No
8%
Needs work (explain in topic)
8%

Total votes: 24

Bagheera

[IDEA] New Weapon: Mass Accellerator, One Mo' Time

Post by Bagheera » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:57 pm

Since new ships are surely much harder to design, and a new weapon is sorely lacking because everyone with the money uses a gravity beam, I believe that a new weapon would be a good idea, and add just as much variety as a new ship. Since there is not really any "sniper" primary, I thought I'd suggest one. What it is, a white flash in front of the ship, about half the length of a deathray, and a projectile, rounded in shape like a bullet, about 1/3 the width of a ship flies out at about 2/3 faster than a laser cannon, followed by a red, quickly evaporating trail for "flashyness" It uses 295 energy per shot, and does 320 shields worth of damage. The delay in between shots is about 4/5 of a second, to keep people from firing a "sniper" weapon very quickly, and a mass accellerator would take time to reload and cool. The range is quite far, and goes about 1/3 farther than the laser gun. To keep things even (if it is possible on the game engine) it would not be overly damaging to turrets, to make base invading not radically changed.

Cost: 2200000

The other one was requested locked by me. Please keep it civil and stop arguing over stupid trivial things. By the way, it was supposed to by a gunshot (like a bullet powered by an explosion or other reaction) and accellerated by electromagnets.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:27 pm

I think it is a very good idea, few comments and suggestions follow...

It has about the same hit points as a photon torpedo, which means a few things, it is not overly powerful, not giving a huge advantage to who is using it. Also, it may improve the use of IG ships as one of the biggest complaints I hear is that the firewave is useless in invading.

Rate of fire, I don't know how long 3/4 of a second is but I think since its closest relative is the photon torpedo, speed comparable to that might be fair, say twice as fast as photons.

The 1/3 width of ship, this depends on what ship you compare it to, I think that is about a photons size, seems fair.

150 energy to fire seems low, it seems like a substantial weapon and 150 really isn't that much...250-300 maybe

Speed of projectile, I don't usually stick around long enough to see how fast the lasers are going....

Time to cool and reload, how many shots until it reloads and how long does this take?

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 pm

It's meant as a primary, that's why it has a cost with it. That's what I meant then I said it was a substitute for the grav gun. The reload and cool time is the delay between shots.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:35 pm

I know it is a primary :)

I just used the ISC's special to compare it to

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:23 am

I'm just wondering, but do idea for weapons or ships actually ever get created? I mean, has anyone's idea on the forums for a new ship or weapon ever actually been created?

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:26 am

Not to my knowledge.

I noticed that stuff that requires lots of new artwork doesn't get implemented.

Tho I'm sure Toonces would implement a ship/weapon.

But maybe he feels the current ones need to be perfected before new ones get added.

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:53 am

Well, that's kind of depressing. I don't guess I'll send anymore ship or weapon ideas then. I can understand though.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 am

NO NO, please do, yours was very good, one of the biggest reasons they never get in I think is because they cause radical game play change and are too hard to implement, they usually suck and the person making them is about the only one who would want it...., this one seems reasonable, and if nobody suggests them there is no way of them ever being put in, and besides, the good ones are fun to comment on even if they don't get added....keep them coming if they are good, cause most aren't and I am looking for a change.

Tifi

Post by Tifi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:29 pm

This idea is awesome and is hereby stamped with the seal of common sense :-P

kswisher

Post by kswisher » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 am

loved the idea first post, still love it now... OFFICIAL POLL DAMMIT!

DarthEspectro

Post by DarthEspectro » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Ok, this weapon sounds cool; though it is more expensive than the ISC which comes with a comparable photon weapon. Though if one thinks about it, the ISC/Grav combo costs 5m together whereas a smaller ship(maybe even avenger or your ECM Stealth Cruiser thing for stealth sniping :twisted: ) with this would save considerable credits. So that negates the cost factor involved with this ship that could have been used(though for top corps they could probably afford to waste more on ISC/Grav).

And Pirates or other neg-rep guys like the ISC for its shields and photon ability, yet because of rep they can't get one. This weapon would allow pirates(and newbies who saved up a couple mil but don't have the +5k rep needed for ISC) to have the ISC photon sniping ability at the cost of a different primary. Though combine this with a Vulture or a stealth-capable craft, or any respectable ship for that matter, and you got a powerful ship that if used right can beat the mighty ISC. and it would bring up more wants for the IG, as then you'd have Fireballs for the short range weapon(the reasoning behind using Grav on ISC) and a long range sniping weapon comparable to the photons. :)

At the very least it would replace some ISC/Gravs with IG/Snipers, and since IG is tokens only, it'll increase the player to player market for tokens and encourage donations, and that means this game will last longer. :D

Olterin

Post by Olterin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Looks like it's time to comment on this one as well :D

Soo.... what do we have here? A sniping weapon, about on par with the ISC photon. That's actually great, because atm the ISC/Grav/Nukes combo is pretty much the best I'm aware of (due to sniping ability, close range ability and ,well, nukes :roll: ), although a Sethdar with a fusion blaster can get mean (had a corpmate of mine do that in a duel once, he was close enough to beating me with that (me in ISC with grav)). So, imagine a seth with EMP and harder hitting sniper shots..... any pilot who can't evade is pretty much screwed. At any rate, the game is currently lacking a powerful weapon for longrange (a primary, not a secondary one, mind) as you can't really compare fusion blaster or the explosive charges to the photon torp that comes with only one ship :roll:
Last edited by Olterin on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bruceinater

Post by Bruceinater » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:38 am

if a guy is in a big battle with low shields and this is his primary weapon he shoots, hides shoots, hides shoots oh wait but then the guy dies...

make bigger energy drain no shield drain

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:16 am

Have you ever even played the game?!?! If you are in a big battle you don't have time to shoot, hide, shoot, hide....

go get an ISC and try that, should have about the same impact as this would, let us know how it turns out

fc102

Post by fc102 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:24 am

And unless you're on a planet, what do you hide behind? Maybe the star, but you're gonna get hit bad coming around the star to fire a shot if your opponent has a grav.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Heh, nukes go through suns XD

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:59 am

Even though one of these will never get made, I just made a poll for the fun of it, just to see what people think of my idea.

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:06 am

I like this idea very much, and Mua'Dib says there are other weapons being considered so I figure we should be enthusiastic about this one, and therefore

iBump

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:09 am

Seems okay, something like a photon at least.

I want some reason to use a weapon besides grav, which is one reason i suggested the death ray topic. Right now if you're evil seth+explosives or if you're good isc+grav is the norm.

Heck seth+grav is common too but it has so many drawbacks...

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:12 am

Don't forget about how you could use it on your IG to do what you do with ISC, I know you were annoyed when you were cursed to your seth so you used IG, which doesn't have photons to do all that ring and superwide cracking and anyother layout that is easy with photons

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:03 am

I just lost 9000+ rep taking ONE colony so I'm using a seth, heh... And I think this would be perfect, because the reason I'm losing fights now is because I can't fight from a distance, while the enemy isc fires photons.. I think this weapon would be perfect for what starport ge needs.

edit: btw, thanks furiae for the support

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:23 am

HeHe, I used to be losing 45k for the colonies I have been taking (cosrin members)

but that is nothing compared to the noob who I let shoot me down who now has a red ISC, blowing up me = -240k rep

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 am

Wow.. what kind of colony do you have to take to lose 45k rep? :O

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:32 am

Unity, pretty high unity, 5k population, owned by someone with alot of rep, 45k thereabouts is the max.

Gomba

Post by Gomba » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:38 am

Usally in battles, dont we just .... shoot nukes out of our a$$'s untill the other one dies first type a thing? but thats just waht i do.. anyway,
This weapon idea is a good one, and yeah we COULD use a little more ships.. in the game.. cause these ones are gettin old.. (no offense toonces). and then Starport would ahve more stuff!!! therefore making it funner! :wink:

Furiae

Post by Furiae » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:45 am

More fun*

New weapon/s first, easier to implement I think than new ships, change a few lines of code for a fusion blast (damage, energy drain, rate of fire, range), make a new set of graphics for it, and audio files, it all sounds rather easy, but it would be a bit harder than that I am sure, but I don't see it taking weeks...Toonces could do it in an hour I bet ;)

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm

One of the few ideas I've voted in favour of in recent times

Keep it up, I'd love to see this in the game

Wrapper

Post by Wrapper » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:44 pm

100% so far

you got my support

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:02 am

Could the person who voted "needs work" please tell me what needs work about it?