and the same reason why divorce used to be so high among the rich who could afford wetnurses before baby formula.

So Baby formula allows women to be more self-reliant. Self-reliant women destroyed marriage.

There are many reasons for the strong associations marriage has with religion. Throughout much of early history, contracts were done under the watch of and upheld by the peoples gods. The only communal buildings for the marriage to take place were often places of religious significance. And the local officials were also often the locals priests. So thats why we associate marriage with religion when in fact it began as nothing more than a contract between two people.

P.S. I'm not saying self-reliant women are a bad thing. I for one, don't want a housewife, mainly because I want her to have something interesting to talk about.

SiN

Post by SiN » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 am

This is the way I see it. Marriage is about a deep connection or bond between 2 people. Too often I believe people marry for the sex instead of the connection.

Sleep with whoever you want as long as they are clean. Marry a woman who can cook. Nuff said.

My wife is along those lines. She believes in me as a good person who she wants to raise children with. We both want to experience new things when it comes to sex. Doesn't mean we aren't tied together deeply. We just don't follow the classic definition of the thing.

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:38 am

MastrIan wrote:You are going to make some woman very happy one day.

Thankyou Thorin :cry:

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 am

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 pm

CrazyChef wrote:Image
I absolutely love that quote.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 am

MuTAnT wrote:
Winston Churchill quote!

Being married is great, as long as its too the right person!

Been married over 10 years now!! :shock:

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:45 am

Moleman wrote:
MuTAnT wrote:
Winston Churchill quote!

Being married is great, as long as its too the right person!

Been married over 10 years now!! :shock:
Sucker.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 pm

-PLAGUE- wrote:
MastrIan wrote:You are going to make some woman very happy one day.

Thankyou Thorin :cry:
:lol:

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:42 am

The way I see it is that your giving your life to another person and they give you theirs, which pertains to the "oneness". It's putting one person in the world above all others and being able to tell them anything and everything. And if they don't like everything about you, then leave, but thats what dating is for. Marriage should be for mature individuals who can understand each others differences and embrace them. As far as sex goes, it's intended in the Catholic religion to be saved Til marriage (and in many other religions and cultures). This emphasizes the fact that you're putting them above everyone else because you are only having sex with them. It also shows that you can do anything with each other. If my future partner wants me to do something incredibly weird, I'll do it. Well that's my interpretation in 3 mins xD and it's what I've gotten from my 16 years on Earth. Love has truly been the only thing I've ever cared about (even since kindergarten haha) besides blitz of course, but that's a far off second. So I've had a lot of time to think about this, cause it's all I think about. I've already dedicated my life to my girlfriend and I don't care how self destructive it is, cause I'll never settle for less than I can. She was my first kiss, and I don't want to have to tell me wife I kissed someone before her (yeah I know I'm extreme). Wow I'm ranting... I do this way too much... See you guys on blitz! :D
Muffles

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 am

Marriage usually shows you are at a point of your relationship that you 2 are like 1 in the same.

But I think its just Women wanting some kind of Financial security... you know, shag ya, pop kids, divorce, take ur cash, marry the hot guy....