History of the world!

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

McGrod

History of the world!

Post by McGrod » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Okies sorry for my absence to those who I was corped with (I hadnt really left :p ) will log back into game at some point.

Now onto the topic heres a view of American History :

This leads to imageshack and is quite big

Other countries history needed :D

McGrod

Re: History of the world!

Post by McGrod » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:51 pm

please note this is a wildly inaccurate thread designed for a forum war on world histories where intelligent ignorance rules...do no take it for fact.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:55 pm

I'd say it's immensely accurate.

Camaril

Post by Camaril » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:55 pm

so Mcgrod is back?

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

it's U.S. militairy history, not history of the world

and it seems to be opinionized...

Frozen.Soul

Post by Frozen.Soul » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm

MadAce wrote:I'd say it's immensely accurate.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

MadAce wrote:I'd say it's immensely accurate.
Although it is extremely hilarious, the bias it presents is idiotically obvious but some parts were fairly accurate (America HAS committed dozens of atrocities throughout its military history among other things). This is close enough to the truth that I give it a... thumbs up^^.
-nox- wrote:it's U.S. militairy history, not history of the world

and it seems to be opinionized...
Opinionated? The author does not even TRY to hide his/her bias. Either way, it says in fine print that it was made by trollmart.blogpost.com. It is obviously a joke.

Camaril

Post by Camaril » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:17 pm

luv it btw :)

devilwolf

Post by devilwolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Major

Post by Major » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Because Nine asked me in all caps to "remove this post now". I deleted his.

A few things in there I found very funny, some very accurate, and still some highly offensive.

"A few people in NYC were killed" ...Thats not funny.

The U.S. and U.K. don't need to have a dick measuring contest on the SGE forums. Offtopic or not.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 am

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
Albert Einstein

Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.
William Samuel Johnson

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 am

The idea was to turn patriotism on its head theres no dick measuring contests between usa and uk.

UK had the largest empire known to man through being outnumberd and generally brutish the usa is simply the usa.

I was expecting something for other countries as a balance so its not a simple lets just rip the usa. (although a number of those not a us citizen have to put up with being bombarded with films of equal ignorance and being constantly misinformed how the usa bailed the world out in two world wars...lets forget the term 'World War') .

I liked the football one so stuff like that or harsher.....literally any country can be a target.

One is considering doing a polish one however there egos are equally delicate and misinformed (poles generally believe they single handedly won the battle of britain yet have little knowledge of there own resistance groups who according to wiki accounted for 1k german soldiers kia a month)

edit : I found Fox news highly offensive on the london bombing...London bombed! see how many people died! after the break! . But it allows for me to sit bac and feel smug that I am more intelligent and compassionate and worldly...in fact I am practicaly Gandalf compared to Fox news.

Camaril

Post by Camaril » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 pm

devilwolf wrote:Image
look at the guys face :lol:

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

McGrod wrote:The idea was to turn patriotism on its head theres no dick measuring contests between usa and uk.

UK had the largest empire known to man through being outnumberd and generally brutish the usa is simply the usa.

I was expecting something for other countries as a balance so its not a simple lets just rip the usa. (although a number of those not a us citizen have to put up with being bombarded with films of equal ignorance and being constantly misinformed how the usa bailed the world out in two world wars...lets forget the term 'World War') .

I liked the football one so stuff like that or harsher.....literally any country can be a target.

One is considering doing a polish one however there egos are equally delicate and misinformed (poles generally believe they single handedly won the battle of britain yet have little knowledge of there own resistance groups who according to wiki accounted for 1k german soldiers kia a month)

edit : I found Fox news highly offensive on the london bombing...London bombed! see how many people died! after the break! . But it allows for me to sit bac and feel smug that I am more intelligent and compassionate and worldly...in fact I am practicaly Gandalf compared to Fox news.
One, holy crap! You are a wizard? Jajaja!

Two, every country on earth has done some... bad... things. History is a collection of the crappy actions of country's who used patriotism or fear to make people do whatever the hug was needed to achieve whatever plans they had. The fact that the U.S.A. was among the last countries to end slavery, end segregation, end woman's suffrage, and join either of the two world wars are all true. However, I must say several things about the what the first post said (in no particular order)
  • 1) People are not told that "America saved everyone during WW1/2" in school. People ARE told about the heroic acts of the Soviets during the battle of Stalingrad (among others), how Britain was the first country to hold its own effectively against the German advance, etc. People ARE told about how the fact that we threw TWO nuclear missiles in Japan's face at civilian targets along with incendiary bombs at other Japanese cities and how it is still debated whether that was a good idea.
    • Note: Eisenhower is over-glorified here as being the leader of basically the entirety of the Allied force in Europe at the end of WWII. The textbooks here do talk of how the U.S.A was valuable support to the European Allies during WWI after Russia was forced to Surrender in the final months after their under-trained, under-equipped units were overwhelmed by the German and Austrio-Hungarian (hope this is how you say it)superior weaponry and better-trained troops. However, on this note, I'd say that the United States is not completely wrong in being slightly glorified as it was not "mopping up the final enemies," the allies and the Germans were fairly evenly matched at that point if I remember, Russia had exited the war and Italy had joined the allies while Austria-Hungary had left the war/was in the process of doing so. The U.S.A. is depicted in the textbooks as having been useful in that the troops were not battle-weary and were able to be used to supplement depleted forces of the French and the British. It is never said that they single-handedly kicked the German arses, only that they were fairly useful in fighting off the Germans.
  • 2) Not everyone is an idiot here, only 80% of the population :P.
  • 3) America has done some very hugged up things including not supporting Argentina during Britain's attack on our Island even though they had signed a treaty in which they promised to protect South American countries from outside invasion.
Either way, hilarious stuff. I love laughing my arse off. Also, does anyone know if there a crapload of stupid people in your countries too? (off-topicness FTW!)I know that every country has some stupid people, but what percentage do you think is stupid (try to tell me what your standard for stupid is). Don't worry, it can be a I love puppies number as long as it has the slightest amount of truth in it (like mine, I know I see craploads of stupid people every day, so I pulled 80% out of my donkey).

Major

Post by Major » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:22 am

MegaMan wrote:Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
Albert Einstein

Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.
William Samuel Johnson

Thanks Megaman.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:26 am

Thank you!

Mr. Johnson says patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, I myself think of it as the first.

On the subject of history of the world

“History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

:)

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm

MegaMan wrote:Thank you!

Mr. Johnson says patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, I myself think of it as the first.

On the subject of history of the world

History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

:)
I would like to add to that...

History is a set of lies agreed upon by the victors.