P5 debates

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

What are your beliefs

Christian
26%
there is something out there (spiritual)
18%
non-Christian who believes In a god
10%
atheist
46%

Total votes: 39

JuliusCaesar

P5 debates

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri May 07, 2010 4:44 am

Hey I'd just like to clear up a few things on the arguments a bunch of people (including me) had on p5. First off if u believe in god, fine, go ahead, I'm not trying to make fun if you, I just like a bit of trolling (tbh) and some verbal jousting to keep my wits. But I do not forgive those damn America bashing canadians >:) lol jking. Also I'm a bit curious of the beliefs of the starport community, just curious, so if u want answer the poll. Also, I had to emergency log off because if my dad found me on that as late as it was I would have been castrated with a pencil mk?

General_Neox

Re: P5 debates

Post by General_Neox » Fri May 07, 2010 6:59 am

LMFAO that was lulz.

"And that is why I have a problem with your religion"

If I was to write my beliefs I wouldn't stop, and would be here for hours xD. Those that heard me speak on P5 know this :P

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri May 07, 2010 10:39 am

This should be moved to the Garbage Chute. Even then, it'll be locked as soon as a militant theist and a militant atheist grind the thread to a flaming war.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Its only a matter of time, lmao.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I my self don't believe in an actual god, but I believe and like the idea of god. Religion is the driving force in this world, whether it be for good or bad, the idea of a god keeps this world from complete and utter chaos. All the time you hear people say, god helped me do this, or god helped me do that, or I couldn't have done it without gods help. This i say is good, if the mere idea of a god helps people accomplish their goals, then by all means let them believe. There are times when I myself wish I could believe in god.

Ong-Bak

Post by Ong-Bak » Fri May 07, 2010 2:36 pm

nine-breaker wrote:I my self don't believe in an actual god, but I believe and like the idea of god. Religion is the driving force in this world, whether it be for good or bad, the idea of a god keeps this world from complete and utter chaos. All the time you hear people say, god helped me do this, or god helped me do that, or I couldn't have done it without gods help. This i say is good, if the mere idea of a god helps people accomplish their goals, then by all means let them believe. There are times when I myself wish I could believe in god.
It does? Thats why most of the war around the world is over religion lol but ok nine w/e you think. and btw the world is chaos anyways :lol:

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Fri May 07, 2010 3:00 pm

And so it begins :roll:

If I cared enough I'd be a nihilist xD

/lock

Destructo

Post by Destructo » Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

what happened to Evolution theory?
A lot of us KNOW that is how we as Human's began.
and knowing how some of you think.
you don't have to be an atheist to believe in the Evolution theory,
nor the other way around.
Meaning you don't have to believe in the theory of Evolution to be an Atheist.

All being said and done
You Need to amend the poll.

Also<
Ong-Bak wrote: It does? Thats why most of the war around the world is over religion lol but ok nine w/e you think. and btw the world is chaos anyways :lol:
You don't think this is so stupid to argue or war over?

Neither side can prove nor disprove so it is a moot point.

War is grown up's being childish trying to control other human's minds and action's

When people grow up and realize each person has a right to believe in and do as they wish.
Flame wars and Real Wars would cease to exist and Peace and Harmony would prevail.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Fri May 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Ong-Bak wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:I my self don't believe in an actual god, but I believe and like the idea of god. Religion is the driving force in this world, whether it be for good or bad, the idea of a god keeps this world from complete and utter chaos. All the time you hear people say, god helped me do this, or god helped me do that, or I couldn't have done it without gods help. This i say is good, if the mere idea of a god helps people accomplish their goals, then by all means let them believe. There are times when I myself wish I could believe in god.
It does? Thats why most of the war around the world is over religion lol but ok nine w/e you think. and btw the world is chaos anyways :lol:
There are very few wars that our fought over religion, due to the fact that there are very few leaders that truly believe in any religion. Most leaders just believe in their own power, and use a god to appeal to the people.

and notice where I said
nine-breaker wrote:Religion is the driving force in this world, whether it be for good or bad
where bad is also mentioned.
Ong-Bak wrote:btw the world is chaos anyways
If you think any part of this world is chaos, you are sorely mistaken, believe it or not, this world is in a decent order, take that order away, and you will have as close to true anarchy as can exist, though true anarchy is a contradiction. If you were to wake up, and all government, and religion (which is just another form of government) was taken away, you would understand what I am trying to say. Open your mind to the bigger picture ong.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri May 07, 2010 5:47 pm

This is flame bait...and I'm moving it to the Garbage Chute.

Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny » Fri May 07, 2010 6:46 pm

:idea:
Last edited by Bugs Bunny on Fri May 07, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 pm

LOl wasn't trying to start a flame fest, was trying to asses the beliefs of starporters and see their arguments in comparison with that one we had on p5. Don't really have much to add to this thread other than that tbh, I'm argued out lol. And it kinda is starport related inthe sense that the debate began when Zeus and insain were arguing, and Zeus mentioned how he serves his country (USA), leading to a pro America/anti-America debate, which led to the middle east, then religion. Lol we need to dig up more controvery for when we r bored :D

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri May 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Where is agnostic?

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 pm

IMO there really isn't a middle ground, ur either faintly spiritual or u just don't see the light. But I'll be honest I didn't think of that. Still I don't see a middle ground.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm

Dave34 wrote:The problem with religion is... theirs too many of them O.o no one accepts another's beliefs, if your Muslim your going to hell because your not a Christian, if your a Christian your going to hell because your not a Muslim... yeah makes a ton of sense to me.

Religion is just a way to gain power over other people. Sorry if I'm hating on your religion, just seeing it from my eyes...
Religion defies science and thus I do not agree with much of it.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon May 10, 2010 12:02 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
Dave34 wrote:The problem with religion is... theirs too many of them O.o no one accepts another's beliefs, if your Muslim your going to hell because your not a Christian, if your a Christian your going to hell because your not a Muslim... yeah makes a ton of sense to me.

Religion is just a way to gain power over other people. Sorry if I'm hating on your religion, just seeing it from my eyes...
Agreed - Science can be proven, religion cannot be. You would not believe what they teach you in science class if it was not proven. So why should you believe what someone writes in a book with no evidence/proof?

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 am

Saber-Fury wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:

Agreed - Science can be proven, religion cannot be. You would not believe what they teach you in science class if it was not proven. So why should you believe what someone writes in a book with no evidence/proof?
Maybe they are gullible? (Yes, this is PURE flame-bait...)

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 am

U guys need to play p5 lol ^^ all on that massive debate.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:U guys need to play p5 lol ^^ all on that massive debate.
This guy sums up religion the best way I have ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55h1FO8V_3w

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 am

You should have screen-shotted it Julis, lol.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Lol it would take a few screenshots :P but yea next time I'll keep my eyes open.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sun May 23, 2010 5:25 am

Lol how about that Communism v. CapItalism debate on Friday :D
sadly I forgot to take screenies.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:55 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:Lol how about that Communism v. CapItalism debate on Friday :D
sadly I forgot to take screenies.
Hows about a debate on whether pure communism is possible or not? You should start one.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sun May 23, 2010 5:32 pm

No that's a dumb one (no offense), in that debate we pretty much agreed that pure communism is impossible.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:44 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:No that's a dumb one (no offense), in that debate we pretty much agreed that pure communism is impossible.
I would gladly be the opposing side (although I agree). I have thought about it and it would work under conditions that don't exist :P.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm

lmfao. nine breaker wins this thread.

on topic: not caring ftw

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Here comes the opinion of MadAce, the epitome of logic and reason.

I make a distinction between God and religion.

Religion is just another tool in humanity's toolbox, to be changed at will and as needed. Therefore all responsibility for the use of religion lies with humans, not god or the concept of religion.

As for God...

I define God as "An image of a supernatural being; an idol.", well more or less. That's the definition in the dictionary that closest matched my definition.

If we adhere to this view, then I'm inclined to say... God exists. How, is quite the explanation.

BTW, about that pathetic religion vs science argument. Comparing bicycles to apples, really. Science explains the how, religion the why. Simple as that.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 pm

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

-Epicurus

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 pm

nine-breaker wrote:“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

-Epicurus
What a childishly narrow-minded view on such complicated concepts.