Glenn Beck

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

User avatar
nine-breaker
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am
Location: Locked in epic battle with Morgoth

Glenn Beck

Post by nine-breaker » Thu May 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Some one should really stop this guy, he is starting behave very cultist like.
Last edited by nine-breaker on Fri May 21, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mel'Kaven
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Kittehville
Contact:

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Yes.

User avatar
FortyTwoAxes
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:53 pm
Location: Check mah Fansite out or i kill you!!!
Contact:

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm

um who ? lol

User avatar
Wagon
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: I love you man!

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Wagon » Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 am

lawl...yeah...it's not his fault, evidently his lobotomy went very wrong.

User avatar
-nox-
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: holland

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by -nox- » Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 am

stop him? then were would I get my sense of superiority?

hannity is not enough to make me feel like a genius in comparison.

User avatar
BardockSGE
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am
Location: Noob from Boundless Sea.

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by BardockSGE » Sun May 23, 2010 4:48 am

I used to like Glenn. Oh well.

User avatar
Golab36
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: The depths of hellwaiting on a Jagerbomb.

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Golab36 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:37 am

Glenn likes to talk about leftists being National Socialists. I find that funny, because on the political triangle the leftists are commies.... and the rightists are National Socialist. Sure like to know where he gets his information.

If anything Obama is more like a communist... our last Prez was the nazi. Beck needs to figure stuff out.

Golabulus(Rangers all the way!!)

User avatar
nine-breaker
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am
Location: Locked in epic battle with Morgoth

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by nine-breaker » Sun May 23, 2010 5:43 am

The sad thing is, he could say, "tomorrow we will rally in Arlington, everyone bring your guns, were marching on the white house" and 10 million people would be booking the next possible flight to New England. He just makes crap up, and says it in a convincing way, and people believe him. He really really needs to be assassinated.

User avatar
-nox-
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: holland

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by -nox- » Sun May 23, 2010 6:44 am

I doubt he "makes stuff up" without actually believing it himself. In my opinion, I would guess that he simply has no idea of how to reach the truth. Any proper scientist would say to him that his approach of looking if things "fit" is simply the wrong approach. As much as he is probably an insult to even logical positivism, he completely fails to realise that the best way to approach the truth according to modern scientific philosophy (Popper, Lakatos and others) is through falsification.

are all swans white? How would you find out?

Glenn's approach: look for white swans

the correct approach: look for swans that aren't white.

If you find a swan that isn't white, not all swans are white. It doesn't matter how many white swans you find, find one that isn't white and not all swans are white.

...or something like that.

P.S. I didn't respond to "he should be assassinated" as I have my doubt about how serious you were about that. But just for arguments sake: no.
My personal opinion is that he should not be glorified by Fox News as somehow 'newsworthy' or 'something to consider'. But that's no reason for murder or even something like removal of free speech

User avatar
Wagon
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: I love you man!

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Wagon » Sun May 23, 2010 7:53 am

A list of rhetorical fallacies that Glenn Beck exploits:

EMOTIONAL FALLACIES

Sentimental Appeals use emotion to distract the audience from the facts.
Example: Drawing sympathy for having a hard life ("I USED TO GET HIGH AND DRINK EVERY DAY, SO IM A SUCCESS STORY")

Red Herrings use misleading or unrelated evidence to support a conclusion.
Example: Isn't all of his evidence unrelated?

Scare Tactics try to frighten people into agreeing with the arguer by threatening them or predicting unrealistically dire consequences.
Example: "OBAMA IS THE ANTICHRIST AND WILL KILL US ALL"

Bandwagon Appeals encourage an audience to agree with the writer because everyone else is doing so.
Example: "TRUST ME GUYS, EVERYONE IS JOINING THE TEAPARTY MOVEMENT"

Slippery Slope arguments suggest that one thing will lead to another, oftentimes with disastrous results.
Example: "If we elect a time-travelling nazi muslim president, we'll turn into a communist nation and have to resort to cannibalism"

Either/Or Choices reduce complicated issues to only two possible courses of action.
Example: "Either we restore America...or the terrorist eat us!"

False Need arguments create an unnecessary desire for things.
Example: "YOU NEED TO BUY THIS COMMEMORATIVE PLATE FOR 9/11!"

ETHICAL FALLACIES

False Authority asks audiences to agree with the assertion of a writer based simply on his or her character or the authority of another person or institution who may not be fully qualified to offer that assertion.
Example: God told me so.

Using Authority Instead of Evidence occurs when someone offers personal authority as proof.
Example: Trust me guys, im trustworthy.

Guilt by Association calls someone’s character into question by examining the character of that person’s associates.
Example: "OBAMA'S DAD WAS A MUSLIM! OSAMA BIN LADEN IS A MUSLIM! AND HIS NAME IS ONE LETTER OFF! OMG OMG OMG GUYS!!! OBAMA IS OSAMA!"

Dogmatism shuts down discussion by asserting that the writer’s beliefs are the only acceptable ones.
Example: Lawl, u believe in desegregation...your teh stupid.

Moral Equivalence compares minor problems with much more serious crimes (or vice versa).
Example: These mandatory seatbelt laws are fascist communism.

Ad Hominem arguments attack a person’s character rather than that person’s reasoning.
Example: "HOW CAN U SAY THAT ABOUT THE IRAQ WAR WHEN YOU WERE INTOXICATED ON JULY 29TH!?"

Strawperson arguments set up and often dismantle easily refutable arguments in order to misrepresent an opponent’s argument in order to defeat him or her
Example: "A: We need to regulate access to handguns.
B: My opponent believes that we should ignore the rights guaranteed to us as citizens of the United States by the Constitution. Unlike my opponent, I am a firm believer in the Constitution, and a proponent of freedom."


LOGICAL FALLACIES

A Hasty Generalization draws conclusions from scanty evidence.
Example:Obama hates me....I am white...therefore, "OBAMA IS A RACIST"

Faulty Causality (or Post Hoc) arguments confuse chronology with causation: one event can occur after another without being caused by it.
Example: "Right around when Obama got elected, the economy tanked! Obama wants the American economy to die!"

A Non Sequitur (Latin for “It doesn’t follow”) is a statement that does not logically relate to what comes before it. An important logical step may be missing in such a claim.
Example: "If those protesters really loved their country, they wouldn’t question the government."

An Equivocation is a half-truth, or a statement that is partially correct but that purposefully obscures the entire truth.
Example: "I want what is best for my country"

Begging the Question occurs when a writer simply restates the claim in a different way; such an argument is circular.
Example: "His lies are evident from the untruthful nature of his statements."

A Faulty Analogy is an inaccurate, inappropriate, or misleading comparison between two things.
Example: "Letting immigrants into the great country is like letting killer panda bears into my peach stew"

Stacked Evidence represents only one side of the issue, thus distorting the issue.
Example: Dude...this is all he does....

User avatar
Golab36
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: The depths of hellwaiting on a Jagerbomb.

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Golab36 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Well Dave I have to say... freedom of speech is an illusion anymore... slowly, more and more everyday we continue to lose it. In the USA here if you say anything bad about anything government or about a US ally such as Israel... you are immediately discredited and condemned before your freedom of speech can be heard and proven. Frankly its not free speech when one side can drown out another voice.

I can't even have an official website for anything thanks to the federal government under Bush Jr. I still have 5 more years until I can have one... just because I said on my website back in 2003 that the Israeli Defense Force commits genocide and no one will do anything about it in this country. I also had pictures that proved it, as did my entire company when we were there training with the IDF. We were all reprimanded once we brought anything up.

I just find it funny that even in 1967 when the IDF killed over 30 americans our response was to do nothing to those who killed our people.

Golabulus(Rangers all the way!!)

User avatar
WeGotDeathStar
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 am
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun May 23, 2010 6:14 pm

If you want the real deal and don't want to be distracted by the politics of traditional news, Alex Jones is the way to go.

At first he may sound like a nut but the more you listen to him the more a picture is painted as to whats really going on in our world.
Scary stuff indeed if only half of it is true.

http://www.infowars.com/

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Major » Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:If you want the real deal and don't want to be distracted by the politics of traditional news, Alex Jones is the way to go.

At first he may sound like a nut but the more you listen to him the more a picture is painted as to whats really going on in our world.
Scary stuff indeed if only half of it is true.

http://www.infowars.com/

My respect meter for you just shot up significantly.

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by MadAce » Mon May 24, 2010 10:41 am


User avatar
Wagon
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: I love you man!

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Wagon » Mon May 24, 2010 2:01 pm

i love pandas and wagons...i love pandawagons!

User avatar
ArdRhys4
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 am
Location: boundless sea and p4

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:30 pm

MadAce wrote:I love Alex Jones. So much fun to make fun of him.
That was... hilarious... x2 :lol: :lol:

User avatar
nine-breaker
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am
Location: Locked in epic battle with Morgoth

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by nine-breaker » Mon May 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by MadAce » Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 pm


User avatar
ArdRhys4
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 am
Location: boundless sea and p4

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:02 pm

MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ories/762/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nspiracies
That is fairly reasonable explanation why people believe the conspiracies.

User avatar
MegaMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:24 am

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by MegaMan » Thu May 27, 2010 10:44 am

ArdRhys4 wrote:
MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ories/762/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nspiracies
That is fairly reasonable explanation why people believe the conspiracies.

...And also because when the 'official story' doesn't add up one has to ask some questions.

For example, the official story still stands that JFK was shot by a single shooter from behind, from the book depository. Yet the video of him getting shot is widely available. You can watch it, and you can see his head jerking backwards, and his brains getting blown all over the back of his car. Now is that what happens when someone gets shot from the back, or from the front? So then why does that damn 'official story' still stand?

On topic Glen Beck is a nut, and Fox News is not journalism. At all.

User avatar
ArdRhys4
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 am
Location: boundless sea and p4

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:07 pm

MegaMan wrote:
ArdRhys4 wrote: ...And also because when the 'official story' doesn't add up one has to ask some questions.

For example, the official story still stands that JFK was shot by a single shooter from behind, from the book depository. Yet the video of him getting shot is widely available. You can watch it, and you can see his head jerking backwards, and his brains getting blown all over the back of his car. Now is that what happens when someone gets shot from the back, or from the front? So then why does that damn 'official story' still stand?

On topic Glen Beck is a nut, and Fox News is not journalism. At all.
Okay, so that just means that we have a useless bureaucracy in the government, doesn't mean that it is a conspiracy by the government. Of course, if he was shot by more than one person, then it was a conspiracy. But only because a conspiracy is...
# a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
# a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
# a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose

All of these could be handled by TWO+. Does that mean that it is a huge conspiracy by the government? No. Does it mean it is not? Not really. I think conspiracy is thrown around too easily these days and it should not be. Anyway, I must be leaving.

User avatar
Wagon
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: I love you man!

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Wagon » Sat May 29, 2010 2:16 am

Fox news: where you go when news is not what you want to hear.

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Major » Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 am

all news is scripted.

nothing is adlib. and nothing is "fair and balanced" like some sources spend millions of dollars to claim.

take in lots of news from lots of sources and formulate your own opinion's based on the facts presented.

my dad used to say if i read 4 to 5 different newspapers a day i could have a conversation with anyone.

i dont trust any news source more then the next. however, i tend to lean towards the new york times as the most "trustworthy" ...and that's very loose.

Chomsky said it was his paper of choice. hes a bit of a personal hero of mine after reading volumes of his work, granted i can't agree with everything he's said...but then again i guess that tell you a bit too much about my politics.

i prefer to go to each extreme to save myself time. ...and sides aren't right or left. more like an octagon. so many variants on every story you could get lost.

...and isn't that the fun?

i said i respected wegotdeathstar for linking alex jones. it makes perfect sense to bring an alex jones into a discussion about glen beck. explain how it doesn't

funny i see silly video's to embarrass alex jones a DB most times {with scathing political commentary worthy to be noted occasionally}. funny as it was. wheres the glen beck outrageous-ness? i mean there are literally millions of youtube vids....and sites that are as hysterical.

i dont think madace was trying to embarrass alex jones as much as wegotdeathstar who is a DB.
MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ories/762/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nspiracies
and seriously? did you spend even 3 minutes looking for better articles? these read like ninth grade papers? i mean "Scientific America" a mag i enjoyed as a kid quoted kurt cobaine?

the other read like wegotdeathstar wrote it.

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by MadAce » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Major wrote:
MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ories/762/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nspiracies
and seriously? did you spend even 3 minutes looking for better articles? these read like ninth grade papers? i mean "Scientific America" a mag i enjoyed as a kid quoted kurt cobaine?

the other read like wegotdeathstar wrote it.
I adjust to my audience.

User avatar
WeGotDeathStar
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 am
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 am

I'm sorry Arse but what was your problem again? The only DB here is you

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Major » Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:I'm sorry Arse but what was your problem again? The only DB here is you

i thought i was defending you?

User avatar
Wagon
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: I love you man!

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by Wagon » Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 am

Major wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:I'm sorry Arse but what was your problem again? The only DB here is you

i thought i was defending you?
meow

User avatar
P-i-m-p
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:54 am
Location: Tellin Them Hoes What To Do

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by P-i-m-p » Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 am

Wagon wrote:
Major wrote:
WeGotDeathStar wrote:I'm sorry Arse but what was your problem again? The only DB here is you

i thought i was defending you?
meow
Woof

User avatar
WeGotDeathStar
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 am
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun May 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Major wrote:all news is scripted.

nothing is adlib. and nothing is "fair and balanced" like some sources spend millions of dollars to claim.

take in lots of news from lots of sources and formulate your own opinion's based on the facts presented.

my dad used to say if i read 4 to 5 different newspapers a day i could have a conversation with anyone.

i dont trust any news source more then the next. however, i tend to lean towards the new york times as the most "trustworthy" ...and that's very loose.

Chomsky said it was his paper of choice. hes a bit of a personal hero of mine after reading volumes of his work, granted i can't agree with everything he's said...but then again i guess that tell you a bit too much about my politics.

i prefer to go to each extreme to save myself time. ...and sides aren't right or left. more like an octagon. so many variants on every story you could get lost.

...and isn't that the fun?

i said i respected wegotdeathstar for linking alex jones. it makes perfect sense to bring an alex jones into a discussion about glen beck. explain how it doesn't

funny i see silly video's to embarrass alex jones a DB most times {with scathing political commentary worthy to be noted occasionally}. funny as it was. wheres the glen beck outrageous-ness? i mean there are literally millions of youtube vids....and sites that are as hysterical.

i dont think madace was trying to embarrass alex jones as much as wegotdeathstar who is a DB.
MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sadly though a lot of what he said is true.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ories/762/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nspiracies
and seriously? did you spend even 3 minutes looking for better articles? these read like ninth grade papers? i mean "Scientific America" a mag i enjoyed as a kid quoted kurt cobaine?

the other read like wegotdeathstar wrote it.


quoted from you major.....

" i dont think madace was trying to embarrass alex jones as much as wegotdeathstar who is a DB. "

User avatar
ArdRhys4
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 am
Location: boundless sea and p4

Re: Glenn Beck

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:10 pm

One thing - What does "db" mean? It is probably obvious and I am just over-complicating it, but please answer.

Post Reply