[IDEA] Hireable NPC Mercenaries (new overview)

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Good Or Bad Offical Poll for submission

Good
76%
Bad
24%

Total votes: 17

rowe6969

[IDEA] Hireable NPC Mercenaries (new overview)

Post by rowe6969 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:13 am

Hireable NPC’s “Mercenaries”

/pickup <material/Weapon/people> <number/max> only used inside colonies

/drop <material/weapon/people> <number/max>

Used anywhere if used outside all hardware, people, weapons are lost , if used in colony they go to correct place

/attack <name> must be in same system, if player leaves system NPC follows

/attack attacks anything in system, NPC's use any hardware it is carrying

/defend <name> defends an player in system if player leaves System NPC follows

/defend Defends self doesnt auto attack only attacks player/npcs that attack first

/stay NPC holds position

/go <co-ords> sends NPC to co-ords can also be name of system or name of planet (real name e.g" procyon IVb etc)

/return NPC returns to owner

/Fire <npc name> sacks NPC , NPC leaves command and flys to nearest starport/base.

/Fireall Fires all NPC’s

/scan NPC lands on all non controlled planets and scans and reports back the weight of the planet and the name of any sleepers (MAYBE THIS ONE)

/Shield (can only be done in a system with a port) NPC’s Land and reshield cost of shields are sent to you (note) These do not effect shield price’s.

OVERVIEW

Have NPC avaible to hire in Starport and Starbases. Mercenaries would work like coloniest at a starbase they run out and more appear over time to prevent people having to many.

Once in Starport and go to lounge and there is a “look for mercenary screen” you are then prompted by a screen with a list of Names (ship captains)

Once clicked on a captains name I view like in holding appears on the right of the screen, displaying ship, rank, and stats of that captain

Cost are run per hour and cost depend on the Ship and the rank of the captain.
Such as 10K per rank so civilian merc cost 10K and private/delinquent cost 20K ETC

All ships are hireable besides the IG ship.

A limit of 3 mercenaries at one time.

The Mercenary Fees Are shown Once an hour with the name and cost of the NPC like with the colonial Empire

Mercenaries Come with weapons depending on there Rank the higher the rank the Greater the weapon.

EXP when with mercenaries is divided between all NPC’s and the player, doesn’t matter who makes the kill.

This Stops people from getting hugh fleet to hunt high ranked players for the EXP.

NPC’s also gain titles and once they gain a title there costs also go up as well.

Vote please

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 am

I didn't read it but it sound cool. hehehe.

Maybe rather than actually having a crapload of text commands to learn we just have an npc fleet control panel.

btw I was kinda thinking the more npcs gain rank the cost actually goes down. Gives you more permanent helpers. For example a small time player might have a small gang of loyal pirates while a higher ranked agressive player would just keep replacing lost ships because of constant battles.

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:45 pm

MuTAnT wrote: btw I was kinda thinking the more npcs gain rank the cost actually goes down. Gives you more permanent helpers. For example a small time player might have a small gang of loyal pirates while a higher ranked agressive player would just keep replacing lost ships because of constant battles.
Thats Goods !!! to hire high ranked NPC's cost more per hour but once they gain EXP with you and have more "trust and lloyality" payments could go do !! i like

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 pm

w00t yeah! Rock on let's get this implemented in the next patch! =)

Also for a bit of fun if you sack a pirate npc there's a chance depending on your current fleet's strength that he gets angry and opens fire on you =)

kswisher

Post by kswisher » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:29 am

im loving it, but it will never happen... keep dreaming

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:55 am

Toonces will finally realise what we want. Let's get some "EMPIRES" going! Why should my empire be shown only by follower's in my profile? It's so small an means little.

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 pm

whhy not be able to build an army every empire EVER has had one so why cant we have them in Starport Galactic "EMPIRE" army wont have to be hugh like i said limit them to 3 or 4 or somthing but this would make combat so much more tactical as you would hire diffent ships for different things like a merhcant freighter can distroy nukes dead but couldnt fight worth a dam

and avenger would be like a stealth bomber doing sneak attacks but i sujest a limit of one ship type per fleet other wise people would be runing an army of ISC's

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 pm

i dont get it all these happy post then all of a sudden DEAD come on guys if you want it VOTE if not VOTE bad

lets try and get this idea in the Game

Nova
Location: Sitting on my computer trying to get my avatar to 16kb even though half of them are over 25kb...

Post by Nova » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:09 pm

I like it. if we can get toonces to go along with it i think itd be fun. i agree that it should be limited to 3 per player and 1 of each ship only but that still would be really really fun. :twisted:

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 am

Make it 5, I mean sometimes you get NPC gangs of up to 20 why not give us 'least 5? I want big battles and I don't think types of ships should be limited. That's just donkey.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:44 am

4 would be sensible... So a bunch of players getting together don't have a sizeable task force that suddenly gets aggro'd for no reason, and starts to shoot everything that moves :lol:

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:33 pm

MuTAnT wrote: I want big battles and I don't think types of ships should be limited. That's just donkey.

The Whole point of limiting it is to balance it out how would you like it if you was flying along and all of a sudden you being chased by 5 ISC's?
all equiped with nukes ? your pretty much dead. the whole point of 1 of each type is there will never be more than 2 of a ship (including owner)

so it gives more of a tacitcal feel to the game when it comes to battles ALSO people would be able to max colonies in minutes with 5 Dreamsowers or 5 Whales.

See think of this
Fleet setup

(player): ISC
1:ISC this is main attacking ship built for all out offensive
2: Avenger : the Sneaky Steath bomber hides at range and make quick fly bye's
3:merchant freighter : the anti Nuke machine as it stops all projectiles 1 by 1 in space
4:Whale Keeps enemies from getting 2 close to you or any other long range troops
5: battle ship : another all out offensive

Each ship would be giving a trait as to how they would act in combat

such as a vulture would keep at range firing missies this could be CRAZY with 5 of them yes easy to distroy by 5 all firing missies from different direction the whole point of limiting the army to 1 ship of each time is to keep balance.

other wise really RICH people would never lose there army of ISC's with maybe 1 sethdar which makes you a sitting duck.

but maybe limit from 3 to 4 NPC which you can control to stop armies from getting 2 big but enough ships to make the fights a little bit interesting

EDIT

Also NPC would be treated as temp corp members to prevent them attacking each other and other corp members while battling

this would make wars interesting as well when you dont know what ships the other army will have

coz on boundless a 4 V 4 war is nearly always each player wither has sethdar or ISC and its easy to tell which they will have coz they will be either RED or Yellow

so this would add a bit of un certainity to the whole combat edge

Dark9

Post by Dark9 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:45 pm

I think this could actully work if approved.

Also u would definetly need to limit ship types it has people that go over board with just thier ship. An army of them would be insane.

Wrapper

Post by Wrapper » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

fighter idea is easier to program... almost exactly the same thing when it comes to defending and such

cargo... overpowered to vets (would you like us to have 3 dreamshowers working 24/7... we could complete colonies within minutes... how would you like that...)

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:58 pm

Wrapper wrote:fighter idea is easier to program... almost exactly the same thing when it comes to defending and such

cargo... overpowered to vets (would you like us to have 3 dreamshowers working 24/7... we could complete colonies within minutes... how would you like that...)

Have you not Read it ?

there is a limit 1 SHIP TYPE PER FLEET which mean no 3 dream sowers just 1 !! most is 2 including you!! then you could have 2 dreamsowers and 3 body guards !

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:43 pm

The limit of ships sux donkey. If you're just gonna have 3 you might as well be able to choose the ships. Besides, npcs use some of your warp fuel as well with this don't they? Well then if they were using 30warp fuel per hop even if you only got some of it you'd still feel it.

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:33 pm

MuTAnT wrote:The limit of ships sux donkey. If you're just gonna have 3 you might as well be able to choose the ships. Besides, npcs use some of your warp fuel as well with this don't they? Well then if they were using 30warp fuel per hop even if you only got some of it you'd still feel it.
No No No NPC do not use up your Fuel as well other wise charging per hour is point less but they do run out of fuel and need to regen just like you! and they will auto message you

when they hit a required fuel limit such as "sir were down to 150 fuel we cant go much farther" then with the /stay command so you can tell them to stay in a colony if you buy more warp fuel

the NPC are completely seperate from you !

you just pay to keep them

which is why moving funds directly to the bank from a colony via sent all new funds to bank option i have offered (in my post called banking) should be accepted as well or my corp banking idea as well that way you have large funds to maintain your ARMY.

but i agree 3 isnt enough lets make it 4 NPC STILL only 1 ship type per fleet.

but no they dont use same WF as you

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:48 am

well what's the point of that? I can buy 1 seth and then what? 1 battleship, 1 CEO flagship??? I mean he's not a CEO leader so can I buy that? Then a garbage barge? Wow... real bad donkey fleet. You've just nerfed it then... =(

rowe6969

Post by rowe6969 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 am

MuTAnT wrote:well what's the point of that? I can buy 1 seth and then what? 1 battleship, 1 CEO flagship??? I mean he's not a CEO leader so can I buy that? Then a garbage barge? Wow... real bad donkey fleet. You've just nerfed it then... =(

no you missed the point you can HIRE 1 of each ship type the ship you got doesnt effect it, oh yeah and the REALLY high ranked (if you hire a high ranked one) May have IG ship as well and way if you had an ISC then you can still hire an ISC !! you can only HIRE one ship of each type it keeps balance and stops the SUPER RICH from having an unstopable army newbs cant beat!