no
33%

Total votes: 36

MadAce

Official Vote

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Armor:

http://www.starportgame.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4639

Summarized Final Idea: (Going basic with this idea guys)

~Armor is as shields are Now (Shields Regenerate and you have to buy armor, Gives more realism to the game in my opinion)

~Shields regenerative for all ships (Different regen rates for different ships) also works well with the shield patch which increases the armor

~Shield EM's act as Shield Superconductors (regenerating faster despite type of ship)

~When shields Reach 0 it takes 10-20 seconds to start regenerating (so people can at least kill each other which would be impossible if shields regen all the time)

~ Shields cant regen on planet.

~ lower shield count to balance the game ( ISC 16k shields (buy) down to 5k (Regen) or something similar.

freeze new features and focus for a week on cleening up code.

VOTE FAILED
Last edited by MadAce on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeman

Post by Freeman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:05 am

LMAO it took me a few days to realize you added that to my idea. I see you are trying to make your idea pass by attaching it to my idea. lol which is fine by me since i like your idea.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 am

Base extent of gradual automatic repairs, and shield buying for reaching the regular maximum. [RP] Your ISC crew may be able to restore up to 5k of its shields on its own, but the rest needs professional work, and more materials than what they can gut from the innards of your half-scrapped craft. :mrgreen:

Dark9

Post by Dark9 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:41 pm

This make alot more sence....and is way more realistic.

duece

Post by duece » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:51 pm

The effects of this idea on combat are obvious. But think about how much easier invading would become. That should be considered, i dont think it has.

Freeman

Post by Freeman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:04 pm

robotchicken wrote:The effects of this idea on combat are obvious. But think about how much easier invading would become. That should be considered, i dont think it has.
heh it wasnt 100% complete and it ended up getting dropped a while back.

Perhaps shields wont regen for 30 min after landing on a planet however shields can still be bought.

Olterin

Post by Olterin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:47 am

Heh, actually, it has been put up as an idea there... but meh, nobody listened to me and it didn't get into the final idea here... I then proposed that shields only reduce damage done to armor by their percentage (e.g. 75% shields absorb 75% of incoming damage, armor receives 25%, shields get reduced by the amount of damage they receive (or to 0 if that value was more than total shield value)). That did actually balance it more or less, but was scrapped along the way. Sorry to put this into the sticky.

EDIT: I hope everyone realizes that with this, lasers would totally obliterate the shields in a matter of seconds to a point where the shields barely recieve and reduce any damage. Btw, for those who didn't bother to read that original thread, I also suggested that different ships have different shield hp and shield regen time values, for example the ISC as a combat ship with quite some armor would have comparatively long regen time and comparatively high shield hp value while a merf would have lower total shield hp but also much shorter regen time (so as to compensate for lack of offensive combat abilities, because each and every merchant ship that gets attacked by something bigger is atm doomed)
Last edited by Olterin on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petertje

Post by petertje » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:04 pm

don't let shields regenerate, just pay for the damn things

Olterin

Post by Olterin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:38 pm

petertje wrote:don't let shields regenerate, just pay for the damn things
You would actually have to pay for repairs.... of damage done to your armor. Guess what, it is actually possible to damage it. The shields are there to give you some thin cover, not more.

What I'd like to add there, is that new total HP of ships should not exceed current shield HP (that is, if an ISC gets 4k shields total, it shouldn't have more than 12k armor)

petertje

Post by petertje » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:10 pm

Olterin wrote:
petertje wrote:don't let shields regenerate, just pay for the damn things
You would actually have to pay for repairs.... of damage done to your armor. Guess what, it is actually possible to damage it. The shields are there to give you some thin cover, not more.

What I'd like to add there, is that new total HP of ships should not exceed current shield HP (that is, if an ISC gets 4k shields total, it shouldn't have more than 12k armor)
ahhh ok thnx, can i revote ? i want "yes" now

duece

Post by duece » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:46 am

The idea needs more consideration and balancing. I do like olterins idea tho. So as to not completly screw with everything

Freeman

Post by Freeman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:43 am

I am going to repost this idea in a new thread so everyone can get another shot at it. I am liking Olterin's idea to add here.